PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Headlights

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 03:43 PM
So I've done some research with our cross-over lists and upgrade threads but I didn't get a good, solid sense of which way to go on my question here.

My question is which headlights are the best, brightest ones to buy without modifying the stock set-up. Whatever I have now is terrible. In fact, terrible doesn't even begin to cover it. My high beams are incredible, but my low beams give me about 10 half-assed, miserable feet in front of the car. Yes, I have played around with angles and directions and this is the best I got.

DMC5180
02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
The Best Stock replacements are SILVERSTARS.

The Best Performance option are (DMCH Kit) CIBIE housings w H-4, H-1 Bulbs. Put Silverstar Ultra bulbs (Not Included) in the housing for best performance. No major modification here either. I'm sure it comes with plug adapters.

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 03:58 PM
The Best Stock replacements are SILVERSTARS.

The Best Performance option are CIBIE housings w H-4, H-1 Bulbs. The DMCH kit.

Thanks Denis,

So these ones:

H4656 (low beams)
H4651 (high beams)

and these ones (http://store.delorean.com/p-10221-headlight-upgrade-kit.aspx)

thirdmanj
02-12-2012, 03:58 PM
You drive at night?! LoL, jus' kidin'. Ive got the xenon headlights that DMCH was pushing a few years back. I'm most impressed by their performance.

DMC5180
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks Denis,

So these ones:

H4656 (low beams)
H4651 (high beams)

and these ones (http://store.delorean.com/p-10221-headlight-upgrade-kit.aspx)

Yup,

Silverstar version of those Numbers H4656ST , H4651ST (I think).

Elvis
02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
As sealed beams are not allowed over here in the old world, we use H4 and H1.

but watch out - H4 have 55W and 60W instead of the original 35W !

You have two swap two pins of the bulb connectors. Easy to do, I just wanted to remind.

It then also makes sense to swap the fuses to the next higher rated ones as
they get hotter during normal operation.

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 05:35 PM
As sealed beams are not allowed over here in the old world, we use H4 and H1.

but watch out - H4 have 55W and 60W instead of the original 35W !

You have two swap two pins of the bulb connectors. Easy to do, I just wanted to remind.

It then also makes sense to swap the fuses to the next higher rated ones as
they get hotter during normal operation.

I'm looking at them on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4656ST-SilverStar-Performance-Headlight/dp/B000AMW0GA). They're about $10 cheaper per light then at my local parts store.

They're 55W. So I can't just plug them in I have to swap a wire?

DMC5180
02-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm looking at them on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4656ST-SilverStar-Performance-Headlight/dp/B000AMW0GA). They're about $10 cheaper per light then at my local parts store.

They're 55W. So I can't just plug them in I have to swap a wire?

No, Those just plug in.

It's the H-4 bulbs that require a wire swap or adapter harness

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
No, Those just plug in.

It's the H-4 bulbs that require a wire swap or adapter harness

Gotcha.

Thanks for all the help Denis.

$35 bucks for decent low beams is a steal. I doubt I'll do the high beams right now, they almost never get used. It would just be ugly to have different colours of light.

DMCMW Dave
02-12-2012, 07:13 PM
The Silverstars are definitely brighter than stock (so is a candle). The only issue I've seen with them (there is no free lunch) is that they don't last as long.

Be careful with aftermarket fixtures that use the H4/H1 bulbs - there is some real trash on ebay in that regard. The $10 Chinese sets are awful. Very low grade plastic, they will probably melt.

I have to admit that early on I was a skeptic about the ones that we sell (never having seen a set). Then I installed a set on a car. They really are a huge improvement.

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
The Silverstars are definitely brighter than stock (so is a candle). The only issue I've seen with them (there is no free lunch) is that they don't last as long.

Be careful with aftermarket fixtures that use the H4/H1 bulbs - there is some real trash on ebay in that regard. The $10 Chinese sets are awful. Very low grade plastic, they will probably melt.

I have to admit that early on I was a skeptic about the ones that we sell (never having seen a set). Then I installed a set on a car. They really are a huge improvement.

I'm not sure how old mine are. I know one has a ding/hole in it that allows it to fog up and a couple are mis-matched. Either way they are dangerously dim. When you need to slow down from 45 mph at night to avoid over driving your headlamps, it's time for a new set.

I've heard the silverstars only last a year or two, but hopefully as the car isn't a DD they'll last a little longer.

What is the brand that DMC uses to make up it's updated kit (the one for over $300)?

Bitsyncmaster
02-12-2012, 07:29 PM

My daily driver has a connector that must be one of thoses low grade ones. The OEM headlight connectors on my car are very tight connectors. I had to pry them off when I was working on them. That is the only place I now use some grease on connector pins.

DMCMW Dave
02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
What is the brand that DMC uses to make up it's updated kit (the one for over $300)?

Trade secret :evilgrin: - but it was mentioned in post #2 above. The set does come with all 4 housings, sockets, insulators, bulbs, and wiring adapters for the high beams. They are not a cheap setup.

sdg3205
02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Trade secret :evilgrin:

Hahah, I tried!

DMC5180
02-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I've heard the silverstars only last a year or two, but hopefully as the car isn't a DD they'll last a little longer.

Yes that's true under normal driving habits

I use Silverstar Ultras in my DD I don't make it a year. But, I average 36K mi a year. 18K is nighttime driving.

So, in a D that could be 5 - 10 yrs or more depending on your driving habits

DMCMW Dave
02-12-2012, 09:04 PM
So, in a D that could be 5 - 10 yrs or more depending on your driving habits

Probably true, considering the OEM bulbs have made it 31 years on most of the cars . . . . .

DMC5180
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Funny thing about Silverstars when one does burn out you replace both off them or at the very least buy a 2 bulb pack. The other WILL burnout with in 1-3 weeks. I've tracked it to a scientific degree.(old faithful hasn't let me down yet) I've got lots of experience changing them.

WelmoedJ
02-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Probably true, considering the OEM bulbs have made it 31 years on most of the cars . . . . .

For the majority of the cars that will be usage of a couple of weeks/months :)

BTW: In Europe - as Elvis said - we mostly use the Hella units with H4 55 (low)/60 (high) Watt bulbs.
I use the Philips 55/60W as they have a stronger light beam.

The other option is Xenon, but that requires new units and changes to the system.

In all cases the correct setting of the beam is the way to go.
According to most countries laws the drop of the low beam should be 10 mm over a distance of 1 meter (in your country's measurements this is 0.39370" drop over 3.28084 ft).
If you have a drop that gives a 10 ft beam(s end), you obviously have a bad "alignment".

Bitsyncmaster
02-13-2012, 07:03 AM
If other cars are flashing their lights at you, your low beams are set to high. But if you look when following another car, if your seeing your lights above his trunk they are also to high.

Thats how I set my low beams.

Chris 16409
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Trade secret :evilgrin: - but it was mentioned in post #2 above. The set does come with all 4 housings, sockets, insulators, bulbs, and wiring adapters for the high beams. They are not a cheap setup.

As a result of my front end collision, the insurance company is picking up the tab for a set of the DMCH upgraded headlights. Unfortunately, they are not in stock at the moment :(, and I have been playing the wating game. In order to get my car back, I had the body shop fit SilverStar low beams and "regular" Sylvania high beams until I get the upgrade kit. I hope DMC gets them back in stock soon.