PDA

View Full Version : General Double-Din Navigation Radio Face Plate for those Interested!!!

1batt4u
06-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

Here is the thread I had on the previous forum. This forum is only for those interested in this product!! Don't mean to be rude, but I do not want to hear why you don't want this unit. Like I said this thread is for those interested!!!

This is for those who want to give your DeLoreans a slight upgrade, more modern look, but also keep the same traditonal look, not making big changes in the dash!!

This is the double-din face plate! Made out of 1.5 thick 304 stainless steel. very heavy duty!!!
http://i51.tinypic.com/2lo6cci.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/14df120.jpg

This is the climate control made out of CNC clear acrylic!
http://i51.tinypic.com/2lxz1go.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/o0pagj.jpg

This is how the Climate Control decal will look like. Still the same traditional look!
http://i55.tinypic.com/dyrqs6.jpg

This kit will include Navigation Radio mounting brackets along with mounting screws!

SO you get:
1. 1 Double-Din Navigation Radio Face Plate, made out of 304 SS.
2. A pair of heavy duty SS mounting Brackets with all screws!
3. CNC machined Climate Control panel made out of acrylic.
4. Good quality Climate Control Decal!

All this for $200!!!! Same Price I gave you guys before!!!

I know it has been asked before, what can be done with the Headlight/Hazard switches and the 3 Indicator Lights, "Cooling Fanfail", "Reaer Defrost", and "Lock Doors".

I actually came up with a good idea for the 3 Indicators Lights. It will fit directly where the clock is!!

Made out of billet aluminum! Will also come with a Decal!
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ppylx4.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2eod7jl.jpg

This is seperate from the double-din price. This will be $30

I am still thinking of ways to put the Headlight/Hazard Switches!! Someone had mentioned to add switched on the lower console where the window and defrost switches are. Blend them in!

If you have any ideas please share them!!!

Also please let me know what you think of everything!!! It will mean alot to me!!!

Thank you all!!!! ;)

Patrick C
06-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Count me in! The sooner these get made, the better!

Lenny
06-07-2011, 07:36 AM
You mention that this is the second time you offered these.

Any photos of this installed?

1batt4u
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
You mention that this is the second time you offered these.

Any photos of this installed?

What I meant is, I had started this Thread before in the old forum, and I am reposting everything again, and the price $200 is still the same that I was offering to sell them for.

Mike C.
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Looks very tempting! If you can get one in a car and show how the install went, I may be interested. What about the rear defroster/lock door lights (just kidding)?

1batt4u
06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I would have to place a big order inorder for this to go through! I will need 35 pieces of each part inorder to get all this done at a reasonable price. The less pieces I order to more money it will cost each piece to make. After 35 pieces the price usually stays the same. I'll go down to at least 30 people to start all this. I do not want to spend a large amount of money to get all this done and have only 4, 5, 6 people buy this. I will try at least to get a double-din face plate to show!

The process of all this usually takes an estimate of 2 months, sometimes a little longer!
The decal will take less time! Probably a month or so!

I will post this on DMChelp as well, you guys recommend any other forum to post? Any in Europe. Sorry not to familiar with all the forums.

Thank you all again!! ;)

1batt4u
06-07-2011, 01:17 PM
looks very tempting! If you can get one in a car and show how the install went, i may be interested. What about the rear defroster/lock door lights (just kidding)?

lol!

1batt4u
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Count me in! The sooner these get made, the better!

Thanks Patrick, I always remember that you want one! BTW what happened to your JR avator? I'm a Jock Ewing fan! lol!!

thegodfather
06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I love this idea! It sure would make the console look great.

aiki99
06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
interested in one as well.....Let me know how things progress......

uhhair
06-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree about installing one first. If you can order just one and install it and show everyone the finished product, I bet you would easily make the quota to have them affordable. I would definitely buy one if I knew what the finish product looked like, and it's close to what I imagine it to be in my head :)

jmettee
06-08-2011, 11:52 PM
I agree about installing one first. If you can order just one and install it and show everyone the finished product, I bet you would easily make the quota to have them affordable. I would definitely buy one if I knew what the finish product looked like, and it's close to what I imagine it to be in my head :)

Exactly, no one will signup at risk of losing money without seeing a prototype. You need to build at least 1 to work out all the bugs & fit issues. It's impossible to have a perfect part the first time on something like this. In other words, what if there is a major fit problem....then you collected $200 from 30 people ($6K) & have 30 bad parts that are trash & need to be re-made.

It's in your best interest to spend the money & make 1. You can cut costs by using aluminum for the bracket & simpling printing a piece of paper for the fascia background for a prototype to catch any significant issues.

1batt4u
06-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Exactly, no one will signup at risk of losing money without seeing a prototype. You need to build at least 1 to work out all the bugs & fit issues. It's impossible to have a perfect part the first time on something like this. In other words, what if there is a major fit problem....then you collected $200 from 30 people ($6K) & have 30 bad parts that are trash & need to be re-made.

It's in your best interest to spend the money & make 1. You can cut costs by using aluminum for the bracket & simpling printing a piece of paper for the fascia background for a prototype to catch any significant issues.

I know, I agree with you!!! I have been designing things for some time now, so there won't be any bugs. I have perfected the CAD designing. All my designs are checked in every way possible so they can come out perfect in everyway!! And the companies have to make the parts according to my design or it is a no go. If the process takes more time then expected I will gladly refund people!
I will try and get a few frames completed, it will be kinda pricey, but it will be a test, which should come out perfect.

In the mean time I just want to see how many people are interested! I will try the other forums as well!

Thank you!! ;)

1batt4u
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
So I am FINALLY getting a frame together as a test and to show to every one the actual look of the frame and how everything looks!!

Should definitely have it ready within 2 weeks, hopefully!!!

uhhair
06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm excited about this, I hope it turns out as well as it looks in my head!

living_the_dream
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
if it all goes well, count me in for sure

TTait
06-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Looks cool, but if you put the headlight switches in the center console it could prove too easy to bump them when driving - I know I occasionally bump the rear defogger switch - not a problem really - but bumping off the headlights...

How about a reproduction left kneepad with the switches integrated?

1batt4u
06-18-2011, 01:31 AM
I'm thinking about where to put those switches!! Hopefully I can come up with something good! :Headspin:

jbreeden
06-18-2011, 07:57 PM
has anyone ever tried doing a combo switch/dial that incorporates the console light dimmer with a headlight switch?

1batt4u
06-19-2011, 01:26 AM
has anyone ever tried doing a combo switch/dial that incorporates the console light dimmer with a headlight switch?

I've thought of that, becuase my 2000 Trans Am and alot of other GM cars have a knob for the headlight switch. So it would be possible to do that. Then gotta think of a haazard switch. Others have said to add switches to the window defrost switch section, for the headlights and hazard switch.

Still thinking though, of a good place for them!!!

Nicholas R
06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Goodness now I'm really torn. I was considering trying to put an original radio back in the car; now I might rather do this.

1batt4u
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Goodness now I'm really torn. I was considering trying to put an original radio back in the car; now I might rather do this.

Sounds Good!!! :burnout:

Hopefully I will have the protoype by next week!!!

1batt4u
07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
OK!!!! Here we go!!! I finally have something to show you guys, instead of a 3-D preview!

The size of the double-din frame is identical to the D's stock radio frame. If you check out the 2 bottom areas they are identical in curves/angles!! SLight problem is that the new frame has a tad trouble getting into place. Not that bad at all, just a small fix. It turns out that the stock frame has that problem as well. Once you get the bottom in, you have to sort of bend the top downwards to get it in, and it slightly curves the frame a tad. Since I am in the process of making these, I wanna correct this problem, which will be easy!!!! When I make something I make sure it works out perfect!!!

So tell me what you guys think now!!!!! :hihi:

http://i55.tinypic.com/15rfazb.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/b52uk7.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/w8xfg7.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/dwoxp2.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/281xzrc.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2d0xavb.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/14to9w9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1058ltg.jpg

Patrick C
07-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Looks beautiful!!!

stevedmc
07-07-2011, 09:19 PM
It is beautiful. I have a feeling DMCH will be calling you soon to place an order.

Have you figured out where to mount the headlight/hazard switches?

dmc6960
07-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Have a picture with the AC decal lit up? Also looks glossy/reflective in the photo. That would be a problem while driving in sunlight. Should be a matt finish. Otherwise looks great.

Morpheus
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
It is certainly beautiful, however the lack of a mounting location for the headlight and hazard switches is a bit troubling. Have you had any ideas for what to do with those?

Nicholas R
07-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I think headlights and hazards are the reason why there are dummy switches next to the window switches.

1batt4u
07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Have a picture with the AC decal lit up? Also looks glossy/reflective in the photo. That would be a problem while driving in sunlight. Should be a matt finish. Otherwise looks great.

The A/C decal, which really isn't a decal, is from the company that is going to make them. They sent that to me on a Black and clear sheet with all the measurements and information. I just cut it out to show how it will look like. As far lighting, the clear a/c panel lights up pretty good, just doesn't look right with the Black & clear a/c panel sample lighting up.

1batt4u
07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Thank you all for the compliments!!!

As far as the headlight and hazard switches I am still thinking of ideas where to put them. Maybe make small brackets for them mount them some where along the kneepads, or even make a custom shifter plate for them to be mounted, I am always thinking of different ways!

Domi
07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Looks amazing, really good job :thumbup2:

DMCMW Dave
07-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I like it. Looks like you still need to get the recess on the hole for the temp knob so it doesn't stick out. When do you think this might be available for real? I might need to put one in my car as a demo here.

I'd probably make up a small panel to embed in the left kneepad for the headlight and hazard switches, and I'd probably use different design switches. Nothing particular in mind but something from a modern car would not be impossible to adapt given a few relays or some electronics.

The shift panel (minus the clock) is an interesting alternative, and you don't really need the clock with the modern stereo heads anyway. It's just a tighter space to work in.

If you want them more invisible/reversible/simple, you could use an old-school pull-out headlight switch mounted through the kneepad pointing down, and bury the flasher switch the same way.

jfirios
07-09-2011, 02:30 AM
They look great, I would love to have a double din nav again in my D. Would love to see one that has everything installed. Though the test fit looks amazing. Is it hard to re do all the switches and placement of the environment controls?

AirmanPika
07-09-2011, 02:49 AM
I'm thinking to properly sell this kit, you'll want to develop a good mounting solution for the switches that need relocated and wiring harnesses to extend the hazard and headlight switches to that final solution. My suggestion would be to replace one of the knee pads with a panel that has the switches there. Its the shortest wiring option and simply requires the removal of the existing pad. I wouldn't go with an option that requires owners to modify any original delorean parts. I don't recall my knees ever hitting the right kneepad so it really doesn't need to be a padded leather panel. This would help cut costs.

1batt4u
07-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I know. I am thinking of different ways of where to put the headlight and hazard switches.

I have also designed this in the mean time.

http://i52.tinypic.com/mjvalt.jpg

Keeping the stock a/c panel right under the double-din opening, at an angle, inorder for it to fit, with the frame extending as the shifter plate. The only 2 problems with this is, the Temperature control switch, and the Mode control switch will not reach!!! They reach just about up to where they are originally mounted. Now with this version it will be lower and more forward due to the angle and they do not reach. Maybe I can get the Mode Control some how, but the Temp. Cont. will not budge!! Any ideas??

Nicholas R
07-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Wow that's a little different. Not bad just different. Would that interfere with the shifter though? Looks like its being pushed back. Maybe it's just an illusion.

1batt4u
07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Wow that's a little different. Not bad just different. Would that interfere with the shifter though? Looks like its being pushed back. Maybe it's just an illusion.

The shifter part I just threw in quick, thats why it seems like that, didn't bother to measure it yet.

Farrar
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I am thinking for the headlights/parking lights you could just mount something like this three-position push-pull switch in the knee pad...

Farrar

SIMid
07-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I think headlights and hazards are the reason why there are dummy switches next to the window switches.

I second this as well. Adding the switches there would make it look stock looking. Toggle switches to replace the round knobs possibly?

Or just hook up one of these instead. :wink:

http://www.retourverslefutur.com/images/rvlf1/1955/1955_029.jpg

Looks great though, excellent job!!

Farrar
07-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Or just hook up one of these instead.

I think wiring Michael J. Fox into your car would be not only unnecessary but cruel to Mr. Fox.

Farrar

Patrick C
07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
BUMP. Any updates?!? :)

DMCNY
07-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey Billy, I think you've done a great job so far designing the new frame.

I know there has been some discussion about the best place to put the headlight and hazzard switches, but for myself, and IMHO, I would want the set-up to appear as stock as possible. This is why I like the idea of using the Dummy switches the best.

I like what you've done with the face panel itself. It appears to be what could have come out of the factory if the car was built that way.

I know many have said that it may be a problem with contantly bumping the switches and accidentally turning them on or off, but I still think it's a great solution. As long as the Dummy switches are the same on/off switches that DMCH sells, I would like them.

My biggest thing would be a harness. I would like to use a harness with relays to go from the Dummy switches to the stock connectors of the headlight and hazzard switches. Preferablly with a stock style connector for both ends. This also could be a customer custom built thing that wouldn't really be a huge deal.

For me, if I had to lose the "LOCK DOORS" "DEFROSTER" & "FAN FAIL" lights, thats wouldn't be a huge deal to me. I would just remove the bulbs and be done with it.

The thing for me would be to not modify the car in anyway that you couldn't easily go back to stock if you wanted to.

I know Dave mentioned about the recess for the Temp control knob. If you could get that area straightened out and we could possibly see a good rendering of what the finished lighted A/C panel overlay will look like, you can count me in.

Looking forward to your next update.

TTait
07-24-2011, 12:20 AM
For me, if I had to lose the "LOCK DOORS" "DEFROSTER" & "FAN FAIL" lights, thats wouldn't be a huge deal to me. I would just remove the bulbs and be done with it.

Agreed. I place some value in the rear defog light, but not the others personally. I'll bet that if these generate enough interest I'll bet their new switch vendor could produce an illuminating version of the rear defrost switch - in the meantime, a single red or amber LED could be wired into the rear defrost circuit and positioned either just above or just below the rear window, visible in the rear view mirror.

1batt4u
07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi guys,

As fr the frame itself, I am working out a few bugs, just correcting a few small measurements so it can have a better fit!!

As for the headlight and hazard switches, I am playing around with a few designs and/or ideas.

1batt4u
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Here is a teaser picture!! Photoshopped the headlight and hazard symbols onto the switches!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/nl7af6.jpg

Farrar
07-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Good time to put the headlights on a new relay. :)

Farrar

aiki99
07-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Looks like this is the way to go.....Looks completely factory !!!!

sean
07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
I like it :thumbup:

Bitsyncmaster
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
You do nice metal work.

I do use the lock doors, fan fail and defroster indicators. I do lock my doors when driving and the light reminds me. The fan fail warns me of a possible problem. The defroster I never use but a few times it showed me the switch got turned on.

Do you plan to eliminate the "parking" light option? If you stick with an simple on/off switch for the head lights you would need a switch for the parking lights.

Farrar
07-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Do you plan to eliminate the "parking" light option? If you stick with an simple on/off switch for the head lights you would need a switch for the parking lights.

You could wire the parking lights to keyed voltage and call them "daytime running lights"...

Farrar

DMCNY
07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
I like it a lot. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of just plain black dummy switches, but this, this is nice.

For those who would want the parking lights to still be used seperately, you could always use a window switch hooked up to a latching interface or make your own with two relays and a diode. One direction could be parking lights and the other could be all lights on. Just a thought.

Morpheus
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I admire all of this innovation and forward thinking. However, if the goal is to sell these to more than a handful of people, (i.e. those willing and able to do some major wiring modifications) this will need to be more of a plug-and-play solution to be attractive to the average D owner.

How many initial units will you need to order to keep the costs low?

Nicholas R
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Assuming you replace your dash lights with LED's there's really no need for the rheostat next to the clock; what about placing a switch there? You could put a 2 position knob, a pull switch, or depending on clearance, a 2 position push button.

Farrar
07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
I think you mean three-position -- 1. off; 2. parking lights; 3. parking lights & headlights.

Farrar

Domi
07-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Really good job, I like it too :)

jfirios
08-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Hey Like I suggested on the dmchelp.com site, I think a great place for the headlight switch would be in the space for the cigarette lighter. or if you want to keep the power outlet, cut a hole on the opposite side of the lighter for the headlight plunger switch. What do you all think. I am dying to get one in my car. Nothing better than a double din HU instead of the motorized HU.

Nicholas R
08-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I am dying to get one in my car. Nothing better than a double din HU instead of the motorized HU.

Agreed. Stupid thing blocks my air vents when it's up :angry:

1batt4u
08-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Here is something else I've been working on, and I will be able to offer as an option. A custom shifter plate, to be used with the double-din frame.

http://i56.tinypic.com/bhmxk0.jpg

The 2 switches will be mounted on with a bracket underneath, that way the buttons aren't popping up to high. They will be the same height as original! The switches will fit perfect, and the wires for the switches are long enough, so no mods!!!! :aniclap:

The middle section, I will offer with the shifter plate, the same unit I had on Page 1 for the 3 Indicator Lights, "Cooling Fanfail", "Rear Defrost", and "Lock Doors".

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ppylx4.jpg

What do you guys think???

Nicholas R
08-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Is there enough room between that shifter plate and the body tub to fit the original headlight switch and hazzard light switch? They're kind of deep... especially with the electrical socket on the back that they plug into. It's at least a few inches.

jfirios
08-17-2011, 02:21 AM
i still think the best spot for those switches is in the cigarette lighter position allowing for the plunger assembly and the hazards can go on one of the dummy switches.

1batt4u
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Is there enough room between that shifter plate and the body tub to fit the original headlight switch and hazzard light switch? They're kind of deep... especially with the electrical socket on the back that they plug into. It's at least a few inches.

I did a check up on that when I was coming up with the design, seems like they will fit. I will try and get a prototype and check it out!

1batt4u
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
i still think the best spot for those switches is in the cigarette lighter position allowing for the plunger assembly and the hazards can go on one of the dummy switches.

As far as how everyone wants their headlight and hazard light switches hooked up, it will be up to them. I am offering the custom shifter plate as an option, which will make things easier to hook up. Its really up to everyones preference, others can hook them up on the kneepad section, others like you wrote to put the headlight where the cigarette lighter is or get their own switches and put them where the window switches are.

Patrick C
08-17-2011, 09:03 PM
From Danny Botkin's Facebook page tonight!

TTait
08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I think the updated shifter plate sounds like a great strategy.

Keep going.

Nicholas R
08-17-2011, 11:47 PM

Holy sh*t. I'm in love. DEFINITELY digging the knee pad idea. Where in the world did those AC knobs come from?! They're awesome!

1batt4u
08-18-2011, 12:03 AM

Yeah, thats ok!! LOL!

It looks good! I'm trying to go the stock look, sort of. :-)

jfirios
08-27-2011, 06:21 PM
How did danny get the double din adapter? Are they available? I personally like both ideas. Dannys is pretty cool looking, but then again so is yours. I love the idea of the two switches in the new shifter plate.
When can I get one.

1batt4u
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I am trying to perfect the double-din frame, and working on the shifter plate as well. I am currently working on my D as well, trying to juggle everything!

As always I'll keep everyone posted!!

Thank you!!

jfirios
08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
what I dont like about dannys is that his head light switch is right behind the ignition key. Might be a bit of a pain in the arse to turn the lights on and off, I would have switched the head light and hazzard switches. Seriously how often do you need your hazzards. I think that one can be a little more obstructed instead of the main headlight switch.

Ryan King
08-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Going to be honest, I don't like it. I don't like the idea of cutting into the knee pads what so ever. What I like most about this Double-Din mod is that you can return your car to stock rather easily without any modification. Inserting the Double Din seems like you just need to unplug and replug a few things while keeping the same stock feel and appeal.

I would be interested in buying a set when things get more streamline. So far I am impressed!

john 05141
08-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Very nice thinking, very good idea, promising results!

May I make 2 small suggestions. When I look at the pictures, you made a nice looking modern set up. I like the 3 AC knobs in a row. But those old looking block knobs catches my eye immediately. Can they not be made out of aluminum, sort of brushed look, and maybe a little smaller?

Second, I see a lot of cars with ambient lights in the car. Maybe a modest ambient light in the console wil be a nice feature. (do not overdo it of course)

John

1batt4u
08-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Very nice thinking, very good idea, promising results!

May I make 2 small suggestions. When I look at the pictures, you made a nice looking modern set up. I like the 3 AC knobs in a row. But those old looking block knobs catches my eye immediately. Can they not be made out of aluminum, sort of brushed look, and maybe a little smaller?

Second, I see a lot of cars with ambient lights in the car. Maybe a modest ambient light in the console wil be a nice feature. (do not overdo it of course)

John

I've tried billet knobs awhile ago on my Trans Ams, but it is kind of hard to make the openings to mount on the controls.

What kind of ambient lights did you have in mind? Post links to any car pictures so I can get an idea!!

Thanks again!!!

john 05141
08-31-2011, 03:46 AM
Looks like this.
It is not my car, but I have an ambient light package in my car that spreads this light from under my dashboard and doors, looks very cool.
They are a row of LEDs.

John

Nicholas R
10-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Is there any update to this? Still interested :D

1batt4u
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I put it on hold for the moment. I am tying to get some things out of the way before I continue. Hopefully sometime real soon!

Nicholas R
10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
I put it on hold for the moment. I am tying to get some things out of the way before I continue. Hopefully sometime real soon!

Cool! Keep us in formed! :D

I still might poke this thread with a stick from time to time though just to check up ;-)...

aiki99
02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Any new updates ???

1batt4u
02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Acutally today I was going over it! We had lovely weather here in NY. I was working on my Delorean, and was looking over the double-din face plate. It needs some adjusting. I just want to get it right!

1batt4u
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi all!!!

I am currently working on the double-din project!!

Working out some stuff, measurements and working on a custom shifter panel for the headllight and hazzard switches!!

Since I have the whole interior apart, need help with something!!

The original shifter panel has 2 screws that connect to the arm rest console. How exactly to those 2 screws connect, on what do they screw onto?? I don't see anything, may have lost whatever it was! I don't see anything on the delorean.com page either http://store.delorean.com/c-316-8-7-0-dashboardconsole.aspx

Nicholas R
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi all!!!

I am currently working on the double-din project!!

Working out some stuff, measurements and working on a custom shifter panel for the headllight and hazzard switches!!

Since I have the whole interior apart, need help with something!!

The original shifter panel has 2 screws that connect to the arm rest console. How exactly to those 2 screws connect, on what do they screw onto?? I don't see anything, may have lost whatever it was! I don't see anything on the delorean.com page either http://store.delorean.com/c-316-8-7-0-dashboardconsole.aspx

There is a tiny little piece of metal, (strip of metal really) bent like a top hat, that has 4 holes in it, 2 on the low sides, 2 on the top. The holes on the sides are for the studs coming up through the fiberglass; the same ones that hold the console in place. The top 2 holes have the little clip things around them that pan head screws screw into. I'll try to find photos.

This is what the little clips look like that the pan head screws go into:
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/sp10169.JPG

It looks like the little top hat shaped bracket isn't listed on the DMCH website. I feel like I read somewhere that it was an afterthought. Originally the shifter panel had just these little tab things to hold it in place, but I dont think they did a good enough job:
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/10557.jpg

EDIT:
Here's a quick rendering of the bracket in question:
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss94/NicholasRoedl/TopHat.jpg

Also I just want to say that I am so stoked to hear that this project is back on!

Ozzie
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
....The original shifter panel has 2 screws that connect to the arm rest console. How exactly to those 2 screws connect, on what do they screw onto?? I don't see anything, may have lost whatever it was! I don't see anything on the delorean.com page either http://store.delorean.com/c-316-8-7-0-dashboardconsole.aspx

The two screws bolt into two nut clips, that are clipped onto a frame mounted, simple (bent flat strip) bracket. The end of the window switch assembly console, is sandwiched between the nut clips and the center/shifter panel.

1batt4u
06-25-2012, 02:02 PM
I gotta look for these!! Probably somewhere in my car!!

Thanks guys!!!

1batt4u
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
There is a tiny little piece of metal, (strip of metal really) bent like a top hat, that has 4 holes in it, 2 on the low sides, 2 on the top. The holes on the sides are for the studs coming up through the fiberglass; the same ones that hold the console in place. The top 2 holes have the little clip things around them that pan head screws screw into. I'll try to find photos.

This is what the little clips look like that the pan head screws go into:
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/sp10169.JPG

It looks like the little top hat shaped bracket isn't listed on the DMCH website. I feel like I read somewhere that it was an afterthought. Originally the shifter panel had just these little tab things to hold it in place, but I dont think they did a good enough job:
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/10557.jpg

EDIT:
Here's a quick rendering of the bracket in question:
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss94/NicholasRoedl/TopHat.jpg

Also I just want to say that I am so stoked to hear that this project is back on!

Where did you get the pictur eof the metal bracket there?? I take it DMCH doesn't offer it? I can't seem to find mine!

1batt4u
09-16-2012, 10:35 PM
My cousin gave me his 6 ton press from Harbor Freight. It was hard to work with, its a tight space, but I finally made the recess on the hole for the temp knob so it doesn't stick out!

I am Seriously trying to get this project going!!

Nicholas R
09-17-2012, 01:58 AM
My cousin gave me his 6 ton press from Harbor Freight. It was hard to work with, its a tight space, but I finally made the recess on the hole for the temp knob so it doesn't stick out!

I am Seriously trying to get this project going!!

VERY NICE! When are you taking orders?! :biggrin: (oh and sorry for never responding before, that picture above^ was just a really quick model I made in solidworks)

1batt4u
09-18-2012, 10:10 PM
VERY NICE! When are you taking orders?! :biggrin: (oh and sorry for never responding before, that picture above^ was just a really quick model I made in solidworks)

Its ok no problem!! I did find mine! :-)

I will make an "Official" thread on it, what is being offered and options, and another thread on the For Sale section to make a list of people willing to buy!

seventy4burban
09-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I will be all over this. Was shopping for a new head unit to replace my 2007 model. (I need bluetooth) Anyways, safe to say i will be waiting now. Double DIN baby!!!! I'm in favor of the original controls, only question is were to put the headlight/hazards.

john 05141
11-21-2012, 04:07 AM
I want to replace my radio too, also bluetooth is the drive, and GPS would be nice. I want to do that this winter however, so will this be available soon, x-mas is around the corner...

Jan

1batt4u
03-19-2013, 01:37 AM
So I finally worked out all the details.

I started an official thread on the Mod Section.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6580-Official-Double-Din-Frame-Face-Plate

1batt4u
04-18-2013, 12:51 AM
Just in case you missed it:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6580-Official-Double-Din-Frame-Face-Plate

Here is the for sale thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6846-Double-Din-Face-plate-Bracket-Radio-Frame&p=99519#post99519

1batt4u
04-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Bump! For those that haven't seen it yet!

1batt4u
06-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I've updated the HVAC panel with headlight/hazard switch included, if anyone has not seen it, you can read about the details here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6580-Official-Double-Din-Frame-Face-Plate/page2&highlight=double-din

http://i44.tinypic.com/nmddmp.jpg

1batt4u
10-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Here is another update on the Double-Din Frame.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2yo2zr5.jpg

This is another idea, and very easy, to mount the headlight and hazard switches.

I already did all the work on the CAD file. It will work out! :-)

I just need everyone's opinion on it, so I know if it is a go!!

Thank you!

1batt4u
10-28-2013, 03:03 PM
The switches will be mounted on the inside, not on the double-din frame itself. So they will be recessed.

Patrick C
10-28-2013, 07:03 PM
I like that design even better!

1batt4u
10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I like that design even better!

Thank you!

Lets see what the rest have to say.

seventy4burban
10-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Both those designs I like. Defiantly better than the previous solutions. The one with the light switches next to the radio is probably the best. Keeps the HVAC controls all together

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bitsyncmaster
10-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Will a DIN radio and the switches fit beside each other? Remember the switches are bigger where they mount.

1batt4u
10-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Will a DIN radio and the switches fit beside each other? Remember the switches are bigger where they mount.

Yes they will. It will be a tight fit, it will take up all the space, but will fit.

1batt4u
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Here is a cut out I did.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ju9x0j.jpg

Patrick C
01-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Any updates?

1batt4u
01-31-2014, 11:26 PM
Still deciding on what setup to go with.

1. My first option, but you would need to find a place for the headlight and hazard switches, your option of choice.
http://i52.tinypic.com/b52uk7.jpg

2. Second option, everything will fit on the faceplate, but the fan speed switch will be relocated on the shifter plate where the dimmer goes.
http://i59.tinypic.com/szivb4.jpg

3. A set up like the DMCEV, the frame it self. Your choice whether to use the doors air vents only or add on the knee pads or something else.

Its a tough choice.

I can make all three options, but when making these I need a 30 minimum order of each.

jackb
02-01-2014, 01:47 AM
I'd be in for one of the first version, relocating the headlight/hazard buttons.

Patrick C
02-01-2014, 09:09 AM
I'd be in for one of the first version, relocating the headlight/hazard buttons.

Me as well.

Patrick C
02-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Me as well.

Scratch this...I'm taking a different approach. Will create a new thread when I begin. :)

1batt4u
02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Scratch this...I'm taking a different approach. Will create a new thread when I begin. :)

I'm trying to come up with easier ideas that will work with everyone. I came up with one.

What approach are you taking?

Patrick C
02-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to come up with easier ideas that will work with everyone. I came up with one.

What approach are you taking?

See attached image. :)

1batt4u
02-03-2014, 08:36 PM
See attached image. :)

I've thought of something similar, but taking up the whole section, top to bottom, make the HVAC system work from the tablet, but too much work and other stuff.

jmettee
02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
I've thought of something similar, but taking up the whole section, top to bottom, make the HVAC system work from the tablet, but too much work and other stuff.

Not to mention when the iPad changes dimensions with a future version & you need a replacement, all the work to design around it is thrown out. Double-DIN is standard sizing & easily replaceable.

1batt4u
02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Not to mention when the iPad changes dimensions with a future version & you need a replacement, all the work to design around it is thrown out. Double-DIN is standard sizing & easily replaceable.

Agreed.

DeLorean937
02-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Looks good!! Count me in for an order!

Shep
04-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Finally throwing my interest into the ring. Any updates on this project? I'm particularly interested in this design of yours from post 93:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2yo2zr5.jpg
This seems like the best "stock-looking" option that doesn't sacrifice any space outside the faceplate and can keep all the OEM controls.

04-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Just saw this post, great work but did you ever get the 30 people you were looking for to finally build some units to sell? I too would be interested.

1batt4u
04-18-2015, 12:02 AM
No I never did, I just got 4.

I will start it off with just a few kits, then see where it goes on from there.

davidc89
04-18-2015, 12:38 AM
I really like this modern feel. I would potentially be interested. Would like to see the final set up though. Very cool!!!!

adam_knox
06-05-2017, 03:22 PM
I really like this modern feel. I would potentially be interested. Would like to see the final set up though. Very cool!!!!
Any chance this set up still being available? Maybe just a 3d print and a bezel piece for dials?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Nuclearbacon
09-25-2017, 07:15 PM
This is SO COOL! I love custom metalworking.

Lwanmtr
09-26-2017, 01:26 AM
Just saw this thread...Looks very cool. Wondering myself on the status? Kits? etc?

Redsquall
09-16-2018, 10:24 PM
No I never did, I just got 4.

I will start it off with just a few kits, then see where it goes on from there.

Billy
is this still a thing? I’m interested. Thanks

Josh
09-16-2018, 11:41 PM
some of us have gone our own direction

https://i.imgur.com/lInkPMA.jpg?1

Redsquall
09-19-2018, 04:58 PM
some of us have gone our own direction

https://i.imgur.com/lInkPMA.jpg?1
That’s really nice Josh. Do you have any details in another post about it? Thanks