PDA

View Full Version : Ask David and Farrar: Technical Questions and Advice About Carbureting a DeLorean

content22207
02-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyone have a technical question, or need technical advice, about carbureting a DeLorean?

Bill Robertson

congerz83
02-13-2012, 07:32 AM
After I pull the car out of storage, I'm going to need to see how to adjust the choke. It was moody about how it would engage. It the choke wouldn't operate on cold start. It would wait till I was about 1/2 miles down the road, engage and unless I pounded the piss out of the accelerator, it wouldn't disengage. It didn't matter because one I stopped at the very next stop-light the choke would hang up again.

I just wound up disconnecting the choke and having the car run VERY rough until it warms up. So basically I'm operating without a choke.

Elvis
02-22-2012, 05:12 PM
just saw this and thought it might be intersting for you carb-fans.

http://www.velocetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/two-three-barrel-webers.jpg

Dangermouse
02-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Is that in an Alpine?

stevedmc
03-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I like my carb because it is pretty.

opethmike
03-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I do have to say I like the look of your carb setup; nice and open, and lots of room. Almost looks like it could have been factory.

DMCMW Dave
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM

You need this for increased prettiness...

http://store.delorean.com/p-6043-label-jump-start-instructions.aspx

Squall67584
03-23-2012, 12:53 PM

What type of manifold is that? Doesn't look like one I've seen while lurking on the boards.

stevedmc
03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
You need this for increased prettiness...

http://store.delorean.com/p-6043-label-jump-start-instructions.aspx

I've got a body shop that should be calling you in a few days for a lot of parts. Throw one in and I'll be sure to buy you a burger at DCS.

What type of manifold is that? Doesn't look like one I've seen while lurking on the boards.

Peugot 604

I do have to say I like the look of your carb setup; nice and open, and lots of room. Almost looks like it could have been factory.

Thanks. It does look factory except for the plugged injector holes. When I get around to it I am going to do some sanding and painting to the fiberglass in the engine bay.

Michael
03-23-2012, 05:44 PM
The engine cover looks extremely bowed up in the center, is that due to the air cleaner clearance? I saw one that had a hole cut out in the cover for that very reason, looked good and no doubt gave it a cooler intake charge.

stevedmc
03-23-2012, 06:16 PM
The engine cover looks extremely bowed up in the center, is that due to the air cleaner clearance? I saw one that had a hole cut out in the cover for that very reason, looked good and no doubt gave it a cooler intake charge.

The engine cover is bowed because it's 30 years old. One day i will install some sort or bracket to give it extra support

My fuel system has plenty of clearance. The engine cover was in the same condition when I was running K-jet.

EarlHickey
05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Hello, I'd like to know the intake port sizes, volume of port as well as the same dimensions on the stock CIS manifold runners would be nice too, and exhaust port sizes of the stock PRV.

My plan, two threes and multiply crossed over 3 into 1 headers....... just looking to fully optimize what is there while I acquire heads and other bits to get serious about finding all the HP and torque the stock bumpstick can accommodate.

It sure seems to me that there must be an easy 25 horses to be had over the stock configuration, if not 40.

If this trail has already been blazed, in whole or in part, I'd be quite appreciative of any knowledge you can share.

I also plan to fully control a higher output ignition's timing curve.

BTW... my factory manual seemingly fails to specify the connecting rod length. Scaling the line drawing seems to indicate nearly 2:1. Could I also get confirmation on the connecting rod length? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ron
05-02-2012, 08:54 PM
BTW... my factory manual seemingly fails to specify the connecting rod length. Scaling the line drawing seems to indicate nearly 2:1. Could I also get confirmation on the connecting rod length? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Here ya go (page 9):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13720563/DeLorean%20and%20Volvo%20Manuals/Volve-B28F_Reconditioning-Section2_21-Hybrid.pdf

EarlHickey
05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you for the info and that is a much nicer manual than the Delorean Workshop manual. Assuming the Volvo engine has the same connecting rod length, 2:1 it is.

I noted that the Volvo pistons are shown with slight popups whereas the factory Delorean manual seems to illustrate dished pistons for it's 8.8:1 CR. If the Delorean uses dished pistons, do you know the volume of the dish? If it uses popups, do you know it's negative volume?

Is the Delorean PRV the same as the Volvo B28?

However, I'm still seeking port dimensions and volume if anyone knows. I'd prefer to do my homework, make sure I have all needed materials on hand and be ready to fab prior to taking it apart and having it inoperative.

I don't think this one will need very large carbs. I also looked at a available header for the Delorean. My first impression was that the primaries were too large and short for a 6500 rpm redline engine that peaks under 6000 rpm. I'm a bit more inclined to believe this now that I know the internal geometry for sure. I just showed the Crabman and he seems to also agree.

I really want excellent BSFC numbers along with my fatter torque band and more horsepower. I hate not getting every last bang for each drop of dino juice.

Here ya go (page 9):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13720563/DeLorean%20and%20Volvo%20Manuals/Volve-B28F_Reconditioning-Section2_21-Hybrid.pdf

Ron
05-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Thank you for the info and that is a much nicer manual than the Delorean Workshop manual. Assuming the Volvo engine has the same connecting rod length, 2:1 it is.

I noted that the Volvo pistons are shown with slight popups whereas the factory Delorean manual seems to illustrate dished pistons for it's 8.8:1 CR. If the Delorean uses dished pistons, do you know the volume of the dish? If it uses popups, do you know it's negative volume?

Is the Delorean PRV the same as the Volvo B28?

However, I'm still seeking port dimensions and volume if anyone knows. I'd prefer to do my homework, make sure I have all needed materials on hand and be ready to fab prior to taking it apart and having it inoperative.

I don't think this one will need very large carbs. I also looked at a available header for the Delorean. My first impression was that the primaries were too large and short for a 6500 rpm redline engine that peaks under 6000 rpm. I'm a bit more inclined to believe this now that I know the internal geometry for sure. I just showed the Crabman and he seems to also agree.

I really want excellent BSFC numbers along with my fatter torque band and more horsepower. I hate not getting every last bang for each drop of dino juice.The DeLorean uses a B28F.
Sorry I don't know the details at that level for the engine (My head is full of US muscle cars ;-) but there are several here that do...hopefully someone will chime in.

FWIW- I like your approach (homework, probing, questioning, ...) and suggest that if you are not going to keep the K-Jet fuel system, check out the EFI threads here -- At least throw the idea in your bag of ideas, and shake it up, before you choose ;-)

EDIT: You may want to start your own project thread

EarlHickey
05-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Thank you again for your help and your suggestions are noted!

The choice has already been made for me, the car is already with one lonely carburetor that does not please my eye or seat of the pants internal dyno.

I've been told many times I should have a stainless car since I specialize in the white metals and have built several largely stainless and ti motorcycles. I build them to go fast and it would seem that I prefer starting with mules wearing flip flops as opposed to thoroughbreds in nikes. Most likely it's really a case of starting with what is affordable and on hand.

It would seem the planets were in proper alignment for me to be honored with Delorean ownership and I'm happy with what I got even though several aspects of it could better. It's perfect for my purposes.

I'm quite competent with the various forms of Bosch FI, especially CIS, as one of my daily drivers is a tweaked 245 that will do 130mph and change, returns 35 mpg at 80mph and will rev to just a tick south of 8,000 rpm. However, I did not get all the CIS system and I'm certain I will make this dog hunt without it.

I think I'll start a general engine constraints thread and maybe see if many or all of the basic tuning dimensions can be gathered into one place for future tuners. If I find them on any of the various Volvo forums (which seems highly likely) I'll bring them here.

It would be interesting to know the primary and collector dimensions of the currently offered headers available.

An aside, I noticed Lingfelter has a DMC-12 featured on his site. I haven't spoken to him or worked with him in years. The last time was in the early 90's screwing together some of his fine components to make a 215 mph Vette. I wonder if he's graced a Delorean with his very masterful brilliance. Do you know? I don't see anything on the net that indicates he's done a Delorean supercar yet. I have him on my list of people to call this week.

btw.... where is the registry so I can check into this car's history? I surely have no desire to type any factual info that may offend anyone.

Do you have any recommendations for Volvo sites which seem inhabited with any land speed racers or other types of serious gear heads?

Farrar
05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
If you're really into engine modding, I'd suggest looking up the specs for the B28E engine. Compression ratio was 9.5:1 if I recall correctly. If you can get the specs for that camshaft profile, valve size and porting, you will have a really nicely-breathing PRV which can suck up as much fuel as your jets will provide.

EarlHickey
05-03-2012, 03:48 PM
If you're really into engine modding, I'd suggest looking up the specs for the B28E engine. Compression ratio was 9.5:1 if I recall correctly. If you can get the specs for that camshaft profile, valve size and porting, you will have a really nicely-breathing PRV which can suck up as much fuel as your jets will provide.

Thanks!

Does the stock DMC engine use domed or dished pistons? I really can't tell from the Factory Service manual although they do look to be drawn as dished while the Volvo B27/28 manual shows domes. I'm not sure if their illustration may have likely been of one of the 10:1 engines listed in the same manual.

I like the idea of smaller ports, valves and induction for this particular engine, does the B28E have larger ports and valves?

Any hard numbers are appreciated, I'll root them out one way or the other.

My preliminary studies have had me thinking if I were going to get very serious, warming up a later 90's 24V would be a smart move. I'm sure I could be wrong and some other variant of this engine may be better. I'm content, for now, with the stocker.

Would you think the same header would work well on both the odd fire and split pin versions of this engine? I personally don't think so.

Farrar
05-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I have never taken one of these engines apart, but I have sent you the e-mail address of someone who has. He should be able to answer all of your questions, or point you to the appropriate literature.

By the way, the 24v version is hard to find in the U.S., but here's hoping you get lucky. FYI, the camshaft is fitted from the other end, so if you plan on installing different camshafts in the 24v PRV, do it before the engine is in the car. ;)

Edit: Have you started a new thread about building up the engine? This thread is for carburetor questions, and there are people on here more knowledgeable about the engine in general than David and I are who may be able to help you out, but they won't be watching this space since it is in the carburetor subsection and most carb users haven't modded the engine in the ways that you are talking about.

EarlHickey
05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you very kindly, sir!

I'm not doing the engine thing yet, I've too many already apart in my shop and I like the engine in this one just fine!

Have you any thoughts on a smooth bore butter fly carb minimum diameter to make 180 horsepower, using IR and six throats?

Do you know if the stock runners will flow enough to make 180 horsepower?

I think they just might and I'd like to know the maximum they are able to flow, without being touched.

I noticed a plenum with runners cast integral on ebay that looks very much different than what came on mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160793546372?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=160793546372&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Mine does not look like this. Do two styles exist? Could you point me to a picture of the other style if so and when where they changed?

AdmiralSenn
05-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you very kindly, sir!

I'm not doing the engine thing yet, I've too many already apart in my shop and I like the engine in this one just fine!

Have you any thoughts on a smooth bore butter fly carb minimum diameter to make 180 horsepower, using IR and six throats?

Do you know if the stock runners will flow enough to make 180 horsepower?

I think they just might and I'd like to know the maximum they are able to flow, without being touched.

I noticed a plenum with runners cast integral on ebay that looks very much different than what came on mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160793546372?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=160793546372&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Mine does not look like this. Do two styles exist? Could you point me to a picture of the other style if so and when where they changed?

Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a standard K-Jet (or EFI for some of us who don't have access to later PRV EFI engine parts) manifold.

EarlHickey
05-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a standard K-Jet (or EFI for some of us who don't have access to later PRV EFI engine parts) manifold.

Mine has the upper rectangular vessels, a type of molded plastic, on each side, remove-able and the lower runners "spigot'd" so that they are coupled to the upper non-metal boxes via rubber hoses clamped onto the three spigots at the bottom of the boxes. Maybe my manifold is from something else. Heck, maybe the engine is as well. I suppose I should find out if this engine is a factory PRV for the DMC.

Other than this deviation and the carb in place of all the CIS stuff, it appears to be a stock DMC engine.

I like it better than the ebay stock piece as it leaves me the option of connecting carbs on their ~ 4.5" centers, or removing the "lower manifold/runners" and screwing them directly to the heads.

I'll take it completely apart once I start fabbing up my carb setup and snap some pix.

Does a engine chart exist for the purpose of identifying these engines via their casting and/or stamped numbers and where are they located?

AdmiralSenn
05-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Unless that's some bizarrely specific undocumented motor, that sounds like anything BUT a factory manifold. All that I've ever heard was that the factory cars all came with the manifold you linked to on ebay. (Martin Gutkowski would know a lot more about PRV variations than I, however, and could probably tell you exactly what car it came from).

Can you post a picture? I'm having a hard time visualizing.

Farrar
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Mine has the upper rectangular vessels, a type of molded plastic, on each side, remove-able and the lower runners "spigot'd" so that they are coupled to the upper non-metal boxes via rubber hoses clamped onto the three spigots at the bottom of the boxes. Maybe my manifold is from something else. Heck, maybe the engine is as well. I suppose I should find out if this engine is a factory PRV for the DMC.

Did you happen to buy a $6k DMC with blue bumpers (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3797-Name-that-Carb-Project-car-quiz)?

The cross-ram intake manifold you found on eBay is what came from the factory. Martin Gutkowski in the UK occasionally has an intake manifold for sale, sourced from an EFI-equipped version of the same engine, which has a much larger throttle body, so it obviously breathes quite well. If he has one, you might contact him, because that EFI intake manifold will be impossible to find locally.

180 HP is no problem for a stock DeLorean PRV. The transmission can handle it, too, so you don't have to worry (assuming you have a 5-speed).

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Did you happen to buy a $6k DMC with blue bumpers (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3797-Name-that-Carb-Project-car-quiz)?

The cross-ram intake manifold you found on eBay is what came from the factory. Martin Gutkowski in the UK occasionally has an intake manifold for sale, sourced from an EFI-equipped version of the same engine, which has a much larger throttle body, so it obviously breathes quite well. If he has one, you might contact him, because that EFI intake manifold will be impossible to find locally.

180 HP is no problem for a stock DeLorean PRV. The transmission can handle it, too, so you don't have to worry (assuming you have a 5-speed).

No, I did not happen to buy "a 6K DMC with blue bumpers".

However, I have that same lower runners and it has 48mm throttle butterflies. The runners do indeed accept CIS injectors. I'm not aware of any electric injectors small enough to go into the bores provided.

I also have the air plate and fuel distributor assembly along with the injectors. I've yet to check their numbers to see if they are DMC.

Do you know what that manifold is? What size throttle butterflies does the stock DMC CIS have?

I'm certain it is CIS and not L-Jet or later.

Oh, what do you know to be the HP and torque limits of the automatic and what fails first? Second if that's addressed and at what numbers then?

82DMC12
05-04-2012, 11:26 AM

However, I have that same lower runners and it has 48mm throttle butterflies. The runners do indeed accept CIS injectors. I'm not aware of any electric injectors small enough to go into the bores provided.

I also have the air plate and fuel distributor assembly along with the injectors. I've yet to check their numbers to see if they are DMC.

Do you know what that manifold is? What size throttle butterflies does the stock DMC CIS have?

I'm certain it is CIS and not L-Jet or later.

Oh, what do you know to be the HP and torque limits of the automatic and what fails first? Second if that's addressed and at what numbers then?

Need pics, no one has a clue what you are talking about without pics.

Andy

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Need pics, no one has a clue what you are talking about without pics.

Andy

It is lower runners as shown on the blue bumper although it is CIS and not EFI.

BTW... I've asked some direct and should be reasonably easy questions, do you guys like to not share knowledge or is it my breath? ;-)

82DMC12
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
It is lower runners as shown on the blue bumper although it is CIS and not EFI.

Can you post a photo? No one will be able to help you without a couple of pictures.

Farrar
05-04-2012, 11:49 AM

OK. The going theory on that car was that the intake manifold was not made of metal, and since it was the first one I'd heard of, I had to ask. :-)

I believe the information you seek is in the Volvo manuals for the B28F engine (assuming your car has the original engine in it!). As has been said before, pictures would be immensely useful to anyone trying to help you.

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
cooperation and communication are the cornerstones of civilization......

48mm butterflies......... stock DMC bores?

Engine and trans ID numbers exact location?

Intake and exhaust port dimensions as found in stock DMC heads?
I'll accept that maybe nobody has cc'd the ports, or if so, not inclined to publish the numbers, but, the bore sizes?

Dished or domed pistons in the DMC stocker?

Has anyone compiled a comprehensive Delorean registry that is viewable online or otherwise?

I'd appreciate the help and sharing, I'm not so much concerned exactly what the runners are for now. Maybe later but, probably not.

Farrar
05-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Do you seriously expect us to have such esoteric information committed to memory? Most of us hop in our cars and drive them; we do not build racing cars.

A Workshop Manual costs about as much as a decent haircut. If you choose not to buy one, then you will have to wait until one of us has the free time to go and look all of this information up for you, so be patient.

opethmike
05-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Do you seriously expect us to have such esoteric information committed to memory? Most of us hop in our cars and drive them; we do not build racing cars.

A Workshop Manual costs about as much as a decent haircut. If you choose not to buy one, then you will have to wait until one of us has the free time to go and look all of this information up for you, so be patient.

+1

The DeLorean community, while there are some modifications here and there, is not a hot rodding type of car community in the least.

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I expect and demand nothing from anyone and own a factory manual. I've looked at the Volvo manual too. Thank you very much.

Sorry, I thought this was a carburetor sub-section of the CUSTOM DELOREAN section. My guess is it would be kinda hard to advise about custom carb setups without knowing some of the answers. I know if MY NAME was on this section, I'd know the answers!

Further be it for me to think some here may actually have an engine or two open with parts laying around.

Good luck with your custom carb section. I'll not intrude again.

Farrar
05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
See you later, Bill.

P.S. - I did not name the thread. If I had, I would have named it "Q&A about carbureting a stock DeLorean."

stevedmc
05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I expect and demand nothing from anyone and own a factory manual. I've looked at the Volvo manual too. Thank you very much.

Sorry, I thought this was a carburetor sub-section of the CUSTOM DELOREAN section. My guess is it would be kinda hard to advise about custom carb setups without knowing some of the answers. I know if MY NAME was on this section, I'd know the answers!

Further be it for me to think some here may actually have an engine or two open with parts laying around.

Good luck with your custom carb section. I'll not intrude again.

Anything other than a Motorcraft 2100 sucks and isn't allowed on any Delorean (carbureted) that I support. I'll do my best to help someone with K-jet but I ain't working on any carb unless its a Motorcraft 2100.

See you later, Bill.

Huh?

82DMC12
05-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Honestly can't decide if Earl is a troll or for real. :confused:

Farrar
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Honestly can't decide if Earl is a troll or for real. :confused:

I think it's somebody pretending to be Bill pretending not to be Bill. That would be far more entertaining than a mere troll.

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
carburetors and DeLoreans

Here is Bill Robertson's e-mail address: [email protected]
Bill is a friend of mine in North Carolina who has tons of Volvo literature at his disposal and should be able to give you any specs on the PRV engine that you might possibly need while constructing your carb setup. He also owns two carbureted DeLoreans so he knows a lot about this alternative fuel delivery system.

Best regards.
Farrar Hudkins

This Bill you pointed me to in your kind PM?

Look Mr Hudkins, you don't know me from Adam. What I can assure you is that it's very likely I've forgotten more about tuning engines than you'll ever know. When you see a Delorean with a header tuned for what is actually there and carbs far more capable than what your pal is certain has no equal, you'll know I've been there and I'm certainly not pimping barbaric motorcraft carbs, or named Bill.

Just so you learn something from this, IR for this engine, with it's very soft camshaft and port tuning that takes advantage of the very long rod:stroke ratio while avoiding beating the shit out of the air plate and regulator, will perform very well with uncharacteristically small bores, especially with an intelligently designed header having appropriately sized primaries and an effective collector.

I'll even be kind and share some of the numbers.....

34-38mm's
1 3/8 OD by 32-34" requiring multiple crossovers to keep a very tight and long collector end from having a traffic jam

Have you ever seen such an exhaust?

"Ask David and Farrar: Technical Questions and Advice About Carbureting a DeLorean"

Should this have actually been titled, "Post Here for a Continuation of the Same Dead Horse Motocraft 5200 Trick"?

I'm really a nice guy and will help anyone who is respectful, but, I don't suffer people talking about my haircut very well.

I also admit when I simply don't know the answers or am out of my league if my silence doesn't suffice. I damned sure don't talk down to strangers just because I don't know the topic.

Good Day.

stevedmc
05-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Why are you publishing someone's email address in a public forum and attacking Farrar?

Farrar
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Abuse is easy to throw around on the Internet. It's also easy to shrug off. I find it hard to believe that a grown man would have such problems with a simple case of mistaken identity, especially since he uses the screen name of a fictional character from a cancelled TV show and never signs any of his posts. Nonetheless, I seem to have irritated him. OK, but since his purpose in coming here seems to have been simply to brag about his own skill and ask a bunch of questions that would prove how much more knowledgeable he is than the rest of us, I, frankly, could give a shit.

I am still ready to help, to the best of my ability, anyone who would like information about carbureting a DeLorean. I freely admit that I only know one method of doing so, which involves leaving the engine alone and replacing only the fuel system. I am no Bill Robertson, but I never will be. Where my knowledge falls short, I will point in the direction of where knowledge lies, be it in a book, a Google search, or another person. Just because my name is in the title of this thread does not mean that I am some sort of PRV or hot-rodding guru. I do not know where that assertion came from, but it sounds suspiciously like Bill's "Oh, aren't YOU the carb guru now?" which he has used to abuse me whenever I have had a question or some uncertainty since he was banned from here.

Perhaps my name should be taken off of this thread. I may not know everything, but I studied carburetor operation before I changed fuel delivery systems, and my DeLorean has run a carburetor for four years and I believe that I have picked up some knowledge along the way.

Or I am an ignoramus and an asshole. I will let you all decide for yourselves, since I don't care what anyone thinks of me anymore.

[Insert Steve saying "Farrar sucks" here.]

ccurzio
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Why are you publishing someone's email address in a public forum and attacking Farrar?

Seriously, this.

You seem like a pretty tremendous douche, Earl. If you want to be a respectful member of the community and participate in discussion in a reasonable manner, then you're absolutely welcome. If you're just interested in puffing up your chest, talking down to people, and being an overall tool, please save everyone the trouble and just go ahead and leave.

stevedmc
05-04-2012, 08:32 PM
[Insert Steve saying "Farrar sucks" here.]

Ron Sucks.

Farrar
05-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Ron Sucks.

Hey, you missed your mark there. ;)

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM

I'm certain I did no more than give back what was being dished out.

BTW.... I've read enough of Bill's ramblings about the trite and common motocraft carb conversion to be bored to tears.

82DMC12
05-04-2012, 11:21 PM

BTW.... I've read enough of Bill's ramblings about the trite and common motocraft carb conversion to be bored to tears.

Then it's probably time for you to saddle up and go make your super PRV all by your lonesome self. Send pics when it's done.

stevedmc
05-05-2012, 09:28 AM

What's your email address?

Ron
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Join the club! -- Ironically, he probably has the info you want in his head.

The bore, engine serial and part numbers, designations, are all in the first link I gave you??
I would call a vendor (?DPI?) for the port size specs...I bet they want to tell you!...lol
(ie You may very well want to use their set and spend the time and effort replacing the input shaft on the auto box... ;-)

Oops- I meant to give you this link along with the other one:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13720563/DeLorean%20and%20Volvo%20Manuals/Volvo-B28F_RepairAndMaintenance-Section2-Hybrid.pdf
Both links (and much more) are HERE (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2866-Searchable-Workshop-Technical-Bulletins-and-Volvo-Engine-Manuals) in the Resources Section.

The search here sux. Save the following "shortcut" to your favorites.
(You will get much better results and probably stir up the natives less :deviltail: )
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:dmctalk.org&hl=en&lr=

========

Hey, you missed your mark there. ;)

Um...thanks, Ol' buddy??

========

Carbs SUCK...K-Jet BLOWS

DCUK Martin
05-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Head over to the forum on www.renaultalpine.co.uk and seek out a member called Martin Faulks, he's a regular and definitely speaks your language and has a lot more experience with PRV tunign than the DeLorean crowd (me, I like forced induction and EFI).

I must admit to being surprised that despite having all that literature, you had to ask on the forum what the cylinder bore is... 91mm FYI.

Just so you learn something from this, IR for this engine, with it's very soft camshaft and port tuning that takes advantage of the very long rod:stroke ratio while avoiding beating the shit out of the air plate and regulator, will perform very well with uncharacteristically small bores, especially with an intelligently designed header having appropriately sized primaries and an effective collector.

I'll even be kind and share some of the numbers.....

EarlHickey
05-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Head over to the forum on www.renaultalpine.co.uk and seek out a member called Martin Faulks, he's a regular and definitely speaks your language and has a lot more experience with PRV tunign than the DeLorean crowd (me, I like forced induction and EFI).

I must admit to being surprised that despite having all that literature, you had to ask on the forum what the cylinder bore is... 91mm FYI.

Thanks, I certainly did not ask any basic internal geometry other than rod length, inexplicably not disclosed in the factory manual with it's wonderful line drawings which appear, in several places, to have been scaled by an artist whose hair was on fire, and I also asked port sizes and volumes.

I do find it curious that they appear to differ from left bank to right and that the cam timing does as well. Do you have any explanation or theory for this?

Do you know if the factory tuned runners' lengths also differ accordingly?

I'm with you on force feeding and I'm not even opposed to it if done simply via adiabatic and inertial means. I also like sophisticated EFI as it works very well, I just prefer my own rides be dependent on as few electrons as possible.

Too many years of fooling with high end cars having more miles of harness than fighter jets for me to go out of my way to add more.

EarlHickey
05-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh, I see I may not have been clear enough when stating my throttle body has 48mm butterflies and then asked for stock <throttle body> bores.....

I'm reasonably sure my throttle body, with 48mm bores and butterflies, is stock.

Delorean Industries
05-06-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm surprised with all of his questions that he needs to ask anyone anything DMC related. What he is asking isn't hard to figure out and he seems to be rather well educated.

thirdmanj
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm surprised with all of his questions that he needs to ask anyone anything DMC related. What he is asking isn't hard to figure out and he seems to be rather well educated.

I think he's just being a douche. With comments like "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.." blah blah, it's just super indicative of a prickish attitude. I'm sure he's very smart and educated in his field, but that's no reason to take a piss on a thread in a effort to make its senior members look like idiots. Farrar explained his position very well, but the guy was still being a tool. Theres a better way of making you technical knowledge available and known without, throwing it arround a thread like a flaming horse cock. A little diplomacy goes a long ways.

But it's no matter, if he continues in the manner he's demonstrated he'll be banned for sure.

EarlHickey
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
1) Hello, I'd like to know the intake port sizes, volume of port as well as the same dimensions on the stock CIS manifold runners would be nice too, and exhaust port sizes of the stock PRV. [none of the factory manuals give this info and I've found errors in all scaled line drawings. Easy to figure out if I had my manifolds off, sorry, I do not]

2)BTW... my factory manual seemingly fails to specify the connecting rod length. Scaling the line drawing seems to indicate nearly 2:1. Could I also get confirmation on the connecting rod length? Thanks for any help you can offer. [answered here Rod to Stroke ratio is a very long 2.004:1, thanks]

3)I noted that the Volvo pistons are shown with slight popups whereas the factory Delorean manual seems to illustrate dished pistons for it's 8.8:1 CR. If the Delorean uses dished pistons, do you know the volume of the dish? If it uses popups, do you know it's negative volume? [seems nobody here knows and I am pretty sure the piston is an asinine "reverse dish" with a negative deck height resulting in virtually no useful squish]

4)It would be interesting to know the primary and collector dimensions of the currently offered headers available. [I directly asked for available camshaft specs in another thread that is advertised with absolutely none offered, however, I must acknowledge a cam card for a header was freely offered. I initially only wanted basic dimensions, that shouldn't be a secret, right?]

5)Have you any thoughts on a smooth bore butter fly carb minimum diameter to make 180 horsepower, using IR and six throats?

6)Do you know if the stock runners will flow enough to make 180 horsepower? [directly answered in the affirmative here, thanks]

7)What size throttle butterflies does the stock DMC CIS have? [easy to figure out if one has another known throttle body near by, sorry, I do not and the manuals do not specify this. Look for yourself if you don't believe me]

Really guys..... I stated very early on that I have a factory manual and proved it by stating it provides no connecting rod blueprint dimensions so save the "cheaper than a haircut" childish jabs.

Don't sweat any of it and you are right, I am very well educated and not a lemming. I'll get answers to all my questions that matter to me.
My works have been featured in magazines all over the world and again, I'm here to help anyone just trying to get through this old life.

I only have one of these cars and I'm fine taking care of just it.

Keep your header and cam specs, I won't pull eye teeth to do good faith business with anyone as I know far too many kindred in the industry who have proven very happy to help me and I am quite capable myself, so suffering anything less than good faith and open disclosure at least of things I may buy seldom happens. I also do not buy things that I know won't serve my purpose or is far inferior to what I know I can make happen. That's a promise.

It's never ceased to amaze me how readily internet persons talk down to, punk out, or dismiss an unknown entity and are completely shocked when it doesn't work out well for them.

Nobody needs pix to answer the "easy to figure out" questions that I've asked, that anyone who knows about tuning would also need to know.

Now if you guys would like to start off on a better foot, I'm game.

Peace and if my approach isn't welcome among your community, I've been banned from better forums.

My apologies to Farrar for the disrespect and to all who were offended by it.

I would edit or delete the posts, but, I'll assume after a certain period of time has passed, the forum software denies that option.

Delorean Industries
05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
1) Hello, I'd like to know the intake port sizes, volume of port as well as the same dimensions on the stock CIS manifold runners would be nice too, and exhaust port sizes of the stock PRV. [none of the factory manuals give this info and I've found errors in all scaled line drawings. Easy to figure out if I had my manifolds off, sorry, I do not]

2)BTW... my factory manual seemingly fails to specify the connecting rod length. Scaling the line drawing seems to indicate nearly 2:1. Could I also get confirmation on the connecting rod length? Thanks for any help you can offer. [answered here Rod to Stroke ratio is a very long 2.004:1, thanks]

3)I noted that the Volvo pistons are shown with slight popups whereas the factory Delorean manual seems to illustrate dished pistons for it's 8.8:1 CR. If the Delorean uses dished pistons, do you know the volume of the dish? If it uses popups, do you know it's negative volume? [seems nobody here knows and I am pretty sure the piston is an asinine "reverse dish" with a negative deck height resulting in virtually no useful squish]

4)It would be interesting to know the primary and collector dimensions of the currently offered headers available. [I directly asked for available camshaft specs in another thread that is advertised with absolutely none offered, however, I must acknowledge a cam card for a header was freely offered. I initially only wanted basic dimensions, that shouldn't be a secret, right?]

5)Have you any thoughts on a smooth bore butter fly carb minimum diameter to make 180 horsepower, using IR and six throats?

6)Do you know if the stock runners will flow enough to make 180 horsepower? [directly answered in the affirmative here, thanks]

7)What size throttle butterflies does the stock DMC CIS have? [easy to figure out if one has another known throttle body near by, sorry, I do not and the manuals do not specify this. Look for yourself if you don't believe me]

Really guys..... I stated very early on that I have a factory manual and proved it by stating it provides no connecting rod blueprint dimensions so save the "cheaper than a haircut" childish jabs.

Don't sweat any of it and you are right, I am very well educated and not a lemming. I'll get answers to all my questions that matter to me.
My works have been featured in magazines all over the world and again, I'm here to help anyone just trying to get through this old life.

Keep your header and cam specs, I won't pull eye teeth to do good faith business with anyone as I know far too many kindred in the industry who have proven very happy to help me and I am quite capable myself, so suffering anything less than good faith and open disclosure at least of things I may buy seldom happens. I also do not buy things that I know won't serve my purpose or is far inferior to what I know I can make happen. That's a promise.

It's never ceased to amaze me how readily internet persons talk down to, punk out, or dismiss an unknown entity and are completely shocked when it doesn't work out well for them.

Nobody needs pix to answer the "easy to figure out" questions that I've asked, that anyone who knows about tuning would also need to know.

Peace and if my approach isn't welcome among your community, I've been banned from better forums.

I would edit or delete the posts, but, I'll assume after a certain period of time has passed, the forum software denies that option.

I was more then happy to supply you with any specs you wanted. Camshaft, exhaust any that we have on it etc. You never contacted us over it so I figured you didn't want to know.

82DMC12
05-07-2012, 11:05 AM

Douchebaggery.

Actually we still need pics to answer your question about the intake manifold you have. You are right, most of these questions are easy to figure out - get your digital calipers and measure the thickness of a T/A shim. So far you haven't even proven you have a DeLorean and you just seem like a troll crapping all over this board. I could be wrong, but I'll believe it when I start seeing actual results, YOUR REAL NAME, and not a bunch of boasting.

Andy

thirdmanj
05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
That was very big of you Earl. I'm sure your expertise and skill set will be much appreciated in the forum! Could you perhaps link up some of your work if it's online? I bet it would make for some very educational reading.

EarlHickey
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
That was very big of you Earl. I'm sure your expertise and skill set will be much appreciated in the forum! Could you perhaps link up some of your work if it's online? I bet it would make for some very educational reading.

Putting the big website back up has been considered as have both editorial and staff magazine positions.

I did all that stuff in the past and I'm not quite ready to relinquish the reclaimed quiet life just yet.

Josh, truly, no disrespect intended, publish your specs on your website.

Pictures, prices and specs sell good merchandise.

The other guy, I'll run right out and buy some shims even though my car's underside and chassis is with less than 5000 miles from full restoration.
My TAB bolts are new and do indeed appear to be inconel, bushings are also quite nice, thank you.
It matters not to me one bit if you doubt I have said car. It pays to be nice and again, communication and cooperation is the cornerstone of civilization.
Great things started happening among men when they first started openly and freely exchanged ideas, even if by scratching pictures on the cave walls.

If I've truly offended you, again, you have my apology. I mean no harm.

stevedmc
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM

I'm glad my name isn't on the title for this thread.

dmc6960
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
My TAB bolts are new and do indeed appear to be inconel, bushings are also quite nice, thank you.

Quizztime...

What "appears" to be inconel about your TABs?

EarlHickey
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Quizztime...

What "appears" to be inconel about your TABs?

They have Toby bolt 12 point heads that are unlike ARP 12 point heads.

EarlHickey
05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Douchebaggery.

Actually we still need pics to answer your question about the intake manifold you have. You are right, most of these questions are easy to figure out - get your digital calipers and measure the thickness of a T/A shim. So far you haven't even proven you have a DeLorean and you just seem like a troll crapping all over this board. I could be wrong, but I'll believe it when I start seeing actual results, YOUR REAL NAME, and not a bunch of boasting.

Andy

Mr Andy 82DMC12,

I can't say I'm flattered to bother you so greatly.

I did indeed ask specifically about a stock DMC manifold, which I do not currently have, but, will purchase one in due time and if I knew YOUR REAL NAME, I'd make sure I didn't buy anything from you. I don't really care about the one on my car and just maybe, I'll modify it for the purpose of pulse tuning, so you'll just have to do without pix because I've no interest in selling it and it's origin is of no concern to me. If you don't know specifics the stocker, that's fine. You owe me nothing.

Good Day,

EarlHickey

stevedmc
05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
if I knew YOUR REAL NAME

Is Earl Hickey your real name?

82DMC12
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
No, he is just toying with you.

Earl, how is Blue Bumper coming along?

DCUK Martin
05-22-2012, 04:26 PM
I've been banned from better forums.

Says it all, if you think about it.

stevedmc
05-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I vote that my name be put in the title of this thread.

Ron
05-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I vote that my name be put in the title of this thread.
Well ask David and Farrar.........

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Today I received the following message from Mr. Earl Hickey himself. I wanted to post it in the open discussion thread but it seems a previous moderator closed all of the Earl Hickey threads.

Hey Cupcake
It's much more likely that my REAL NAME is Earl Hickey than yours is stevedmc.

Good luck pimping out your ride on ebay and I'm not the least bit surprised you are completely unaware how very easily you could TBI your short runner'd dual plane reversion monster intake.

I'll be charitable however and tell you that reversion is why your air filter is often wet with gas and that you should also, just because I said so, increase the bowl venting on your primitive fuel metering device.

It does often have raw fuel standing in the air filter housing, doesn't it. Try looking, carefully study my posts, and maybe you can figure out why.

Would you like for me to tell you the three rpm ranges that it spits raw fuel out the top of your carb's airhorn?

Would you like for me to tell you how to cure it and the occasional rough bucking or jerking, no matter how slight?

See, I could have a goofy nick like yours and it would make what I type to you no less correct or substantive.

Maybe you will prove intelligent enough to actually realize I know what I'm talking about.

In the mean time, it would appear you'd do better for yourself if you refrained from constantly trying to be "cute".

I doubt anyone that made the connection would find how you present here to be that of anyone they wanted to buy anything from or even rent their car.

dvonk
05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
hm, i pity someone who has to be that condescending to everyone in order to make himself feel superior. seems to me like there are other underlying personal issues that are the source of such negativity.

opethmike
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
hm, i pity someone who has to be that condescending to everyone in order to make himself feel superior. seems to me like there are other underlying personal issues that are the source of such negativity.

+1

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Frankly the guy is just a plain jerk. I don't know why anyone ever thought this guy to be Bill. Amazingly though, Earl hasn't been banned.

Anyway, to respond to Earl I will say that my air filter is fine.

I have been saying for years that TBI is the route I would take if I ever were to go back to fuel injection on the Delorean.

Also, It is pretty obvious to everyone that my real name is not Stevedmc. My name (Steve Rice) and location (Baton Rouge) are included in every post I make on this forum.

thirdmanj
05-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Today I received the following message from Mr. Earl Hickey himself. I wanted to post it in the open discussion thread but it seems a previous moderator closed all of the Earl Hickey threads.

Hey Cupcake
It's much more likely that my REAL NAME is Earl Hickey than yours is stevedmc.

Good luck pimping out your ride on ebay and I'm not the least bit surprised you are completely unaware how very easily you could TBI your short runner'd dual plane reversion monster intake.

I'll be charitable however and tell you that reversion is why your air filter is often wet with gas and that you should also, just because I said so, increase the bowl venting on your primitive fuel metering device.

It does often have raw fuel standing in the air filter housing, doesn't it. Try looking, carefully study my posts, and maybe you can figure out why.

Would you like for me to tell you the three rpm ranges that it spits raw fuel out the top of your carb's airhorn?

Would you like for me to tell you how to cure it and the occasional rough bucking or jerking, no matter how slight?

See, I could have a goofy nick like yours and it would make what I type to you no less correct or substantive.

Maybe you will prove intelligent enough to actually realize I know what I'm talking about.

In the mean time, it would appear you'd do better for yourself if you refrained from constantly trying to be "cute".

I doubt anyone that made the connection would find how you present here to be that of anyone they wanted to buy anything from or even rent their car.

Shut up Earl.

82DMC12
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
A superior troll of the highest order. Be careful, they are becoming harder to detect.

Telltale signs:
1. Refusing to sign a real name to anything
2. Boasts about superior endeavors and offers up zero evidence of it. NOTHING! and people believe this tool because he talks a big talk.
3. Takes a shit in every thread he finds him/herself in (see #2)
4. Treats everyone else as a primitive imbecile, and tries to prove superiority by misspelling Holset during the course of a flaming
5. Won't even post a VIN #

How is this guy still on the forum? He is like Joey Gowdy after taking a fluid dynamics class.

Andy

opethmike
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
A superior troll of the highest order. Be careful, they are becoming harder to detect.

Telltale signs:
1. Refusing to sign a real name to anything
2. Boasts about superior endeavors and offers up zero evidence of it. NOTHING! and people believe this tool because he talks a big talk.
3. Takes a shit in every thread he finds him/herself in (see #2)
4. Treats everyone else as a primitive imbecile, and tries to prove superiority by misspelling Holset during the course of a flaming
5. Won't even post a VIN #

How is this guy still on the forum? He is like Joey Gowdy after taking a fluid dynamics class.

Andy

Agreed and love it. I also don't understand why he hasn't been banned yet. Mods, can we get on that, please?

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Agreed and love it. I also don't understand why he hasn't been banned yet. Mods, can we get on that, please?

I would say I'd like to see Earl banned but one thought just came to mind.

If Bill ever came back it would be very entertaining to see Bill and Earl go at it. I almost think the mods would appreciate Bill correcting all of the garbage Earl has been saying.

opethmike
05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Garbage versus garbage? That would be very entertaining! :evil3::evil3::evil3:

82DMC12
05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
If the eating popcorn emoticon were available on tapatalk I would place it right here _______

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
If the eating popcorn emoticon were available on tapatalk I would place it right here _______

opethmike
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM

:popcorn:

thirdmanj
05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4086-Ban-quot-Earl-Hickey-quot-Poll.

Ron
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know why anyone ever thought this guy to be Bill. Amazingly though, Earl hasn't been banned.My guess is because he has A LOT of knowledge but, unfortunately, a..."poor delivery".
He has a week to think it over...

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 12:38 PM
He has a week to think it over...

Awesome. Is he on time out or something?

I love being friends with the new moderator. :)

82DMC12
05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I see Ron is also friends with "Earl" though. But I'm sure he was just being nice.

Jeff K
05-30-2012, 01:01 PM
It's awesome to see one of my favorite words on DMCtalk

"Douchebaggery"

It says it all in just one word!

opethmike
05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
He's banned now.

thirdmanj
05-30-2012, 01:49 PM
He's banned now.

Doesn't look "banned".

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Doesn't look "banned".

He got banned.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4086-Ban-quot-Earl-Hickey-quot-Poll&p=58339#post58339

Farrar
05-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Wow, I take one little trip to Dearborn without my computer and this is the sort of stuff that happens! I guess I should lurk more and post less... it seems all the really interesting stuff happens while I am away!

thirdmanj
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Wow, I take one little trip to Dearborn without my computer and this is the sort of stuff that happens! I guess I should lurk more and post less... it seems all the really interesting stuff happens while I am away!

Yeah man. You missed my awesome back and forth with "Earl". Mods removed my posts though. Can't say I blame them.

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah man. You missed my awesome back and forth with "Earl". Mods removed my posts though. Can't say I blame them.

I never saw the nasty back and forth messages on the forum. All I know is I got a nasty PM from "Earl" this morning, I posted it for the world to see, and within an hour or two "Earl" had been banned. This truely is a Nazi forum.

opethmike
05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I never saw the nasty back and forth messages on the forum. All I know is I got a nasty PM from "Earl" this morning, I posted it for the world to see, and within an hour or two "Earl" had been banned. This truely is a Nazi forum.

So stop posting here then if you object so much.

thirdmanj
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM

I shoulda posted mine and Earl's pm conversation too. But I'm glad yours did the trick.

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 02:56 PM
So stop posting here then if you object so much.

Huh? What are you saying I object to? I would have enjoyed seeing the drama.

opethmike
05-30-2012, 03:03 PM
How is calling it a Nazi forum not objecting? Bringing Nazis into it is pretty severe!

thirdmanj
05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
How is calling it a Nazi forum not objecting? Bringing Nazis into it is pretty severe!

Godwin's Law strikes again.

dvonk
05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Godwin's Law strikes again.

:lol:

stevedmc
05-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Chad is a Nazi.

Ashyukun
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Well, not to distract from forum drama, but... :lol:

I've not posted anything about it yet, but with the 850 mile drive down to DCS in a bit over a week (I'm going down early for a short vacation on the beach...), I thought it might be wise to put this down for others to think about/discuss.

Last summer I started having some weird issues with the car- it was intermittent at first, and then got worse to the point that it was undrivable when it would act up. It would idle halfway normally, but would then stumble and hesitate around 3500 RPM or if I tried going any higher. When it REALLY acted up, it would simply not start at all. I initially thought it was the choke, but no adjusting fixed it. I played with the mixture screws, and no luck there either. I consulted with Bill about it, but he was firmly convinced that it had to be ANYTHING but the carb that was causing the problems. Eventually I tracked down a shop with an expert on carburetors, and the car spent most of the winter months there (they didn't work on it nearly all that time, I just didn't push them much at all on it so they didn't prioritize it).

Eventually they worked out that they thought the problem was that the fuel pump (the standard Autozone low-pressure fuel pump) was putting out to much pressure and was forcing the carb to run extremely rich by dumping fuel down it (and the plugs corroborated this diagnosis). Some research found that the carb doesn't want much over 6psi, and the pump can put out up to 9psi or so. I had a few low-pressure fuel pressure regulators due to needing to solve a similar issue with a SBC in another vehicle, so I had the shop install one of those set to 6psi (mounted to the valve cover and in line between the fuel filter and carb)- and the car has run like a champ since then.

I figured it was something the others with the same fuel pumps and carbs might want to know- it's quite possible that I just have a really touchy carb or that I've just had pumps that have put out more than they should pressure-wise, but it's also possible this is something others might encounter. Thankfully it was a rather inexpensive fix parts-wise (and the shop didn't charge me that much more than an in-depth diagnostic fee).

stevedmc
06-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm wondering if a rebuild would have solved the problem. The rebuild kits come with a new needle valve that has a small gasket attached to it. It is possible the gasket on your needle could be getting worn out.

Farrar
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
When my needle valve was not properly clipped, I had the opposite problem -- fuel would spill out so fast that the bowl would fill and the engine would die at idle. That was definitely my fault, by the way -- I wasn't paying attention when I put everything back together.

You could perhaps purchase a small adjustable fuel pressure regulator (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Adjustable-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-1-6-psi-/230789046267?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D230615915236%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8 841320192264472116) and set it to 6 PSI, which is what I am told the 2100 series carburetor prefers. I was thinking of doing that myself when I have $35 to spare on an experiment.

dvonk
06-01-2012, 11:17 PM
i had a similar issue with fuel pouring out of a carb and flooding the engine after a rebuild... turns out the float arm wasnt properly adjusted and the needle wasnt seating fully; thus not sealing off the fuel flow.

Spittybug
06-02-2012, 07:57 AM
i had a similar issue with fuel pouring out of a carb and flooding the engine after a rebuild... turns out the float arm wasnt properly adjusted and the needle wasnt seating fully; thus not sealing off the fuel flow.

+1

stevedmc
07-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I had cereal for breakfast today.

dvonk
07-23-2012, 12:17 AM
i too enjoy carbs for breakfast.

stevedmc
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Does this mean the moderators will be changing the title of this thread soon?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?93-Farrar-s-car-blog&p=67727&viewfull=1#post67727

The Aviator
06-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Can I guys post pictures of ur fuel pump setups ?

The Aviator
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I've figured out my fuel pump carrier, I now need to learn bout what u boys do for ignition?

Doesn't the stock distributor work off a ignition box somewhere? When u delete the engines EEC does that screw up the distributor?

Farrar
07-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Can I guys post pictures of ur fuel pump setups ?

Oops! Sorry, I didn't see this until just now. Here you go:

Note: I still use the band clamp for the fuel pump boot, even though I forgot about it for the picture.

Now to your more recent post...

I've figured out my fuel pump carrier, I now need to learn bout what u boys do for ignition?

Doesn't the stock distributor work off a ignition box somewhere? When u delete the engines EEC does that screw up the distributor?

To my knowledge, no one who has carbed their DeLorean has deleted the strock ignition module, for the reason you just stated.

Bill Robertson has modified one of his DeLoreans to run a Duraspark ignition module instead of the stock Bosch one, but I don't have any details as to how he did it, or if he noted any gains in performance. Sorry!

Andrew
06-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Can anyone confirm the horsepower difference between a Delorean running a carb vs a stock K-jet? Of course this assumes a properly adjusted carb and an a properly functioning K-jet system both with a stock exhaust system to compare apples to apples.

By the way, is anyone with a carbed D running a Stage 1 style exhaust sytems?

Thanks,

Andrew

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Can anyone confirm the horsepower difference between a Delorean running a carb vs a stock K-jet? Of course this assumes a properly adjusted carb and an a properly functioning K-jet system both with a stock exhaust system to compare apples to apples.

By the way, is anyone with a carbed D running a Stage 1 style exhaust sytems?

Thanks,

Andrew

While I can't objectively confirm anything with proofs, I can tell you that after having ridden in Bill's car at DCS, it was definitely faster / more powerful than a completely stock car, such as mine. Bill attributes this to a number of his modifications working together to accomplish such results, including his spec .01 exhaust, his HEI, obviously his method of fuel delivery, etc.

Michael
06-30-2014, 06:46 PM
While I can't objectively confirm anything with proofs, I can tell you that after having ridden in Bill's car at DCS, it was definitely faster / more powerful than a completely stock car, such as mine. Bill attributes this to a number of his modifications working together to accomplish such results, including his spec .01 exhaust, his HEI, obviously his method of fuel delivery, etc.

Isn't he running a different block?

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Isn't he running a different block?

I believe he is, thus for I all I know, his compression could also be different, which would substantially effect power, though he never mentions this as being a reason as to why his car is faster....

Andrew
06-30-2014, 11:07 PM
He is running a different engine. I was researching the carb topic and found a post in which he detailed the different engine mounts. From what I read the engine started its life as a carburated Peugeot barge powertrain. I don't know whether the compression is the same however.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

NightFlyer
07-01-2014, 12:04 AM
He is running a different engine. I was researching the carb topic and found a post in which he detailed the different engine mounts. From what I read the engine started its life as a carburated Peugeot barge powertrain. I don't know whether the compression is the same however.

OK - yeah, I should have known that, as he constantly references how his engine doesn't have any injector bungs.

DCUK Martin
07-01-2014, 02:49 AM
You can't run a stock exhaust with a carb or you'll kill the catalyst. A less restricted intake is about all you gain with a carb all other things being equal

NightFlyer
07-02-2014, 12:15 AM
You can't run a stock exhaust with a carb or you'll kill the catalyst. A less restricted intake is about all you gain with a carb all other things being equal

OK, I'll bite.

Why can't you run a DeLorean catalytic converter in conjunction with a carb? Is there something special about the D's cat vs the millions of other carbureted cars that use a catalytic converter in their exhaust systems? I don't get why the cat would care one way the other about the method of fuel delivery that the engine is utilizing.

In my mind anyway, the cat would only care about how complete of a combustion you're achieving of the air/fuel mixture during the power stroke, which is a function of compression and ignition, but nothing at all to do with the method of fuel delivery to the intake.

So, what am I missing here?

DCUK Martin
07-02-2014, 02:51 AM
The delorean has a 3 way cat. Accurate mixture control in both directions is essential to maintain emissions and the catalyst. Some late carb systems have some form of closed loop system as I understand it but they're rare

Farrar
07-02-2014, 11:57 AM
If you want more power from your engine, you will need to change the engine itself, not its method of fuel delivery. The only difference I noticed when I went from K-Jet to carb on my stock engine was a slightly faster throttle response. The reason I went to carb in the first place was so that I would have a running DeLorean while I could fix other stuff -- I was having some difficulty keeping up with all the stuff on the car that needed attention at the same time that K-Jet was beginning to break down. That's just my experience.

There are more performance upgrades for the PRV available now than ever before, including freer-flowing header/exhaust, turbochargers, and cams. I think DPI has even installed a 3.0L with supercharger at one point. Those upgrades cost more money than a carburetor, but will get you REAL performance.

As for catalytic converters, I still have the catalytic converters on my car that were installed in 2004. I have been carbureted since 2008. However, I have probably put less than 10,000 miles on the car since the change to carburetor, and I tend to jet my carb for economy rather than performance. (Not much point in expecting performance from my car -- it's an automatic.)

I wouldn't take the decision lightly. A carburetor is not a magic bullet. It is only part of one system on the car. If you are having problems with K-Jet and you are a "carb guy" and find carburetors easier to understand and work on, then you might wish to switch. However, if you're having other problems that are not related to fuel-delivery, my advice is to fix those first, and then see if you're not really that fed up with K-Jet after all.

Bottom line: If you are experiencing a lack of power, I would rule out fuel delivery as a source of that problem before considering making any changes.

NightFlyer
07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
The delorean has a 3 way cat. Accurate mixture control in both directions is essential to maintain emissions and the catalyst. Some late carb systems have some form of closed loop system as I understand it but they're rare

So then all the owners who are running their lambda systems open loop with k-jet are in essence killing their catalytic converters, right?

And yet, I've never heard of any of those owner's failing an emissions test or having a back-pressure issue due to a plugged up catalyst.

Not to mention that several owners who have converted over to carbs are still running their stock exhaust, and to my knowledge anyway, not a single one has reported any catalyst related problems/issues.

The theory appears to be that precise mixture control is necessary for the catalyst to survive, however, the practical experience of such is that perhaps the catalyst is a bit more robust than the theory suggests - would that be a fair assessment?

NightFlyer
07-02-2014, 05:03 PM
If you want more power from your engine, you will need to change the engine itself, not its method of fuel delivery. The only difference I noticed when I went from K-Jet to carb on my stock engine was a slightly faster throttle response. The reason I went to carb in the first place was so that I would have a running DeLorean while I could fix other stuff -- I was having some difficulty keeping up with all the stuff on the car that needed attention at the same time that K-Jet was beginning to break down. That's just my experience.

There are more performance upgrades for the PRV available now than ever before, including freer-flowing header/exhaust, turbochargers, and cams. I think DPI has even installed a 3.0L with supercharger at one point. Those upgrades cost more money than a carburetor, but will get you REAL performance.

As for catalytic converters, I still have the catalytic converters on my car that were installed in 2004. I have been carbureted since 2008. However, I have probably put less than 10,000 miles on the car since the change to carburetor, and I tend to jet my carb for economy rather than performance. (Not much point in expecting performance from my car -- it's an automatic.)

I wouldn't take the decision lightly. A carburetor is not a magic bullet. It is only part of one system on the car. If you are having problems with K-Jet and you are a "carb guy" and find carburetors easier to understand and work on, then you might wish to switch. However, if you're having other problems that are not related to fuel-delivery, my advice is to fix those first, and then see if you're not really that fed up with K-Jet after all.

Bottom line: If you are experiencing a lack of power, I would rule out fuel delivery as a source of that problem before considering making any changes.

That's good advice :thumbup:

Nicholas R
07-02-2014, 07:02 PM
So then all the owners who are running their lambda systems open loop with k-jet are in essence killing their catalytic converters, right?

And yet, I've never heard of any of those owner's failing an emissions test or having a back-pressure issue due to a plugged up catalyst.

Not to mention that several owners who have converted over to carbs are still running their stock exhaust, and to my knowledge anyway, not a single one has reported any catalyst related problems/issues.

The theory appears to be that precise mixture control is necessary for the catalyst to survive, however, the practical experience of such is that perhaps the catalyst is a bit more robust than the theory suggests - would that be a fair assessment?

Well... actually, in 2007, my car was running open loop on thanksgiving, and I was driving home when the car stalled. I got out to look at the engine and could see something glowing under the car. It was my catalytic converter glowing red. I remember this vividly because neither my mother or my girlfriend at the time were happy about the possibility of us missing thanksgiving dinner due to, (as it was commonly referred to at the time), "that f&*$in' DeLorean. (it wasn't that reliable back then)

Turned out I was running lean due to plugged injectors, melted the catalyst, and all but completely plugged up the cat. I was able to limp the car home, driving a few minutes, then stopping to let it cool. Later on I pulled the exhaust off the car and completely hollowed out the plugged catalytic converter. I still always ran open loop after that, but always made a point to set the mixture by using the voltage from the O2 sensor, instead of just what sounded good.

I know this is just one instance but it's still one :)

NightFlyer
07-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Well... actually, in 2007, my car was running open loop on thanksgiving, and I was driving home when the car stalled. I got out to look at the engine and could see something glowing under the car. It was my catalytic converter glowing red. I remember this vividly because neither my mother or my girlfriend at the time were happy about the possibility of us missing thanksgiving dinner due to, (as it was commonly referred to at the time), "that f&*$in' DeLorean. (it wasn't that reliable back then)

Turned out I was running lean due to plugged injectors, melted the catalyst, and all but completely plugged up the cat. I was able to limp the car home, driving a few minutes, then stopping to let it cool. Later on I pulled the exhaust off the car and completely hollowed out the plugged catalytic converter. I still always ran open loop after that, but always made a point to set the mixture by using the voltage from the O2 sensor, instead of just what sounded good.

I know this is just one instance but it's still one :)

Ah, but you attribute the issue to other components not operating as efficiently as they should (namely the injectors) and an incorrect CO adjustment, and not solely to the fact that you were running open loop, right? My original statement was premised on everything else in the system operating normally.

While a carb (or at least the kind that most owners are running) doesn't allow for analysis of exhaust and on-the-fly adjustments being made to the AFR by a supplemental system (such as our lambda), they're also a lot less complex and don't rely heavily upon on the optimal operation of other components in the system, as the k-jet mechanical fuel injection system does.

Josh
07-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Open loop does not take input from the O2 sensor to correct the air fuel mixture. So the car can only run on the pre-determined fuel map. So in some cases the AFRs can go high or low. High would cause the engine to run lean giving you poor performance, high combustion temperatures (not good for pistons and valves), and effectively killing your cat.

No carb setup Ive seen on a delorean (or most cars for that matter) integrate any sort of O2 based mixture correction

NightFlyer
07-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Open loop does not take input from the O2 sensor to correct the air fuel mixture. So the car can only run on the pre-determined fuel map. So in some cases the AFRs can go high or low. High would cause the engine to run lean giving you poor performance, high combustion temperatures (not good for pistons and valves), and effectively killing your cat.

Or in the case of a mechanical system, as good as the rest of the system has been adjusted and is operating.

dustybarn
07-03-2014, 01:24 AM
No carb setup Ive seen on a delorean (or most cars for that matter) integrate any sort of O2 based mixture correction

In the '80s there were quite a few carbureted cars that had three-way catalysts and lambda control. The sole reason for the oxygen sensor is to keep the catalyst happy. A three-way catalyst needs to have a feedstream that oscillates about stoichiometry in order to simultaneously oxidize CO and hydrocarbons, AND reduce oxides of nitrogen. Without a 3-way catalyst there is little reason to have an O2 sensor. Peculiarly, the engine-out emissions are poor at stoichiometry, but the resulting improvement in catalyst efficiency more than makes up for it.

That being said, a wide-range oxygen sensor can be a valuable tuning tool, even with carbs. On my car I have a Renault Alpine GTA Atmo carbureted intake system, but I nevertheless replaced the stock sensor with a Bosch wide range one, with the A/F ratio displayed on a dashboard instrument. It was invaluable in helping adjust the idle mixture and re-jet the carbs.

DCUK Martin
07-03-2014, 02:51 AM
In addition to the other great replies, look out for delorean with bulges in the centre of the rear fascia. This is a sign of a dead cat where the guts have accumulated in the muffler and caused heat build-up. Many stock cats are now long since dead with the owners oblivious.

Nicholas R
07-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Ah, but you attribute the issue to other components not operating as efficiently as they should (namely the injectors) and an incorrect CO adjustment, and not solely to the fact that you were running open loop, right? My original statement was premised on everything else in the system operating normally.

While a carb (or at least the kind that most owners are running) doesn't allow for analysis of exhaust and on-the-fly adjustments being made to the AFR by a supplemental system (such as our lambda), they're also a lot less complex and don't rely heavily upon on the optimal operation of other components in the system, as the k-jet mechanical fuel injection system does.

I agree that I do attribute the root of the lean condition to plugged injectors, however; it does show that catalytic converters are not infallible. Even if it had not been plugged injectors, the car could have just as easily had a miss adjusted fuel mixture. Lean mixture is just as easy to have on a carb as it is to have on an open loop K-Jet. Technically, I think it is less likely to have a lean condition on a properly setup closed loop system.

Also, the main reason I posted is because you said you had never heard of a car with back pressure issues due to a failed catalyst; now you have :wink:

As a side note, I just want to say that having said all of this, I am still a fan of running open loop over closed loop on DeLoreans. Just make sure to properly set the mixture. Even after burning up my cat, I always ran my PRV open loop; especially after putting the UK SS exhaust on. UK SS Exhaust with open loop mixture adjusted via Cliffs exhaust gas analyzer was when I put down my best ever PRV dyno run; 99.7hp!! :D

In addition to the other great replies, look out for delorean with bulges in the centre of the rear fascia. This is a sign of a dead cat where the guts have accumulated in the muffler and caused heat build-up. Many stock cats are now long since dead with the owners oblivious.

This was actually my first thought in this discussion. After 30 years (often with years and years of sitting dormant) how many original catalytic converters are even still functioning?

RoyHinkley
07-03-2014, 10:04 PM

I heard Bills PRV was designed to operate a bilge on a barge.

SProfita
02-24-2016, 02:53 PM
IMO the carb conversion is a genius alternative to fuel delivery on a DMC...im sure others have thought about it, and maybe there are possible plans in the works. Here in my town aircraft capitol of the world we have tons of machine shops that could possibly CAD desighn/reverse engineer a peugot mani to make in bulk. While it may increase the price, could be made in bulk kits and sold. But who knows if its worth it for a vehicle in which 8,000 cars exist... maybe the "new" models will be carbed... 

Soundkillr
02-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Please avoid double posting. This is the exact post you have in another thread.

The Aviator
06-05-2016, 03:28 PM
is farrer still around? i haven't talked to him in years

Dangermouse
06-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Yes, he's still around. Getting his car overhauled at the moment I think.

Haven't heard from David in a long time, though.

Farrar
06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm still around. #2613 is still around, too, but it hasn't run in about two years and it's currently in storage awaiting a replacement engine.

Welcome back, Aviator. :)

The Aviator
06-06-2016, 09:36 PM
glad to see your still around! I too am looking well saving for a donor engine. I want to keep my stock one and build the second one and do the swap

I did some reading the other night u lost compression on cylinder 5?

what are your plans for your new engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farrar
06-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I did some reading the other night u lost compression on cylinder 5?

No, that was Drew Guillory's car.

what are your plans for your new engine?

It will be a 3.0L.

The Aviator
06-08-2016, 08:19 AM
No, that was Drew Guillory's car.

It will be a 3.0L.

very nice plan!! 3.0 will be efi?

content22207_2
06-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Actually it will be the world's first 3.0 with a carburetor *AND* inductive ignition.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
06-08-2016, 12:24 PM
very nice plan!! 3.0 will be efi?

Bill beat me to an answer here:

Actually it will be the world's first 3.0 with a carburetor *AND* inductive ignition.

Inside story: Bill has worked out a way to adapt a traditional distributor to the 3.0L engine. He has also determined that my current carburetor and intake manifold setup (a Motorcraft 2150 on his welded manifold) will also work with the addition of adapter plates.

Of course, Bill is tremendously busy right now. In March, I took advantage of a friend's empty trailer to get #2613 up to Spartanburg, and from there Bill used his tow dolly to get it to his place. It is waiting for some time in Bill's schedule for me to go up there and the two of us will perform surgery at that time. This will happen in August, at the earliest, so for now #2613 is in hibernation:

The Aviator
06-08-2016, 05:18 PM
sounds like you guys have a plan!! are you going to document everything?!

Farrar
06-08-2016, 05:23 PM
sounds like you guys have a plan!! are you going to document everything?!

Yes, I plan to get photos and/or video.

I will probably document the operation with a thread here on DMCTalk after we're done. Here's hoping...

content22207_2
06-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Summer Camp starts Friday, so the next two months are a quash. As Farrar stated, we're looking to August.

I've already test fitted the distributor. I am 99.9875% sure it will work.

I've also mocked up intake manifold adapter plates with full size templates -- again, high probability of success (I've seen pictures of 2.8 to 3.0 adapter plates in the past -- this isn't totally uncharted territory, though the design will be new to us).

Same with the motor mount adapters -- our intention is to replicate what is already on my car (3.0 motor mounts are totally different from 2.8, both in shape and in location).

Bill Robertson

dvonk
07-19-2016, 09:28 AM
...Haven't heard from David in a long time, though.

this is true. i am, however, still alive.

it seems ive been inactive on the forum for around 3 years, so im sure there a bunch of noobs who dont know who the 'blue car guy' is. :lol:

the past few years ive been delving into my long-time hobby of film photography, while passively adding to my 'DeLorean Fund.' as you can see from my 'Obtain-o-meter,' i have exceeded my initial funding goal. i will continue to add to the Fund, until my lifelong obsession with owning a DeLorean is fulfilled.

also, as it seems that since Bill Robertson is back on the forum, perhaps mine is not the name to be included on this thread's title... he knows exponentially more about carbing a DeLorean than i do.

Farrar
07-19-2016, 11:51 AM
also, as it seems that since Bill Robertson is back on the forum, perhaps mine is not the name to be included on this thread's title... he knows exponentially more about carbing a DeLorean than i do.

Me, too.

P.S. Nice to see you're still around, and congrats on reaching your funding goal! :)

dvonk
07-19-2016, 12:22 PM
thank you, Farrar. :smile:

my funding goal was set as a modest personal minimum for a basic car based on my previous standard of living. now that i work for the railroad, the goal seems a little meager, and i will continue to save until i find a vehicle that strikes my fancy. of course, the more i save, the better it gets... so patience is a virtue, i suppose. ive been waiting 20 years, whats a little longer, right? :lol:

although, my masochistic side seems to enjoy the idea of a basket-case 'rescue' type... :wrenchin:

Farrar
07-19-2016, 06:33 PM
my masochistic side seems to enjoy the idea of a basket-case 'rescue' type... :wrenchin:

As long as you have a reliable car to fall back on, it's a sound plan. My DeLorean used to be the backup car. Now my daily's in the shop and I'm housebound. I can tell you it's not a pleasant situation to be in. :P