PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak Auto Train to DCS 2012

ssdelorean
01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Don't want to drive all the way to Florida?
Consider taking Amtrak!

Dana Klachoff is looking into taking the Amtrak Auto Train to Florida. This is a great option for those that want to take their car but don't want that long drive down and back to Florida.

Here are the basics:
- Train Departs from Lorton, VA (Washington DC ) every day at 4:00PM
- Arrives the next morning 9:00AM in Sandford, FL (just out side of Orlando)
- Duration: 17 hr. 30min
- Cost: $98.00 per person Coach or up grade to a Superliner Roomette for an additional $132.00 which includes all your meals.
- Cost for your Delorean one way is $169.00.

Dana has taken several trips to the west on Amtrak and has had a great experience each time. The food was very good, staff very accommodating and it's a great way to see your country.

If we can get a group of twenty people or more we get a 20% discount from the quoted pricing.

Please e-mail if you have any questions and/or interested in joining Dana.

Dana Klachoff
dana.klachoff[at]ohiodeloreans[dot]com

NOTE
I do not think Dana is a member of DMCTalk. You can post questions here all you like but I doubt you will get any answers. If your interested shoot him an email mentioned above.

Thanks.

Bitsyncmaster
01-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I was considering using the train but was concerned about someone else loading the car on the train. Also cost of > $700 round trip for two and the car won't save any money, just time and miles on the car.

dvonk
01-26-2012, 11:34 PM
sounds like more fun than a plane ride, though!

TTait
01-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Also cost of > $700 round trip for two and the car won't save any money, just time and miles on the car.

That is a little pricey, I agree. So... too bad you wife can't come to DCS I guess?

(Have to have our priorities)

T

rddmc
01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
This sounds like a great idea. Is someone putting together a list of those interested?

Rod

ssdelorean
01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
This sounds like a great idea. Is someone putting together a list of those interested?

Rod

Answer in 1st post and below...

Please e-mail if you have any questions and/or interested in joining Dana.

Dana Klachoff

NOTE
I do not think Dana is a member of DMCTalk. You can post questions here all you like but I doubt you will get any answers. If your interested shoot him an email mentioned above.

Thanks.

DMC3165
01-28-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but Tom Neiland from the LINY-DMC said the Delo is too wide to fit the auto train. We had a conversation about it last year in regards to DCS and he said he tried it on a previous occasion and it didn't fit! If anyone on here knows him they might want to drop him an e-mail just to follow up. I hate giving out second hand info but non the less thought it was worth mentioning before a group winds up with a problem.

Coming from NY I wanted to do the same thing.

amuderick
01-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I would be interested in using the auto train. My car has the Eibach suspension so it also rides a bit lower than normal. Anyone with info on whether this is possible, please post it here!

TTait
01-30-2012, 12:57 AM
I don't know if this is true or not but Tom Neiland from the LINY-DMC said the Delo is too wide to fit the auto train. We had a conversation about it last year in regards to DCS and he said he tried it on a previous occasion and it didn't fit! If anyone on here knows him they might want to drop him an e-mail just to follow up. I hate giving out second hand info but non the less thought it was worth mentioning before a group winds up with a problem.

Per the Amtrack website its no problem dimension wise...

Regular Vehicle

Check-In
At least 1 hour before scheduled departure. Less than 65 inches in height;

or

65-88 inches in height and less than 182 inches in length.

- Maximum width: 84 inches.
- Ground clearance: at least 4 inches.

The only glitch I can imagine would be not having the turning radius to get it in...?

We shot one of the original BTTF Picture cars in MA years ago making the BTTF ride, I personally helped push it into the back of a standard semi trailer for the trip back to CA. It went into that, no problem.

Farrar
01-30-2012, 02:04 PM
My girlfriend took the AutoTrain once a couple of years ago. Minivans and giant SUVs were on board. If they can fit a Cadillac Escalade, they can fit a DeLorean.

She said the dinner was excellent. If the train is full enough, you will have your choice of three seatings. Those with kids generally pick the 5pm. Then there's 7pm and 9pm. Even includes wine (for the adults only of course) and dessert. Service is good, too, and every booth has a view.

Bitsyncmaster
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm back considering the auto train. Mostly to save 2 to 4 days of driving. With my wife in the car, I don't think we would go more than 6 or 7 hours for a day of driving. Besides it may be fun just wining and dining for a day.

Evildeli
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
The station is only 5 minutes from my house. In the opposite direction are the highways(Both I-4 and 417-toll road), also about 5 minutes from the station.

Bitsyncmaster
03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
[SIZE="3"]Dana Klachoff

[B]NOTE

Thanks.

That email address did not work for me. Yes I changed the "[at]" and the [dot].

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm most interested in this option. Currently I was planning on car pooling down with "dmc6960" he's generously offered to go many miles out of his way to pic me up in VA and drive down. But the more I think about it the more I'd really like to have my own car. I think this just may be the ticket.. Feel free to PM me if you wish to coordinate. I've still not locked anything down yet.

dmc6960
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I'd really like to have my own car

And right there you've hit the reason why I did not go to DCS '08. (June '08 was when I discovered my coolant into oil leak, prompting the engine rebuild in '09). No problem if you take the Auto Train and I'll see you in Orlando! Otherwise I'll see you at your place 2 days prior.

Jim D
03-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know if there was enough interest to get the 20% discount?
Jim

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Ive just finished doing a mock round-trip purchase through Amtrak. All said and done it was a little over 500. Hmmm.... Possible group discount you say?

Bitsyncmaster
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the auto train. Run the numbers for gas, tolls, 2 nights of logeing and the price looks less for the train. Now save a few more days of time off from work and it saves money.

thirdmanj
03-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Yup, I'm thinking the train. I think I'll be taking the June 13th one and comming back on the 18th. These everyone else's dates too?

Bitsyncmaster
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Yup, I'm thinking the train. I think I'll be taking the June 13th one and comming back on the 18th. These everyone else's dates too?

My trip out will be the day before DCS opens since you leave at 4:00 pm and arrive at 9 -10 am. But my trip back will be two days later then the end because I've booked a few extra days to enjoy the area.

tommyrich
03-13-2012, 07:35 PM

I didn't read this post until today... Actually it was the trailer towing the Delorean that didn't fit. Dave Delman wanted to tow the Electric Delorean to "Battery Beach Burn-out" a couple of years ago and found out at the last minute that the trailer is too wide. So he ended up driving the truck with his Delorean in tow all the way to Florida and back (God bless him).

He and I are booked for the round trip on the Autotrain to DSC12 with the "Acura TL-Powered Delorean".
See you there (or on the train).
Tom N.

jpsenft
03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
We have booked the autotrain for the 12th and 19th...planning a few extra days at Disney.

Jim
5832 in Maryland

Bitsyncmaster
03-14-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm booked. Leaving 13 th and returning 19 th. See you guys there.

Cost is $730 round trip coach for my wife and I.

Lenny
06-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Can you post a review of what the trip was like?

Bitsyncmaster
06-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Can you post a review of what the trip was like?

I think I saved a review I did at work. I'm out of town for a week but I will post it when I get back. My problem was I could not sleep that night. So if you have any pills that will help you sleep you will like the trip.