PDA

View Full Version : Official Binnacle Update Thread

DMCH James
03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
This set of production samples arrived today. These will got through a round of heat testing and then go into production.

Pricing still expected in the $300 range.

They are molded in gray or black, and then coated with the textured coating to match the originals very closely.

The inner bezel is integrated into the outer housing, and can't come "unglued" and hang down like the originals.

James

sean
03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
This set of production samples arrived today. These will got through a round of heat testing and then go into production.

Very nice!

Equally as nice!

jawn101
03-01-2012, 10:58 PM

They are molded in gray or black, and then coated with the textured coating to match the originals very closely.

The inner bezel is integrated into the outer housing, and can't come "unglued" and hang down like the originals.

James

Very cool. Have any pictures from other angles? I'd be curious to see one next to an original.

dvonk
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
looking sharp! :smile:

Mark D
03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the update James! Glad to see these one step closer to complete.

Kukem
03-02-2012, 07:58 AM
James, these look really nice. Not a bad price either, in my eyes. I second the request for a side by side with an original Binnacle if it is possible. It would be neat to see.

DMCH James
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I've picked out two of the damaged NOS binnacles and we'll get some pics today.

James

Dangermouse
03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
If we are doing picture requests, how about a new black binnacle atop a new dash?

jawn101
03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
If we are doing picture requests, how about a new black binnacle atop a new dash?

New binnacle on an OLD dash would be a useful point of reference too... I mean, as long as we're piling work on James over here. ;)

Dangermouse
03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
New binnacle on an OLD dash would be a useful point of reference too... I mean, as long as we're piling work on James over here. ;)

I asked for new-on-new as that is what I am in the market for.

I think new-on-old may vary a lot based on any fading that the old dash may have?

jawn101
03-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I asked for new-on-new as that is what I am in the market for.

I think new-on-old may vary a lot based on any fading that the old dash may have?

Yeah, that's true. Just a matter of curiosity really, especially since the binnacle never really matched the dash in the first place. :)

AdmiralSenn
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
If that's how awesome they turned out, the wait was worth it!

I think I know what my first interior restoration mini project is going to be now...

GS450-Junkie
03-02-2012, 11:02 AM
James, these look really nice. Not a bad price either, in my eyes.

I think originally you stated you were shooting for a price tag of $500 for both the new dash and binnacle together. Is this still a possibility? I'm not complaining, and I certainly understand the production costs in development so I'm not holding my breath. Just wondering if anyone else remembers that or not.... looking good though!! What will be on the horizon once this one is crossed off the list?

stevedmc
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
This set of production samples arrived today.

I thought they arrived last year.

Mike C.
03-02-2012, 11:19 AM
I thought they arrived last year.

That would be a different set, which is why he said "THIS set..." :umm:

mluder
03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Let's stop bugging James for pics so he can get to the testing and get 'em on the street. I'd take the real thing in my hands instead of a pic of the new ones next to the old ones sitting on a new dash next to a clown in a pink tu tu and a seal balancing a beach ball and.....

Best guess at street date, James?

axh174
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM

James

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/283/gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

stevedmc
03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I couldn't resist.

DMCH James
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Here are pics of a damaged NOS binnacle next to one of the new samples.

James

DMCH James
03-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Here are quick pics of a new dash and binnacle in the rolling body we have in the showroom. Nothing bolted, so disregard the gap at the side. We're putting one in the Stage III car next week, and I'll post another pic then.

James

sdg3205
03-02-2012, 06:01 PM
James, are they *somewhat* spongey like the originals?

DMCH James
03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
James, are they *somewhat* spongey like the originals?

Absolutely not at all. The originals were a stamped metal frame, welded to form an inner support "core". This frame was then coated with a foam, that was then covered with vacuum formed vinyl skin. The "spongey" feel was the foam underneath. With heat, the metal, foam and vinyl all expand and contract at different rates, which is what caused the cracking, especially after the vinyl dried out.

It wasn't cost-effective in our volumes to use that same method due to the cost of metal insert/tooling, and we briefly looked at doing it where we would re-use original metal frames, but couldn't get enough of them rounded up to make the volume numbers work again. More modern methods of getting a "soft" feel to it were astronomically expensive in these volumes, as well.

We compromised by being able to closely match the finish with a thin textured coating over an injection molded plastic shell. Tooling was *still* in the mid-five figures for this, so it already has a long ROI.

The new binnacle also weighs less, 1.14 pounds vs 2.2 pounds, as that was something we have been paying more attention to, as well.

James

Soundkillr
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
The real question is, will they sell one to steve?

stevedmc
03-02-2012, 07:17 PM
The real question is, will they sell one to steve?

Someone should start a poll.

jeff
03-05-2012, 02:31 PM
They look great :bigclap:

When will the first batch be available for sale?

DMCH James
03-09-2012, 04:47 PM
They look great :bigclap:

When will the first batch be available for sale?

If they pass the heat tests, DCS at the latest.

James

Dangermouse
03-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Heat test?

Are you leaving them in a car in the Texas sun for 10 years? We may never get them at that rate!

j/k

As an aside, how long did it take the originals to crack if the car was parked outside in a hot climate like TX?

jeff
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
So did they pass the "heat test"? Still looking like they will be available at DCS .......maybe sooner?

jeff
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
bump....any new news?

stevedmc
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
bump....any new news?

DCS is about a month away so you should be able to purchase one next month.

stevedmc
05-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Maybe Cameron can confirm the binnacles will be available next month. The site says he is logged on so I must assume he is reading this.

Michael
05-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe Cameron can confirm the binnacles will be available next month. The site says he is logged on so I must assume he is reading this.

Unless he has you on his ignore list...but that's just crazy talk.

stevedmc
05-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Unless he has you on his ignore list...but that's just crazy talk.

I think he has everyone on semi-ignore. He has been monitoring this forum for a long time now, yet he has only posted twice. Now that is crazy talk if you ask me.

Morpheus
08-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey James, do you have any updates on the binnacles yet? I talked to Stephen briefly about them @ DCS, but was wondering if any progress had been made.

DashEight
10-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Any official updates on this projects status? Are the Demos sold?

RammJaeger
10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Any official updates on this projects status? Are the Demos sold?

Yeah I also wish someone from DMCH would respond to this thread. A simple "yes we are still working on them and the ETA is ____" or "No we are not working on them, sorry" would be great. As a business owner myself I sometimes am quite puzzled by the lack of communication from DMCH. If I am going to delay or cancel an announced product, I let my customers know rather than leaving them hanging/wondering for years on end.

Mark D
10-28-2013, 05:17 PM
-DashEight resurrects year and a half old thread on hot button DMCH remanufactured binnacles.

-Signature states: "A can of worms doesn't open itself"

Irony.

:hihi2:

Josh
10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah I also wish someone from DMCH would respond to this thread. A simple "yes we are still working on them and the ETA is ____" or "No we are not working on them, sorry" would be great. As a business owner myself I sometimes am quite puzzled by the lack of communication from DMCH. If I am going to delay or cancel an announced product, I let my customers know rather than leaving them hanging/wondering for years on end.

x2!

DavidProehl
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
In case someone from DMC is reading this....

I have been delaying purchasing a recovered binnacle from DMC in the hope that a reproduction will be available. If I knew this wasn't coming soon (next 1-2 years), I'd likely just buy one of the recovered binnacles even though I don't care for the stitching. Not knowing means I'm not able to make an informed purchasing decision. I'm also waiting to replace my dash until I do my binnacle, thus this is delaying two purchases from you rather than just one.

In the meantime, I'm watching eBay for a crack free grey binnacle that won't bankrupt me :)

mluder
10-29-2013, 01:15 AM
In case someone from DMC is reading this....

I have been delaying purchasing a recovered binnacle from DMC in the hope that a reproduction will be available. If I knew this wasn't coming soon (next 1-2 years), I'd likely just buy one of the recovered binnacles even though I don't care for the stitching. Not knowing means I'm not able to make an informed purchasing decision. I'm also waiting to replace my dash until I do my binnacle, thus this is delaying two purchases from you rather than just one.

In the meantime, I'm watching eBay for a crack free grey binnacle that won't bankrupt me :)

+1... I am waiting for the exact same reason. With my luck I'd pull the trigger on the recovered binnacle and dash pad and then a week later the repro originals will be announced.

Cheers
Steven

DashEight
10-29-2013, 04:38 AM
-DashEight resurrects year and a half old thread on hot button DMCH remanufactured binnacles.

-Signature states: "A can of worms doesn't open itself"

Irony.

:hihi2:

Can't say I see this as a can of worms. Now, if I had asked how everyone "feels" about the progress of this product... I'll wait another year and a half to ask that question. Keep your can opener sharp! -Patrick

Michael
10-29-2013, 07:11 AM
If the binnacles are not here by now, I think its time you just accept it....there will be no binnacles. Seriously, after the whole Solstice thing (which everyone in the know saw right through), I don't take anything from DMCH seriously.

Just write off the binnacles and forget about them, if they do happen to appear in 6 months or a year great! Better to have a nice surprise than constant disappointment every other week. My gut tells me since the cars they restore have the binnacles recovered and it looks very nice that way, there is no sense in developing the factory one.

Dangermouse
10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
There is a guy in the UK attempting to make fiberglass ones as we speak:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4948

thirdmanj
10-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Seriously, after the whole Solstice thing (which everyone in the know saw right through), I don't take anything from DMCH seriously.

What?! They're not gonna make the DMC Solstice! Oh no!

Rad Dad
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Back in 2004 my binnacle cracked. I was in CA at the time and had Steger order a new binnacle from DMCH at the time. When the NOS binnacle arrived, I was very disappointed. It had pits and creases from storage that I would not accept. Steger agreed with me. I then went with his suggestion of getting the binnacle recovered in leather (black). Nine years later, it still looks great. Yes, I know you purists don't like the stitching, but I frankly do like it and I lover the fact that other than for routine cleaning, the leather requires no great protection and yet has not faded. Steger used a contractor that was a real artist. I said at the time that if I ever needed to have the dash replaced, I'd also go with his leather dash (it was beautiful). Fortunately, that has not become necessary.

I don't know if the connection that Don Steger had is still available through DMCCA, but I would highly recommend it if it is.

Dick Ryan

DL4567
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Back in 2004 my binnacle cracked. I was in CA at the time and had Steger order a new binnacle from DMCH at the time. When the NOS binnacle arrived, I was very disappointed. It had pits and creases from storage that I would not accept. Steger agreed with me. I then went with his suggestion of getting the binnacle recovered in leather (black). Nine years later, it still looks great. Yes, I know you purists don't like the stitching, but I frankly do like it and I lover the fact that other than for routine cleaning, the leather requires no great protection and yet has not faded. Steger used a contractor that was a real artist. I said at the time that if I ever needed to have the dash replaced, I'd also go with his leather dash (it was beautiful). Fortunately, that has not become necessary.

I don't know if the connection that Don Steger had is still available through DMCCA, but I would highly recommend it if it is.

Dick Ryan

I'm guessing that is the same recovering as seen in the Wheeler Dealers episode, where Mike bought his replacement binnacle from DMCCA. It does look pretty nice for recovering and visible stitching. Although I wonder if matching grey thread would be better than white/light grey?

I just captured these stills from the episode:

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/9761/wim3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/508/b1yc.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/3564/79mh.jpg

Fluxat88MPH
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Not trying to high jack this thread just to sell something here, but looking at a lot of DMCH 's inventory of interior parts not just binnacles are in poor shape and hasn't been well taken care of. I do think that the recovered binnacle still looks good if done right but have also noticed you can still see large cracks underneath the the recovered binnacle on some cases where there is bad sun damage. I do have an extra binnacle along with some other interior parts that has been stored in a climate controlled environment and taken care of on a regular basis to prevent any damage to them and they are like new. I guess it's just a matter of what someone wants or prefers. I think they both look good especially the black.

DavidProehl
10-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Although I wonder if matching grey thread would be better than white/light grey?

I asked about the thread color when I visited DMC-CA several months ago. Apparently they tried grey thread at first, but found that it didn't match the threads elsewhere in most interiors that have been sun bleached white over time.

Rad Dad
10-29-2013, 09:44 PM
My stitching is black. I would not have accepted white. It is visible, but very subtle.

Dick Ryan

Delorean Industries
10-29-2013, 10:04 PM
My stitching is black. I would not have accepted white. It is visible, but very subtle.

Dick Ryan

We tried going with gray on our gray recovers. Also tried black and orange. For some reason it really conflicts with the gray interior if it isn't off white. But on black you can do a bunch of neat things.

thirdmanj
10-30-2013, 07:05 AM
I really love the recovered binnacles. Better than the stock. I almost wish that 1258s was f-cked up so I could justify getting one. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep taking care of it and wait for nature to take its course...

RammJaeger
10-30-2013, 04:05 PM
I really love the recovered binnacles. Better than the stock. I almost wish that 1258s was f-cked up so I could justify getting one. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep taking care of it and wait for nature to take its course...

If yours is black I can certainly arrange a trade for my cracked one so that you have what you are looking for :)

mluder
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM

If it's grey, I would be more than happy to trade my slightly cracked one for your's.

Cheers
Steve

thirdmanj
10-30-2013, 08:30 PM
If it's grey, I would be more than happy to trade my slightly cracked one for your's.

Cheers
Steve

If yours is black I can certainly arrange a trade for my cracked one so that you have what you are looking for :)

"almost"

GS450-Junkie
10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
But on black you can do a bunch of neat things.

Got any pics??

jeff
11-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I've actually found it quite difficult to buy a recovered binnacle. Vendors don't seem to carry binnacles ready to sell and the prices aren't consistent. For those of you who have purchased binnacles, were you able to buy them off the shelf, or did you have to first remove yours and ship it to your preferred vendor? What did you pay?

I'm assuming that DMC Houston, California, Midwest, Northwest and Florida would use different upholsterers to recover their binnacles. Does one vendor provide a better recovered binnacle then others?

If DMC Houston can't provide perfect binnacles, surely the binnacles would be good enough to be recovered. They should use the less than perfect binnacles as a base for their vendors to recover them. Thus negating owners needing to take off theirs to have them recovered.