PDA

View Full Version : Cave paintings - post your pics!

jawn101
02-12-2012, 12:39 PM
One of the things I find most amazing about our cars is the hand-built nature. Every car has its own personality. I've done some looking around the internet and have only found a few isolated owners who have posted anything about their cave paintings. I think it would be really neat to get a bunch of them in one place to compare and discuss.

I'll go first, but mine are sadly not that interesting and even difficult to read. A few numbers (38, 025061/20L) and what look like a few signatures but I can't make them out. Also the now-incorrect lock code, not pictured (was on the underside of one of the lips)

Eventually I hope to look under some of the other panels, but not until they have to come off for something repair related :)

Post your pics!

BigBenb84
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
You can draw your own conclusion on the first one...

8417 8416

Michael
02-12-2012, 01:18 PM
This was on the inside of my LFF. I found it during one of my detailing sessions.
I believe it to be a DMCH cave painting since mine was remanufactured....maybe the only documented one? Anyway, I removed it so this pic is all that remains. It's up in the air about what it read "F%^k this one", or "this DMC". The drawing itself is either a middle finger,.... or a rocket ship. :)
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8418&d=1329070587

jawn101
02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
This was on the inside of my LFF. I found it during one of my detailing sessions.
I believe it to be a DMCH cave painting since mine was remanufactured....maybe the only documented one? Anyway, I removed it so this pic is all that remains

Yikes... lol

thirdmanj
02-12-2012, 02:26 PM
You can draw your own conclusion on the first one...

8417 8416

Wow.. Kinda weird but ooook.

thirdmanj
02-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I believe it to be a DMCH cave painting since mine was remanufactured....maybe the only documented one? Anyway, I removed it so this pic is all that remains. It's up in the air about what it read "F%^k this one", or "this DMC". The drawing itself is either a middle finger,.... or a rocket ship. :)
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8418&d=1329070587

Hmmpf. Or an upside down something else?! Heh heh, they must be slave drivers at DMCH!!! People drawing stuff like that... Jeeze.

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
on my right front fender

Dangermouse
02-12-2012, 03:08 PM
on my right front fender

Ever work out what that means, Dave?

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Ever work out what that means, Dave?

Unfortunately no.

I've tried "13 Dery," "13 Deny," "13 Devy" and then "i3" derivations, even using "sexy"

It was probably an inside joke for someone down the assembly line. Perhaps there are more clues behind other panels or under my headliner which I havent checked.

jawn101
02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I love these. I wish mine were more interesting. Michael, how did you find yours without removing the panel? I wonder if there's anything to see there. I also want to look under my passenger side headliner, but don't want to break all the fir trees like I did on the driver's side. Not until I get my new headliners, anyway :)

Keep em coming!

Michael
02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Michael, how did you find yours without removing the panel? !

It was barely visible by sticking my head in the wheel well. I had the car like 2 years before I even noticed it. When detailing, I usually just wipe the inside panels down without looking very hard.

I was told the original buyer (who bought the car freshly remanufactured 2006), was a PITA for the staff.

Dangermouse
02-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately no.

I've tried "13 Dery," "13 Deny," "13 Devy" and then "i3" derivations, even using "sexy"

It was probably an inside joke for someone down the assembly line. Perhaps there are more clues behind other panels or under my headliner which I havent checked.

Well here is my theory/educated guess:

I think the "name" is actually Derry a city in the NW of NI, (called Derry by Catholics, and Londonderry by Protestants - and yes, I know that is a generalization).

In that case, the 13 could refer to the 13 unarmed Catholics killed in Derry on Bloody Sunday (Jan 30 1972), generally accepted as the pivotal turning point in the whole NI "troubles".

Had your car been a Jan 82 car, I would be much more confident in that theory, 10 year anniversary and all that.

Perhaps the writer had a relative/friend who had been involved in some way. Nevertheless, Bloody Sunday was an extremely important day in the history of the province and for the Catholic population in particular. Often memorialized in murals of the time.

One possibility any way.

outatym2001
02-12-2012, 06:45 PM
The picture below I posted to the old dmctalk.com site. I don’t remember who came up with an answer to the reason there is a candle drawing inside my left front fender.
The reason I went in there was to replace whole bracket that supports the door striker pin. I stripped the threads on the Captive Nut inside the bracket.

jawn101
02-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow, that's a cool one Mark.

Cory W
02-12-2012, 06:49 PM
The picture below I posted to the old dmctalk.com site. I don’t remember who came up with an answer to the reason there is a candle drawing inside my left front fender.
The reason I went in there was to replace whole bracket that supports the door striker pin. I stripped the threads on the Captive Nut inside the bracket.

Was that not a symbol of the Bobby Sands Hunger Strike? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands)

outatym2001
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Was that not a symbol of the Bobby Sands Hunger Strike? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands)

That's it you're right. I need to save that link for future reference. Someone in Northern Ireland or the U.K. or Europe posted the link for the answer.

jawn101
02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
That makes it even cooler. I just thought it was a neat drawing.

Jeremy Popp
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Not much....

http://www.deloreanweb.com/davy.jpg

John U
02-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I remember reading a thread about Davy....didn't someone track down who he was and where he is now????

Sidaries
02-19-2012, 12:45 PM
These are my cave drawings. The white parts are my keycode.
And I have more drawings here, but it is only a link to my blog, because those are not my drawings.
Blog (http://delorean.blog.hu/2009/06/12/a_barlangrajzok_azaz_cave_drawings_ii)

DMCH James
02-20-2012, 08:51 PM
I imagine by now that you've put your door headliners back on, but I encourage people to write their keycodes under there when the get new, re-keyed locks. Future owners, if they lose the keys, will look there first...

James

One of the things I find most amazing about our cars is the hand-built nature. Every car has its own personality. I've done some looking around the internet and have only found a few isolated owners who have posted anything about their cave paintings. I think it would be really neat to get a bunch of them in one place to compare and discuss.

I'll go first, but mine are sadly not that interesting and even difficult to read. A few numbers (38, 025061/20L) and what look like a few signatures but I can't make them out. Also the now-incorrect lock code, not pictured (was on the underside of one of the lips)

Eventually I hope to look under some of the other panels, but not until they have to come off for something repair related :)

Post your pics!

SIMid
02-20-2012, 08:58 PM
The white parts are my keycode.

Liquid paper? jk :lol:

Tillsy
06-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Here are mine :)

10759 10760

Tillsy
07-25-2012, 09:23 AM
A few more I have encountered, in particular a piece of artwork behind my RFF (not a great shot, saw a teensy bit of it exposed so forced back the weather shielding as best I could and shoved my camera in there).

12118 12116 12117

jawn101
07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
A few more I have encountered, in particular a piece of artwork behind my RFF (not a great shot, saw a teensy bit of it exposed so forced back the weather shielding as best I could and shoved my camera in there).

12118 12116 12117

Man that Davy got around. That drawing is really cool! Someone had some extra time on their hands that day. I wish I had anything half this awesome. Haven't taken off the front fenders yet so maybe a surprise is waiting there.

Shep
07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Man that Davy got around.I have a feeling the writing on the cave painting in Post #7 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3083-Cave-paintings-post-your-pics!&p=42253&viewfull=1#post42253) (with the number 13) actually says "Davy". That would make three D's out of eight so far with the name Davy written on them. Makes me wonder how many Davys there were :confused2:

I see the earliest VIN in this thread is 1495. Does anyone know what the earliest documented cave painting is? I ask because I'm going to have mine documented when I get the rear headliner replaced. I'll also see if I can spot any other cave paintings in the fenders when I visit next (wheels are off for new tires and refurbishment). But I'm curious if cave paintings started at a certain VIN or if they were there from day 1 (besides the keycodes themselves obviously). That also has me curious if any of the prototypes/pilots have cave paintings.

jawn101
07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
I have a feeling the writing on the cave painting in Post #7 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3083-Cave-paintings-post-your-pics!&p=42253&viewfull=1#post42253) (with the number 13) actually says "Davy". That would make three D's out of eight so far with the name Davy written on them. Makes me wonder how many Davys there were :confused2:

I see the earliest VIN in this thread is 1495. Does anyone know what the earliest documented cave painting is? I ask because I'm going to have mine documented when I get the rear headliner replaced. I'll also see if I can spot any other cave paintings in the fenders when I visit next (wheels are off for new tires and refurbishment). But I'm curious if cave paintings started at a certain VIN or if they were there from day 1 (besides the keycodes themselves obviously). That also has me curious if any of the prototypes/pilots have cave paintings.

You probably won't find anything under the rear headliner as these are mainly on the stainless. I did find some numbers scratched into my fiberglass underneath the LR quarter panel though - see attached. It's very unclear to me what they say, if anything.

Shep
07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
It's very unclear to me what they say, if anything.Turn it upside-down. Hard to tell the difference between ones and uppercase I's but it appears to read "111SL4/10H". Looks like a code, but I am not familiar enough with DeLorean code formatting to figure out what it's for.

DMCH James
07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Turn it upside-down. Hard to tell the difference between ones and uppercase I's but it appears to read "111SL4/10H". Looks like a code, but I am not familiar enough with DeLorean code formatting to figure out what it's for.

Based on some of the photos of the molds, the markings on the underbodies seem to match. They probably marked them as they came out of the mold in case problems were noted with the body later on in production.

James

82DMC12
10-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Here's a new one. Putting an A/C mode switch kit into 11237 (local owner). Pulled up the console and found this....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/08/ape5aza6.jpg

Interesting that by Jan 82 they were still experimenting on the line. Of course I left the paper where it is and took the pics to show the owner.

Andy

jawn101
10-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Here's a new one. Putting an A/C mode switch kit into 11237 (local owner). Pulled up the console and found this....

Interesting that by Jan 82 they were still experimenting on the line. Of course I left the paper where it is and took the pics to show the owner.

Andy

Ha! Andy, that one's awesome. Great find!

Shep
10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Interesting that by Jan 82 they were still experimenting on the line.Nice find!

Perhaps this was originally produced earlier than Jan '82, but testing didn't finish until it was ready to be given a VIN? Testing the door seal flanges, they may have been testing how well the adhesive held up the seals with prolonged exposure. This kind of thing can't really be rushed with '81 technology as far as I'm aware, so it's possible this was actually built a few months earlier.

The bigger question is why that paper was left in there as it moved through production.

82DMC12
10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't believe the car is an earlier vehicle since it has an ASI radio, only a rear antenna, AM capacitor on the air meter, other things indicates Jan82 build (the third Jan 82 I've extensively worked on). I believe they were experimenting with the production sequence. The paper is taped to the console with masking tape and says Production Engineering Trial Car Do Not Lay Up Door Seal Flange. I bet there was a step along the way dealing with the upper or lower seal flange that was causing issues with another step later on. They put the sign their to tell the worker to skip that step. Someone thought, "this will be cool for someone to find in 30 years" so they put the console cover on over it. Pretty cool i think.

Shep
10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I bet there was a step along the way dealing with the upper or lower seal flange that was causing issues with another step later on. They put the sign their to tell the worker to skip that step.Or the more logical explanation. That works too.

ed uding
10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
During a repair we did fount this one on the back of the a/c fascia.

Ed
www.delorean.eu

jawn101
10-10-2012, 01:38 PM
During a repair we did fount this one on the back of the a/c fascia.

Ed
www.delorean.eu

Well now that we know where to find him, I say we go ask Davy why he was writing all over our cars :lol:

Dangermouse
10-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Awesome :)

ed uding
10-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Ed
www.delorean.eu

DMCH James
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Ah yes, I remember that from the old DMCTalk site - I think Nick Sutton located the guy but I never heard any more after that...

James

82DMC12
10-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe Davy was trolling for hot chicks who drive DeLoreans back in the day. Kind of like, "For a good time, call......."

Andy

Dangermouse
10-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Maybe more like : if found, please return to ......

nick sutton
10-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Ah yes, I remember that from the old DMCTalk site - I think Nick Sutton located the guy but I never heard any more after that...

James

I found Davy earlier this year via the difficult route his short wave handle . I work with someone who is a short wave nut and he founf him. I could have taken the easier route because he still lives at the same address he wrote on the ashtray.

I spoke to him on the phone and he was a bit non plussed about the interest. I asked him to get in touch again but he didn't.

Nick

sdg3205
10-13-2012, 06:34 PM
I found Davy earlier this year via the difficult route his short wave handle . I work with someone who is a short wave nut and he founf him. I could have taken the easier route because he still lives at the same address he wrote on the ashtray.

I spoke to him on the phone and he was a bit non plussed about the interest. I asked him to get in touch again but he didn't.

Nick

Weird. His incessant tagging would lead you to believe the opposite.

Shep
10-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Weird. His incessant tagging would lead you to believe the opposite.I'd imagine it's one of those "fun while it lasted' kind of deals, but once DMC collapsed, there went his job. He probably had a blast working there, but now is bitter that the fun ended prematurely. Can't say I blame him.

Tillsy
10-14-2012, 07:38 AM
I'd imagine it's one of those "fun while it lasted' kind of deals, but once DMC collapsed, there went his job. He probably had a blast working there, but now is bitter that the fun ended prematurely. Can't say I blame him.

I think you are very likely right. What a shame though - I would love to tell him how much I appreciate the artistry I discovered he had done on my baby 30 years later :)

Dangermouse
10-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, send him a letter. You have the address. He might just get a kick out of a letter from Australia.

Mark D
10-16-2012, 01:45 AM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14113&d=1350366130
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14114&d=1350366259

jawn101
10-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Wow, I never get tired of these. And mine are soooooo boring, lol

Shep
10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
14113Wow, quite an art piece you have there! I see a stylized "Perry" just to the right of the "959", "OK" logo (OK Corral? It did happen almost exactly 100 years prior, on October 26, 1881), "Number 6", "AB∀", and a graffiti-like "Blice" just left of the "29". Perhaps this door was worked on by Perry and/or Blice?

Dangermouse
10-17-2012, 07:59 AM
FWIW, It's Gerry, not Perry. (short for Gerard); and I think he signs his name "Gerry OK", as in "Gerry was 'ere OK"

No. 6, who knows? His favorite cigarette (Players No. 6); His number on the local football/soccer team?

Looks like Blic's rather than Blice, but neither one makes a lot of sense.

Mark D
10-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Yeah I always thought it was Gerry when I looked at it.

I'm not sure if it's Blice or Blic's. The more I look at it I think it's Blice...with an upper case bubble E at the end.

DMCH James
10-27-2012, 07:00 PM
A few weeks ago on Jalopnik there was this story about a mom in Russia who wanted to get a DeLorean to show up for her son's birthday party.

http://jalopnik.com/5950994/delorean-to-help-mom-throw-amazing-back-to-the-future-birthday-party

I sent along a small package of some things for his birthday, including a back issue of "deloreans" magazine which talked about things written under the headliners. The mom took this photo of the cave paintings on one of the cars that showed up for the party today...pretty cool, on all points.

James

OverlandMan
10-28-2012, 11:19 PM
A few weeks ago on Jalopnik there was this story about a mom in Russia who wanted to get a DeLorean to show up for her son's birthday party.

http://jalopnik.com/5950994/delorean-to-help-mom-throw-amazing-back-to-the-future-birthday-party

I sent along a small package of some things for his birthday, including a back issue of "deloreans" magazine which talked about things written under the headliners. The mom took this photo of the cave paintings on one of the cars that showed up for the party today...pretty cool, on all points.

James

Pretty cool story and really neat cave paintings. I like the Halloween date and time stamp along with the "cheeseburger elvis" profile drawings, both of which appear to be enjoying a cancer stick. Seems fitting for a Halloween build! Thanks for sharing James.

Dangermouse
10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Holy sh$t - Elvis signed his car !!!! (though it looks like Elmo in the left one :) ) So he was alive and well and building DeLoreans in Belfast in 1981.

Shep
10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Holy sh$t - Elvis signed his car !!!! (though it looks like Elmo in the left one :) ) So he was alive and well and building DeLoreans in Belfast in 1981.Well, as it says, "Rock 'n' Roll is hear to stay". Evidently he's been in Ireland this whole time, and still likes a good pun. ;)

In all seriousness, it's dated October 31, 1981 ("Oct 31 81" is written upside-down on the bottom). Looks like a Halloween gag.

EDIT: How easy is it to remove and replace the door headliner just to see what's under it? Is there any glue involved, or are pop rivets (a.k.a "fir trees" by DMCH) all that holds it in? I'm curious what's under mine now.

refugeefromcalif
10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
How easy is it to remove and replace the door headliner just to see what's under it? Is there any glue involved, or are pop rivets (a.k.a "fir trees" by DMCH) all that holds it in? I'm curious what's under mine now.

I've started wondering the same thing myself.

Is there anything posted, (Search isn't helping me right now), that tells if certain time frames during production, (might have), had some *Extra* artwork applied under headliners and such?

George

Dangermouse
10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't think it is specifically a Halloween gag. Partially because Halloween wasn't a big holiday back in the 80's, certainly not like it is today.

But mainly because of the reference to the A-Town Teds Rule OK - Teds being from the '50s 'Teddy Boys' playing good old fashioned R 'n' R like Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc. I'm not sure if the term 'Teds' was reflected in US culture, but the were a subculture there along side Punks, Mods, Rockers, etc.

Your panel just pulls off, btw, using something similar to fit trees. Don't get too hopeful though, many just have numbers, but pull it off and post what you find.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Dangermouse
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
I've started wondering the same thing myself.

Is there anything posted, (Search isn't helping me right now), that tells if certain time frames during production, (might have), had some *Extra* artwork applied under headliners and such?

George

Seems to be totally random whether there is artwork or not. Mine just has numbers and production stickers. Maybe it is tied into Sharpie deliveries in the stationary cupboard :)

Go on! Have a peak ;) you know you want to.

Shep
10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Your panel just pulls off, btw, using something similar to fit trees. Don't get too hopeful though, many just have numbers, but pull it off and post what you find.I thought it did. I saw the telltale female connections in the picture James posted above, and it got me curious. Good to know; should be a piece of cake with the trim panel removal kit I got off of Amazon a year ago. Hopefully I don't break too many of them.

Thanks for the info! :)

SamHill
11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Excuse the introduction of stuff you already know, I posted it on fazebuk earlier today for those that don't.

This was an "unboxing" video of sorts, although one that was sealed for 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fpSQkGNSiM

Any help with the hieroglyphics? I understand from looking it up that "Metal Mickey" was a ref to the early 80s kids show on the bbc. Has he ever been positively identified? I'd send him a thank you.

Shep
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Excuse the introduction of stuff you already know, I posted it on fazebuk earlier today for those that don't.

This was an "unboxing" video of sorts, although one that was sealed for 30 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fpSQkGNSiM

Any help with the hieroglyphics? I understand from looking it up that "Metal Mickey" was a ref to the early 80s kids show on the bbc. Has he ever been positively identified? I'd send him a thank you.The only legible English I see is "Metal Mickey" as you stated. Besides the VIN and the key code, the rest look like some form of identification or factory shorthand (e.g. "s/n" is an abbreviation, perhaps of "serial number").

SamHill
11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
The only legible English I see is "Metal Mickey" as you stated. Besides the VIN and the key code, the rest look like some form of identification or factory shorthand (e.g. "s/n" is an abbreviation, perhaps of "serial number").

The key code is the red?

Shep
11-06-2012, 06:36 PM
The key code is the red?No, the key code is on the bottom-right corner. See Post #20 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3083-Cave-paintings-post-your-pics!&p=43062&viewfull=1#post43062) for pictures of the location (white areas).

Dangermouse
11-07-2012, 08:58 AM
The squiggle at the end of the video looks like the number 2, as in Metal Mickey 2. But having two guys with the same nickname on the door line seems unlikely. Perhaps MM numbered the doors that he wrote on?

s/n could also be N/S (upside down) used as an abreviation for "Non-Stock" when taking Inventory/Stock

Do you have a brighter picture you can post?

SamHill
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
The squiggle at the end of the video looks like the number 2, as in Metal Mickey 2. But having two guys with the same nickname on the door line seems unlikely. Perhaps MM numbered the doors that he wrote on?

s/n could also be N/S (upside down) used as an abreviation for "Non-Stock" when taking Inventory/Stock

Do you have a brighter picture you can post?

No... I will snap one in a few weeks when I'm back home.

Shep
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
The squiggle at the end of the video looks like the number 2, as in Metal Mickey 2. But having two guys with the same nickname on the door line seems unlikely. Perhaps MM numbered the doors that he wrote on?I was thinking the number 2 was completely unrelated to the Metal Mickey reference. I have not heard of another D with the phrase "Metal Mickey" written underneath the headliner other than VIN 11114 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4603-Vin-11114-cave-paintings), and I would think more doors would have turned up with "Metal Mickey" written on them if this were the case.

Sam, how close is your VIN to 11114? I couldn't make it out in the video you posted, but perhaps the proximity of your D to VIN 11114 on the line would give us a clue as to its meaning -- if it's close, it may be the same guy, but if it's far apart, it may be two entirely unrelated incidences.

SamHill
11-07-2012, 06:06 PM
I was thinking the number 2 was completely unrelated to the Metal Mickey reference. I have not heard of another D with the phrase "Metal Mickey" written underneath the headliner other than VIN 11114 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4603-Vin-11114-cave-paintings), and I would think more doors would have turned up with "Metal Mickey" written on them if this were the case.

Sam, how close is your VIN to 11114? I couldn't make it out in the video you posted, but perhaps the proximity of your D to VIN 11114 on the line would give us a clue as to its meaning -- if it's close, it may be the same guy, but if it's far apart, it may be two entirely unrelated incidences.

I'm 7041, November (height of production, of course.) But as cars could be shoved aside for a problem or two, particularly with doors, I would think nothing's out of the question. Could do for some easy handwriting analysis once I get a decent photo

Dangermouse
11-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I already tried that, and they are close but not exact. Looks close enough to me to be the same guy.

Shep
11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm 7041, November (height of production, of course.) But as cars could be shoved aside for a problem or two, particularly with doors, I would think nothing's out of the question. Could do for some easy handwriting analysis once I get a decent photo
I already tried that, and they are close but not exact. Looks close enough to me to be the same guy.Now the mystery deepens. It looks like the same guy to me as well (the cursive is very distinct), but with one model year and 1,272 VIN's (accounting for the shift in the '82 model year VIN's) difference. Here's the weird part: it's the earlier D that has a "2" at the end, but the later D that is void of any numeric suffix, which is the opposite of what I would have expected. Perhaps there's some D's in between that he also wrote "Metal Mickey" on, but at some point between these two omitted the number. (Maybe he lost count?)

Or the "2" could be entirely unrelated, like his second day on the job or something, what with November being the peak production month and all.

Shep
12-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Finally have something to contribute to this thread. This is the cave painting for VIN 559's passenger door:

http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/resized/rightdoor_closeup_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/rightdoor_closeup.jpg)
(click for bigger size)

Transcribed:
Day/s

These are very, very basic markings with no VIN number attached, which based on the rest of this thread indicates that this particular door has been replaced. I'm not quite sure what it means, but I should be able to confirm this when I pull the driver's door headliner off.

cybercusp
12-23-2012, 10:02 AM

I don't know if this counts as a cave painting or not. Someone etched the name "Nelson" into the holding bracket for my cubby lock. I'm guessing it wasn't Derek or the original owner.

DMCH James
12-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Based on just this photo, it has "the look" of a later door. One of the signs (to me) is the metal clips helping to hold the fixed glass in place. Those came along MUCH later in production.

The color of the stainless is also "shinier" than that typically seen on early doors. Be interesting to see what you find on the driver's side.

James

Finally have something to contribute to this thread. This is the cave painting for VIN 559's passenger door:

http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/resized/rightdoor_closeup_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/rightdoor_closeup.jpg)
(click for bigger size)

Transcribed:
Day/s

These are very, very basic markings with no VIN number attached, which based on the rest of this thread indicates that this particular door has been replaced. I'm not quite sure what it means, but I should be able to confirm this when I pull the driver's door headliner off.

Shep
12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Based on just this photo, it has "the look" of a later door. One of the signs (to me) is the metal clips helping to hold the fixed glass in place. Those came along MUCH later in production.

The color of the stainless is also "shinier" than that typically seen on early doors. Be interesting to see what you find on the driver's side.This is part of what leads me to believe that the passenger door has been entirely replaced. Talking with other early-VIN owners, the welding style is also from later on in production. The driver's door by all indications appears to be the original door however -- weld patterns are correct, as are glass markings and some other stuff I'm forgetting. I'll have to check the driver's side to see what's under there; I suspect it'll have much more underneath it than the passenger side does.

The shinier part may have been my use of the camera flash though. It was indoors, but not well lit, so the cave painting came out blurry without it.

Patrick C
12-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Does the driver door still have a very narrow notch cut where the door latches are, or is it a wider V shape like the passenger door latch area? Lots of the 500 cars had extremely narrow notches which made door latch positioning/door closing more difficult.

LEVY
12-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Does the driver door still have a very narrow notch cut where the door latches are, or is it a wider V shape like the passenger door latch area? Lots of the 500 cars had extremely narrow notches which made door latch positioning/door closing more difficult.

The driver side door is not the correct one either, unless it was modified.

LEVY

Shep
12-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Does the driver door still have a very narrow notch cut where the door latches are, or is it a wider V shape like the passenger door latch area? Lots of the 500 cars had extremely narrow notches which made door latch positioning/door closing more difficult.It's supposed to be narrow, but the original owner cut it wider after having trouble closing the door. I have a receipt for overnight delivery of a key from one of the DMC shops, and from memory, I believe there are other service receipts indicating similar work with the locking mechanism.

There's actually a difference in the notches. The passenger notch is perfectly triangular, whereas the driver's side has a triangular section cut out of it, with a narrow section partially remaining. Hard to describe, but you can see the difference here:

http:///vin559.com/images/work_done/struts/notches.jpg

Notice how the one on the left (driver's side) looks kind of like the Apollo 12 module (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_12#Spacecraft_location), whereas the one on the right (passenger side) looks like a rounded triangle. The triangle is shorter on the left side, leaving a bit of the narrow notch remaining.

Mike F
01-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Here's what I found on my LH door...

I have no idea what happened on August 13, 2002 nor do I know who or what W.P. is. There is nothing that happened on or around that date in the records I received from the PO. As far as the other numbers are concerned, it seems to be the "typical" door cave art type of number:

130801/20L

Is this a stamping sequence number or something?

Ryan King
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM

I have no idea what happened on August 13, 2002 nor do I know who or what W.P. is. There is nothing that happened on or around that date in the records I received from the PO. As far as the other numbers are concerned, it seems to be the "typical" door cave art type of number:

130801/20L

Is this a stamping sequence number or something?

If im not mistaken, that *should* be your Key Code for your Ignition. Probably shouldn't openly post that!

jawn101
01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
If im not mistaken, that *should* be your Key Code for your Ignition. Probably shouldn't openly post that!

Nah, that's not the key code. That would be in a format like WR######

Mike F
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Yeah, aren't the key codes written on the doors usually written on the upper (or lower, depending on your point of reference) raised portion and normally 4-digits?

Shep
01-01-2013, 11:20 PM

I have no idea what happened on August 13, 2002 nor do I know who or what W.P. is.Considering that's your driver's door and nothing unique to your VIN is there (e.g. "V2861" in one of the bottom corners), that door has almost certainly been replaced. I suspect that it was made available, shipped, handled, or installed on August 13, 2002. "W.P." might be the initials of the individual who wrote that, or some acronym of what kind of date is written there.

Perhaps DMCH James would know more about this one; I'm 99% positive the door came from the DMCH warehouse within the past 11 years.

EDIT: By the way, I would, for future reference, write down the key code under the headliner while you have it off. That will be the first place you or a future owner will look for it, so it never hurts to have it there.

DMCH James
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
It's supposed to be narrow, but the original owner cut it wider after having trouble closing the door. I have a receipt for overnight delivery of a key from one of the DMC shops, and from memory, I believe there are other service receipts indicating similar work with the locking mechanism.

There's actually a difference in the notches. The passenger notch is perfectly triangular, whereas the driver's side has a triangular section cut out of it, with a narrow section partially remaining. Hard to describe, but you can see the difference here:

http:///vin559.com/images/work_done/struts/notches.jpg

Notice how the one on the left (driver's side) looks kind of like the Apollo 12 module (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_12#Spacecraft_location), whereas the one on the right (passenger side) looks like a rounded triangle. The triangle is shorter on the left side, leaving a bit of the narrow notch remaining.

The driver's door is an "early" door - the notches were cut so it would have area for the striker to "land". The door guides were added to help, as well.

Key codes are almost always in one of these two formats:

Early doors = WR5XXX or WR3XXX (only super early cars)
Late doors and ignitions = K7XXX

Yeah, aren't the key codes written on the doors usually written on the upper (or lower, depending on your point of reference) raised portion and normally 4-digits?

Key codes and VIN's on doors are typically only found on cars with the "one key" system, since the doors HAD to match the car they were going to be fitted on. Early doors with different locks could be fitted to any car since they didn't need to match.

Considering that's your driver's door and nothing unique to your VIN is there (e.g. "V2861" in one of the bottom corners), that door has almost certainly been replaced. I suspect that it was made available, shipped, handled, or installed on August 13, 2002. "W.P." might be the initials of the individual who wrote that, or some acronym of what kind of date is written there.

Perhaps DMCH James would know more about this one; I'm 99% positive the door came from the DMCH warehouse within the past 11 years.

EDIT: By the way, I would, for future reference, write down the key code under the headliner while you have it off. That will be the first place you or a future owner will look for it, so it never hurts to have it there.

Though I'd agree it's likely the door was replaced, I'd want to see the other door (as well as some more pictures of both and know the VIN of the car) before I'd say it was a replacement door or not. As I mentioned, a number of the early cars have no VIN or door key code written on them.

I'd heartily agree that if you have your headliners off at any time, and the key code is NOT written on it, writing it on there will be a big help to you or a future owner down the road. If you don't know your key code, I can usually decode the ignition keys from a good close-up photo like the one shown here.

And for more on this subject, the "knowledgebase" article here is a good reference: https://support.delorean.com/KB/a9/delorean-keys-and-locks.aspx

jawn101
01-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I'd heartily agree that if you have your headliners off at any time, and the key code is NOT written on it, writing it on there will be a big help to you or a future owner down the road. If you don't know your key code, I can usually decode the ignition keys from a good close-up photo like the one shown here.

And for more on this subject, the "knowledgebase" article here is a good reference: https://support.delorean.com/KB/a9/delorean-keys-and-locks.aspx

+1. James kindly and quickly decoded my key code from my key photo for me when it was determined that someone had done something fancy to the ignition cylinder to make the early door keys fit it. The key code under my headliner was totally inaccurate to what was actually going on.

Edit: or was it that the other locks had been changed to match the ignition? I can't remember. But I was using one key, the square non-lighted kind, for every lock. Doors, ignition, cubby, gas cap. And none of them matched the code on the door :)

Mike F
01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Though I'd agree it's likely the door was replaced, I'd want to see the other door (as well as some more pictures of both and know the VIN of the car) before I'd say it was a replacement door or not. As I mentioned, a number of the early cars have no VIN or door key code written on them.

Okay, so my interest is extremely piqued now (as if it wasn't before!). I pulled my RH headliner off when I got home from work today, revealing...

Same Aug 13, but this one says 06 instead of 02. The mysterious W.P. appears again (with it and the "date" in completely different handwriting), along with an exact match of the numbers on the left door (save for an "R" instead of an "L"). Again, no key code (mine's a two-key anyway). With the numbers matching like this, it's unlikely the doors have been replaced...? Also, given what history I have on the car and the discussions with the PO when I bought it, I have no reason to suspect these doors aren't original. I'm dying to know what the "Aug 13" stuff means. I assumed they would read as a date (Month, day, year), but with an 02 on one side and an 06 on the other perhaps they signify something else.

Anyone care to speculate what the "dates" may mean? James, perhaps?

Shep
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Okay, so my interest is extremely piqued now (as if it wasn't before!). I pulled my RH headliner off when I got home from work today, revealing...

Same Aug 13, but this one says 06 instead of 02. The mysterious W.P. appears again (with it and the "date" in completely different handwriting), along with an exact match of the numbers on the left door (save for an "R" instead of an "L"). Again, no key code (mine's a two-key anyway). With the numbers matching like this, it's unlikely the doors have been replaced...? Also, given what history I have on the car and the discussions with the PO when I bought it, I have no reason to suspect these doors aren't original. I'm dying to know what the "Aug 13" stuff means. I assumed they would read as a date (Month, day, year), but with an 02 on one side and an 06 on the other perhaps they signify something else.

Anyone care to speculate what the "dates" may mean? James, perhaps?Interesting development. I stand corrected, those doors do not appear to have been replaced.

Looking at the VIN Chronology (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1594-VIN-Chronology) thread (which, admittedly, I should have done before), your VIN appears to be an August '81 build (VIN range 2533 to 3509), which you can verify by looking at the VIN plate on the driver's door jamb. Judging by your VIN's position in that range, I suspect your doors were constructed on August 13th of '81. Not sure what the "02" and "06" mean, but the other set of numbers/letters I believe are a sort of serial number given to the doors so the locks would match up correctly. As far as I know, that serial number does not correlate with any specific key code, but rather it was created purely to ensure each VIN got a set of doors with matching locks. It may have been recorded somewhere, but since you don't have the key code listed, I would strongly recommend using the "macro" function (the flower icon usually) on your camera to take a close-up picture of the key with the flash, then email it to DMCH James. (By the way, his email is here (http://www.dmchelp.com/forum.php#forum21), under the "deloreans magazine" section. Starts with "James" ;) )

Ryan King
01-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I just went out and pulled my headliners off. Nothing too interesting. Just a series of numbers on each door, much like what everyone has here. But on my Passenger door there was written "12/11". Kinda weird since my car is a September '81 build. So why would the door be labeled as December?

Dangermouse
01-04-2013, 12:36 AM
In European date format that would actually be November, but that still doesn't make sense.

Shep
01-15-2013, 11:03 PM
I believe we have a first here gentlemen. Came across this one underneath my T-panel:

http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/resized/tpanel_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/tpanel.jpg)

Transcribed:
4 SALE

I believe this one originates from its Chestnut Fleet Rentals days. Since it was an unused company car and was pretty much sitting and gathering dust, DMC decided to cannibalize it for parts to use in other DeLoreans. Doing some very rough math, it appears the cost of all the missing parts comes close to the cost the original owner paid for it, and perhaps even exceeds that number. Considering the passenger door was scavenged, I suspect the T-panel was scavenged as well, although I have no way to verify this. However, as seen by the duct tape residue on the left, someone has been under there before, and it's not the first place where duct tape was found. I believe this was written by a CFR employee as a joke about how they would pretty much get zero return on investment if they fixed it up and sold it. However, CFR decided to fix it up anyways, and as part of doing that, a new T-panel was added and blended to match the doors, covering this cave painting up until it was uncovered this past Sunday.

Why three cents is beyond me, but it's definitely US currency that's referenced here, so I have every reason to believe it was NOT added by an Irish factory worker, and was instead added by someone based in the US. Ireland used the Irish Pound until 2002, with designations identical to the still-used GBP, none of which includes "¢". It's only been in two countries, so it's definitely US cents that are referenced here. Perhaps the number three was purely arbitrary, or is some obscure reference that I'm not familiar with. In any case, CFR appears to be the most logical explanation.

Dangermouse
01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Shep,

The factory is in Northern Ireland which did (in 1981) and still does use the GBP system.

Workers there would never have used the Irish Pound/Punt except when on vacation in the Republic.

So, yes, the cent would have been added once the car was stateside.

Shep
01-16-2013, 11:28 PM
The factory is in Northern Ireland which did (in 1981) and still does use the GBP system.Close enough :tongue:

Small correction: it looks like one of the QACs both removed the T-panel for the recall and wrote that in wax pencil, acting as a middle-man between DMC and CFR. Same motive, but different parties. Another correction: it was a roll of duct tape underneath the T-panel acting as a shim that indicated it was taken off, not duct tape residue.

Dangermouse
01-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Close enough :tongue:

Mmmmmm. Yes, the people of Belfast at the time were well known for their relaxed views on nationalities :)

Still are.

Shep
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Mmmmmm. Yes, the people of Belfast at the time were well known for their relaxed views on nationalities :)

Still are.The terms are the same for both currencies...

Shep
03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I finally took my driver's door headliner off:

http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/resized/leftdoor_incontext_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/leftdoor_incontext.jpg)

Closer look:
http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/resized/leftdoor_closeup_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/leftdoor_closeup.jpg)

Smudges on the right, but absolutely nothing else on the door. No ink, no stickers, just dust and production scratches. I guess you can say I finally experienced my first virgin cave! ;)

sdg3205
03-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I guess you can say I finally experienced my first virgin cave! ;)

Bazzinga!

DMCH James
03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
This car is early enough that it may before they were writing much on the doors - but typically at least the key code is on there. That "ridge" I've marked in the attachment that is not really visible in your photos is where we typically see it.

Finally, early in production (per SSI) the doors were built on the same line as the cars they were intended for - only when it was discovered how much long the doors took did they get their own line. Maybe if there aren't any key codes, that's why...

James

Dangermouse
03-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Well that, or Josh was busy with the Mr Clean eraser pad :)

Shep
03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
This car is early enough that it may before they were writing much on the doors - but typically at least the key code is on there. That "ridge" I've marked in the attachment that is not really visible in your photos is where we typically see it.

Finally, early in production (per SSI) the doors were built on the same line as the cars they were intended for - only when it was discovered how much long the doors took did they get their own line. Maybe if there aren't any key codes, that's why...

JamesI took a look at that ridge, and there's nothing there, either on the outside of the ridge or in the gap between that and the outer panel. It's pretty much identical to the ridge in the bottom of the picture.

I should mention that due to the passenger door being outright replaced, I no longer have a two-key system and instead have a one-key system. so a key code would be relatively useless. Although contrary to the knowledgebase article (http://support.delorean.com/KB/a9/delorean-keys-and-locks.aspx), my locking gas cap key is a one-sided key, and the ignition key does not even fit in the slot. My storage compartment door is keyed to the ignition. By all indications it is an original gas cap, and it assembles the same exact way with the same exact parts.

Well that, or Josh was busy with the Mr Clean eraser pad :):hihi2:

OverlandMan
03-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Drank a few beers last night and pulled the driver side off mine. 17339

2 things stood out to me here. 1. The VIN # on the door does not match my car. The door says 5209. My car is 5482. Not sure if that's normal. 2. One of the workers wrote "Bay City Rollers", the Scottish pop band from the 70s & 80s.

Maybe next weekend I'll pull off the passenger side...

LordFly
03-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Nothing to exciting under 17082. A little bit of numbering, but nothing fun like I was hoping. I guess maybe spirits were not as high this close to the end of production.

Shep
03-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Nothing to exciting under 17082. A little bit of numbering, but nothing fun like I was hoping. I guess maybe spirits were not as high this close to the end of production.

1762617627Looks like your original VIN was 12082, prior to its rebranding as an '83 (top-left of the passenger door, written upside-down, is "V12082"). I'm betting you have your dash VIN plate glued on over the old one as well.

DMCH James
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Although contrary to the knowledgebase article (http://support.delorean.com/KB/a9/delorean-keys-and-locks.aspx), my locking gas cap key is a one-sided key, and the ignition key does not even fit in the slot. My storage compartment door is keyed to the ignition. By all indications it is an original gas cap, and it assembles the same exact way with the same exact parts.

:hihi2:

Presuming that it is a factory locking gas cap, and you have a key that fits it, it's certainly different internally than the gas caps used on any other gas caps I have ever seen. Email or post up some pics of the gas cap and key - I'm interested.

James

LordFly
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Looks like your original VIN was 12082, prior to its rebranding as an '83 (top-left of the passenger door, written upside-down, is "V12082"). I'm betting you have your dash VIN plate glued on over the old one as well.

Yes, all 83s got a 5000 bump in the VIN (if I'm not mistaken). And yes dash VIN is glued on. Apparently it was too much work to remove and replace the windshield just for a VIN plate ;)

Shep
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Presuming that it is a factory locking gas cap, and you have a key that fits it, it's certainly different internally than the gas caps used on any other gas caps I have ever seen. Email or post up some pics of the gas cap and key - I'm interested.

JamesHere you go, click for full size:

Assembled:
http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/Resized/GasCap01_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/GasCap01.jpg)

Disassembled (ignore the unused rivet next to the pin, that's there to get the pin out):
http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/Resized/GasCap02_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/GasCap02.jpg)

Closeup of the lock with the key inserted:
http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/Resized/GasCap03_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/GasCap03.jpg)

Closeup of the lock with key removed and visible on the left:
http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/Resized/GasCap04_640.jpg (http://vin559.com/images/Work_Done/Gas_Cap/GasCap04.jpg)

This was before I used brake cleaner on the lock, since the tumblers were mostly seized. Now they all move quite freely. Let me know if you need more pictures, it's sitting in a box until I can get it re-keyed to the ignition key, so I can take some more tonight :)

DMCH James
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
That's definitely the same style gas cap used on regular DeLorean cars. But that key would *never* work in it. See how some of the wafers are sticking out of the cylinder with the key inserted? Presuming the part of the gas cap that cylinder slides into is intact, those raised wafers would prevent it from turning. The wafers at the top and bottom of the cylinder in that photo are moved up or down based on the cuts in the key. That's why it requires a two-sided key. And with no key in it at all, all the wafers should be sticking out a little bit as they (should) have tiny little springs under them to make them pop up with no key inserted - this prevents the cylinder from moving.

If you ignition key doesn't fit at all - it's jammed up with something. Unless it's been monkeyed around with inside, a standard DeLorean ignition key should slide right in - might not turn, but should insert easily.

James

Shep
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
That's definitely the same style gas cap used on regular DeLorean cars. But that key would *never* work in it. See how some of the wafers are sticking out of the cylinder with the key inserted? Presuming the part of the gas cap that cylinder slides into is intact, those raised wafers would prevent it from turning. The wafers at the top and bottom of the cylinder in that photo are moved up or down based on the cuts in the key. That's why it requires a two-sided key. And with no key in it at all, all the wafers should be sticking out a little bit as they (should) have tiny little springs under them to make them pop up with no key inserted - this prevents the cylinder from moving.

If you ignition key doesn't fit at all - it's jammed up with something. Unless it's been monkeyed around with inside, a standard DeLorean ignition key should slide right in - might not turn, but should insert easily.

JamesThat was before I used brake cleaner on the cylinder. All the pins were seized due to dried up grease, hence them being in the same position with and without the key. The locking part didn't and still doesn't work, so effectively the gas cap could be removed by hand with no key at all. I believe the one-sided key pulls all the wafers almost into place when inserted, regardless if on top or on bottom. I don't quite remember, but I think it was just the one wafer that spanned both sides for even grip. I just checked, and the one-sided key inserts fully one way, but does not go past a certain point flipped around, and I can't get an ignition key more than halfway in. I'm still having problems getting anything to work, and now I can't seem to remove the pin at all, so I can't pull it out and check again until I can figure out how to remove it.

DMCflux
03-28-2013, 12:48 AM
I took some pics of my cave art before installing my new door headliners

ALAN 13 ???

THVGJP
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Heres mine from 5725
Glen

Dangermouse
04-10-2013, 04:26 PM
haha

your doors are date-stamped :)

THVGJP
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
haha

your doors are date-stamped :) But not marked with a key code

skipwater
05-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think this ranks as a cave painting but I have DMC-35 written under the rear license plate area.
Has any one seen something like this before? Was it used for shipping or the dealer added for inventory?

Skip

sdg3205
05-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Newly found under 2510

jawn101
05-28-2013, 12:47 PM

Newly found under 2510

Wow, that's a cool one :)

sdg3205
05-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Wow, that's a cool one :)

Yeah. I can tell they rushed the car!

Shep
05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Found this underneath the upper trim panel on my passenger door, which was replaced with a NOS one back in '82 or '83.

http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/resized/rightdoor_undertrim_640.jpg
[link to full size here (http://vin559.com/images/cave_paintings/rightdoor_undertrim.jpg)]

A sideways sharpied "B". I have no idea what it means. I thought it may have been like a "Side B" kind of thing, but considering when it was made, who at the factory couldn't tell the doors apart? Seems to be the same handwriting as under the headliner (in Post #70 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3083-Cave-paintings-post-your-pics!&p=85138&viewfull=1#post85138))

Conundrum
06-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

chris williams
06-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Vin# 15768 Door cave Paintings:

Chris

ALEXAKOS
06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delorean/null_zps5e60bf19.jpg
Vin5992 right door

OverlandMan
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
AlexAkos - interesting weld there on the inside of your door. Maybe a repair done by a PO??

ALEXAKOS
06-20-2013, 04:03 PM
tell me about it!!!!!

Its done on BOTH ends!
They cut it to knock the roof back into place and then welded it together....:bash:

That door will be trouble:*(

krs09
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Vin 4870 20107

LordFly
06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Found these in my passenger door just the other day. Nothing amazing, but it's cool to see dated stuff :)

MML
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Found this in my driver side door... wonder who R.C. is?

http://i.imgur.com/ClimqU4.jpg

ALEXAKOS
07-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Driver Door
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00027_zpscca77a7b.jpg

and.. some cute fishes on the inside of the rear bumper

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00024_zpse483c043.jpg

Dangermouse
07-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Driver Door

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00024_zpse483c043.jpg

Now THAT'S a first !!!

jawn101
07-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Now THAT'S a first !!!

Agreed, too cool :)

JohnZ
07-07-2013, 09:53 AM
What I like the most about those fishes is... the eye! I wonder who is that mad drawer that did that pictures starting from the nuts!

DMCH James
07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Driver Door

Not really a drawing - someone cut out the thin plastic covering to make the design.

We had one here that was done similarly but had the name "TONY" cut in to it. I'll see if I can find the photo.

ALEXAKOS
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Not really a drawing - someone cut out the thin plastic covering to make the design.

We had one here that was done similarly but had the name "TONY" cut in to it. I'll see if I can find the photo.

Yes James, that was mentioned in my restoration thread;)
Did Tony leave a phone number?:worship:

Josh
07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Now the mystery deepens. It looks like the same guy to me as well (the cursive is very distinct), but with one model year and 1,272 VIN's (accounting for the shift in the '82 model year VIN's) difference. Here's the weird part: it's the earlier D that has a "2" at the end, but the later D that is void of any numeric suffix, which is the opposite of what I would have expected. Perhaps there's some D's in between that he also wrote "Metal Mickey" on, but at some point between these two omitted the number. (Maybe he lost count?)

Or the "2" could be entirely unrelated, like his second day on the job or something, what with November being the peak production month and all.

11408's door has "Metal Mikey" written on it. Pics later!

Dangermouse
07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
11408's door has "Metal Mikey" written on it. Pics later!

LOL

The infamous Metal Mickey strikes again. That's at least 3 cars he's autographed.

DeLorean937
07-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Just started work to 3943 and found these paintings.

-Robert

dvonk
07-10-2013, 12:37 PM
looks like they were working the night shift...

Dangermouse
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Took them 17 hours after putting on one door, to get the other on :)

Wonder what 110901 means. It is almost a part number, but not one that appears on the DMCH parts list. Part number for a complete door assembly?

ALEXAKOS
07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Took them 17 hours after putting on one door, to get the other on :)

Wonder what 110901 means. It is almost a part number, but not one that appears on the DMCH parts list. Part number for a complete door assembly?

Uhhmmmm
European date ddmmyy
9-1-1
September 11th, 2001
Freaky no?

nick sutton
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Its the date. 11 Sept 01. Correct the stainless steel assy was assembled in the night shift in the body shop which worked 24 hours Monday to Friday. Part number 110901 does exist it was initiated late January 1982 but relates to one of the trial colour carpets.
Nick

Dangermouse
07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Eh?

with all due respect, it can't be the date. Yes, 110901 would be Sept 11, 2001 but as the car was assembled in 1981........ (insert time travel joke here)

I am talking about the R.T.110901/7R and R.T.110901/7L

Looking in Alex's pictures, his say O201101/3L. And the text date is Nov 1.

Code for something obviously

DeLorean937
07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I agree. When I got the car I first saw it, and thought it was quite interesting in appearance ...

nick sutton
07-12-2013, 08:12 AM
I guess the job at GCHQ the UK code breaking/spying department is off then?
I'll take another look at the detail and give a more mature response later

Nick

D Knight
09-13-2013, 12:38 AM
And now I have this one

-D Knight-

DMCH James
11-27-2013, 10:17 AM

Found it today, of course, while looking for something else!

refugeefromcalif
12-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I finally just Had to see what was under my headliners.

I don't know about the 13 but, I understand the L and R part.
The other numbers don't ring a bell for me, (maybe someone here has a clue)?

Drivers door.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23353&d=1385928489

Passenger door.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23354&d=1385928597

Passenger door inverted.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23355&d=1385928708

I do want too send a big, HEY! out to Bert though. :wave:

(Now I have to rebond some of the fir trees back to the fiberglass). :(

George

Rich_NYS
01-11-2014, 10:14 PM
As soon as I get home I'm going to rip out my headliners and look for John D's signature. :wrenchin:

LordFly
01-13-2014, 10:14 AM
And now I have this one

That's cool! I should have had Chris sign my car! Maybe at DCS this year :)

ccurzio
01-14-2014, 09:26 AM
I would personally be happy to sign anyone's car who asks.

ALEXAKOS
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I would personally be happy to sign anyone's car who asks.

Now there is am idea!

I would love to have a panel of my D travel around the world gathering Dmctalk members signatures;) no such panel is small enough to make it price worthy, unless I get most of you at a tech meet.

Dangermouse
01-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Go to DCS and bring a door headliner :)

MCMDMC
10-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Long story short.

This past summer I purchased a barn find DeLorean. As it turns out its a 1983 and the last three digits of the VIN are 102, which makes it third from the last car built.

Anyway, I have been fixing it up and today we pulled the rear taillights out. Here is what we saw.

Pretty Awesome in my opinion!!!

RamblinDMC
10-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Wow super cool!

Long story short.

This past summer I purchased a barn find DeLorean. As it turns out its a 1983 and the last three digits of the VIN are 102, which makes it third from the last car built.

Anyway, I have been fixing it up and today we pulled the rear taillights out. Here is what we saw.

steve
10-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Long story short.

I have 20069 looks like we were 33 cars apart or at least in the same room.:wiggle:
Steve

DMC5180
10-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Wow, nice find.

Bert Spiers and Peter Cunnigham.

Now that would make an interesting interview. If they could be located ( if still living)

Parzval
03-26-2017, 11:35 PM

Just noticed the cave painting on 7178's original hood which is stored in my closet. (Because of that awful dent in the upper left which was poorly dealt with by the PO.) Though I wonder why it says No. 5

ashle232
06-26-2017, 03:54 AM
Hey mate, just looked pics and must say its awesome. Nice effort made.

Boxbot
04-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Aw man, I'm kind of bummed. I started my headliners today and my cave drawings were minimal. But at least I know the welds are ok.

jawn101
04-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Aw man, I'm kind of bummed. I started my headliners today and my cave drawings were minimal. But at least I know the welds are ok.

If anything, that would make me want to double-check them! :)

DavidProehl
04-18-2019, 11:14 PM
If anything, that would make me want to double-check them! :)

LOL! I suppose "Welds great" would be more reassuring.

DMC5180
04-19-2019, 06:39 AM
I’m surprised the VIN and Key code a not written on that door. Perhaps the other door has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeless
04-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Just noticed the cave painting on 7178's original hood which is stored in my closet. (Because of that awful dent in the upper left which was poorly dealt with by the PO.) Though I wonder why it says No. 5
Interesting to see that date. Isnt the the day the first production car came off the line?

Pizza Joe
07-08-2019, 01:33 AM

Anyone else have this guy's autograph?

CFI
07-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Interesting to see that date. Isnt the the day the first production car came off the line?

1/12/81 is Dec 1st, 1981 in European form.

DMC5180
07-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Anyone else have this guy's autograph?

I read it as “Done 6” not “Dave G”

CFI
07-09-2019, 01:26 PM
I read it as “Done 6” not “Dave G”

It doesn’t look like Done Or Dave, that last letter looks like an O. Dano maybe?

DavidProehl
07-09-2019, 02:57 PM
It doesn’t look like Done Or Dave, that last letter looks like an O. Dano maybe?

Perhaps even "Devo", they had 5 singles chart in the UK (https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/16832/devo/), and were in their prime between 81-83. Maybe a fan of the band rocking out while working?

Marty: "Is that a Devo suit?"
Doc: "Nevermind that, nevermind that now, not now."

spinaltap1
10-05-2019, 11:20 AM
Drank a few beers last night and pulled the driver side off mine. 17339

2 things stood out to me here. 1. The VIN # on the door does not match my car. The door says 5209. My car is 5482. Not sure if that's normal. 2. One of the workers wrote "Bay City Rollers", the Scottish pop band from the 70s & 80s.

Maybe next weekend I'll pull off the passenger side...

"Bay City Rollers Wankers."

jawn101
10-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Haha. That’s great. I’ll always be a little sad that the build team had a rare day of professionalism when assembling my car :)

Rich_NYS
10-05-2019, 07:22 PM

That's awesome.

Rich_NYS
12-04-2019, 04:34 PM
What does the "R.T." number mean? (i.e. R.T. 061001/31)

Marek
03-31-2022, 02:48 PM
Hello, this is in my 10469

Marek
03-31-2022, 02:59 PM
... and this I found in my VIN 00973 under the center console on tunel. Fiberglass body production date? Even the VIN plate seems to be unique with its exact car manufacturing date (European format dd.mm.yy)

Timeless
03-31-2022, 03:55 PM
Odd VIN 973 would be produced that late in 1981 plus the stamping does not conform with the standard style plates.

Gregadeth
03-31-2022, 03:57 PM
Odd VIN 973 would be produced that late in 1981 plus the stamping does not conform with the standard style plates.That's April 12 1981 :)

Timeless
03-31-2022, 04:00 PM
Even if it is that VIN seems low for April production. Why the date format change?

81dmc
04-03-2022, 11:55 AM

What I found on my quarter panel in 2015.

Marek
04-06-2022, 03:57 PM
Even if it is that VIN seems low for April production. Why the date format change?

The car production date fits to original DeLorean musem data. I’ve learnt this from the Original Owners Certificate issued by the Delorean Museum. It reads:
Build started on March 27,1981
Build completed on April 2,1981
Among the first shipment of cars to the USA on April 19, 1981 aboard Continental Highway to Long Beach, Californ*a
I haven’t found any records explaining the full date format in the VIN plate yet…

CFI
04-09-2022, 08:26 AM
Odd VIN 973 would be produced that late in 1981 plus the stamping does not conform with the standard style plates.

That type of date on the VIN plate was the original style. It was changed a few months into production. As mentioned by others it’s a European date: day, month, year.

BakerCo
05-15-2023, 04:17 PM
These are super fun, almost like stepping back in time!

Here are mine - I spy 12xxx to 17xxx re-VIN, keycode K7xxx, signature from a Phil, and initials from KS, RJC, and RB. (Hey, those are my initials - as if it was meant to be!)