PDA

View Full Version : VOD inspection camera....Harbor Freight Tools

John U
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html

Paid $71 (currently on sale for $89.95 plus a 20%off discount coupon found online) http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=757300&d=1321258743

I bought this thing because after completing a VOD cleaning last summer, I thought I might have a coolant leak in there. I certainly didn't want to take the intake off again, so I figured I would spend the $70bucks!

I am very impressed by this inspection camera. The view on the screen is quite clear and in color. The image can also be sent to a tv using an RCA plug (included). The lights on the end of the probe are very bright and can be dimmed. The image can be rotated 360degrees in 90degree increments.

With this camera I was able to see under the manifold from both the front and the back. I was able to look in the valley, and at the hoses and even at the back of the water pump!

My only complaint is that the image blurs when you get really close (1/4inch away), and the unit seems a little "flimsy"...not for professional garage daily use, but good for the yearly look into the valley.

I would buy one again!

John

dvonk
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
neat! did you take any images of the VOD with it? :biggrin:

John U
01-27-2012, 12:04 PM
The description of the camera says you can capture images, but the instructions don't tell how to do it and I was not able to figure it out.

mluder
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
The description of the camera says you can capture images, but the instructions don't tell how to do it and I was not able to figure it out.

The general consensus in the reviews on the Harbor Frieght site is that it does not capture images - or more appropriately, everyone else is having the same experience as you in that they cannot figure it out either.

I am thinking of picking one up - the coupon link you posted seems dead. Can you re-post it.

Steve

John U
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
The general consensus in the reviews on the Harbor Frieght site is that it does not capture images - or more appropriately, everyone else is having the same experience as you in that they cannot figure it out either.

I am thinking of picking one up - the coupon link you posted seems dead. Can you re-post it.

Steve

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-Harbor-Freight-Coupon-Thread

this link leads to various harbor freight coupons that are updated regularly

TTait
02-16-2012, 12:34 AM
It may not do the jpeg capture s advertised, but...

It has a composite video out that can be hooked up to a monitor right?

or...

a video capture card, a dvd burner or a VCR. Given the fact that its a Delorean however, I'd like to suggest a Sony betamax vcr. The orphans need to stick together.

John U
02-16-2012, 12:41 AM
it has a single RCA video plug

82DMC12
04-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Old thread, I know, but after reading this last week I went out and picked up one of these cameras using the coupon in the above link. It was $79 plus tax. I got it home and put it together, seemed to work great. The next day I actually used it while removing my Y-pipe while restoring 11114 and the LED lights on the tip of the wire started flickering and kept turning off unless I tapped it with my finger.

Last night I exchanged it for a new one - hopefully this one works better. But, the camera works pretty well and has a great screen. Agreed that it washes out if you get too close to something. I'll be keeping it because I can think of a LOT of good uses for it.

Andy

John U
04-20-2012, 06:25 PM
It is definitely worth the small amount of money!