PDA

View Full Version : Queens Project Car for sale.

Dangermouse
06-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Queens Project Car for sale.

No, I don’t mean a DeLorean owned by QEII

Anyone in the market for an engineless car? Located in Queens NY? $6500 only. No affiliation.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2421753770.html

stevemac
06-08-2011, 08:51 AM
hi dermot have u seen this car in person do you know much about it ?????? has it a clean title

Dangermouse
06-08-2011, 11:39 AM
No, I know nothing about it.

Just know that there are always people on here looking for project cars, so thought I'd pass it on.

I shot the guy an email asking for more details, but no response as yet :(

DMC3165
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
If anyone wants me check this out, I'm in the area. It would give me something interesting to do on a Saturday.

kajcienski
06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
If anyone wants me check this out, I'm in the area. It would give me something interesting to do on a Saturday.

I live in the city and was maybe going to take a swing out to look at it tomorrow. I contacted the guy and he is available this week any day after 5pm to show the car. I can either report back to everyone or maybe I could wait and meet up for a look together - always great to meet another D owner in the area! PM me if interested, otherwise will take a swing out there tomorrow or Friday.

DMC3165
06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Did we maybe meet at the DMA spring social? Was your wife a Yankee fan? I had the Yankee jacket on. Anyway I'm slammed with stuff this week. Tomorrow (thursday) is my late day and Friday I'm Supposed to be doing a photo op with my D in Manhattan on Friday evening by 43rd and ninth. But still waiting to hear on that one. Saturday daytime is good for me if you want to meet upe then?

nofear365
06-09-2011, 07:32 AM
So pissed, I have a family obligation this weekend. I'd love to tag along...

DMC3165
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I sent them an e-mail this morning. No response yet. My gig in the city canceled on me so I'm free friday evening or Saturday.

kajcienski
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I sent them an e-mail this morning. No response yet. My gig in the city canceled on me so I'm free friday evening or Saturday.

Hi Chris - We did indeed met up at the Spring Social with my fiance! I remember the Yankees jacket :) I actually took a quick run out there early afternoon cause I had to be in queens anyway. I will gather the pictures and info and post within the hour. As a side note, it would be great to get the Manhattan/Queens D owners together for a drive, perhaps through the city... Any interest?

kajcienski
06-09-2011, 03:23 PM
So pissed, I have a family obligation this weekend. I'd love to tag along...

I just noticed you are from Staten Island - I am actually moving my D to the St. George area to keep over the summer. Are there any other owners in Staten Island you know of? Would love to meet up.

DMC3165
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Chris - We did indeed met up at the Spring Social with my fiance! I remember the Yankees jacket :) I actually took a quick run out there early afternoon cause I had to be in queens anyway. I will gather the pictures and info and post within the hour. As a side note, it would be great to get the Manhattan/Queens D owners together for a drive, perhaps through the city... Any interest?

Sure thing! I'm always looking for a DeLorean related activity
:)

How was the car? If its worth it I might still try to take a look at. If you don't think the owner would mind can you tell me approximately where its located?

kajcienski
06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Hello all! I just got back from seeing the D - below is some info you might find helpful if interested. I am not experienced much at all with car restoration but will try my best to pass on the most important info. I have also included pictures I took of the car.

The current owner (really nice guy, Marcelo, big car enthusiast) bought the car from a guy in Queens about 12 years back as I recall. At the time, although already in rough shape, it was running. He had it shipped to Houston with the intent of getting it restored at DMCH (who gave a quote of 20k+ to fully restore WITH the engine at that time). Soon after, I was told water got into the engine and it was pulled from the car. He then decided to hold on the restoration and the D was then shipped back to Queens sans engine and has sat in the sun ever since.

Some tech info:
August 81 build
VIN 3389
Automatic
Grey Interior
Grooved hood (no gas flap)
Locking gas cap
No engine, but otherwise a fairly complete car (Odometer reads 24k)

Cosmetic:
- Cosmetically the interior is in rough shape from extensive sun damage and would need a complete overhaul (dash/binnacle has major cracking, damage to console, etc...)
- Stainless is complete but there is damage to several panels which would need to be re-contoured - however there is no deep scratching that I saw and some panels appear to be in good shape
- Glass is good
- Major sun damage to intake moldings and engine louvre (the fiberglass is showing through), however they appear to have no cracking
- Fascias seem to be okay as far as very minimal warping - minor damage and of course paint loss
- Missing lower engine cover

He is asking $6,500 - however he is willing to negotiate, how much, who knows. If anyone has any questions, I can try to jog my memory.

Pics:

kajcienski
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Sure thing! I'm always looking for a DeLorean related activity
:)

How was the car? If its worth it I might still try to take a look at. If you don't think the owner would mind can you tell me approximately where its located?

Let's definitely plan a meet-up! The D is on 76th street off of Northern BLVD, 4 or 5 blocks from the Roosevelt Station stop. It is in a gated area so you will need to contact the owner to set up an appointment. It is definitely a hardcore project car, but might be a chance to snag a D cheap and do something custom.

Dangermouse
06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for going to see it. Guess we should have reminded you to look underneath at te frame and get some pics, though we can see some of it at the rear.

Well, the CO certainly hasn't over-sold it. ;) Definitely a project car

DMC3165
06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I have to be honest. Based on these pics this thing is wreck. If the CO disassembles it and sells the parts he definitely has $6500. In parts. But its just a parts car. The amount of money that would have to be put into this even if you did the work yourself would easily be 15K+ As a complete car I'd offer him 2K and go from there.

nofear365
06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I just noticed you are from Staten Island - I am actually moving my D to the St. George area to keep over the summer. Are there any other owners in Staten Island you know of? Would love to meet up.

I knew of 3 other owners on the island but I haven't seen any of them within the last 2 years at any of the local car shows. One guy was in the process of selling his due to unexpected unemployment.

Malevy
06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Based on the photos, I don't see how this is even a good parts car for $6500.

Everyone talks about the few "rare" parts you can sell from a parts car for big money (Torsion bar, and left fender come to mind), but maybe, if you are LUCKY, and wait a LONG time for the right buyer, you will get $2K for those parts. Then you can store the rest of the car and get another $1K-$2K for the rest of what MAY be salvageable.

I would not pay more than $2K for this car, assuming the torsion bars are good.. Of course, I would look to restore it and not part it out.

The question I have is, if the engine was damaged while at DMCH... why would they not be responsible for it? I wonder if James can confirm this guys story?

kajcienski
06-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Based on the photos, I don't see how this is even a good parts car for $6500.

Everyone talks about the few "rare" parts you can sell from a parts car for big money (Torsion bar, and left fender come to mind), but maybe, if you are LUCKY, and wait a LONG time for the right buyer, you will get $2K for those parts. Then you can store the rest of the car and get another $1K-$2K for the rest of what MAY be salvageable.

I would not pay more than $2K for this car, assuming the torsion bars are good.. Of course, I would look to restore it and not part it out.

The question I have is, if the engine was damaged while at DMCH... why would they not be responsible for it? I wonder if James can confirm this guys story?

I got a short peak underneath the car but couldn't really see much since it is sandwiched between a truck and another project car (low light) - not to mention the car is sitting close to the ground. Wish I could have taken a better look for you guys - what little I saw underneath looked pretty clean. The driver's side torsion bar had lift left in it and saw no damage to the bar - the passenger side door would not open (the handle is broken) so am not sure of the shape on that side. As far as the engine, we didn't get enough into the exact circumstance on why/when it was pulled out but I do not think it was pulled at DMCH - I think I recall the owner saying it happened at some point after this I believe while still in Texas as a result of water in the engine - but don't quote me. I am sure if you shoot him an email, he can give you a more accurate answer. The first thing I looked at was the left fender which disappointingly has been damaged near the fascia. The T-panel looked good and the doors looked pretty good other than minimal damage towards the bottom. There was minor damage to the other panels I saw as well. The hood looked great at first but has a pronounced crease line where the bracing is about 8 inches in from the fascia. The interior looked completely shot as I had mentioned - one of those situations where there was damage to basically every piece it seemed. The passenger window is down so the weather is coming in. If DMCH quoted him 20k+ for a restore back then, I am sure you are looking at some substantial issues. Hope that helps.

Delorean02378
06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Agree, this is most likely a parts car. I'm surprised a member of the Long Island club hasn't pulled the trigger on this yet. Then again, their wives would probably make them sleep in it if they brought home another Delorean. If the car can be purchased for about $3k, it's worth it.

kajcienski
06-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Agree, this is most likely a parts car. I'm surprised a member of the Long Island club hasn't pulled the trigger on this yet. Then again, their wives would probably make them sleep in it if they brought home another Delorean. If the car can be purchased for about $3k, it's worth it.

That is exactly what my fiance told me ;)

DMCMW Dave
06-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Careful - they are like puppies and will follow you home. ;)

kajcienski
06-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Careful - they are like puppies and will follow you home. ;)

This is all your fault Dave! ;) I told her I wanted to get a second D from you guys and she threatened to call off our engagement - Hehe...

Dangermouse
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM
still available

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2452993631.html

Malevy
06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Oh, well. it has a ski rack.. so it must be worth the asking price (he raised it?!)

kajcienski
06-21-2011, 11:16 AM
still available

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/2452993631.html

Looks like he gave it a good wash and scrub since I saw it!

Dangermouse
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Looks like he gave it a good wash and scrub since I saw it!

Hence the increase from $6500 to $7500 :wink:

DMC3165
06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
What a train wreck! I still wouldn't give him more then $2000. For it.

:TrainWreck:

kajcienski
06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
What a train wreck! I still wouldn't give him more then $2000. For it.

:TrainWreck:

I have to agree with Chris having seen it in person.