PDA

View Full Version : Ranking of production cult cars

Sznaps
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Delorean fans,

Some time ago I made up my mind to take on small project during my free time and create ranking of most popular classic (not only) production cars.

Main goal was to do comparision of classic Japanese cars agains European and American makes.

It took me a while but here it is.

www.cultrides.com

Site is new so I am sure it still contains some bugs and data inaccuracy which I intend to remove systematically.
Also because of young age of this ranking the rank hierarchy also has not been formed yet and may be a little chaotic. I hope that within a couple of weeks the hierarchy will at least start resembling the final order of cars that most car fans consider "cult".

Thanks in advance for all suggestions. I will be noting them down and applying when possible timewise.

This site is absolutely not commercial, I am just trying to draw attention of variety of communities to see what the outcome will be after some time. I hope you do not mind.

DeLorean of course is a part of this ranking. Even though it is a rare car in Europe it still has great fanbase there.

:-)

Rhsxo
01-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I like the layout. It's very simple and easy to use.

Here are two things I recommend you correct:

1. It takes a LONG time to load the homepage. I thought this was my Internet connection, but I tried it in a few different locations and it still took forever.

2. The listing of the cars on the right hand side should be top to bottom, not left to right on listing the cars. I know it's minor but would be easier to find the auto I'm looking for.

Sznaps
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
yeah the server is just slow - I will have to change it next week.

You mean alphabetical sorting top-bottom? Good Idea I'll have to take a look at it.

Thanks!

Rhsxo
01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
yeah the server is just slow - I will have to change it next week.

You mean alphabetical sorting top-bottom? Good Idea I'll have to take a look at it.

Thanks!

I can help you with server hosting. If interested, send me a PM

Yes to your question.

Kenny_Z
01-21-2012, 02:28 PM
That site is very cool. I already voted for my two favorites :D

Sznaps
01-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Very glad tha you like it :-)

Karin
01-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Your website is very fascinating. Course, I had the urge to give a thumbs up to the DeLorean in there. :giggle:

Domi
01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Good job :thumbup2:

pezzonovante88
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Pretty cool. I like the idea and the layout is good. If you don't mind I'd like to make a few suggestions:
There are a few cars missing, as I'm sure you would gladly admit, but just to suggest a couple:
-Jaguar X300/X308 (big cult following)
-Rolls Royce Silver Spirit

And some of the cars listed [I]I[I] would not consider to be "cult" cars (ie. Veyron, F40, modern Bentleys/RRs, etc.) Too well known and widely respected. Its all about the more obscure cars. But maybe I'm missing the point....?

Anyway have fun with it!

Sznaps
01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
missing cars noted I will add them when I can. Thanks!

Regarding cars that should not be there... well.. different people have different opinions. The point is to have after some time cars that lead in ranking so are considered as cult vehicles by most people who voted. It is kinda experiment lets see what happens :-)

Kenny_Z
01-21-2012, 11:58 PM
I think any car can have a cult following. I don't think there's been a single production car produced that someone in the world didn't fall in love with.

eagle-co94
01-22-2012, 06:52 AM
I noticed a few issues when trying to find my 1996 Chevy Impala SS. First, the 94-96 Impala SS isn't listed, but the front wheel drive versions are? There is very little following for them, but there is a lot of a following for the 94-96's.

The picture for the Chevy HHR shows a Dodge product.

When selecting Chevrolet products, the Chrysler 300 showed up in the listings.

Other than that the site looks pretty cool. Let me know if you'd like a good '96 SS pic.

Sznaps
01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
eagle-co94,

Thanks for the hints. I have corrected the bugs you mentioned. Huge help!
My knowledge of Chevrolet product is limited since they are totally different in Europe than in US but hey.. I'm trying :-)

I have also added impala. If you think that you have better pic please send me at nicepics.cultrides.com :-) Big Thanks!

eagle-co94
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
I see that your location says "pl". Can you type out your location? I'm not sure if you're in Poland or Portugal, but as you can see from under my name you can type a lot more in that space.

eagle-co94
01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Just saw your picture for the SS and that's a good one! It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like the press photo of Tim Allen's "Binford 6100" which is one of the best SS' out there.

Sznaps
01-22-2012, 12:37 PM
I have changed the picture. Thought It was a brochure pic.

In my case pl means Poland :-)

Kenny_Z
01-22-2012, 04:39 PM
I want to visit Poland one day. My great-grandfather immigrated to America from Poland. My grandfather was born a few weeks later. Grandpa always wanted to see Poland but the only chance he got was a short march through part of the country during WW2. He said even during that time it was a beautiful country.

If it is alright with you I'd like to show this site to the guys on the Nova forum I frequent? Those guys are fanatics over their Novas.

Sznaps
01-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Do not come to Poland in winter :-).

From my side I have been to US few times but only from my work so there was no time to have a wider look around. However I have a plan to hire a camper and make 2 months look-around one day.

It would be great if Nova guys would take a look. Thanks!

Dracula
01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
The only thing I'll say about it is that there are a lot of cars that I'd hardly consider "cult" cars that made your site. Case in point, any American muscle car. They have huge followings, dedicated parts re-manufacturers, and general acceptance. The last one being the key. A cult car is one that has a limited appeal or following. Cult cars are, in my opinion, vehicles that the typical car show attendee would have to Google in order to learn about. The '66-'67 Shelby Mustang is NOT a "cult car" because its one of the most sought-after cars out there. It'd be harder to find a person who hasn't heard of the car and wouldn't accept one in any condition. That's just one of many examples of what I see on that list that shouldn't be. By comparison, there are many more that should be added, Bradley, Bricklin, Studebaker, etc. Those are more of cult cars and, not just because of their limited-production status, but because of their limited appeal. Just because not everyone can afford to own a Lamborghini and, as a result, their production numbers are low, doesn't mean they're a "cult car." This seems more like a list of cars ranked on popularity than anything else.

Sznaps
01-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Dracula,

I understand your point of view and I did meet this attitude many times.

The matter is subjective and the basis for the site can be justified by person who uses the popularity theory (like you did) and by person who uses "cult" theory which actually uses also "popularity" theory. Modern definition of cult may be defined as an item or phenomenon which is popular within particular group of people. Movies for instance: milions of people saw Fight Club. The movie is considered as an absolute among many people. Does it mean that it cannot be called "cult" because it was a mass production? Is it popular? I do not think so.

The second thing is that I wanted people to participate in ranking. If ranking started with no or few cars then it would simply not happen. Why? Because nobody would probably see the point of introducing a car on a site that gives nothing back. So I had to do my input. Having limited time and knowledge I introduced cars I consider cult + many more which I do not but it does not mean they do not have following.

And for American cars well.. I am slowly doing my homework here. I hope that I will find help in getting to know which cars should be there.

Thank you for models that You mentioned. I will check them out and add to ranking. Thanks!

P.S. Mustang Shelby is definately a cult car :-)

Nicholas R
01-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Cool site! I agree it's a bit broad, kind of on the border of cult cars and simply most popular cars but I understand that the term "cult car" is very subjective.

The Pontiac Fiero definitely needs added, btw :)

Sznaps
01-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Pontiac added. Thanks for the hint.