PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Fascia Paint Codes/Considerations for shop

Ashyukun
06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm going to be taking my fascias in to be refinished in the next few weeks. I'd hoped to do it myself, but time and equipment constraints seem to lean toward it being better to just have them done for me (best quote I've had from a place I'd trust was $600 for both). I'd like to be able to give them all the paint code information to make things as easy for them as possible- there used to be a lot more that I could find on the old forums, but the only one that I've been able to find has been the Ditzler DBU/DAU 33584 code. Does anyone have the newer/equivalent ones?

Also, the specifics of what finish is appropriate for my '83 would be good, as well as any special considerations/instructions- I'll be making sure they know the paint will need to be able to flex a good bit to be able to reinstall the fascias, and I'll be having them paint in the logo on the back one (I consider this a highway safety feature- before I painted it in myself, people would get a LOT closer to the rear bumper trying to read what it said :bang: ), but anything else that might be easy to overlook would be good to know.

I'll be removing them myself and bringing them in- there's not a shop within the state that I'd really trust doing it for me, and I'll be doing some work on them (fixing eyebrows, replacing broken studs on the lower rear...) before taking them in.

Thanks!

Michael
06-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I will pull them up later today or tonight for you.

Ashyukun
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I will pull them up later today or tonight for you.

Thanks!

1batt4u
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Whas there 2 different paints between the early cars and later cars?? I remember an old thread, mentioning that the early cars fascia were slight darker in color than the later cars.

Ashyukun
06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Whas there 2 different paints between the early cars and later cars?? I remember an old thread, mentioning that the early cars fascia were slight darker in color than the later cars.

That's what I remember something along the lines of as well- or at least that they'd been a higher-gloss for one set of cars and a more matte finish for another. Not that my car is anywhere near a contender for a concours car (the carb kind of stands out from stock ;) ), but I'd prefer having the right paint and finish for it if I can since I'm re-doing it anyway...

mluder
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
If memory serves me... I beleive the Concours talks about high gloss vs more matte finish and a change mid year on the '81s.

The Concours manual is available on-line somewhere and is a good resource if you just wann know how your car was originally.

Steve

Patrick C
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Does anyone have the newer/equivalent ones?

Just had my '81 fascias repainted with 2011 Jeep Mineral Grey Metallic paint. Came out great!

Michael
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I checked my database and I could not pull the formula. I will get them for you in plenty of time though, I just have to look harder. I do know that the code is under "fleet vehicles" but after opening the "Delorean" folder, there was nothing in it. I know it's there, I just have to look. If worse comes to worse, I will get the formula on my next trip to the paint store(I go once a week).

Ron
06-10-2011, 08:58 PM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?349-Paint-Codes&p=2615#post2615

Ashyukun
06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks Ron, I'm pretty sure that's what I was thinking of.

I'm hoping to have the Saturn out of the garage tomorrow and the DeLorean in, so if I'm quick about it I may be able to get the rear fascia to the paint shop on Wednesday to get started on it- not that I really have a whole lot of reason to hurry, since all the work that I'll be doing before they go back on will take a while, and I don't even have all the parts in yet... :p

Ozzie
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Just had my '81 fascias repainted with 2011 Jeep Mineral Grey Metallic paint. Came out great!

That's kind of neat to use an existing available modern paint code.
Can you post a pic or two?

Patrick C
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Not the best picture, but mine is the D on the right.

Ozzie
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
From what I can see, I like it. Thx.

1batt4u
06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Not the best picture, but mine is the D on the right.

What did you use for the black on the bumper?

Ashyukun
07-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Just got the call from the shop that the fascias are done! And rather surprisingly, they said it took a lot less work than expected, so they're charging me almost 1/3 less than the original quote!

I can only carry one comfortably in my car at a time, so I'm going to go pick up the first over lunch and the second after work. I'll take pictures and put them up when I get back after work.

Patrick C
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
What did you use for the black on the bumper?

They used gloss black paint. I love it!

Ashyukun
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Fetched the front fascia from the shop over lunch, and I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. It looks a bit more metallic than I expected it to, but I definitely like the way it looks- and it's infinitely better than how it was before.

My only slight gripe would be that they took my direction to not do anything to the unpainted areas a bit more literally than I would have liked, and they still need cleaning up. But, if the tradeoff was saving $150 and having to do a bit of work myself cleaning up the raw black plastic, that's a trade I'd take any day of the week!

I'll post pics when I get back after work with the rear one.

Patrick C
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Fetched the front fascia from the shop over lunch, and I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. It looks a bit more metallic than I expected it to, but I definitely like the way it looks- and it's infinitely better than how it was before.

Did you use the 2011 Chrysler Mineral Grey Metallic as well?

Ashyukun
07-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Did you use the 2011 Chrysler Mineral Grey Metallic as well?
I gave the paint shop the original bulletin that was posted with the original stock paint codes for the fascias, but also gave them that if it was impossible to come up with that paint that the Mineral Grey Metallic was an acceptable alternative. They said they'd initially been concerned after pulling up the info for the paint code that it was too dark and had done their own research on it and come up with exactly what I'd given them, so I get the impression they used the original paint code.

I'll check for certain when I pick up the rear one in a few hours. I won't have any real complaints if they used the newer paint- it really does look quite good regardless of what code they used, and the newer paint would likely be easier to find touch-up paint for if/when it gets scratched...

Ashyukun
07-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Oh shoot, I forgot to ask exactly which paint code they used when I picked up the rear... oh well, I'll be back here Wednesday dropping off some parts to be powder coated, I'll just have to remember to ask then.

As promised here are the pictures. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to get good shots to really show how good the painted part looks.. and it still looks like crap with the un-cleaned unpainted portions. I need to figure out how to best 'refresh' the unpainted parts.

The last one shows something of what I meant about it seeming 'more metallic' than I expected- though more accurate I think would be to say that it seems like there's larger metallic grains than I expected.

Still, they're infinitely better than they were before, and I ended up paying about the minimum I could have hoped for it as well.

jmrydholm
07-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Nice! I need to have 10715's fascias repainted as well. "Mineral Grey?" I actually like the metallic flecks.

Ashyukun
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Nice! I need to have 10715's fascias repainted as well. "Mineral Grey?" I actually like the metallic flecks.

I'm not sure if it's what they used or if it was the original paint code. I'm hoping to remember to ask when I go by tomorrow to drop off some parts to be powder coated...

jawn101
07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure if it's what they used or if it was the original paint code. I'm hoping to remember to ask when I go by tomorrow to drop off some parts to be powder coated...

Did you find out which paint code was applied? Somewhere along the line, a PO applied a coat over the original paint on my fascias that was clearly intended to "match" the stainless... but just looks wrong. Much too light. And it's peeling in some places, revealing spots of dark underneath. Oh, and they only did the upper halves - the paint below the black trim line is original. A real expert job. :)

Ashyukun
07-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Did you find out which paint code was applied? Somewhere along the line, a PO applied a coat over the original paint on my fascias that was clearly intended to "match" the stainless... but just looks wrong. Much too light. And it's peeling in some places, revealing spots of dark underneath. Oh, and they only did the upper halves - the paint below the black trim line is original. A real expert job. :)

I did ask when I picked up the powder coats parts a few days ago- they used the Jeep paint code (it matched back to a Chrysler code too, apparently)

I got the fascias on today, but didn't take time to take pictures as I was scrambling to get everything together to get the car to the exhaust shop... they look INCREDIBLE though compared to how they were before...

Ashyukun
07-20-2011, 11:02 PM
It's not the best picture- and the fascia is unfortunately rather dusty which showed up really heavily thanks to the flash- but here's the installed front fascia...
And to contrast, a similar shot from when I was removing the fascia before it was repainted...

dvonk
07-21-2011, 12:15 AM
nice, amazing improvement! 8)

cpistocco
10-01-2015, 11:08 AM
That's kind of neat to use an existing available modern paint code.
Can you post a pic or two?

The code for mineral gray met. is 2011 Chrysler pdm or cdm. Another good code is alpha romeo 651 a. I recommend Basecoat/ ctear coat urethane. Do not forget to add flex agent to primer/ sealer and flex agent / flattener to your clear coat.

cpistocco
10-01-2015, 11:13 AM
I checked my database and I could not pull the formula. I will get them for you in plenty of time though, I just have to look harder. I do know that the code is under "fleet vehicles" but after opening the "Delorean" folder, there was nothing in it. I know it's there, I just have to look. If worse comes to worse, I will get the formula on my next trip to the paint store(I go once a week).

The code for mineral gray met. is 2011 Chrysler "pdm" or "cdm". Another good code is alpha romeo "651 a". I recommend Basecoat/ clear coat urethane. Do not forget to add flex agent to primer/ sealer and flex agent/ flattener to your clear coat.