PDA

View Full Version : Advice on keeping a car that is no longer made?

derek
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I happen to drive a car that is no longer in the car business. It is a Saab. They have shut down. There are bidders to resume production but I would not count on it. Already, there is a shortage of a few parts. Many parts are available or are available from aftermarket sources.

How is your experience of having a Delorean? If you can remember, how was parts availability around 2000? Was parts availability good enough for use as a daily driver?

I'm thinking that my car, now 7 years old, will be good for another 2-3 years, at least. Then for the next 5 years after that, it will be a game of chance...maybe the car will sit for weeks for a part, maybe not.

ccurzio
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure they made a lot more Saabs than DeLoreans. I'm sure you'll be fine for a lot longer than 5 years.

Cory W
02-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I suspect there are enough SAABs around that parts availability shouldn't be too much of an issue for a number of years. While the sole-marque dealers will likely close, it's likely that other dealerships owned by the same auto group (with a "SAAB Part and Service" sign somewhere on the premises), or a totally different individual, will purchase the remaining part stock. Dealers may also take on a new vehicle line to sell, and still service SAABs. This is what has happened to many Saturn dealers in my neck of the woods.

There is supposedly legislation out there that requires spare part availability for x years after production ceases. Even though SAAB is gone, the different part suppliers that have made parts for the vehicle can still be a source for parts. Likely, many parts will be cross-referenced with other vehicles, and readily available at parts houses. Here, the internet will be your friend.

For some more SAAB-specific parts, a quick trip to your local Auto recycler may turn up that broken center console cover, or replacement dash vent assembly you need. Many of these facilities are now interconnected via the internet to supply parts for people, while taking inventory that has been sitting for some time off the hands of another facility.

Mike C.
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
You have to remember, DeLorean is a unique case. When most car companies close down, you aren't left with the amount of spare parts that we have the luxury of having access to.

We are very lucky.

derek
02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
There is supposedly legislation out there that requires spare part availability for x years after production ceases.

I don't think the law is enforcable with a defunct company.

Saab 9-3 keys are made with soft rubber. The previous model had hard plastic but some wiseguy thought soft rubber was luxurious. The rubber breaks down after about 5 years. U.S. dealers have been backordered for nearly a year. Ebay is the main source for the $45 key, which now sell for about $250 on ebay. For a while, they were selling at $400.

Cory W
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't think the law is enforcable with a defunct company.

There's no way to get blood from a stone, no. However, the suppliers and GM-era SAAB are another story altogether. Under GM rule, SAAB often had platform mates, for economy of scale, located around the globe. There's also anything sourced from the "global parts bin" rather than reinventing the wheel for the same washer or bolt. Part supply for most of your car may not be easy, but shouldn't be impossible. Only the future knows how the GM bankruptcy and restructuring will affect model-specific part availability.

Saab 9-3 keys are made with soft rubber. The previous model had hard plastic but some wiseguy thought soft rubber was luxurious. The rubber breaks down after about 5 years. U.S. dealers have been backordered for nearly a year. Ebay is the main source for the $45 key, which now sell for about $250 on ebay. For a while, they were selling at $400.

Some wiseguy likely had a friend or family member who had extra capacity at their factory and wanted to become a GM supplier. Probably made all those little GM badges on the front fenders of cars for a few years too.

The eBay prices represent the best (and worst) of supply and demand, with a bit of "make me an offer" speculation thrown in for good measure. I'm not familiar with the key design; is it something that could be replicated in plastic or some other material? I'm assuming it's not a simple "insert key in slot" system?

stevedmc
02-10-2012, 04:34 AM
For what it's worth, I get far better support for my Delorean than I do for my 1994 Geo Metro. There are some Metro parts I simply cannot get unless I go to the junk yard.

Jimmyvonviggle
02-10-2012, 05:57 AM
For what it's worth, I get far better support for my Delorean than I do for my 1994 Geo Metro. There are some Metro parts I simply cannot get unless I go to the junk yard.

If you have to exclusively go to a junkyard to fill your automotive parts list maybe that says something about the car (old classics excluded). No offense just saying.

stevedmc
02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
If you have to exclusively go to a junkyard to fill your automotive parts list maybe that says something about the car (old classics excluded). No offense just saying.

I said some, not all.

DMCVegas
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
As it's been pointed out by Mike and Cory W, there are some unique instances here.

Absolutely the DeLorean is a unique situation because of the massive parts orders for a huge increase in production that never happened. As such that's where we get our parts today. But SAAB does also have a unique situation as well. The older. non-GM SAABs do have quite a cult following. So there are certainly going to be enthusiasts who will keep the community going for quite a few years. The flip side of course is that as it was pointed out, your modern SAABs are just badge-engineered and parts bin-sourced cars. So your parts for them (with perhaps a few trim exceptions) should be around for quite a few years.

I considered buying a new SAAB myself, but the dealers want too much damn money for them. That's my reason for not buying. Not parts availability, nor the fact that their tubro I-4 gets worse gas mileage than my V-8 F150. Otherwise I'd take the plunge.

Parts are honestly the least of your worries. I'd say go for it.

As for the buyout of SAAB, don't hold your breath. The Chinese were trying to buy SAAB but they and GM both backed out when GM let them know that they could have the brand, but the proprietary technologies that make the car run (Think Delphi electronics). The Chinese honestly had no interest in SAAB itself. It was just a way to finally get legal rights to GM's technologies so they could kill the patent lawsuits because of companies like "Chery" in China. Even if this did go through, don't hold your breath that SAAB wold return.

Manxmann
02-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Not being from the US my first thought was what the heck is a Geo Metro, after a quick Google the answer is..... the perfect example of parts/platform sharing thats what!

Its a Suzuki Swift!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3823693/1994-suzuki-swift

Dangermouse
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
We should all go an buy a new Saab and park it in a damp shed for 30 years, the retire on the obvious profits.

dvonk
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
:hysterical:

Dermot, youre on fire today!

Notifier
02-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey, derek, just out of curiosity, what Saab do you have?

I'm in the same situation, own a Saab and a DeLorean. Although I will be selling my Saab in the next couple of months (nothing related to parts or Saab being out of business) I'm not necessarily worried about parts availability. There are some parts, like the SID display (a electronic display on top of the dash between the driver and passenger seats) that I believe are specific for this model, that owners have had issues with pixels dying. There are places, that are no way GM/Saab related, where you can send your SID to and have them rebuild it and correct the pixel issues. But then some parts will be available for a long time because of GM sharing platforms between vehicles.

What's unique about Saab, from my experience, is that there is a nice following of people online who are willing to help each-other out. And there are a lot of independent shops out there specializing in the European brands and have the TechII programming to diagnose problems.

And I totally understand you on the key issue! Out of the two sets of keys, my regular set looks like it's gone through a garbage disposal a couple of times and that's only after normal use! I don't abuse it at all. My spare set, which never gets used, looks brand new. I haven't looked into replacements yet but sounds like I'm SOL...

Notifier
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
We should all go an buy a new Saab and park it in a damp shed for 30 years, the retire on the obvious profits.

I know you're making a joke but with all the finicky electronics in a vehicle today, would that even be possible? Practically every electrical part in my Saab "talks" to one another through a fiber optic buss. The turn signal talks to the radio that talks to the airbag that talks to the door switches... Take one thing out of the equation and half the car doesn't work! Cars that were produced in the 80's had simple electrics; relays, diodes, a lot of heavy gauge wire. Although things can break, a relay is a relay and still universally available or easily rewired to a modern one. And with the exception of cleaning up the fuel system and engine mechanical components, you should (in theory) just be able to turn the key on a car that has been sitting for 30 years and go! Modern cars, I honestly wonder about that. When that "door module" got wet, fried, and now generates an error code and won't let the headlights turn on, where are you going to find a replacement door module in 2042?

DeLorean
02-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I also have Saabs - several actually. I also frequent junk yards. Any parts I can't buy new once Saab stops making parts I can just buy at the junk yard. Will there be a LFF of the Saab world? In time, No doubt... I think it will be a while till that happens.

Dangermouse
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Last made Saabs parked at the NJ dock:

http://www.foundourownroad.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=562

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LiEnBHhaXo4/T20pJz1JYeI/AAAAAAAAAMU/kX_IIAcT4Ek/s720/IMGP6401.JPG

interesting article - anyone see a parallel?

And is that forum member "DeLorean" a member on here?

EDIT - Nevermind :)

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3492-The-DeLorean-Saab-connection

DL4567
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Wow, such a picture sure looks familiar!

DeLorean
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM

:lol: Simply great.

CristinaFerrare
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm the photog on those snaps, too.... ;)

DeLorean
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm the photog on those snaps, too.... ;)

:)

Dracula
03-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I wonder if they'll be asked in 30 years why they replaced the Chevy 350 that their car originally came with?