PDA

View Full Version : General New Fan Fail unit

Bitsyncmaster
01-12-2012, 06:32 AM
This new unit I have was described on the old .com forum. Anyway, I did a major screw up and got some software with a bug into the last 15 units I built. The bug does let let change the current compair of the two fans from the defualt setting of 20%.

So I'm offering these units with the bug at a discount. Price will be $65.

My car now has one because my fans worked great even setting a 10% current check. But other people have needed to set 30% for their cars. It may be some wiring fault causing their current compare to need that setting. or it just may be using my fan relay or the removal of the circuit breaker helps with my car so much.

PM me if you want to purchase one of these units. This unit replaces the jumpers in the fan fail socket with a fused "block" that restores the fan fail light operation.

sdg3205
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
This new unit I have was described on the old .com forum. Anyway, I did a major screw up and got some software with a bug into the last 15 units I built. The bug does let let change the current compair of the two fans from the defualt setting of 20%.

So I'm offering these units with the bug at a discount. Price will be $65.

My car now has one because my fans worked great even setting a 10% current check. But other people have needed to set 30% for their cars. It may be some wiring fault causing their current compare to need that setting. or it just may be using my fan relay or the removal of the circuit breaker helps with my car so much.

PM me if you want to purchase one of these units. This unit replaces the jumpers in the fan fail socket with a fused "block" that restores the fan fail light operation.

What does that translate to, Dave? Does that mean the Fan Fail warning light will either fail to illuminate when a fan dies or illuminate when there is no failure?

Ozzie
01-12-2012, 01:34 PM
As I understand:

This module that Dave has developed is smart enough to advise when just one of the fans fails (triggers the "Fan Fail" light), this is great because even the OEM one did not do that. His updated module does this by comparing the current draw of each of the two fans, against each other. Anything higher than the threshold comparison (default 20%, but adjustable), will trigger the light.

The units that he is offering, have a locked threshold of 20%, which should work for most cars but he has found that some cars (probably with degraded wiring, dirty fuse contacts, original older fans in bad condition, etc), have required a threshold trigger as high as 30%.

Sounds like a really good deal.
Did I get that right, Dave?

Bitsyncmaster
01-12-2012, 04:56 PM
The unit will indicate a bad fan circuit by checking for 2 amps draw as the threshold. So a blown fuse or bad connection will always flash the fan fail indicator. But I also do another test that compares each fan current and turns on the fan fail light if that current difference is exceeded. That would be a warning of something going wrong with a fan.

I may be able to program the unit to one of the other compare values (20%, 30% or none). My bug was incrementing the address where I save the value. So if I roll over the address (program it 256 times) the correct address will be saved that one time.