PDA

View Full Version : General Gulf Coast DeLoreans?

Farrar
06-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I couldn't post this in the "Regional Forums" section, so here it is.

Is there any interest in a club/group for the Gulf Coast folks? There seem to be quite a few of us in southeast Lousiana, Mississippi, and the Florida panhandle, and it would be nice to get the word out about get-togethers and such.

"Gulf Coast DeLoreans" anyone?

Farrar

stevedmc
06-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I say we ask Sean or Mike if we can start a thread under clubs called Louisiana Delorean Owners.

Btw, Fred wants to do something July 9th. He mentioned having a tech day and going to a cruise in that night.

Farrar
06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Well, I was hoping to include the folks in MS, AL, and the Florida panhandle -- there are a number of car events throughout each year all along the coast.

Anyway, July 9 looks good for me. I should have a/c by then.

Farrar

stevedmc
06-07-2011, 04:44 PM
We should try to have a meet in Biloxi or somewhere along the coast some day. Years ago I used to drive out to Mobile to meet up with a few Delorean owners I once know. Maybe I could get some guys in Mobile to join us if we ever did a coast thing.

Mike C.
06-07-2011, 05:19 PM
The actual "clubs" sections are locked for new threads and individual posts and such, but if you all would like to get a group going based on this thread, we'll be more than happy to set a group up for you!

BigBenb84
06-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Mary Esther, FL...or basically next to Pensacola here. Its to damn hot to drive my car now. Yes I have working AC but shut the car off for 2 minutes in the sun and its a never ending battle to cool it back down.

Farrar
06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
The actual "clubs" sections are locked for new threads and individual posts and such, but if you all would like to get a group going based on this thread, we'll be more than happy to set a group up for you!

Mike, that would be great. Can we call it Gulf Coast DeLoreans for now? I know technically Texas is on the Gulf Coast but they already have their own club. :p

Thanks!
Farrar

content22207
06-08-2011, 05:31 PM
,,, Its to damn hot to drive my car now....

I have come to the studied conclusion that the nice designers in Hethel had no concept of the American South.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
06-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I have come to the studied conclusion that the nice designers in Hethel had no concept of the American South.

I dunno, some folks in the hottest climates (e.g. Texas) seem to have no problems with their a/c -- I think there are a lot of 1981-2-built systems out there that need to be flushed or updated to cool correctly. I believe that once I get my evaporator fixed or replaced and the new orifice tube, Sparky's a/c will be just fine.

Farrar

content22207
06-08-2011, 06:24 PM
The system as designed really struggles to cool the cabin in direct sunlight.

People from higher latitudes have no concept of direct sunlight. Southern sun is a killer. It bleaches the color out of everything it touches. It fries plastic to a crisp. It will even cause cloth to disintegrate.

Southern sun causes every bit as much damage as northern road salt (different type of damage of course, but same magnitude). Any Southern owner who doesn't use a dash mat is asking for trouble.

When I went to DC last week to retrieve my DeLorean, I accidentally left a bottle of lemonade sitting on the service truck. Four days later the sun had bleached all the artificial color out of it. It still tasted like lemonade, but the liquid was clear, not yellow. That's how powerful Southern sun is.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
06-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Bill, maybe you should get your windows tinted. The previous owner of my car did that, and it makes a big difference. The tinted windows in my daily driver also help keep things cooler as the car sits in the sun. Protects the interior, too.

Farrar

content22207
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
During the summer months I generally drive my DeLorean after dark (hence all the courtesy lights, modified tail lights, etc). I definitely don't want the sun shining on my lenses. I'm not too keen about it shining on my fascias either, even with 2" wide eyebrow bars.

I do drive during winter daylight -- one of the advantages of living down South (no road salt).

Bill Robertson

Mike C.
06-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Mike, that would be great. Can we call it Gulf Coast DeLoreans for now? I know technically Texas is on the Gulf Coast but they already have their own club. :p

Thanks!
Farrar

No problem. Will have you set up shortly as GCD - Gulf Coast DeLoreans so you all can use the section to help get organized.

People from higher latitudes have no concept of direct sunlight. Southern sun is a killer. It bleaches the color out of everything it touches. It fries plastic to a crisp. It will even cause cloth to disintegrate.

Southern sun causes every bit as much damage as northern road salt (different type of damage of course, but same magnitude). Any Southern owner who doesn't use a dash mat is asking for trouble.

When I went to DC last week to retrieve my DeLorean, I accidentally left a bottle of lemonade sitting on the service truck. Four days later the sun had bleached all the artificial color out of it. It still tasted like lemonade, but the liquid was clear, not yellow. That's how powerful Southern sun is.

Bill Robertson

Agree 100%. First purchase was a dash mat, and never looked back. You can actually see the sun has started to bleach the black mat slightly from when I first got it.

dmc6960
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Couple key things about AC...

Yes, the sun is an absolute killer. It will pump more heat into the cabin then the AC has capacity. Add that if the car has already been sitting in the sun, EVERY interior component now has a major heat soak which will continue to radiate its heat until brought under control (very hard to do if still in the sun!). Take the sun/heat soak out of the equation, and even a crappy AC system will do a decent job cooling the car. Just two days ago Minneapolis had a record high of 103º. However my car sat in the garage until evening when I took it out to test my computer fix. That car was an icebox 5 minutes after leaving, had to turn the fan down to 2 and AC to Norm, eventually fan went down to 1. It was still over 100º outside, but the sun was very tinted behind an orange haze from the AZ wildfires. The lesson of all this, TINT. And also, I really hope DMC has some UV/IR tinting built into their new windshields. It would really be a shame to loose that opportunity during the production phase.

Dangermouse
06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Can we call it Gulf Coast DeLoreans for now? I know technically Texas is on the Gulf Coast but they already have their own club. :p

r

What, not the Redneck Riviera Delorean Club ?

*runs away and hides :)

content22207
06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Says the man from Georgia (squeal like a pig?).

Bill Robertson

dvonk
06-16-2011, 10:01 PM
:lol: