PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Emergency Kit

Notifier
01-31-2012, 03:06 PM
I wanted to come up with a set of supplies to have on hand in my DeLorean for roadside emergencies or incidents. Or even if I was out on the road and needed a simple tool or item for something not particularly related to the vehicle (or even to help someone else out).

The criteria I had in mind:
1.) Needs to be as compact and basic as possible. Want most of the parts to fit into a single bag, not rolling around loose the vehicle! Also want to avoid having that "parts department" on wheels.
2.) Designed for the "quick fix" scenario. Not really looking to spend time/effort replacing let's say a water pump on the side of the road, but if you can rig the pump to work to get you home, that's fine. Anything that would be more involved, time to call the tow truck.
3.) Low maintenance - need to check it often, but don't want to have to remember to replace batteries every month.
4.) DeLorean specific, but at the same time could be used for any vehicle.

Keep in mind this is an automotive emergency kit, not a survival kit. In other words, if you're going on that long drive or in winter stormy weather, there are another set of supplies you should have on hand (i.e.: blankets, water, etc.).

So anyway, this is what I came up with. Anything I should add/delete/change? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

(click on picture for larger view)

First Row:
Single warning triangle w/case*
Small personal first aid kit
Fire Extinguisher - ABC 2.5lbs*
"Fix-a-flat" tire sealer
12" tool bag (everything but "*" fits in the tool bag)

Second Row:
Wire cutters
Needle nose plaiers
Slip joint plaiers
Mulit-tip screwdriver
Muffler bandgage
Hose tape

Third Row:
Shop rags
Tire gauge
Electrical tape
Bag of spare fuses
Utility knife
Flashlight (Dorcy LED dynamo flashlight - needs no batteries)
12V electrical tester
Socket set (English & Metric)

Fourth Row:
Towel*
Work gloves
Jumper cables
2 24" bungee cords
8 gallon trash bag
2 chemical "glow sticks"
2 jumper wires w/male spade ends (for jumping out bad relays)
2 jumper wires w/alagator clip ends
Notepad & pen
Diagram of fuse/relay block
Diagram of electrical system

jawn101
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Great idea to share what's in our kits, I like it. You have all the right ideas in there but a couple suggestions:

- I like to have individual screwdrivers instead of a multi-tip one. Bits can get lost, drop out, etc - and are no good for prying. A 99 cent flat bladed driver can do wonders to help you adjust a tensioner, remove a belt, or do any kind of general prying.
- A multimeter. Harbor Freight gives them away for free with coupons or you can suck it up and pay 3 bucks for them. They aren't great, they aren't super durable or accurate, but it's worth having!
- A spare relay or two. If you've updated your relays and still have the old ones, there's no reason you can't carry the old ones just in case - as long as they were working. I keep 2 standard ones, 1 lambda configured one, and an RPM relay just in case
- V-belts. Definitely worth keeping in the car.
- A spare spark plug (or as many as you've got room for) and socket

thirdmanj
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
I've been told that if one uses "fix-a-flat" in a tire, said tire will have to be replaced and is not repairable. Anyone else hear about this?

Patrick C
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Spare relay, spare belts, spare fuel pump and you're good to go.

mluder
01-31-2012, 04:46 PM
That's a nice kit.

Me? I carry a set of jumper cables, extra 50/50 collant, clutch fluid...
Most importantly, I carry my AAA card. The best roadside kit available.

Steve

Jonathan
01-31-2012, 05:08 PM
This was to be part of my justification for buying one of the Tablets for sale nowadays. My intention was to have with me all my technical files, schematics, troubleshooting guides, reference pictures, etc. in case I ever get in a pinch. That being said, to fix the problem you might have the solution for, I would carry many of the tools and odds & ends mentioned above as well.

I haven't made my mind up on which Tablet will be best for me for this and some other uses. Ideally I would have every file I have ever amassed on the memory of the Tablet. Maybe even a 3G model to perhaps log into the fourm on the fly. Add to that I was hoping to display certain things at car shows, like some of the clips on YouTube either from other owners, from movies, or some of the fun BTTF stuff out there.

My hope would be to cut down how many binders or paper copies of certain things I drag around in the trunk. I have a pretty dynamite little roadside cheat sheet one of the vendors sent me a while back that I keep in the car for emergencies. I was asked to not post it publicly online, so I'll honor that unless told otherwise.

Anyone else make use of a particular Tablet computer for this kind of thing?

jawn101
01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Anyone else make use of a particular Tablet computer for this kind of thing?

I never go anywhere without my iPhone 4, which can do it all... but I also carry around my Kindle Fire a lot too. No 3G option on that, but I also have a MiFi hotspot that I sometimes remember to toss in my pocket. Not often though.

stevedmc
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
I pretty much carry every tool I have ever used to work on the Delorean with me at all times. No offense but the only stuff that looked useful in that kit was the fire extinguisher and the jumper cables.

mluder
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I have an iPad with 3G and it's pretty handy. I have some of the docs as PDF files in iBooks but not the entire workshop manual - although it migh not be a bad ide but it will take some time to scan all those pages if a PDF version doesn't already exisit.

Steve

Jimmyvonviggle
01-31-2012, 08:23 PM
I carry a cell and my CAA card (AAA to my American friends)
Of course Some duct tape never hurt.

SIMid
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Of course Some duct tape never hurt.

And Zip Ties. ;)

Notifier
01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I like the idea of carrying around extra relays. Actually thought about including them originally. What I would do is at the point where I change out all the relays as a preventive maintenance, I will take the old relays and put them in the kit.

Belts - I was actually looking at them the other day and thought I should keep spares actually in the car, not in my garage. Again, like that idea.

AAA card (or similar program) a must. I actually already have one in my wallet, covers all my vehicles anyway. Also, duh, cell phone. But again, something you may normally carry.

I was debating between the can of fix a flat (not a big fan anyway) and just having a small air compressor. I still may change my mind on that one. Or maybe just keep $2 in quarters in the kit this way if I have a tire running low I can stop at the closest gas station and get my 2 minutes with the air compressor.

I love the tablet idea, not only for on the road but even when you are in the garage working on the vehicle. I think you can pick up inexpensive tablets for under $200, but who knows how the quality is! Would be nice to make that database searchable.

But the idea here for me at least is the "quick fix", situation like an accident, or total break down. I could keep every tool and a case of spare parts on the vehicle all the time, for me it isn't practical. If the vehicle breaks down and it isn't something stupid like a bad fuse, relay, disconnected plug, low tire, or such, time to call the tow truck and deal with it in the comfort of the garage, not on the side of the interstate! In reality, everyone has a skill level they are comfortable with. And of course having such supplies on hand isn't an excuse for ignoring basic maintenance; checking fluids, tires, bulbs, etc.

I've always kept something similar in my vehicles and yea, it's come in handy at times. Once I was visiting my sister and she needed me to change out a light switch for her. Ran out to the car, grabbed a screw driver and wire cutters. Not truly an emergency or car related but got the job done being two hours from home!

Ron
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Funnel (collapsible?)?
Small wrench Set, or swap socket set for combo?
Adjustable for backuping up/odd/larger sizes...?
Surprised about no gas can (empty)!

ebrakespin
01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
I've been told that if one uses "fix-a-flat" in a tire, said tire will have to be replaced and is not repairable. Anyone else hear about this?

I worked in a Sears Auto and fix-a-flat doesn't ruin the tire. It just makes it messy and you have to take the tire off the rim to clean it out so it can be balanced. I would only use it as a last resort though, and dont drive on it long.

Nicholas R
01-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Spare relay, spare belts, spare fuel pump and you're good to go.

+1
As long as you have a screwdriver to remove the access panel and hose clamps, 2 hex drivers for the terminals, and an adjustable wrench for the banjo bolt, you can change a fuel pump on the side of the road easily in under 30 min.

I never went anywhere without a spare fuel pump. I even carried extra spark plugs and injectors for a while.

sdg3205
02-01-2012, 12:16 AM

Yup.

sean
02-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I wanted to come up with a set of supplies...

Great list!

What I've learned is it wont ruin anything but will make the wheel unbalanced. Its a great option when you are in a bind but you'll eventually want to take the tire to a repair shop and have them take the tire off the rim, clean, repair and rebalance the tire.

ccurzio
02-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm shocked to see none of you have any flares in your kits. Cars do break down at night too, you know. You really don't want anyone crashing into you if you're stranded dead on the side of an unlit section of road at 2 in the morning. :)

I carry at least 3 in every car. If you don't have them, you should definitely add them.

I was debating between the can of fix a flat (not a big fan anyway) and just having a small air compressor. I still may change my mind on that one. Or maybe just keep $2 in quarters in the kit this way if I have a tire running low I can stop at the closest gas station and get my 2 minutes with the air compressor.

This doesn't make sense to me. An air compressor won't do shit for a punctured tire but fix-a-flat will temporarily patch it AND fill the tire. It shouldn't be an either-or decision in my mind, since neither is a replacement or substitute for the other.

Ron
02-01-2012, 07:49 AM

I worked in a Sears Auto and fix-a-flat doesn't ruin the tire. It just makes it messy and you have to take the tire off the rim to clean it out so it can be balanced. I would only use it as a last resort though, and dont drive on it long.

What I've learned is it wont ruin anything but will make the wheel unbalanced. Its a great option when you are in a bind but you'll eventually want to take the tire to a repair shop and have them take the tire off the rim, clean, repair and rebalance the tire.
+2

Now the valve stem is a different story...

Notifier
02-01-2012, 01:00 PM
This doesn't make sense to me. An air compressor won't do shit for a punctured tire but fix-a-flat will temporarily patch it AND fill the tire. It shouldn't be an either-or decision in my mind, since neither is a replacement or substitute for the other.

That's part of why I went with the can of fix-a-flat. Personally, I've never used a can of fix-a-flat with the exception in my wheelbarrow! I question how well it really works. But I figured go with it because it will do both. In reality, I would probably grab the spare first, the fix-a-flat would be as a backup or if there's a situation where I've got a flat on a shoulder less road and my first priority is getting to a safe place to stop.

stevedmc
04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
That's part of why I went with the can of fix-a-flat. Personally, I've never used a can of fix-a-flat with the exception in my wheelbarrow! I question how well it really works. But I figured go with it because it will do both. In reality, I would probably grab the spare first, the fix-a-flat would be as a backup or if there's a situation where I've got a flat on a shoulder less road and my first priority is getting to a safe place to stop.

I've never purchased a can of fix a flat in my life. I just carry a full size spare.

Just for giggles I replaced one of my normal tires with my spare tire today and drove about 50 miles today at speeds up to 70 mph.

This was my first time testing the spare and I must say the car handled jut as good as with a regular tire. I was able to do things I wouldn't dare do with a temporarily patched tire. I plan to drive at least 70 miles on it tomorrow as well.

jawn101
04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I've never purchased a can of fix a flat in my life. I just carry a full size spare.

Just for giggles I replaced one of my normal tires with my spare tire today and drove about 50 miles today at speeds up to 70 mph.

This was my first time testing the spare and I must say the car handled jut as good as with a regular tire. I was able to do things I wouldn't dare do with a temporarily patched tire. I plan to drive at least 70 miles on it tomorrow as well.

I would be very curious to hear the experiences of anyone (pictures a huge plus, although I could just go do the swap I suppose) who's driven on the original compact spare. Specifically with it on a rear wheel. Does the whole car sit at a bizarre angle? It would have to I guess.

stevedmc
04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I hope you mean the stock spare wheel with new rubber. It would be Insane to use 30 year old rubber as a spare.

jawn101
04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
I hope you mean the stock spare wheel with new rubber. It would be Insane to use 30 year old rubber as a spare.

Ha. Of course :angel:

(I knew there was something I meant to replace)

OT: anyone else really like the look of the original spare wheel? I think it's really cool looking. Call me crazy.

stevedmc
04-25-2012, 10:20 PM
For what it's worth, I was going to swap the spare with a rear tire but when I realized i didn't have room in the trunk for a rear wheel I decided against it. In a real world situation I would just wrap the flat (rear tire) in a blanket and sit it on the passenger seat. I was too lazy to do this today.