PDA

View Full Version : Wanted MG trade for Delorean

laxbrah91
02-21-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm looking to trade my '52 MgTd for a Delorean. My car is work around 16-17k generously with 4100 miles. New tires put on as did a battery. British racing green with black. Car en great shape with new upholstery no conditioning needed, taken out every two weeks to get fluids moving. Have been in the fame for 29 years. Looking to trade for a DMC black or silver manual or auto.
I live in Allentown near Philadelphia. Am willing to look around in that area as well as NY and NJ.

Nicholas R
02-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Sounds like a cool car! Typically people on here are pretty adamant about their car and reluctant to trade their DeLorean for any other car (it is a DeLorean forum after all, lol). As long as I've been on this or the old DMCtalk I've never heard of someone trading their DeLorean for another car. If your car is worth as much as you say, your best bet would be to sell it straight out and go DeLorean hunting. Then you'll be able to shop around for the right car, instead of getting stuck with the unlikely one person willing to trade their car. Make sure it has the transmission you want, possibly the model year, condition of frame, etc.

$17k can get you a pretty decent deal if you shop around.

You should check out this thread for more info:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%93I-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%94-or-%93Project-Car-Wanted%94-threads

Here's an exerpt:

What I want to pay vs. what is realistic

A “rule of thumb” for D’s was established years ago, and for the most part it is still applicable. “What’s the difference between a $20k and a $25k DeLorean? About $10k.”

What will you get for your money? In most cases, you will find the following true:
- $2k - $4k: A car with rot, not running, interior destroyed, sitting for years - - possibly decades… more times than most—a parts car. This car will take MAJOR $$ and time to restore
- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.
- $20k to $26k: There are a lot of D’s in this category. These are a lot of the well-known cars that spend a lot of time in a garage, have been basically rebuilt and updated, body is in excellent condition, everything works, car can be driven with confidence virtually anywhere. NICE D’s.
- $27k to $35k: This range is getting harder and harder to find as the economy has changed over the past few years. At the upper end of this range, you would expect to find things like concourse cars. When the economy was good, VERY NICE D’s were in this range, but in the past few years this has changed with the economy. The majority of nice cars you will now find in the $25k range.
- $36k+ : These are the unicorn cars. More than likely you are spending this kind of money buying a car from a vendor, or an older person who thinks the car is a Ferrari. If you are looking at a privately owned car in this category and the car has no substantial history (i.e. Right Hand Drive (RHD), Johnny Carson owned it, etc…), you can do better. Vendor cars usually have full inspections/some kind of warranty in this price range.

Please note, these are GENERALIZED figures from what we have all seen time and time again. Yes there are exceptions to the rules.

Good luck finding your DeLorean!

tyb323
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I'd still say that an mgtd is a better trade than a high mileage old Beemer

thirdmanj
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
PM sent.

denis45700
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Can you post some pictures of the MG.

laxbrah91
02-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Sure, I'll snap some pix and upload them for you guys. To the first thread yea it seems a little tough for someone to make a trade rather than straight cash but thanx for the value scale

dn010
02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
As long as I've been on this or the old DMCtalk I've never heard of someone trading their DeLorean for another car.

Actually, I got my D 10 years ago through a trade :hihi2:

Nicholas R
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Actually, I got my D 10 years ago through a trade :hihi2:

In my defense, I wasn't on DMCtalk back then; did it even exist? ;) Haha. What did you trade? Also I'm not trying to dissuade people from trading. The 52 MG is certainly one of if not the most interesting cars anyone has ever tried to trade on here.

dn010
02-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Hah yeah, it wasn't created yet - Back then it was the "DML". I traded a mostly-restored 1967 Ford Mustang convertible for 5003. You are very right when you say DeLorean owners are reluctant to trade.... After contacting more than 50 owners selling their D's, only 2 were interested in trading and 1 who actually came through. 5003 came from SC; the owner flat-bedded it up to NY where I used to live, dropped the car off, gave me 1K cash, and took the Mustang. The car was on the road a day after I got it.

I'd definitely say the trade was worth it in my opinion- even though I've spent probably more than 12K in new parts, exhaust, seat covers, fuel system, etc etc... I've had several '67 Mustangs since :bigclap:

In my defense, I wasn't on DMCtalk back then; did it even exist? ;) Haha. What did you trade? Also I'm not trying to dissuade people from trading. The 52 MG is certainly one of if not the most interesting cars anyone has ever tried to trade on here.

laxbrah91
02-24-2012, 11:56 PM
How would you go about locating used DMCs besides eBay n Craigslist? I'm really trying to make this trade happen sometime. I live in eastern PA. Any other forums have listed for sale or what?

ccurzio
02-25-2012, 07:23 AM
You posted this thread in the "DeLorean Cars - For Sale" section of the forum, and there's a bunch listed there.

hollywood2311
02-25-2012, 11:45 AM
How would you go about locating used DMCs besides eBay n Craigslist? I'm really trying to make this trade happen sometime. I live in eastern PA. Any other forums have listed for sale or what?

Autotrader.com has about 15 cars on it right now, all across the country.

sdg3205
02-25-2012, 05:20 PM
You need to be prepared to expand your search radius. These are not Ford Taurus's and the right car for you may turn up in California, who knows! I live in Vancouver BC and found the car "for me" in Phoenix, AZ.

Check out our shipping threads if you'd like.

ccurzio
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
You need to be prepared to expand your search radius. These are not Ford Taurus's and the right car for you may turn up in California, who knows! I live in Vancouver BC and found the car "for me" in Phoenix, AZ.

Truth, that.

I'm in Atlanta and my DeLorean came from Oregon.

Iznodmad
02-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Autotrader.com has about 15 cars on it right now, all across the country.

Yeah, including yours! What's keeping you from listing here?

laxbrah91
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
What do you mean? lol List which car?

Iznodmad
02-26-2012, 10:43 PM
What do you mean? lol List which car?

Username hollywood2311 aka Eric has his DeLorean listed for sale on Autotrader.com, which he mentioned in the above post. I was simply asking why he hasn't posted it for sale here on DMCTalk, since this is a DeLorean forum where people often buy and sell DeLoreans. That's all.

hollywood2311
02-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I never really come to this forum anymore since the board changed and lost all of the old posts. I had private messages in my inbox here that were from September that I didn't even know I had.

Nicholas R
03-03-2012, 01:50 AM
One of the best ways to find cars is to join the club nearest to you, and ask around. These cars tend to pop up in the strangest places. There was one for sale in Columbus around Christmas. Not sure if it still is. A lot of times the vendors know where some cars are. I know Dave Bauerle always seems to know where at least a few cars are hiding.

There's a DeLorean in a parking lot behind a Firestone near me. Owner of the car is the owner of the business. I believe one of the people working said the guy was in his late 80's early 90's, and still thinks hes going to restore the car some day, even though the block is seized. Otherwise the guy will NOT sell it. Been trying to talk him out of it for years. At this point I'm just waiting for the estate sale.