PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Fitting sizes

Spittybug
01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I need some quick help please. I tried searching the forums because I know this was asked before, but it must have been the old site. This would be good information to archive.

What is the size/thread of the outlet of the stock fuel filter
What is the size/thread of the couplings right at the hard line that goes back to the fuel tank. There are two fittings here, one into the other.

I've spec'd out the fuel rails, hoses, pressure regulator, gauge and all fittings for the stock manifold EFI conversion project, but can't remember what these sizes are to integrate into the car's existing system. I thought I'd check with the gurus on this board before I go and disassemble mine to check.

Thanks.

Ron
01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Bosch 0 450 905 401
Inlet: [F] M14 x 1.5
Outlet: [F] M12 x 1.5
Total Length: 130 mm
Diameter: 75 mm
Pressure: 5.0 Bar (72.518872 psi)

Spittybug
01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Awesome Ron, thanks. Anyone know the return line dimensions?

Spittybug
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Confirmed.... I went to ACE and used their display board to check the size/pitch.

Fuel filter is as Ron says, 12mm 1.5

The fitting in the return hose that goes to the pair of adapters on the hard line is SAE 1/2" 20 pitch! Looking it up, this crosses to an AN5 fitting (NOT common, of course). There is no NPT cross for an AN5. I have ordered an AN6 to AN5 (both male) reducer so that the fuel hose leaving the fuel regulator can mate to the existing hard line fitting. Keeping my fingers crossed. I believe I have successfully spec'd out the full range of fittings and hoses needed for this conversion.

AdmiralSenn
01-17-2012, 02:35 PM
The return line is in fact 1/2 20 SAE, just be aware that a lot of fittings for it are inverse flare and the one on the car is 'standard' flare. The threads don't really seal, just like regular AN parts the seal is made by the two flanges seating together. That's why I had to use a crushable ferrule on my return line - couldn't find any non-inverse flare parts and it leaked when I tried to use one.

Spittybug
01-17-2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/361/361-991907.jpg This is what it looks like. The shape of the smaller (AN5) side sure looks like the shape of the fitting we have in the hose. Keeping my fingers crossed. I used a crush washer when I did mine and while it looks ok and hasn't leaked at all, it is a little "ghetto".

AdmiralSenn
01-17-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm glad you found the AN-5 information. I've never been 100% comfortable with the crushed ferrule in there, and since I'm going to need to service that junction soon to add a check valve, that might be a good time to replace the adapter with a proper single piece unit.