PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Wiper Fluid bottle cover

dmcerm
06-06-2011, 06:53 PM
It's me... oh never mind...

So, if the screws that hold on the cover to my washer fluid bottle simply turn in place when I try to unscrew them... how would you all suggest I get those to turn(or not turn in this case, since I think the screws are seized in the holes)... do I drill them out or is there an easier way? What do the shops do when they inevitably encounter a screw that just turns in place? I would really like to investigate my washer fluid bottle and why the motor doesn't work but I need that cover off first.

Thanks again!

Mark

lazabby
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I had that issue with my car. I had to use a Dremmel to cut off the bolt heads.:angry:

DMCMW Dave
06-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes- same answer. Dremel tool is a wonderful thing.

dmcerm
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Excellent! I have one of those...

So now, once I've done that I assume I'll have to drill out or re-tap those screw holes, but it is those things themselves that are actually moving... how do I re-secure those things... aren't they actually pressed into the fiberglass and once they come lose how do you attach them again... what size screws are they... all these are quesitons I have.

Thanks a lot!

Mark

painterdave72
06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
with useing crazy glue around the perimiter of the rivnut .. most of the time that holds it very tightly in the fiberglass and i can easily get the screw out...

DMCMW Dave
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
They are 5 mm aluminum riv-nuts. The only way to "tighten" them is to replace them. If you are not too worried about concours appearance, you can simply drill some new holes and use #10 sheet metal screws into the fiberglass (we don't do this!). IMO this part is a bit over-engineered and has more screws than needed to hold it in place.

While you have the cover off, drill out the drain holes in the bottom to a much larger size, you'll find the pump will last a lot longer when the cover panel doesn't fill up with mud.

I've never tried the Krazy-glue trick, in any case be sure to put anti-sieze compount on the fasteners so you can get them out next time.

dmcerm
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Dave!

Thanks a lot... that's just what I was looking for. I certainly appreciate yours and everyones help, it's always the little things that help get a job done or that can hold up a 'simple' DeLorean project.

Thanks!

outatym2001
06-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Rivnuts or Rivet Nuts are available here and you will also need a Rivet Nut insert tool.
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/hardware.html
Or buy from your favorite DeLorean parts vendor. Click on link in my signature.

I had many rivet nuts spin in place on the access panels inside the trunk and I had one spinner out of the eight screws that hold the tub for the washer bottle. While using my Dremel tool first I had to cut off the head of the screw/bolt then carefully cut the top surface of the rivet nut and install a new one.

When I removed my black plastic tub (Container Mount Cover) I drilled several holes in the bottom to allow water to drain.
When installing the plastic tub I put McKanica Seam Sealer Black (or use RTV silicone) to seal around the top edge of the tub to prevent more water from intruding. It’s next to the front tire and dirty water spray from the tire gets inside the tub.