PDA

View Full Version : Alternator alternative

mluder
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Still sporting the Duc but at idle under load my voltage reading on the dash is plummeting dangerously low.

Thinking about going the route of the Special-T replacement instead of the Motorola.

Anybody have any experience with it - recomendations - things to watch out for.

Steven

TTait
02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Ran a Hervey D140 for 4 years - good output at speed but not great at idle. The higher the amperage rating the higher the output at speed, but the lower the output at idle - when it died I decided I'd rather replace it than repair it as it never had enough nut to run the AC and headlights simultaneously at a red light.

Meanwhile I put a DMCH unit, circa 2008 in my wife's D - no problems since except confusion during install. Turns out the battery bulb was dead - but the neither a motorola nor a ducey actually required it to charge the system. I assumed the bulb was good as those units worked - but in reality the bulb was my only problem, but it took a few swaps to figure that out. Since then the unit has worked very well.

Back to my car, two years ago when the D140 died I was tired of waiting for an alternator to get shipped in, so I got a Cadillac alternator (7157-112?) It took several mods to fit, including a modified J type alternator bracket. (will elaborate on request - but note I do not recommend this unit). That lasted almost a year but it whined badly as it was not happy with the rpm ranges the smaller pulley produced - I think. It died at the 11 month mark. I happily took it for a free replacement to my local pep boys and was at the time glad I got a common alternator cheap with a lifetime warranty - installed the second caddy unit. It died in about 2 months.

I had given up on the caddy unit at this point, so I read that the DMC-xx units were now an even better unit being built under the watchful eye of Dave Swingle. Ordered one from Dave and I love it - works great.

In the meantime I took the dead caddy unit back once again - fortunately pep boys did not have a caddy unit in stock, so I talked them into a free exchange for the saturn alternator (CS130?) I did all the required mods to install it, but just put it on the shelf as an emergency spare. I hope both DMC units last for many many years, and I never need to test the saturn unit.

I'd vote DMC-MW... great at idle and at speed.

Tom

mluder
02-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Tom.

I was thinking about the 120 version - it's supposedly rated for daily traffic driving while the 140 says it's for highway. That being said, I'll take to heart your advice.

The one Dave sells at MW - I assume that is a different from the one they sell on the regular DeLorean.com site?

Is it also a strait bolt on replacement, looks simmilar, same belt size as factory, etc?
By the way, it looks like the links to the satelite sites no longer work at DeLorean.com.\

Appreciate the advice.

TTait
02-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm 99% sure its direct bolt on, but as I had a kludge job in between there might have been a point I'm not thinking of.

Its a good, straightforward product. I think most or all DMC affiliates are now selling this same unit. My understanding is that Dave Swingle set out on a mission a while back to get this one manufactured, and it worked out so well that it became the official product. Given that I ordered from Dave to A) ensure i got one of the latest and greatest not something that may have been on the shelf for a while, and B) because if he did the leg work he should get the sale.

On the other hand John does a nice job on stuff too, but the 140 wasn't for me.

T

vwdmc16
02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Ive been very happy with the saturn alternator. its worked consistently and efficiently.