PDA

View Full Version : General Bike Rack

DMC1983
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Okay, so I want to put a bike rack on the back of my D. It's your typical wal mart bike rack with the four straps. My question is: would there be any problem mounting the straps to the louvres? I dont want to put too much of a load on the louvres and having this chunky bike rack cracking the fiberglass.

Any help is appreciated!

ArnieBrandon
06-08-2011, 10:53 AM
One sure way to destroy louvers is to strap a bike rack or anything else to any part of these louvers. They are way too fragile and tend to break all by themselves let alone strapping something to them.

David T
06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I do not think the louvers are strong enough to handle a bike rack. Not only is there the weight of the bicycle, there are the wind loads and the shock loads. The way to do it is probably with a luggage rack and then attach a bike rack to that. Kind of the way the ski rack was done.
David Teitelbaum

dmc6960
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
The old DMCTalk has a thread with a bunch of different "things" placed upon the luggage rack. Many of them were bike racks. This is what you need first...

http://www.delorean.com/store/p-9246-luggage-rack.aspx
http://www.delorean.com/store/images/PRODUCT/medium/A3000010.jpg

Then the bike rack of your choice which will fit on it.

stevedmc
06-08-2011, 01:17 PM
The louvres are known for cracking without even putting weight on them. I can only imagine what would happen if you put a bike rack on them. If you drive solo you could possibly take out the passenger seat and store your bike there. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove the seat.

DMC1983
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I figured it wouldnt be a wise idea, it's just all I've got with me right now. The other car here is much too small to carry the bikes let alone a bike rack. I've been wanting to get the luggage rack, but arent they a little difficult to come by?

dmc6960
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
arent they a little difficult to come by?

No. DMCH has them in stock, and I'd imagine all satellite locations have at least one in stock as well. HOWEVER... James Espey has said this part will likely NOT be reproduced when the stock is run out. Its not a big enough seller to justify the cost. So if you want one, get it now. I still need to get mine.