PDA

View Full Version : Engine Nology Spark Plug Wires

Ryan King
01-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Hey Folks!

Quick Question (With Poll Response!)

My DeLorean has a Stage II Crate Motor engine in it. When the work was done down at DMC-CA, they installed the Nology Spark Plug wires kit into my car. So far the wires have logged around 37,000 miles.
(http://store.delorean.com/p-6874-nology-hotwires.aspx)

My question to you is..

I see that the wires are very expensive to buy new. I need to do a water pump replacement here shortly, and am contemplating replacing the plugs, cap, rotor and possibly the wires while "I am in there". I wanted to get your guys' opinion on replacing them...

Should I replace them? Or do you think they have more life to live? Just clean them up and re-install them? Thoughts, Concerns, Comments, please!

-Ryan

WelmoedJ
01-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Although the material spark plug wires are made of deteriorate over the years they can last for may years (example: the plug wires in my Pontiac are still good after 15 years of service and 155k miles).

Deterioration sources are dirt, heat, wrong handling (pulling, twisting, stretching).
Be careful with the solution used to clean: the wrong solution may speed up deterioration.

My first thought is: leave them alone: if it aint broke, don't fix it!

sean
01-12-2012, 06:27 AM
if it aint broke, don't fix it!

QFT! Exactly what I was going to say.

stevedmc
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Based on my current $500 maintenance idea, if it ain't broke dont fix it. If they do break, I would invest in a set of MSD wires. I think Hervey sells them for less than $100 and its even captain carburetor approved.

Bitsyncmaster
01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
From what I see in photos of Nology wires is there is a short section that has a shield over the wire. If that is the magic they claim than I would junk them and use a standard set of wire.

thirdmanj
01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I've been running The complete Nology set up since my Stage II modification from DMCFL. I've had no issues with them and have noticed significant power benefits. However since I've only driven the car with the complete Stage II set up I can't say for certain. But from the laymans perspective the Nology set up seems very well constructed. I will continue to run Nology. SILVER TIPS ALL THE WAY BABY!!!

AdmiralSenn
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I haven't personally tested the claim, but I think someone did a dyno test and showed that with ONLY changing the wires between Nology and standard plug wires, the Nology units actually decreased net performance by something like 3 hp.

I run MSD 8.5mms from Hervey with no issues.

But I agree that if they're working don't waste time or money replacing them yet.

Delorean Industries
01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
I haven't personally tested the claim, but I think someone did a dyno test and showed that with ONLY changing the wires between Nology and standard plug wires, the Nology units actually decreased net performance by something like 3 hp.

I run MSD 8.5mms from Hervey with no issues.

But I agree that if they're working don't waste time or money replacing them yet.

That was DPI a few years back and it was documented extensively on the talk.com site. Since the Nology product isn't only available to DMC and even we stock the set (our wires are red though instead) it was safe to openly smash the fact that they suck compared to bone stock good condition Bosch set.

I will need to dig up the dyno charts BUT I believe the car put down 147whp consistently on a very conservative Mustang Dynometer. That as one of our base camshafts offerings as well with a SPEC II upgrade.

Ron
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree with if it ain't broke don't fix it here. However, since basically they are converting an inductive discharge system into capacitive discharge, kinda-sorta [The braided shield Bitsy mentioned is for an in-line capacitor], swapping, the wires "ONLY" and comparing on a dino is hardly fair. (Spark duration is different (much shorter), which requires different timing, etc, etc...Bottom line- a different spark requires a different setup.) Sound familiar?
I'm NOT implying there are benefits to be gained if you re-tune. To the contrary, a D engine does not turn the RPMs or have the pressure to reap the benefits they offer. (NOt to mention they can play the comparison game unfairly as well...does "conventional" mean HEI, even MSD...or breaker point ;-)