PDA

View Full Version : Hagerty won't renew my policy

Stainless
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I got a notification in the mail yesterday from Hagerty Insurance stating that my DeLorean insurance policy will not be renewed because of information contained in a consumer report about me. It then had a phone number for the consumer report company if I had any inquiries.

I called the place and they will be sending me a copy of the consumer report, but it basically sounded like my policy would not be renewed because I had made a claim on my insurance. I won't know for sure until I get the report in 4 to 7 business days, but this has got to be the reason, right? What good is insurance if you can't make a claim without them dropping you from coverage?

This totally took me by surprise. Granted, this was my first year using Hagerty, and my claim was roughly $2,700 (wheel fell off on the interstate), but I was planning on staying with them for the long haul to eventually repay them for their great coverage. Has anyone else had a similar experience with any insurance providers (homeowners, auto, etc.)?

dvonk
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
not auto, but my girlfriend's parents have a home they are trying to sell. Farmers sent them a notice at the end of 2011 to notify them they were getting dropped because of 'excessive claims'... apparently two claims in the past 3 (i think) years is too many. granted, one of the claims was for a new roof (thanks to a lovely hailstorm), but isnt that WHY you get insurance?

stupid. :shameful:

Mike C.
03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
that's the beauty of today's insurance world. You can pay for your policy, but don't you DARE ask them to do what you are paying for.

In the collector car world, that's not the first time I've heard about that. I know that's what insurance is for, but honestly, with a new policy, they now see you as a risk. I know it's not intentional, but I say try Grundy or another collector car company.

Stainless
03-02-2012, 06:23 PM
that's the beauty of today's insurance world. You can pay for your policy, but don't you DARE ask them to do what you are paying for.

In the collector car world, that's not the first time I've heard about that. I know that's what insurance is for, but honestly, with a new policy, they now see you as a risk. I know it's not intentional, but I say try Grundy or another collector car company.

I might not have any other choice. I'm interested to see what the report will say, but I don't know if there is much hope in disputing it if it because I had a large claim during my first year. I'll provide updates when I receive the report.

Ryan
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM

+1000

TTait
03-02-2012, 10:25 PM
They paid the claim, right?

Really that's the deal. If they don't want you after that they can either not renew, or be passive aggressive and raise their rates. As long as they pay while you are covered, thats really all you can ask of them - they are not your friends and either of you are free to cancel at any time.

I put in a claim against Metropolitan, and they were glad to renew my policy, but the rate went way up. I chose to leave them.

Unfortunately, if you make a claim the rates usually go up. In theory, that keeps rates lower for those who don't.

Morpheus
03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Heacock Classic.

Better customer service and less expensive than Hagerty. True story.

http://www.heacockclassic.com/

DL4567
03-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I looked into Hagerty when I first got my DeLorean, and they weren't very nice to me.

Therefore, they suck! :)

03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I tried Hagerty a while back and they were extremely pricey. From what I understand, they are better suited for the really old and rare cars, and that their service is exceptional when trying to locate the most rare, almost non existent part for the even rarer car. Apparently, they will go to all lengths to find parts for you in the event of a loss...think Pierce Arrow and the like.

I stumbled upon an agent called Collector Car Insurance in Spencerville, Indiana that has both DeLorean's insured through Infinity Insurance Company. The people at Collector Car are very nice, helpful and dedicated. They are easy to work with and are never negative about anything.

Both cars are on an agreed value policy:
1981 for $34,000
1983 for $36,750

Coverage:
Full Glass
Personal Injury $5000
Bodily Injury $500,000 CSL (Combined Single Limit)
Property Damage Liability $500,000 CSL
Car Damage by Collision $0 Deductible
Car Damage - other than Collision $0 Deductible
Un(Under) insured Motorist $500,000 CSL

Mileage Plan & Cost
1981 1,200/year at $222/year
1983 1,200/year at $177/year
TOTAL: $399/year

Optional Mileage Plan & Cost:
1981 6,000/year at $263/year
1983 6,000/year at $221/year
TOTAL: $484/year

I'm 35 years old and the only one listed on the policy. I have one red light violation on my driving record and nothing else. I had a windshield claim with them on the 1983 about 3 years back. I opted for OEM glass and had Rob Grady do the install. The bill was over $1,000 and they didn't give Rob or myself any grief. There was nothing about dropping me or increasing my rates. I am actually paying less than ever before, even though my agreed value has been increasing each year. Moving from Connecticut to Arizona actually cost me less (anything is better than the North East). They encourage that the cars be used.

Collector Car Insurance: 800-787-7637

Good luck!

Fluxat88MPH
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I had Hagerty for several yrs and their rates got higher and higher. I then went to Heacock a yr ago and its 1/3 of what hagerty was for the same coverage. Never had to deal with them over a claim thanfully.

Heacock Classic.

Better customer service and less expensive than Hagerty. True story.

http://www.heacockclassic.com/

Evildeli
03-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I had Hagerty. They wouldn't cover my cracked windshield. I switched shortly after.

Ryan King
03-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Hagerty paid out 10k to fix my car when I got into an accident and they didn't drop me

Stainless
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I got a call from Hagerty yesterday to let me know that they had done a "random" household check and received a non-renewal notice for me because my wife's license had expired back in December.

I called my wife and had her check her license, and it has indeed expired without her even realizing it. I just have to provide an image of her renewed license and I can renew.

Now that I have been shopping around, I have found that Heacock Classic will insure my car for a $5,000 agreed value higher than Hagerty for nearly half the price! As much as I love Hagerty, I may have to jump ship if they don't come down in their price.

Morpheus
03-06-2012, 10:38 PM
As much as I love Hagerty, I may have to jump ship if they don't come down in their price.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...

Bruce Johnson
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
:angry_whip: Hagerty! I called them yesterday to try to get them to lift the driving restriction on both my sons, 22 and 24 that has been on the policy for 2 years running. Their last "speeding" tickets were in '08 and '09 respectively and were both 5 miles over in a 25mph zone. Not only wouldn't Hagerty lift the restriction, the oldest now has to wait until he is 26 and the youngest 24! And yep, they wouldn't budge. Heacock and Classic Car Ins. have age restrictions so I am now considering Condon-Skelly with no age, or their past violation restrictions. Annual premium for four cars, 2 D's a '64 Plymouth Convertible and a '58 DeSoto 4-door with agreed values totaling 135K at the same coverage as Hagerty is $731.00, 10 bucks more than my increased renewal amount. Looks like I'm changing companies IF Condon-Skelly check out. Has anyone heard of or use these folks?

Bruce

DL4567
03-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. To elaborate on my previous Hagerty-hating post, when I inquired about getting insurance with them, they asked if I had any speeding tickets. I think I had 2 in the few years prior, and when I answered them that, they suddenly were like (imagine extremely snobby voice) "SIR!!!! We wouldn't piss on people with ANY speeding ticket if they were on FIRE!!!" Not exactly in those words, but that was their attitude. I think the only people they really want to insure are 85 year old billionaires who transport their 1912 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance once a year.

I can vouch for the above poster writing about Infinity. That's who I ended up with through my family's insurance agent, and they have been great. Agreed value, several thousand miles a year mileage allowance, for about $400 per year. Granted, I haven't had to make any claims (fingers crossed), but no complaints about their service so far whatsoever.