PDA

View Full Version : General Problem with the door locks.

thegodfather
06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Out of the blue my locking mechanisms are acting up. When i try to unlock the drivers side door it unlocks and snaps quickly back to the locked position on the both doors. It won't allow the doors to be unlocked. i have to unlock the passenger side door to get in. Any ideas of what this might be?

Chris 16409
06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
You should unplug your door lock module now. It sounds like it's stuck and forcing the door to stay locked. The solenoids may become damaged and your battery may drain if the module continues to supply power to the solenoids.

stevedmc
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
You should unplug your door lock module now.

This is one of the best upgrades you can do to your car. I performed this upgrade about a year ago and have been very pleased with the result.

thegodfather
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I unplugged the module. Now it seems the the solenoid is stuck in the locked position on the driver side door. I can't open the driver side door. The passenger side is fine.

stevedmc
06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Try gently pulling on the door handle while turning the key at the same time.

thegodfather
06-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Try gently pulling on the door handle while turning the key at the same time.

Tried that. That door is not wanting to be unlocked now for some reason. Is there a way to open it from inside the door panel?

Chris 16409
06-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Maybe the solenoid has become physically stuck and just won't move (it might have gotten burnt up and locked in it's current position). If you remove the upper and lower door panel, you can disconnect the solenoid from the door locking linkages. You should then be able to operate the door lock manually. Now would be an excellent time to ditch the solenoids, buy linear actuators from DPNW, and get a new lock module from DMC.

David T
06-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Most likely something out of adjustment or you have one of the doors latches of one of the doors in only the first locking position.
David Teitelbaum

stevedmc
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
It really stinks that you will have to open the door but at least you can still get in the car through the passenger side.

Do yourself a favor and replace your hood release cable or at least run a string to it before it breaks too. If you have a 30 year old hood release cable it is just waiting to snap.

thegodfather
06-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Maybe the solenoid has become physically stuck and just won't move (it might have gotten burnt up and locked in it's current position). If you remove the upper and lower door panel, you can disconnect the solenoid from the door locking linkages. You should then be able to operate the door lock manually. Now would be an excellent time to ditch the solenoids, buy linear actuators from DPNW, and get a new lock module from DMC.

Thanks for the info, i'll be buying a set of these.

thegodfather
06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
It really stinks that you will have to open the door but at least you can still get in the car through the passenger side.

Yeah, i wouldn't know what to do if i couldn't unlock either door.

Do yourself a favor and replace your hood release cable or at least run a string to it before it breaks too. If you have a 30 year old hood release cable it is just waiting to snap.

Good idea, i doubt its ever been replaced before. It works great but i don't want to take a chance on it breaking.
Thanks

Chris 16409
06-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Good idea, i doubt its ever been replaced before. It works great but i don't want to take a chance on it breaking.
Thanks

I suggest you check out Toby's trunk popper actuator as well. I've installed this so I don't have to use the cable at all.

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K2905DP-A&Category_Code=9401

DCUK Martin
06-08-2011, 05:50 AM
The door lock solenoids can not jam the door mech when the module is unplugged

The design flaw is the module, not the solenoids which are considered bomb proof in the Jaguars from which they were sourced. It's far more likely your problem is what I explain in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92JJQG57t1s

Mike C.
06-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Call me nuts, but I removed my door lock module and actuators from the doors. Im all manual.

Have never been locked out :)

I rarely bring a passenger, and when I do, it's not that inconvenient to just walk around and let them in. Eventually I may put the new door lock setup in, but easy solution to a set of misfiring locks.

DCUK Martin
06-08-2011, 07:43 AM
If you still have your solenoids, try moving one by hand - see how much work it takes ;)

Most door-stuck issues are caused by the latch crank not returning properly and/or the front lock rod going a bit slack.

David T
06-08-2011, 11:24 AM
The solenoids are not "bomb-proof". When the module gets stuck the solenoids will burn out. Most of the door problems occur when the doors are forced or at least closed and not fully in 2nd locking position on all latches. If ANY of the 4 latches on the 2 doors are not in 2nd locking position the locking mechanism is not supposed to allow the doors to be locked. If you have the central locking system working BOTH doors are not supposed to lock. What could have been a simple adjustment of one of the anchor pins becomes a major job adjusting all of the internal door linkage which gets bent/stretched because it is now being forced. If you are having problems with the doors, ignoring it and forcing the doors eventually makes the problem worse till the point a door eventually gets jammed. By now the doors of ALL Deloreans should have been disassembled, the old lubricant removed, the mechanisms cleaned and re lubricated so everything will work smoothly. The old grease is like sticky glue preventing things from moving easily. Especially when cold! Then going over all of the adjustments. A big job that is mostly avoided.
David Teitelbaum

DCUK Martin
06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
David, I was pointing out that the solenoids aren't an inherant weakness and they are considered ultra-reliable in the Jaguars from which they come. The problem is the control module burning them out.

stevedmc
06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I rarely bring a passenger, and when I do, it's not that inconvenient to just walk around and let them in.

One perk is this makes you look even better when your passenger happens to be a hot date.

Bitsyncmaster
06-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Call me nuts, but I removed my door lock module and actuators from the doors. Im all manual.

Have never been locked out :)

I rarely bring a passenger, and when I do, it's not that inconvenient to just walk around and let them in. Eventually I may put the new door lock setup in, but easy solution to a set of misfiring locks.

I agree with you on removing except I like to lock my doors when I'm driving. Also it makes the locks need less force since the actuators do the work as soon as you start turning the key or press the lock.

So is there any safety with it locked when driving as far as keep the latches closed?

dmc6960
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
So is there any safety with it locked when driving as far as keep the latches closed?

I would say no, I've had a few incidences in the past where my passenger door (the not so well aligning one) has its rear latch pop open while driving. Locking the door made no difference.

content22207
06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
... and/or the front lock rod going a bit slack.

Front lock rod has a couple of design flaws:
- No turnbuckle to adjust length
- If its plastic retainer breaks it can bow outwards rather than disengaging the front lock

I'm pretty sure the front lock rod is also what some owners hear rattling against their door superstructure, especially if that plastic retainer is broken or missing.

Bill Robertson