PDA

View Full Version : General Need help Deciding

Utah DeLorean
06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
So I have been working on a restoration (Very very slowly!)

So far I have only gotten the front drivers fender off (Mainly because I was going to send it in to fix a ding in it)

Now that summer is here again I am getting the Itch to drive my car.

The ding is not really noticeable. It will need a new windshield, new front tires (Which it needs an alignment too!) and a tune up.

Would you continue with a slow restoration that I have going now or would everyone get it running and back on the road again. What does everyone think?

sdg3205
06-07-2011, 01:31 AM
So I have been working on a restoration (Very very slowly!)

So far I have only gotten the front drivers fender off (Mainly because I was going to send it in to fix a ding in it)

Now that summer is here again I am getting the Itch to drive my car.

The ding is not really noticeable. It will need a new windshield, new front tires (Which it needs an alignment too!) and a tune up.

Would you continue with a slow restoration that I have going now or would everyone get it running and back on the road again. What does everyone think?

I guess it depends how bad the windshield, engine and tires are.

fnzen
06-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Frankly if it only needs the stuff you mentioned I would put it back together, and enjoy the car.

I think there are a whole bunch of us with "rolling restorations".

Most of the people that see my car dont see all the little anal stuff that I see ,their comments make me more motivated to keep the restoration going!

Heck when I first got my car I overlooked 95% of the stuff the DMCCA said it needed cuz I was obsessed with the car and I just started wittling their list down. I am proud to say that I am still obsessed with the car.

Dangermouse
06-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Particularly if you live in Utah (as I assume you do based on your username) I would drive it in the summer months and do any serious resto in the winter.

You'll need tires and a windscreen eventually, so go ahead and get them now and drive it. You'll find that driving it keeps all the mechanicals lubricated and in better shape.

David T
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
The problem with a "rolling restoration" is the question of reliablity. The car has to at least be brought back up the level of safe and reliable otherwise you will get tired very quickly of getting stuck every time you take the car out. That said, a lot depends on the time you have and your budget. I would say get the car running reliably and save the big jobs and the cosmetic work for the off-season in the Winter.
David Teitelbaum

Rad Dad
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Drive it! That's why the dang car was made! Okay, now that you know how i feel about garage queens, I say that as long as it is safe, drive it.

First, you will learn more about the car by driving it than you ever will by reading manuals. Second, you'll be able to prioritize fixing those irritating things that you will discover by driving it. Of course, limit your driving to close to home, short trips until you get confidence in the car. Then - - DRIVE IT! You'll love it.