PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Luggage and iPad case...

DMCH James
02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Got this second round of samples in today, and hope to have them ready for DCS...

James

pezzonovante88
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Sweet!!!

Michael
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Great, now I gotta get an ipad just so I have an excuse to buy that case.

Thanks James

sean
02-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Nice! Got any pricing in mind? Any thought given to a sling bag?
http://www.talk2myshirt.com/blog/image-upload/Bags/Jansport-KingPin_1.jpg

SIMid
02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Been looking at iPad cases, glad I haven't bought anything yet! Plus a carry bag to wear at car shows with my camera gear ..... perfect! :)

I know what I'll be spending this year!

BTW, I'm surprised that DMC haven't got a group of bags specially designed to fit the void under the bonnet like Ferraris have. Like a flat Tetris in the Delorean. ;)

sdg3205
02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
is one of those a lap top bag?

thirdmanj
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Great. Now I know where my tax return is going... Thanks DMCH.. :lol:

Domi
03-01-2012, 03:48 PM
That's beautiful!

Dangermouse
03-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Is picture 3 the outside of the iPad case?

DMCH James
03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice! Got any pricing in mind? Any thought given to a sling bag?
http://www.talk2myshirt.com/blog/image-upload/Bags/Jansport-KingPin_1.jpg

Not this go around...I'll pass the word that there's been a request.

Been looking at iPad cases, glad I haven't bought anything yet! Plus a carry bag to wear at car shows with my camera gear ..... perfect! :)

I know what I'll be spending this year!

BTW, I'm surprised that DMC haven't got a group of bags specially designed to fit the void under the bonnet like Ferraris have. Like a flat Tetris in the Delorean. ;)

We're considering a flat garment bag for the luggage compartment, but every time we tried ideas for "fitted luggage" they all looked funny. With two weekend bags on the parcel shelf (one in barely visible in the group photo, a better pic is attached here), rearward vision is not blocked and the other bags will fit easily in the front.

is one of those a lap top bag?

In the group photo, it's the one next to the backpack in the seat.

Great. Now I know where my tax return is going... Thanks DMCH.. :lol:

Mine, too!

Is picture 3 the outside of the iPad case?

Yes, it is.

James

thirdmanj
03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Nice touch making the door pull straps the bag handles. Very clever!

Tamir A.
03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, this looks pretty slick. Look forward to seeing in person. :thumbup:

StainlessSteelDream
03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Those look awesome. Do you have any dimensions for them (or specifically the weekend bag) handy?

It looks like a pair of them would fit handily in the boot of my Lotus as well as the DeLorean.

M

MartyP
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I want a LAPTOP bag...

DMCH James
03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I want a LAPTOP bag...

Next to the backpack in the first photo in the first post of this thread...

James

DMCH James
03-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Those look awesome. Do you have any dimensions for them (or specifically the weekend bag) handy?

It looks like a pair of them would fit handily in the boot of my Lotus as well as the DeLorean.

M

Approximately 10" wide, 21" long, and 14" or so tall.

James

sdg3205
03-09-2012, 08:10 PM
James, how about a stainless steel iPhone 4S case?

Kinda like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELOREAN-MOTOR-COMPANY-iPHONE-4-4S-CASE-/160752500765?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item256d98801d&vxp=mtr#ht_1394wt_1398) one.

DMC5180
03-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Gee, thanks a lot James! Now I'm gonna have to get the matching seat covers. Dang it anyway :-)

So what did the first samples look like?

Btw James nice touch with the design ques in the styling with the black portion made too look like the louvres. Glad too see you didn't add taillight and headlight features :-). How many different pieces are there? I think I see a nice tool tote in the set too.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.554055,-90.008553

StainlessSteelDream
05-31-2012, 02:21 PM
hope to have them ready for DCS...

How are things progressing?

DMCH James
06-01-2012, 09:46 AM
How are things progressing?

The pricing is coming in considerably higher than we had hoped, so much so that it's put the whole project in jeopardy unless we can get a partner involved in some way. For the kind of money it would take to do this at the current quotes, we'd prefer to put that capital in car parts. Stephen is at a family wedding in the UK, and speaking with some family members "in the business" while over there to see if there are suppliers that they can recommend that may be more reasonable.

In any case, we'll be bringing the samples to DCS to show and gauge reaction.

James

StainlessSteelDream
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I hear that ... looking at some bespoke luggage for other vehicles and it's crazy expensive. Was hoping the DMC luggage would be reasonable and do double duty in the DeLorean and other cars.

SIMid
06-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately, Asia would be the place to get them mass produced with minimal costs. :(

Just when you want to support the local industry and figures don't add up, doesn't help the economy. :(

Was looking into the iPad case, needed one badly! :lol:

dadsanut
07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Got this second round of samples in today, and hope to have them ready for DCS...

James

First... I love the way you have used the DCM buttons and mimicked the louvered window!

Is there any chance of these comming out by christmas? (I'll need to put an entire set on layaway...)

DMCH James
08-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Looks like this project lives! Response at DCS was enthusiastic, and we expect to start taking for pre-orders in early September. We've been promised the products by Thanksgiving 2012. Pricing and more photos to be posted very soon...

James

Denver DMC
09-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Looking forward to the photos. Interesting project.

Jimmyvonviggle
09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately, Asia would be the place to get them mass produced with minimal costs. :(

Just when you want to support the local industry and figures don't add up, doesn't help the economy. :(

Was looking into the iPad case, needed one badly! :lol:

That's what's wrong with the economy, people want to pay as cheap as possible. I rather pay a bit more and support the American economy and get a product that is better made.

Dangermouse
09-21-2012, 10:50 PM
But Simon is in Australia 😜

Tillsy
09-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Yep and over here we are used to getting things done cheaply overseas and destroying our local industries.

Ironic we came out on top of the Global Financial Crisis :)

Jimmyvonviggle
09-21-2012, 11:34 PM
I know he's in Australia. But the point is the same. The reason why countries fail is because they give up their manufacturing sector. Canada did good in this economic crisisas well, but that's only because we have many natural resources, and have a banking system with strick regulations. But we too will fail if we keep importing garbage.

thirdmanj
09-22-2012, 07:46 AM
I know he's in Australia. But the point is the same. The reason why countries fail is because they give up their manufacturing sector. Canada did good in this economic crisisas well, but that's only because we have many natural resources, and have a banking system with strick regulations. But we too will fail if we keep importing garbage.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

This thread hitting political topic territory... Best be careful boys!

Tillsy
09-22-2012, 09:32 AM
WARNING WARNING WARNING

This thread hitting political topic territory... Best be careful boys!

Going full circle - many of our politicians use iPads, maybe they'll want a DMC iPad case ;)

DMCH James
05-07-2013, 08:15 PM
The DeLorean luggage is now in stock at DMC - all locations either have stock or if sold out quickly can be drop shipped direct from DMC (California). Direct links to each item below:

iPad Case (http://store.delorean.com/p-10609-apple-ipad-case.aspx)

Backpack (http://store.delorean.com/p-10612-delorean-backpack.aspx)

Laptop Bag (http://store.delorean.com/p-10611-laptop-bag.aspx)

Messenger Bag (http://store.delorean.com/p-10610-messenger-bag.aspx)

Overnight Bag (http://store.delorean.com/p-10614-overnight-bag.aspx)

Toiletry/Utility Bag (http://store.delorean.com/p-10613-toiletry-bag.aspx)

A PDF file of these items, as well as some commonly requested "kits" is attached below. Kits will be posted on the store tomorrow, or phone orders can be placed at dealers now.

thirdmanj
05-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Jeebas! Are those prices adjusted for inflation for 2015 or something?! :headscratch:

Lenny
05-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Are there any in stock at DMC FL? I'd like to see them before I spend the money.

DrJeff
05-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Jeebas! Are those prices adjusted for inflation for 2015 or something?! :headscratch:

If the wife can justify $800 on a Michael Kors handbag, then surely $200 on a backpack is really nothing to get excited about.

Ran that logic past her... :swear1:

pezzonovante88
05-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Hmmm, those are really nice. No, they're not cheap, but they do look like quality items. I'll likely end up buying the overnight bag at some point I'm sure.

Michael
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Very nice! I like the design hints that carry though the line. There is but one problem, (and no its not the price). Only the most die-hard DeLorean fan would ever make the connection. And If nobody figures that out, then there is not much reason to shell out the $$. I guess what I'm getting at is yes, they look nice...but not unique, and not recognizable as a "DeLorean" so to speak. I would have made the "DMC" a bit more prominent, or even better used "DeLorean" instead, or at least in conjunction with. I would have also carried more styling cues(other than the rear louvres), from the car over to the products. The luggage can stand on its own due to the fact it is a car option and is seen with the car, but the other products need to scream DeLorean.

That's just my take,... In other words, I want YOU to know that I own a DeLorean....so you better notice this bag and say something to the effect of "Wow, a DeLorean tote bag....do you own a DeLorean?" Self serving, ego feeding, whatever you want to call it and whether we are going to admit it or not...that is why I would buy it.

Mark D
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
These are sorta cool I guess...It doesn't seem like something the DeLorean community was screaming for though. If I'm going to spend that kind of money it's going to be on parts to improve my car in some way.

The first thing that popped in my head when I saw these was "Having solved all other problems, DMCH manufactures DeLorean themed luggage" etc. I'm going to refrain from using the "B" word, but it always seems like when the community complains about a remanufactured part taking forever to develop the standard response is that there are only so many people and so many man hours in the day to work through the design. It just seems to me like there are more practical items that people need for their cars that DMCH could have spent time on instead of novelty luggage.

No disrespect intended and the products are pretty cool, but it's still a little disappointing that somehow this was a priority and other stuff wasn't.

DMCH James
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
We had a high-end luggage manufacturer approach us with this project, and they accepted our input in the design and offered some good ideas of their own. These are seriously nice quality pieces with excellent materials. In the overall scheme of things, our financial contribution to these was minimal, so the idea that "car parts" have gotten the short shrift in favor of these is inaccurate. Just as the DeLorean car (in 1981 or now) wasn't for everyone, neither are these items and we're okay with that.

Dave and Julee from DMCMW will have these to show at the Indy event this weekend, and their Open House in June. All other locations will have them on display.

Jimmyvonviggle
05-08-2013, 10:15 AM
These are sorta cool I guess...It doesn't seem like something the DeLorean community was screaming for though. If I'm going to spend that kind of money it's going to be on parts to improve my car in some way.

The first thing that popped in my head when I saw these was "Having solved all other problems, DMCH manufactures DeLorean themed luggage" etc. I'm going to refrain from using the "B" word, but it always seems like when the community complains about a remanufactured part taking forever to develop the standard response is that there are only so many people and so many man hours in the day to work through the design. It just seems to me like there are more practical items that people need for their cars that DMCH could have spent time on instead of novelty luggage.

No disrespect intended and the products are pretty cool, but it's still a little disappointing that somehow this was a priority and other stuff wasn't.

Mark I think it's a little unfair to bring up the B word. I don't see why everything else has to stop while they are being developed. I don't even care about them, as you can always recover your cracked one. Plus many owners already have their cars up and running and might be looking for something special. I think it's nice we are offered all these goodies even if they are a luxury item.

I think we are pretty fortunate to have the vendors we have (yes hervey as well). I based my decision to purchase a DeLorean on this fact. And I have given up purchasing other cars based of this.

darylfelsberg
05-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Where did the PDF go? It wa there late last night.

Dangermouse
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
A PDF file of these items, as well as some commonly requested "kits" is attached below. Kits will be posted on the store tomorrow, or phone orders can be placed at dealers now.

PDF? Would be useful to leave around the house prior to Christmas, as a hint, hint :)

I can appreciate that your involvement in these didn't take away from the development of other car products. Hopefully your financial investment will pay off.

One suggestion - can you add product dimensions to the listings, as backpacks and overnight bags can range from small to large depending on manufacturer.

Ron
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Where did the PDF go? It wa there late last night.
It's still there...

ccurzio
05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
The PDF has been replaced. Sorry for the inconvenience.

DMC5180
05-26-2013, 09:07 PM
After seeing these a couple weeks ago, I can attest that they are made of VERY durable materials and solid quality in design. The product line covers a wide range of demographic. I don't see to many folks buying the whole set. Just certain pieces based on there usefulness to them. I don't have any use for a backpack but a younger person may be looking for just that kind of item. The iPad case and toiletry/utility bag are on my short list. I don't have a laptop nor do I need a messenger bag. The overnight bag is maybe a XMAS wish list item.