PDA

View Full Version : Flux Capacitor's.....

GS450-Junkie
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm tired of looking at Flux Capacitors online along with their $500 price tags. I'd love to simply display a FC along my back parcel shelf, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money to get one. With that said...I'd like to build my own. Anyone have any good leads on the internal parts or know-how to build such a devise ? Now I realize there are how-to's online, but I'm asking a more devoted crowd to find me the parts from perhaps more common places than people would think of or at first realize. i.e. Radio Shack...vs. over 150 hours searching online to find a pretty close vacuum relay, etc. Maybe some of you have already built your own.... I'm not looking for a "dead-on" movie prop that is 110% accurate...just something that obviously looks kinda close, and will deliver the point when someone looks at it. It doesn't really matter to me if it lights up or not when it's done. I'd like to collect the parts, and build some....then report back to the forum. Anyone on here have any info they want to share ? Perhaps you have built your own, and wouldn't mind posting pics, etc.

Farrar
02-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Talk to Sal, a.k.a. SteelWings. He did two batches of Flux Capacitors (note lack of apostrophe) meant for installation in lieu of the driver-side cubby-hole door. It involved some off-the-shelf-parts and some fiberglass fabrication, if memory serves.

Good luck.

GS450-Junkie
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Thank's. Haha.... Brain Fart. (note apostrophe for sarcasm).

Mark D
02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
What kind of budget are you talking here? For a few hundred bucks you can make yourself a replica that is visually pretty close.

Stahlin J1210HPL enclosure = approx 75-100 bucks

Catings of internal relays, or machined aluminum replicas = approx 100-150 bucks

Plexiglass for window = 10 bucks

Window gasket = 10 bucks

Plexiglass for relay base = 10 bucks

Plexiglass for relay diffuser legs (that mount below each relay tube) = 10 bucks

Paint = 10 bucks

Castings of spark plug boots = 10 bucks

7-8mm Spark plug wires = 10-25 bucks

You're looking at around 250-300 if you go with replicated internals and no lights. If you want to scratch build your own relays rather than buy castings I can get you some CAD drawings of their size and shape. You can get creative and make them out of PVC tubing or something and once you paint over them they'll be close. The glass tubes you can replicate using acrylic rod. In the end it might actually be cheaper/easier just to buy castings though and they'll look better.

The alternative like you said would be to hunt for some real relay tubes. The correct tubes are made by Torr Labs (P/N TVS-1) but Eimac brand is more common (P/N VS-2, VS-4) and show up on ebay from time to time. Expect to pay 75-100 bucks per tube though.

If you haven' seen this page already it should also be helpful

http://www.myfluxcapacitor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=40&Itemid=57

Michael
02-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I got a great one from eBay a few months back. It uses the actual box, but has home made components including the tubes. The good thing is it lights up and flashes and has the decals on the relays just like the prop. From a foot away who would ever know?...(besides Chad).

I will take some pics tomorrow of you like, I bought it off eBay for 125.00, but it wasnt working, one 5.00 counter chip later and it works perfect! If memory serves, it used one 555 timer and one counter chip, the rest were resistor, a few diodes, and led lights...about 20.00 in electronics.

If you think some pics would help I will post a few up tomorrow evening which should be detailed enough for you to build your own box with electronics. I think one could do a FC for about 100.00.

Nicholas R
02-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Is there a problem with the DST version? Yea it's not totally accurate but it's damn convenient.

DMC5180
02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
The general public could care less about screen accuracy so long a it flashes (OOOOHH)
when you get the inevitable "where the flux capacitor?"

I have one of those DST units. It serves the purpose. I'm in the process incorporating one of those Steelwings versions for my needs.

mluder
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I just picked up the Diamond Select MK II version that was corrected to change the flashing light pattern. Got it on eBay for $175 - better than half the cost. In the car no one knows the diff.

My suggestion - Keep your eyes on eBay.

Steve

GS450-Junkie
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Is there a problem with the DST version? Yea it's not totally accurate but it's damn convenient.

Didn't know anything about it.... I'll do a google search now. Thanks !

GS450-Junkie
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I just picked up the Diamond Select MK II version that was corrected to change the flashing light pattern. Got it on eBay for $175 - better than half the cost. In the car no one knows the diff.

My suggestion - Keep your eyes on eBay.

Steve

Looks good !

GS450-Junkie
02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
I got a great one from eBay a few months back. It uses the actual box, but has home made components including the tubes. The good thing is it lights up and flashes and has the decals on the relays just like the prop. From a foot away who would ever know?...(besides Chad).

I will take some pics tomorrow of you like, I bought it off eBay for 125.00, but it wasnt working, one 5.00 counter chip later and it works perfect! If memory serves, it used one 555 timer and one counter chip, the rest were resistor, a few diodes, and led lights...about 20.00 in electronics.

If you think some pics would help I will post a few up tomorrow evening which should be detailed enough for you to build your own box with electronics. I think one could do a FC for about 100.00.

Yes please post.