PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C AC and Fans

dmcburn75
06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Ok so here is the problem. I'll turn the AC and fans on and everything will be running ok albeit not very cold. After maybe 5-10min the fans will just shut off for 1-5min even though the switch is still at high. Once they come back on the AC is noticable colder. Any thoughts on the cause of this? Thanks!

Danny

DMCMW Dave
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Low on freon. The fans go on and off with the compressor. The compressor goes on and off with freon pressure. If the freon is low there isn't enough pressure in the system so it shuts off more than on.

dmc6960
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Would like to clarify something, are you talking about the radiator cooling fans? Or the blower motor for the AC vents?

Bitsyncmaster
06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
If you mean the blower fans shut off then your fan circuit breaker is not a 30 amp unit or is bad.

They used a 25 amp breaker and changed it to a 30 amp because of this problem.

stevedmc
06-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Is the blower shutting off after 5 or 10 minutes? If so you need to replace your 25 amp AC circuit breaker with a 30 amp unit. You can get a new one for about $3 at Autozone.

If the air isn't cold you need to check your freon level. It is probably low and needs to be recharged. Mine quit blowing cold a few weeks ago. I checked the level and found it was very low. Upon further inspection I found a loose connection on the AC acumulator.

I tightened the connection, "properly" evacuated the system, put a vacuum on the system for 45 minutes, and then started filling the system back up. As a precaution I started with 3 ounces of dye/leak sealer, and then finished the job off with a little over 3 twelve ounce cans of r134a. Never use a can of refridgerant that has added oil. It will only cause problems.

Keep in mind I converted from r134a about 6 months ago. If you are still running r12 you will need to either use r12 or convert to the cheaper r134a if you are going to vacuum and refill the system.

If you want to convert you can follow Bills instructions located at
http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/r134_v2.html

David T
06-09-2011, 01:06 PM
You should have the "Relay Upgrade Kit" which includes uprated circuit breakers for the cooling fans and the heater/A/C fan installed. If the heater fan is making any bearing noises it should be replaced, it will draw too much current.
David Teitelbaum