PDA

View Full Version : General Hood release cable is no longer working release- Any options?

DeLorean
06-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Well the release is no longer releasing. The cable is clearly hooked up to release, and "pulls" however the hood does not pop anymore. This happened all of a sudden.

Options?

DMCMW Dave
06-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Bend the bracket where the cable ends back into position and see if that helps. 90% o the cars have the cable anchor bent over and the handle can't pull the cable far enough to release the catch.

If not, pull the cable with a pair of pliers to get the trunk open. Then replace the cable if it's broken or frayed. If that doesn't work (i.e. the cable is broken at the other end), you'll need to post back about how to "break in".

outatym2001
06-19-2011, 01:43 AM
If and when you do get it open install a back up cable in case your original breaks.
Please see the two pictures of the back up cable below.
The description on how to open the bonnet (hood) after your original cable breaks was posted in the old DMC Talk forum but sadly that’s in limbo right now.

David T
06-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Sometimes the latch rubs hard on the loop that is on the hood because it is not lined up well. Pull the cable and while holding it pulled, try lifting the hood. Once you get it open inspect the loop for signs of wear where it rubs on the locking latch. You may have to move the latch to one side or the other to get the loop to drop into the center without rubbing the sides. Install a "back-up" cable once you do get it open.
David Teitelbaum

DeLorean
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
still have not gotten this open yet, what is the procedure?

David T
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Try having someone push down on the hood at the center by the windshield as you pull the cable. Then try pulling up the hood while still pulling on the cable. It can take some effort but the only other alternative would be to try cutting the loop on the hood through the weatherseal with a hacksaw blade. There is a factory bulletin that says to go from underneath, pop a rubber plug, push up the carpet, and try hooking the latch. I do not know of anyone ever actually doing it successfully. It certainly won't work if there is anything in the trunk.
David Teitelbaum

DeLorean
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Got it. I pulled out the weatherstripping which was not too well attached anyway and went in through the gas flap with a coat hanger. About 10 minutes of fiddling, and "pop" I got in there.

Apparently the pin that holds the cable to the hood had simply fallen out. I replaced it with a nylock nut & bolt, it won't be falling off again.

DELOREAN!

ArnieBrandon
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Count your blessings. You are one lucky guy.

Jacko
06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Got it. I replaced it with a nylock nut & bolt, it won't be falling off again.

DELOREAN! ... don't forget to install a back-up cable ...:wave:

samj
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
The hood cable broke where it attaches to the inside releast handle. When I try to expose the cable inside the outer cable it is not there. I have gone back about 4 inches and when the metal covering is removed all I get is a soft plastic material, no inner cable.
What is up.

Victor
01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I find using a stainless steel brake cable use for bicycle usefull as a replacement for the hood release. Use a brake cable and not a speed cable (much bigger)
Take also the outer cable with inner plastic teflon lining from a bicycle shop. In that case you would need to get 2 end cable and end cable adjustment screw also to get it hooked. Cut to lengh. And add some teflon grease on the entire stainless steal cable. I would think you would not need a spare emergency cable installed as a result.
For the hood to pop out neatly, I used two square pieces of urethane foam on each side of the catch. I my case it helped push the hood up when pop.

I even thought about using that kind of cable for the throttle cable too.

mluder
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Slightly off topic...
My engine cover works as you would expect and opos when you pull the release. However, when I pull my hood release cable, the hood does not "pop" open. I have to pull the release with one hand and lift the hood with the other.

Any thoughts?

Iznodmad
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Slightly off topic...
My engine cover works as you would expect and opos when you pull the release. However, when I pull my hood release cable, the hood does not "pop" open. I have to pull the release with one hand and lift the hood with the other.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, just gotta replace the spring with a bigger one. Then it will "pop". At one point in time there was a "how-to" on this. But, I constantly forget what was on the old dmctalk and what has re-appeared on this new one.

DMCMW Dave
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Slightly off topic...

Any thoughts?

This stronger spring will fix it, but you need to keep the latch lubed a bit or you find it wears on the striker (the part on the hood) more than usual.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9593-spring-latch.aspx

David T
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
You shorten or change the smaller spring but before you do make sure the loop is dropping right into the center of the latch and not rubbing hard on the sides. If it rubs hard the soft metal of the loop will just wear and the hood won't "pop". You might have to enlarge the holes in the latch so you can move it so the loop drops into the center.
David Teitelbaum

Chris Burns
01-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Use either a bike cable or a coat hanger.

dvonk
01-14-2012, 11:03 PM
this video comes to mind, not sure if this is what youre trying to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqocO2zRpk

Jacko
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
When it's time for re-fueling, before getting out of the car, first I reset the trip meter then I open the bonnet with the top of my foot ... saves bending over and groping for the release handle. 8)

thirdmanj
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
That was one of the things I had "repaired" at DMCFL. My hood never popped before, and it still doesn't. I never knew it was supposed to.