PDA

View Full Version : Fuel I knew something like this would happen ...

Jacko
02-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I had postponed replacing the fuel accumulator because ... well, I knew something like this would happen.

The connections to the accumulator were frozen tight and in my exuberance I managed to mangle the end of the fuel feed line, pic attached. I need to replace this line. I see where it disappears from the fuel tank access but would I remove the finishing plate under the car or go in through the console?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.8210

sean
02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
If I'm reading the right, yoU are in for some "fun". Here is the result of when Buddy(nullset) did a similar thing:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?144-SEDOC-Freeside-Tech-session-%96-April-30th-2011/page2

DMC5180
02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I had postponed replacing the fuel accumulator because ... well, I knew something like this would happen.

The connections to the accumulator were frozen tight and in my exuberance I managed to mangle the end of the fuel feed line, pic attached. I need to replace this line. I see where it disappears from the fuel tank access but would I remove the finishing plate under the car or go in through the console?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.8210

Man that's a major bummer. Were you planning to replace that hose? All the vendors usually tell you cut the hose off the barbed fitting and shove the new hose on and a clamp. The way other way is to gain access from the top side and have helper hold the fitting on the top side. kind of PITA too. But much better than your situation.

I'm not sure if the line were disconnected at the fitting, that it could be pulled forward through the FP access panel in leu of lifting the body.

DMCMW Dave
02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Man that's a major bummer. Were you planning to replace that hose? All the vendors usually tell you cut the hose off the barbed fitting and shove the new hose on and a clamp. The way other way is to gain access from the top side and have helper hold the fitting on the top side. kind of PITA too. But much better than your situation.

I'm not sure if the line were disconnected at the fitting, that it could be pulled forward through the FP access panel in leu of lifting the body.

Dennis is right, we NEVER take those fittings apart. You can get to them from above, remove the small junk tray at the back of the console and there is a black plastic plate you can peel up. You may be beyond that being of help but it would not hurt to look.

I have replaced that line by pulling it forward into the trunk, it's a bit of a PITA since it is clipped to the frame and stuck between the frame and body. Remove the shifter plate and you can see that line to the right of the shifter inside the car. If I recall correctly we also removed the body bolts in the trunk and inside the car so we could lift the body up an inch or so. With this limited lift you don't need to disconnect anything although you probably ought to take the shroud off that goes around the radiator.

Nominally you are supposed to lift the body off the frame for access.

Jacko
02-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Well, this is another fine mess I've got myself into ...

Thanks for the quick response, guys. Bad news travels fast. Ironically I had cut the hose and attached it to the accumulator with a clamp as was suggested above. But when I woke up this morning I had concluded the connection wouldn't work because the inner part of the hose was a hard plastic ... I didn't think it would seal.

I'm thinking about just running a new line to the accumulator and leaving the old one there. Anyone ever do that? Is it possible?

If I had the energy and money expended over 30 years of owning a Delorean I'd be ... I could ... well, you know.

I'm going down to the shop and look at it. :sad30:

Nicholas R
02-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Patrick C on here did some custom accumulator hosing. I cannot remember exactly which of the frame attached fuel lines it was but if I recall correctly, he took the fitting to a hydraulic shop, told them what it was for, and they made him a flexible stainless braded line that he routed himself.