PDA

View Full Version : Wanted BMW for Delorean Trade. I have a Very nice '98 BMW 740iL

AureliaZ3
02-12-2012, 02:42 AM
It has 160,000 on the clock. Its my daily driver. I would be interested in trading for a D in running or non-running condition. Has to have good body. Frame doesnt have to be perfect. Interior doesnt have to be perfect. It does have to be a 5 speed. I have a vast knowledge of these cars so they dont scare me in less than perfect condition. I am looking for a mostly complete car. Im located in Western PA. E-mail me at [email protected] If you have any interest. Thanks, Joe

Nicholas R
02-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice car, certainly a fan of the 7 series. Car sounds nice but it's pretty unlikely that a person on the DeLorean forum will want to trade their DeLorean.

Keep in mind that from a strictly monetary standpoint, Kelly Blue Book (which is not always accurate) puts the BMW around $3,200 in excellent condition. Even a $5000 DeLorean will be a MASSIVE project and wont even come close to meeting your criteria.

This thread may give you an idea of what the things youre looking for will cost:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%93I-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%94-or-%93Project-Car-Wanted%94-threads

Here's a quick excerpt from the thread:

What I want to pay vs. what is realistic

A “rule of thumb” for D’s was established years ago, and for the most part it is still applicable. “What’s the difference between a $20k and a $25k DeLorean? About $10k.”

What will you get for your money? In most cases, you will find the following true:
- $2k - $4k: A car with rot, not running, interior destroyed, sitting for years - - possibly decades… more times than most—a parts car. This car will take MAJOR $$ and time to restore
- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.
- $20k to $26k: There are a lot of D’s in this category. These are a lot of the well-known cars that spend a lot of time in a garage, have been basically rebuilt and updated, body is in excellent condition, everything works, car can be driven with confidence virtually anywhere. NICE D’s.
- $27k to $35k: This range is getting harder and harder to find as the economy has changed over the past few years. At the upper end of this range, you would expect to find things like concourse cars. When the economy was good, VERY NICE D’s were in this range, but in the past few years this has changed with the economy. The majority of nice cars you will now find in the $25k range.
- $36k+ : These are the unicorn cars. More than likely you are spending this kind of money buying a car from a vendor, or an older person who thinks the car is a Ferrari. If you are looking at a privately owned car in this category and the car has no substantial history (i.e. Right Hand Drive (RHD), Johnny Carson owned it, etc…), you can do better. Vendor cars usually have full inspections/some kind of warranty in this price range.

Please note, these are GENERALIZED figures from what we have all seen time and time again. Yes there are exceptions to the rules.

Welcome to the forum Joe and best of luck finding your DeLorean!! 8)

DeLorean
02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I have a very nice BMW 750il as my DD I would also be willing to trade for a DeLorean. If someone took the offer, I could turn around, sell the DeLo and buy about 5 reasonably nice 750il...

Make the car a nice E66 760li or a Alpina B7 and you would be more in an equal dollar for dollar ballpark.

AureliaZ3
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
of money to keep your cars running. IMO, you own two of the most expensive cars to maintain. For what your spending on these two cars you could probably own a lambo or ferrari. I have a 750 also and I HATE IT!! BMW's most overpriced peice of crap. 10 years of ownership = 75,000 in regular maintenance. I wouldnt trade a DMC for a 750 ever. But a 740 sounds more like it. :giggle:

Jimmyvonviggle
02-19-2012, 05:41 PM
of money to keep your cars running. IMO, you own two of the most expensive cars to maintain. For what your spending on these two cars you could probably own a lambo or ferrari. I have a 750 also and I HATE IT!! BMW's most overpriced peice of crap. 10 years of ownership = 75,000 in regular maintenance. I wouldnt trade a DMC for a 750 ever. But a 740 sounds more like it. :giggle:

I don't get you, you come on here saying you want to trade your 7 for a D. Then later on when our members tell you your car isn't worth much you state you would never trade a D for a 7. Then you imply that a D is a notoriously expensive car to maintain and we all should have lambos instead. Of course earlier you boast how you know these cars so well and you can easily maintain one.

Who are all these newbies coming online who don't have much etiquette. Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I should have bought a Ferrari or lambo.

DeLorean
02-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Also, the 750il is not bad at all - I have a first year car (88 ). If you take it to the dealer, daily drive it very frequently, lets say 20,000 miles a year, do minimal preventative maintenance, and also keep it for 10+ years, I could see you doing 75K in repairs in that amount of time.

I paid $2300 for mine 2 years ago, did all the typical fixes for things that are always wrong with them - which likely would have cost 5-8K at a BMW dealership and I have been driving it trouble free ever since. It's up to 190K miles now, and I anticipate it to have a 0-$1000 into it 1-2 years ahead of me.

I will however say, a 750il is NOT a car for someone that runs to the dealer at the first sign of trouble who is willing to do no repairs them-self... Neither is a DeLorean.

dn010
02-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Perhaps we need a section for trades (one for car trades and one for part trades maybe?). Anyway, good luck - I personally traded for my DeLorean 10 years ago and it wasn't easy... Especially since I'd never trade it for anything now that I have it :)

AureliaZ3
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
LET THEM!! Dont get on here and give 20 reasons why you wouldnt trade yours. I dont want yours!! I see that you have something to say every time someone posts that they would like to trade something they have for a D. Just because you have one, doesnt mean you are the world authority on all D's and whether or not someone is going to trade one. I am looking to trade a running, driving car, for a D that could need 10,000 dollars in repairs. I dont think thats a bad deal. If I had a D in a barn that needed an astrinomical amount of work, I would be willing to trade. So dont worry!! Im not after your D!! Mind your own business....I can see already how this forum will be. This is only my first post and members are already being arrogant.

thirdmanj
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
LET THEM!! Dont get on here and give 20 reasons why you wouldnt trade yours. I dont want yours!! I see that you have something to say every time someone posts that they would like to trade something they have for a D. Just because you have one, doesnt mean you are the world authority on all D's and whether or not someone is going to trade one. I am looking to trade a running, driving car, for a D that could need 10,000 dollars in repairs. I dont think thats a bad deal. If I had a D in a barn that needed an astrinomical amount of work, I would be willing to trade. So dont worry!! Im not after your D!! Mind your own business....I can see already how this forum will be. This is only my first post and members are already being arrogant.

Well yeah, it's your first post and a pretty big one at that. Forums just tend to be like this. Everyone's got an opinion and some of those people think that it's valid enough to post. Chill dude, if someone's interested they'll reach out. But many people on here are very attached to their Ds. This is a community of very passionate DeLorean owners, and the public post makes it EVERYBODY's business.

So just have some patience, cruise the boards and get to know us. I wish you luck and I hope you get what you're after.

-James

Nicholas R
03-03-2012, 01:41 AM

Interesting. I dont recall telling anyone not to trade their DeLorean. I apologize for welcoming you to the forum and trying to help by posting the pricing structure for DeLoreans while you're trying to acquire one. Once again, welcome to the forum Joe and best of luck finding your DeLorean.

P.S. Try switching to decaf.