PDA

View Full Version : Worlds fastest Delorean test drive and interview with Don Steger.

Chris Burns
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEqClpt5ck

Michael
02-27-2012, 10:21 PM
A "GooGaro" styled car?

You know, I panted and drooled over that car when I saw the for sale ad on the webpage. Forget about the break down, that car looked rough close up. I would have had that car detailed to a tee if I knew someone was coming with a camera to make a video of it..and 6 month old gas does not gum up like that. Probably had a lot of old melted rubber mixed in with it, or sludge from the bottom of the pickup.

I think that car would be a lot of constant wrenching for whomever buys it.

http://www.deloreanmotorcenter.com/worlds_fastest_delorean.html

Chris Burns
02-27-2012, 10:28 PM
That car still the Renault transmission, which I'm sure has issues due to all that power being forced into a stock Delorean transmission. I will not buy a Delorean with a different engine like that. I'll stick with the PRV motor. I prefer usefulness over performance.

Lotus had the same problems when they put the V8 with a Renault transmission. The engine had to downtuned so it wouldn't wear out the clutch.

Who knows maybe the next owner will make this Delorean work better and bring it to some events!

Nicholas R
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
I agree, BS on the fuel. I've had my car sit with the K-Jet for more than 6 months and start right up with no issues. Something else is going on there. Also, I actually spoke to the guy at McLeod Racing who worked with Don on the clutch flywheel setup. It is NOT a stock clutch, its one that McLeod made specially for the car.

vwdmc16
02-28-2012, 12:22 AM
This is worrisome, How would Don let somebody drive that car knowing it had old fuel in it, on a heavily boosted engine no less! Starving a engine like that of fuel is the last thing you want to do.

Nicholas R
02-28-2012, 02:25 AM
This is worrisome, How would Don let somebody drive that car knowing it had old fuel in it, on a heavily boosted engine no less! Starving a engine like that of fuel is the last thing you want to do.

Especially for a TV show lol. If it were me, I'd have pulled the car out as soon as I heard they wanted to see it, cleaned it up, and drove it around for a week to make sure everything was perfect. I mean, a video about the worlds fastest DeLorean with footage of dissecting the fuel tank on the side of the road?? Sure it was a cool video and all, but not necessarily the best publicity for "the only certified DeLorean mechanic" I'm sad to say. To me, it kind of just furthers the "DeLoreans always leave their drivers stranded" rumors.

nofear365
02-28-2012, 08:09 AM
5:55

"You need to solidify it... you need to loosen it up"

HUH!?!?!

vin6635
02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
There was a magazine article about this car in the late 80s. Run DMC. I'd imagine someone has it posted online somewhere.

DeLorean
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
yeah.... that is not a positive video, for all involved. Many things should have been done differently there.

dvonk
02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
...To me, it kind of just furthers the "DeLoreans always leave their drivers stranded" rumors.

i was thinking the same thing as they were tearing into the fuel tank on the side of the road. :frown:

Michael
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
It's still for sale. 29k takes it home(trailer not included)

vwdmc16
02-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I really wanted to see that car move, 570hp should rip that guys head off.

Chris Burns
02-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Tamir has the 1988 article on the World's Fastest Delorean here:

http://www.entermyworld.com/articles/sports-car-illustrated-april-1988

Rhsxo
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
"the only certified DeLorean mechanic"

I know for a fact that this statement is incorrect. The town where I live has a guy that is a factory trained DeLorean mechanic. I'm sure that there are others out there still working as mechanics.

SoCalDMC12
03-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Even though things didn't work out well, it was still a pretty sympathetic piece towards Deloreans. In the end, the interviewer still gushed over the car's looks, and stated that he wanted to buy one in stock-ish form.

Is "Tuned" a TV show, or just on the internet? This piece may have been set up really quickly, which might explain why the car wasn't in tip-top shape.

Nicholas R
03-06-2012, 04:21 AM
That article states that only 2000 DeLoreans were ever sold.

I'd really like to know some other info about this car. The article says it uses the original renault transmission. I feel like I know a lot about that transmission but there is no way that it can hold up to 575hp, even with Toby's coupler. Heck the upgraded input/output shaft set is only rated for 500 and it's only been around for the last few years.

Delorean Industries
03-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Tuned is hosted by the same presenter as the smoking tire. He is mainly youtube and site based. He works with Ford alot behind the scenes currently.

Even though things didn't work out well, it was still a pretty sympathetic piece towards Deloreans. In the end, the interviewer still gushed over the car's looks, and stated that he wanted to buy one in stock-ish form.

Is "Tuned" a TV show, or just on the internet? This piece may have been set up really quickly, which might explain why the car wasn't in tip-top shape.

cineman
03-06-2012, 06:03 AM
A lot of us know that changing and adapting another engine in the delorean is not an easy task, but still lot of guy come here and speak about changin engine, putting this or that... and lot of time this ends in nothing or even ruining something.
I think the good think of this video is that adverts people to get stock delorean for what they are ^^ and that even a delorean mechanics can have problem with a custom adaption...

Chris Burns
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
From a visual standport this Delorean is very interesting, but I'll think I'll stick with the PRV motor. :fancy:

Mike C.
03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
When the video said 'worlds fastest delorean- TUNED', I thought they had tuned it up and I was going to see an awesome example of this car's stated potential.

Instead, I saw a delorean break down. :confused2:

SIMid
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
When the video said 'worlds fastest delorean- TUNED', I thought they had tuned it up and I was going to see an awesome example of this car's stated potential.

Instead, I saw a delorean break down. :confused2:

Was a disappointment. Was also expecting them to stuff the doors to fly off. Never thought I would try to drive and open the doors.

Mark D
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Ugh... Not the best publicity for a car that already has a bad rep for breaking down all the time. Very disappointing.:facepalm:

Chris Burns
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
This is what happens when you don't drive a Delorean for a good while, (although to be fair this is a one of a kind custom job). Finding someone to fix a one of kind engine job must be difficult. This is a Delorean for someone who really knows how to fix cars.

Any Delorean is worth saving and I'm sure that after they chase the "old car" bugs out it will be awesome! They are probably waiting for someone to buy it before they put any money into it.

Michael
03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
They are probably waiting for someone to buy it before they put any money into it.

Well that's comforting. Exactly what someone buying a 30k Delorean wants to hear.

Mike C.
03-10-2012, 09:12 PM
This is what happens when you don't drive a Delorean for a good while, (although to be fair this is a one of a kind custom job). Finding someone to fix a one of kind engine job must be difficult. This is a Delorean for someone who really knows how to fix cars.

I honestly think that if they offer a car up for a vid shoot like this, rule 1 may be to... oh, i dunno.... clean the fuel system out.

I'd love to work on that car. It's just a GN motor. There are PLENTY of amazing GN tuners out there.

Dangermouse
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Finally sat down to watch this and what a disappointment!

Though to be fair, the host was very accommodating in his presentation and explanation of the problem.

I may have been 6 months since it was driven, but the gas could be a year old (or more)

Chris Burns
04-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Update on this video: It's starts at 23:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsXXBC-8g9g&feature=g-all-u&context=G2f69070FAAAAAAAAFAA

Nicholas R
04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Thumbs up on the Will.I.Am comment! :D

dvonk
04-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Thumbs up on the Will.I.Am comment! :D

+1. :lol: