PDA

View Full Version : Avatars, signatures, and message count

stevedmc
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Does the new forum support images for avatars and signatures? I couldnt figure out how to upload my new signature image.

And is is possible to get our message count reset? I had just passed the 1,000 mark a few weeks before the forum went down.

Btw, its great to see things are coming back. Thanks.

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 02:30 PM
HAHAHA! Welcome back, Steve! Don't worry about your post count. When the archives are brought over, the counts should carry into the forum, and these new ones will just tabulate on into them.

The new forum definitely does support avatars and signatures. You should be able to attach them under "My Profile".

DeLorean03
05-24-2011, 02:33 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79&d=1306262291

I second the avatar part. There is no option allowing us to add an avatar. We are only given the option to select "Do Not Use an Avatar."

Wonderful to see the forum coming back. I'll be downloading ALL technical/ DIY's/How-to's from now on. This was a good learning experience.

I did download all the wiring schematics, as well as the Bulkhead Connector Reference Sheet. Should I post those, or should we just wait for them to come back online as noted in Tamir's "Read this before registering" post?

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Oh howdy Jer! :D

Feel free to post up whatever you want! I keep telling everyone, if you want to post up on how to adjust a headlight, or how to install wiper blades, you are more than welcome to!

Sean is looking into the avatar/sigs right now. I thought they were turned on.

sean
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Fixed. Sorry about that guys!

Domi
05-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Everything works fine now for the avatar.

DeLorean03
05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I lost my "snoozing" avatar after 8 solid years.... :'( .....time for a "happy guy" !

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Oh, also forgot to add...

I have loaded the original default avatars from the old site back onto the server. As soon as i get back to my place, I will activate those as well ;)

Fluxat88MPH
05-24-2011, 03:50 PM
This is awsome, been going through withdrawals. I will have to wait to get on my computer at home to start uploading stuff. Moderators do you know if we will get all our old private emails back as well? I know I got a lot of info stored on there from other members.

DMCH James
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
If it's coming back, do you really want us to start uploading and re-posting the old stuff/info we have saved/archived on our local machines? Seems like that will just make for a huge mess when the old data does come back at some point...please let us know.

James

SamHill
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Amazing how the internets lost their luster for me once this site was gone. Welcome back.

RamonetB
05-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Amazing how the internets lost their luster for me once this site was gone. Welcome back.

Ditto.
Good to see it's coming back! I was mourning the loss of information on this site! There's no way I could have gotten all the stuff done on the D that I have without you guys.

*clings to everyone and the site*

This ends my tearful regreetings. :p

Dracula
05-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I do hope to see my post count restored; at the same time, I was also tempted to register as "Dracula" instead so that my license plate and username match; alas, maybe after the synchronizing is complete, it can be altered.

All-in-all, it seems that I've been recalled to life.

Delorean02378
05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Questions

1. Should we upload/repost pictures that were previously in our profile? Will my old albums come back since I used the same User ID?

2. Will the Events/Car Shows from the old forum be posted to the new?

3. Why do the Red Sox always lose to the Yankees? :-)

Glad you guys are back!

Kirk

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi Chad! Great to see you! Just remind me about changing your user name when we are done with everything. I'll be more than happy to change your name.

Stay safe!

-Mike

Michael
05-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I decided to change my user name to my first name instead of talonlover. Hope that doesn't cause any confusion. I hope not as there are a few album pics I.didnt have backed up.

dvonk
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
wonderful to have the forum back! its actually alright for me that its been down; my girlfriend had a stroke due to a freak accident and ive been spending most my time in the hospital. luckily she is young and in good health so she should continue to recover quickly.

today has been full of good news, though--she gets discharged on Friday, and DMCTalk is back! 8)

good to see you guys (and a couple girls ;)) again!

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Oh man! That's pretty intense! Im glad to hear they are discharging her! Best wishes for her speedy recovery!

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, it's totally fine to post things that were already on the old site. When we do the re-merge, we will manually move the posts associated with already existing articles onto the archived information.

RE: avatars, the DMCTalk stock avatars are now up for you to enjoy!

Renee_1632
05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Thank God this is back up. My car decided to have...Delorean issues day after dmctalk died.

Just as an FYI, my username was LadyL391 on the old forum...totally changed it BEFORE I read Tamir's "Keep it the same" post. My bad.

And I miss that "twisted" smiley...any ways to get it back?

I'm also really glad to hear all that information is safe.

Mike C.
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Oh hi there! No problem, I will change your user name back to LadyL for the time being.

If you see a smiley that you miss, send me a PM with a link to it, and i'll be more than happy to upload it!

Welcome back, Renee!

Ryan King
05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Is there any way you can add the option in your Profile for your VIN#? I liked how the old forum had that.

Morpheus
05-24-2011, 07:18 PM
^+1.

Also, can we add a "Daily Driver" category under the DMC VIN? That way, those of us without a D or who use a different car daily have something to put there.

Karin
05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Got my avatar up. I am really gonna have to have the time to make a new one though. :p

stevedmc
05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Got my avatar up too. Now I just need a signature image and I'm good to go.

Dangermouse
05-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Btw, what's with all this "junior member" tag above our avatar. I too want to be a "ninja" like Mike. :) Will this become editable in the forthcoming days, or do we have to post like crazy to get to the next level, what ever that may be?

dvonk
05-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Oh man! That's pretty intense! Im glad to hear they are discharging her! Best wishes for her speedy recovery!

thanks mike. she is only 28 years old! :confused: she still has alot of therapy/rehab to do to fully regain her speech and the full use of the right side of her body, but shes made such great progress so far they are discharging her. its very encouraging. i know we'll both be glad when she gets to come home! :)

[/OFF TOPIC] ;)

Conundrum
05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
Will there be anything like Smartphone access (Android, BB, etc.)?

Dracula
05-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Hi Chad! Great to see you! Just remind me about changing your user name when we are done with everything. I'll be more than happy to change your name.

Stay safe!

-Mike

No problem; I'll be sure to remind you then. For the mean time, I missed this forum and the new layout feels nice and clean.

Mike C.
05-25-2011, 08:29 AM
MASS REPLY 8)

Is there any way you can add the option in your Profile for your VIN#? I liked how the old forum had that.

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the reminder! I will add that to the list for the next couple o' days and get that back up along with the car club tags!

Got my avatar up too. Now I just need a signature image and I'm good to go.

Are you still unable to put a pic in the sig? I will fire up our test account and check on that. Sorry for the delay Steve! I'll get that sorted out today.

Btw, what's with all this "junior member" tag above our avatar. I too want to be a "ninja" like Mike. :) Will this become editable in the forthcoming days, or do we have to post like crazy to get to the next level, what ever that may be?

You have to be a ninja ;) No worries! I will activate the custom user title option today.

Will there be anything like Smartphone access (Android, BB, etc.)?

Conundrum, are you having issues with the forum on a smartphone? We tested it on my Android and Tamir's iphone and everything was viewable.

No problem; I'll be sure to remind you then. For the mean time, I missed this forum and the new layout feels nice and clean.

Glad you like it!

sean
05-25-2011, 09:25 AM

User titles can now be customized. Working on the rest.

sean
05-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Sig pictures are a go.

SamHill
05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I was going to lightly complain about the first page of dmctalk.org being useless when we all just want the forum categories listed, but, meh, I'll just bookmark the 2nd page.

sean
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I was going to lightly complain about the first page of dmctalk.org being useless when we all just want the forum categories listed, but, meh, I'll just bookmark the 2nd page.
What are you talking about? When I type this (http://dmctalk.org) into my browser it takes me to the forum with a list of all the categories. What is it doing for you?

Ozzie
05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
My 1st post on the DMCTalk.org!

So good to have this resource back.
A big thanks to Tamir, the Mods, and any one else involved, for all their work and dedication to get the site back up.

Mike C.
05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Welcome Ozzie! Hope you had a safe trip!

Karin
05-25-2011, 06:51 PM
My 1st post on the DMCTalk.org!

So good to have this resource back.
A big thanks to Tamir, the Mods, and any one else involved, for all their work and dedication to get the site back up.

Welcome back. Complimentary cookies and punch.

Dangermouse
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
So when the message count is restored, will I have a join date of May 2011 but my old message count of ~2000 :angel:

Awesome! Hope my boss doesn't see that.

stevedmc
05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Sig pictures are a go.

I still cant do signature pictures. Is something wrong with my account?

Mike C.
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Steve, try it now.

The option for the upload field for the signature picture was turned off. I turned it on to see if we have any resizing needs. The imbedding codes using the [img] code works as normal if you manually enter the pictures url. But you should be able to upload directly now.

-Mike

wiresman
05-26-2011, 01:29 PM
:wave:, Great job getting forum back up and running...A BIG thanks to everyone that made this possible :cheers: