PDA

View Full Version : Engine Water Pump gasket leaking - Replace pump or rebuild?

rundmc
02-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Hey all,

Found the culprit in my VOD coolant lake today. When 15 psi cold pressure is applied to the system, the water pump is leaking at the bottom under the unit - not at the weep hole by the pulley - looks to be the gasket holding the back on. Is this worth trying to rebuild or should I just send it in as a core and replace the entire thing?

Ryan King
02-04-2012, 10:19 PM
If you decide to go the route of a new pump, I would highly suggest getting John Hervey's Kit #2 with the Silicone hoses. I would also suggest you go the bolt on pully way as well. I am VERY pleased with mine.

jmettee
02-04-2012, 11:47 PM
If you decide to go the route of a new pump, I would highly suggest getting John Hervey's Kit #2 with the Silicone hoses. I would also suggest you go the bolt on pully way as well. I am VERY pleased with mine.

+1 I like the bolt-on pulley, especially since the re-use of OEM pulleys being re-pressed onto the shaft has been an issue on some units.

jawn101
02-05-2012, 12:03 AM
When I replaced mine, I was instructed to get the bolt on pulley, but forgot... ended up with the standard style press-on pulley. Clint wouldn't even help me install it until I let him weld the pulley to the shaft. :)

Ryan King
02-05-2012, 12:58 AM
+1 I like the bolt-on pulley, especially since the re-use of OEM pulleys being re-pressed onto the shaft has been an issue on some units.

That happened to me. My original Hervey pump had a press on pully that came off. He overnight shipped me a bolt on pump in replacement. Go the bolt on route.

sean
02-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Hey all,

Found the culprit in my VOD coolant lake today. When 15 psi cold pressure is applied to the system, the water pump is leaking at the bottom under the unit - not at the weep hole by the pulley - looks to be the gasket holding the back on. Is this worth trying to rebuild or should I just send it in as a core and replace the entire thing?

Well since you are this far into the valley and it needs to come out, pull the pump and let's see what it looks like. Could just be the gasket or it might be a crack or corrosion issue. If its just comings through the gasket I'd say replace the gasket.

rundmc
02-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Well since you are this far into the valley and it needs to come out, pull the pump and let's see what it looks like. Could just be the gasket or it might be a crack or corrosion issue. If its just comings through the gasket I'd say replace the gasket.

That's the suck thing about it all. I had already pulled the pump to clean the valley. I wrongfully assessed the pump as not being the issue. We reinstalled everything and refilled the system, pressure tested, and the pump was the culprit, so now it all has to come apart again. Ugh...

tgraham
02-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Is this worth trying to rebuild or should I just send it in as a core and replace the entire thing?

If it's just the gasket, that's pretty cheap, but you're going to have to pull the pump out anyway. How old is your water pump?

Travis

rundmc
02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Pulled the water pump...again. Valley reflooded. Cleaned it...again.

The pump gasket was completely rotten. Also, one of the back bolts had completely seized, the one at the very bottom of the unit near the coolant leak. Despite liberal PB Blaster soaking, it snapped. Fortunately the back isn't threaded, so I was able to retrieve what I needed.

When I put a new gasket on, do I need to treat it with Permatex beforehand or does it go on dry?

I think this pump is original to the vehicle.

sean
02-06-2012, 10:04 AM
When I put a new gasket on, do I need to treat it with Permatex beforehand or does it go on dry?

I've always installed it with a thin layer on both sides of the gasket.

rundmc
02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I've always installed it with a thin layer on both sides of the gasket.

Thanks. Will do.

David T
02-06-2012, 11:09 AM
If you are having this much trouble with the water pump you should replace it. With all of the work required to go back in if the seal should leak it ain't worth it. If you suspect it to be original it should CERTAINLY be replaced. Pressure test BEFORE reinstalling the intake manifold.
David Teitelbaum

rundmc
02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
If you are having this much trouble with the water pump you should replace it. With all of the work required to go back in if the seal should leak it ain't worth it. If you suspect it to be original it should CERTAINLY be replaced. Pressure test BEFORE reinstalling the intake manifold.
David Teitelbaum

Yeah, I did the test before reinstalling the manifold, which is how we found out. I will be replacing the pump no doubt about it.