PDA

View Full Version : Engine Removing catalytic converter

coreydmc
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
I am thinking about removing my cat because I have a strange smell from my exhaust. I hardly drive my car that much anymore. I also know that my existing original cat that is on the car now doesnt work because I have failed emissions. Now I only have collectors insurance on my car since I only drive it limited distance. I have heard of people doing this to eliminate exhaust odors. Does this really work? Also can I just hollow out my existing cat, If not where can I get a test pipe to fit in its place?

pezzonovante88
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I am thinking about removing my cat because I have a strange smell from my exhaust. I hardly drive my car that much anymore. I also know that my existing original cat that is on the car now doesnt work because I have failed emissions. Now I only have collectors insurance on my car since I only drive it limited distance. I have heard of people doing this to eliminate exhaust odors. Does this really work? Also can I just hollow out my existing cat, If not where can I get a test pipe to fit in its place?

Hollowing out the car will cause resonance problems reducing the dynamic of flow through the system, which decreases power. A straight pipe could just be made by a custom exhaust shop - shouldn't be too easy or expensive. If you have a custom one made, tell me how it works out 'cause I might do it myself :)

jawn101
02-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Hollowing out the car will cause resonance problems reducing the dynamic of flow through the system, which decreases power. A straight pipe could just be made by a custom exhaust shop - shouldn't be too easy or expensive. If you have a custom one made, tell me how it works out 'cause I might do it myself :)

I know vendors like DPI have "test pipes" for novelty and diagnostic purposes only. Your mileage may vary. May cause unexpected side effects including dry mouth and flu-like symptoms.

coreydmc
02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
so in a nutshell it is safe for the car?

pezzonovante88
02-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Edit: Shouldn't be too DIFFICULT or expensive.

Spittybug
02-24-2012, 06:02 PM

That strange smell you get is most likely the result of being rich. Are you still K-jet? Where are you located? (Put your location in your profile for us!) Some states can be a PITA for looking for removed emissions parts.

TEXSIX
02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Mine was $80 installed.

Farrar
02-24-2012, 07:05 PM
That strange smell you get is most likely the result of being rich.

It's the expensive soap. :lol:

pezzonovante88
02-24-2012, 07:58 PM

:facepalm: lol

pezzonovante88
02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Mine was $80 installed.

Is that a custom job you've got?

jawn101
02-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Official Soap of DMCTalk: Irish Spring? :)

coreydmc
02-24-2012, 08:20 PM
haha

Farrar
02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Official Soap of DMCTalk: Irish Spring? :)

Gets my vote!

TEXSIX
02-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Is that a custom job you've got?

Just a local muffler shop in the area. He cut the flange off my old cat and welded it on the pipe.

pezzonovante88
02-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Just a local muffler shop in the area. He cut the flange off my old cat and welded it on the pipe.

Are there any notable differences in performance, sound, smell, etc.?

Delorean Industries
02-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Are there any notable improvements in performance, sound, smell, etc.?

You will notice a strong fuel smell.

pezzonovante88
02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
You will notice a strong fuel smell.

I know there have been threads/posts about a potential horsepower increase from removing the cat, but are there any numbers showing the difference in HP/Torque, if there really is one at all?

Delorean Industries
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
You will see a gain. It really all depends on how well everything else on the car is tuned.

TEXSIX
02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
It does sound better, and there is no additional fuel smell. If there is any added performance it is hardly noticeable, but I'm getting better mileage. Driving back and forth to work every day, about 70 miles, through downtown Houston, I'm getting 23-26 mpg.

nelshaun
04-26-2012, 03:55 AM
It does sound better, and there is no additional fuel smell. If there is any added performance it is hardly noticeable, but I'm getting better mileage. Driving back and forth to work every day, about 70 miles, through downtown Houston, I'm getting 23-26 mpg.

whhaaaaat? so removing catalytic converter is much better? aside from bad smell you can get better mileage?

nofear365
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Would love to hear what it sounds like if you can take a recording and post it!

TEXSIX
04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
It's not that great, just a little more rumble when you accelerate. If you have driven a Delorean for years, you would notice a slight difference in sound, but not much.