PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 83 Deloreans:

Chris Burns
03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
So are the 82/83 Deloreans basically the same except the 83's were built by Consolidated?

ccurzio
03-05-2012, 08:58 AM
All DeLoreans are "basically the same" with a few changes here and there that were evolutionary changes, and not necessarily tied to model year. (The DeLorean lettering on the flat hood on most 1983s, for example.)

That being said, most of the changes took place between 81 and 82, so the 82 and 83 cars are far more similar than 81s are to either.

Chris Burns
03-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Cool thanks man! Reason why I asked was because of the DCS raffle car being a 83. The car will be in the St Patricks Day parade in Cleveland soon, so some new pics of it will be popping up somewhere.

dmcjohn
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Chris,

This is what I think is accurate:

Consolidated didn't build any DeLoreans. A very slimmed down crew of DMCL workers in Dunmurry finished off the remaining cars on the line towards the latter half of 82 - these and any unsold cars were titled as 83's and sold by Consolidated as such.

John

Mike C.
03-05-2012, 11:35 AM
83's were coated in unicorn blood and run on Leprechaun gold.

Chris Burns
03-05-2012, 12:20 PM
You are one of the most outspoken people in the Delorean community Mike.

sean
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Apparently you dont know the community that well.

Dangermouse
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Chris,

This is what I think is accurate:

Consolidated didn't build any DeLoreans. A very slimmed down crew of DMCL workers in Dunmurry finished off the remaining cars on the line towards the latter half of 82 - these and any unsold cars were titled as 83's and sold by Consolidated as such.

John

That is my understanding also.

To say that Consolidated built them is akin to saying the British Gov't built the '81s.

As an aside, some of the ones built towards the end were such garbage, they couldn't give them away, even in a raffle. :rofl:

j/k obviously

qwerk
83's were coated in unicorn blood and run on Leprechaun gold.

Mr. Fusion will do Leprechaun gold? Damn.

Mike C.

:D I don't even come CLOSE! lol!

Rich W
03-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Open to debate.

Consolidated "may be credited" with building (or contracting to have built)
the final DeLorean, the third "factory" Gold car, with the spare Gold panels.

Later,
Rich W.

Note: Other very late 83's did not use an early underbody, early panels, etc.

Mike C.
03-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Open to debate.

No, im pretty sure about the unicorn blood and leprechaun gold.... :lol:

dmcjohn
03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Didn't they just swap the last set of gold panels onto a car that they thought was the last one built? I mean, it was already a Dunmurry built car, but they modified it to be a gold car...

timothymoore
03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
here's a Q, if consolidated was contracted to have the rest of the DMC-12s built or whatnot, why didnt they just keep production going?

Sidaries
03-06-2012, 12:51 AM
here's a Q, if consolidated was contracted to have the rest of the DMC-12s built or whatnot, why didnt they just keep production going?

Consolidated was too late for that. Sir Kenneth Cork wrote a lot about the receivership. You can read the first two parts here:
Review (http://www.webspawner.com/users/dmcguy/index.html)

Nicholas R
03-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Cool thanks man! Reason why I asked was because of the DCS raffle car being a 83. The car will be in the St Patricks Day parade in Cleveland soon, so some new pics of it will be popping up somewhere.

Actually it's the Cincinnati St. Patricks Day Parade. I know because I'm the one driving it. :biggrin:

timothymoore
03-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Consolidated was too late for that. Sir Kenneth Cork wrote a lot about the receivership. You can read the first two parts here:
Review (http://www.webspawner.com/users/dmcguy/index.html)

thanks, even though we can still buy parts today, its sad that no one tried (aside from JZD) to take over production of this awesome car. but i have one so its all good.