PDA

View Full Version : Electrical About to order upgraded fans.. anyone have pics on there cars of either??

painterdave72
01-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Havent decided on herveys or tobys yet..does anyone have any pics of these installed on a car?? and if you got tobys did you get it with out the shroud and just use the stock one?? thanks..Dave..

Cory W
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I have Tobys fans in my car. Purchased without shroud, since mine was perfectly fine. They come ready to bolt and plug in, with NO modification required.

No pics right now. I can't even see the streetlight outside my window due to blizzard conditions, so pics are at least a day away.

The fans are phenomenal, IMO. Their thin profile allow you to replace the fans with little disassembly (the stock fans, however.....) They're significantly quieter than stock, and my car cools down faster than before. I've even been running without my Joe Cool since installation (September 2010) without a noticeable drop in voltage when they both kick in. (I'm keeping the JC for future applications, though)

My snowblowers are parked right in front of my car. I'll be digging out in the am, and can get pics at that time.

The Aviator
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
I have Tobys fans in my car. Purchased without shroud, since mine was perfectly fine. They come ready to bolt and plug in, with NO modification required.

No pics right now. I can't even see the streetlight outside my window due to blizzard conditions, so pics are at least a day away.

The fans are phenomenal, IMO. Their thin profile allow you to replace the fans with little disassembly (the stock fans, however.....) They're significantly quieter than stock, and my car cools down faster than before. I've even been running without my Joe Cool since installation (September 2010) without a noticeable drop in voltage when they both kick in. (I'm keeping the JC for future applications, though)

My snowblowers are parked right in front of my car. I'll be digging out in the am, and can get pics at that time.

Sounds exactly what I want! Unplug stock, plug in new upgrade! I would like
To see some pics to or link of where I can purchase these fans

Are they a flex-a-lite product?

Cory W
01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Sounds exactly what I want! Unplug stock, plug in new upgrade! I would like
To see some pics to or link of where I can purchase these fans

Are they a flex-a-lite product?

Here they are! (http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K4001DP-A&Category_Code=9475)

Need a shroud too? Go here! (http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K4001DP-AS&Category_Code=9475) $90 extra.

Granted, both sets are out of stock. They're worth the wait, if you can.

I'm not sure who makes them, only that they're great fans. Toby or Misty could answer that for you, though. They're very helpful.

rundmc
01-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Here are my Toby fans - very nice product

http://www.delorean6239.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-cooling-fans-installed.html

jawn101
01-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Here's Hervey's - been VERY happy with them, other than the fact that they're white blades; an exceedingly minor cosmetic complaint if there ever was one. They work great, are quiet, very low current, high airflow, and fit perfectly.

One drawback (also minor) was that they come with no connector on the end. You'll have to cut the connectors off your stock fans and solder/crimp it to the wires for connection. That was fine with me.

Good luck! The OEM fans are of fine quality but time has definitely marched on and provided us with better options, especially given the massive current the originals draw.

Michael
01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm definitely doing this over the winter. I hate the noise my stock fans make.

jmettee
01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Here are Toby's compared to stock. Quieter than stock & they don't suck down nearly as much power. I re-used my stock shroud after I repaired it (cracked & missing some material from a PO's accident.

painterdave72
01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
thanks for the pics guys!

MartyP
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm just about to that too. I bought Hervey's fan and rad. I cant wait to see how it goes.

jawn101
01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Good choice to do them both at once. It was kind of a huge pain to bolt new fans on to the existing rad and condenser without opening both systems. Very doable but it wasn't fun.

jfirios
01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
the stock fans looks like they would be a bitch to remove. How hard is it to remove them? Is there enough space to pull them out?

jawn101
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
the stock fans looks like they would be a bitch to remove. How hard is it to remove them? Is there enough space to pull them out?

Yeah, it can be done. You have to drop the radiator and take the supports off, remove the sway bar. It's very difficult when you're not removing the whole radiator assembly, but I did it in an afternoon.

jmettee
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I didn't have much trouble removing the old ones. Took off the radiator shroud, lower mounts, upper braces, and sway bar. Fans dropped out with a little moving around of the radiator & condenser, but was not a problem for my car.

jawn101
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I didn't have much trouble removing the old ones. Took off the radiator shroud, lower mounts, upper braces, and sway bar. Fans dropped out with a little moving around of the radiator & condenser, but was not a problem for my car.

Sorry, I should clarify - you're right, it wasn't as bad getting them off. Getting them back ON to the radiator was the more difficult part, given the tight workspace and the need not to strain the radiator tanks by moving it around too much. I had a lot of spinning nuts holding the fans to the radiator, so the added requirement of double-wrenching in that small space was certainly unwelcome :)

DeloreanJoshQ
01-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Here are pics of Toby's fans on my car:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/283565_10150737999685696_671145695_20121364_772440 4_n.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/jaq78/DSC08013.jpg

Hope this helps!

Josh Q

dvonk
01-20-2012, 11:35 PM
i have to say, if there ever were 'sexy' fans, those Toby fans are it! :thumbup: