PDA

View Full Version : DPI Spec 2 engine package

opethmike
02-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I recently finished installing the DPI Spec 2 engine package. This included a set of ported cylinder heads, aggressive camshafts, exhaust headers, high flow cats, and a high flow muffler.

The installation took me approximately 16-20 hours or so. I work fairly slowly, and very thoroughly, so your time may be less. It certainly is not a quick job though; as we are talking about replacing the cylinder heads, and the entire exhaust system.

Today was my first time driving the installation, so no dyno numbers yet. But the gains are certainly significant. The car pulls hard all the way through redline; and put me back in my seat when I went wide open throttle in 1st and 2nd gears.

Unlike a stock setup, the engine just simply does not run out of breath. It pulls from idle and never runs out of steam. The benefits of the ported heads and the exhaust are excellent. The cams have a good amount of lope/chop at idle, with a little bit of vibration, but without being overbearing.

The exhaust sound is similar - it is gruff, tough, and loud. But it is all of those things without being overbearing. Like Goldilocks would say, it is just right.

If you are looking for a very usable, very noticeable, and very fun boost in power without resorting to either forced induction, or an engine swap, this package is an excellent choice. It does take a fair bit of time, and skill to install, but if you are comfortable doing your own work, it is very feasible to install yourself.

The exhaust was $1,925. The heads were $995, and the camshafts were $695. Each kit came with all of the necessary hardware, gaskets, and o-rings for installation.

Here is a video of my car with the package installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crko6YvMGGU&list=UUGKf0mukzgg82QlHPklIQrg&index=1&feature=plcp

dvonk
02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
nice job, sounds awesome! ill definitely consider this upgrade when i get my D. :headbang:

Delorean Industries
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I will post details shortly on the break down of the different kit options. Mike obviously opted for purchasing the individual components instead of the complete kit due to having his EFI set up.

One note to correct from above. The prices listed on the cylinder heads and camshafts does not include the engine gasket kit or head bolts which are separate. Exhaust kit contents is correct though and includes everything mentioned in our SPEC I offering.

Glad you like the upgrade Mike! Great work!

Edit- I like how your entire bottom signature line is now DPI upgrades Mike!

opethmike
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks Josh. I appreciate the numerous after-hours support calls you provided.

Delorean Industries
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks Josh. I appreciate the numerous after-hours support calls you provided.

Any time!

Ozzie
02-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Congrats on completing your project, Mike.
Good job!
Sounds really good, too.

Grover
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Mike,

We will have to compare. I am in the process of a custom Spec II package, same as yours except I am going to add the High Compression Pistons and will be using the UK Stainless Exhaust. I do not have EFI though, so it will be interesting to compare our setups.

opethmike
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Mike,

We will have to compare. I am in the process of a custom Spec II package, same as yours except I am going to add the High Compression Pistons and will be using the UK Stainless Exhaust. I do not have EFI though, so it will be interesting to compare our setups.

That will be a very interesting comparison. There certainly will be some differences in how our cars drive, but I'm not sure how noticeable it will be. My fueling will likely be better throughout the upper end of the rev range, but your higher compression could make up for that.

Plus, it will be cool to hear the difference in the sound between the two exhausts, considering that the cams and heads will be the same.

Delorean Industries
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
That will be a very interesting comparison. There certainly will be some differences in how our cars drive, but I'm not sure how noticeable it will be. My fueling will likely be better throughout the upper end of the rev range, but your higher compression could make up for that.

Plus, it will be cool to hear the difference in the sound between the two exhausts, considering that the cams and heads will be the same.

The UK system will be much louder since it uses test pipes.

opethmike
02-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Ah. That will probably be too loud for my tastes then. The Spec 1 is at the perfect level for me; it is actually louder than my Corvette with a Corsa exhaust.

Delorean Industries
02-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Ah. That will probably be too loud for my tastes then. The Spec 1 is at the perfect level for me; it is actually louder than my Corvette with a Corsa exhaust.

The weather kept us from heading to Mi today for the Corvette. First thing is dropping a SW header and cat back system on board!

Jeremy Popp
02-25-2012, 07:48 PM

Not necessarily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsW8ioKW8OU

Delorean Industries
02-25-2012, 08:33 PM
I own cars with all of the exhaust system configurations and I was just speaking from my experience on this.

Ported heads on a uk system is louder compared to stock heads and camshafts with out the converters. Same goes for any system when camshafts and heads are changed.

Patrick C
02-25-2012, 10:18 PM

Not necessarily. There were 3 different versions of the UK exhaust available at one time: quiet, medium, and loud. Now they just sell the medium. I have the loud (possibly the first DMC exhaust they made) and find it sounds just right.

Delorean Industries
02-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Not necessarily. There were 3 different versions of the UK exhaust available at one time: quiet, medium, and loud. Now they just sell the medium. I have the loud (possibly the first DMC exhaust they made) and find it sounds just right.

I didn't know there were so many versions. I have a loud one for sure. Our SPEC I with test pipes is louder though. I make the judgement at 65 on the highway with the drone level.

Grover
02-27-2012, 09:32 AM

I'll be able to tell the difference as I got the system with both the Cat(s) and the test pipes. I need the CAT to pass emission inspection in NJ, and then I will be "testing" the system for the rest of the year :thumbup:

I can back this up, as I remember when I was looking at purchasing it a few years ago that there were three different options available.

Nicholas R
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I have the medium UK system and it is not quite as loud as Patrick's, but still has a much stronger tone to it than original. I thought it was perfect because you could get a good rev, but there was very little highway drone.

opethmike
03-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Spent the day driving the car around today; showing off the upgrades to a few friends. Put about 60 miles on the car.

I just can't get over how much I love the Spec 2 package, especially coupled with my EFI installation. The power-band is just so much more usable.

My Corvette's Corsa exhaust doesn't seem loud enough for me anymore after driving the DeLorean around all day. Definitely loud in the cabin on the highway, but its not an obnoxious drone. And the sound when I put the pedal down.... drool!