PDA

View Full Version : How To: Dashboard re-dye (video)

DCUK Martin
02-07-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7usFea0rE

BTTF-1
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Great video.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed:worship:

dvonk
02-07-2012, 06:26 PM
ha, i have the same rotating-head riveter.

the redyed dash looks good! i have a question about the dye:

one of the most common perceptions of a 'dye' is likely in reference to textiles, where the dye saturates and permeates the fibers. does this spray dye 'soak in' to the vinyl or is it more of a surface color refresher?

also, how durable is the color? i.e., does it adhere permanently or do you have to take care to not scrub too aggressively while cleaning the vinyl?

Iznodmad
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Fantastic Martin! Same process for all other interior pieces?

pezzonovante88
02-08-2012, 08:50 PM
ha, i have the same rotating-head riveter.

the redyed dash looks good! i have a question about the dye:

one of the most common perceptions of a 'dye' is likely in reference to textiles, where the dye saturates and permeates the fibers. does this spray dye 'soak in' to the vinyl or is it more of a surface color refresher?

also, how durable is the color? i.e., does it adhere permanently or do you have to take care to not scrub too aggressively while cleaning the vinyl?

+1 Would also like to know....

Henrik
02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Nice video, Martin. I also agree with your point about removing hardware before painting/dying. Another AWFUL example of this are people who paint a room and paint over the electrical outlets and light switches. Even masking them off looks bad if you look up close...

DCUK Martin
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi guys, there are some regularly used deloreans out there having been re dyed more than 5 years ago. i don't recommend it for use on seats. It certainly won't peel or flake off or anything nasty like that and yes, i take more care with the dash but the rest of the interior is done exactly the same.

DMC5180
02-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Martin,

Do you have and official color code for the stain and or a source for it here in the states?

john 05141
11-30-2012, 04:02 AM
I did this while the dash was in the car; I tried to remove the dash, but I just could not reach the last bolt in the middle.
It takes quite some effort to mask everything and you will have to remove the binnacle. An advantage is you can spray the A-pillars the same moment, and these are very hard to remove. So as you're masking there anyway I figured the dash can be done too.

But in the same process I redyed the whole interior. I used 4 spraycans I bought at Deorean services in Belgium, the spray is expensive but very very good. I has been done 4 years ago and still looks loke new today. I did recover the armrest last winter but there was no show of wear even you rest on it all the time.
My advice is to not go cheap on the cans and but a good quality dye and make sure you prep very well.

Jan