PDA

View Full Version : Wanted OEM Lighted Door Key

TripleZeroFilms
03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Hey all!

I have an early VIN car, 781, and as such have the old two-key system and locks. The two sets of keys the car came with are both copies/reproductions. I'd really like to get a set of door keys that actually say "DMC." Now, I can buy blanks of the ignition key from DMCH but they no longer carry or support the original door keys or locking system (though you can buy the key half of the original door key, it will be missing the other half and the internal workings).

As such I'm looking to see if anyone might have an original door key (or the parts DMC no longer sells) they are willing to part with. I believe DMC used to sell kits for those keys so perhaps someone has one of them or parts from their old key lying around.http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/images/keys/keys.jpg

I'm looking for the key (or parts for it) on the far left.

(And yes, I'm aware I *could* convert my door locks to my ignition and thus only need one key, but I'd much rather stay as original to my car as possible.)

Thanks!

DMC5180
03-10-2012, 01:57 PM
The Left key in the photo is a Remanufactured Key (106245) that has been made with the ONE KEY system Blank in it. Notice that it matches the standard ignition blank VS the the shorter WR code key on the Right. DMCH had the New style illuminated keys made a few years ago. I would Contact DMCH or your favorite Affiliate too see if they still have some on the shelf. (Delorean.com) does not take into account what the Affiliates have in there inventories.

They were originally priced at $29.95 for the complete key uncut. It would require upgrading the the lock sets with rekeyed ones to match your ignition if you find one.

TripleZeroFilms
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
My bad, I misspoke in my original post. I'm looking for the key on the far RIGHT. As I mentioned before I have the old two key system and would like to keep it (and delorean.com sells the key half of the blank for that WR key). So I'm really looking for someone who perhaps upgraded their two key system to a one key and held on to their old lighted door key (as I'll just swap the key half with one cut for my door).

DMC5180
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM
The key half that DMCH sells now is the NOS WR CUT key of the Left Key pictured. http://store.delorean.com/p-9486-cut-key-wr.aspx I believe they have a bunch of these pre-cut keys they can try to match to your KEY CODE to or re-key your locks to match a key. This is the key style your car most likely came with.

I have one of the other style (right) illuminated keys. It is built differently than the left style. I removed the (removable) WR blank from mine and converted it to the ONE Key style. FWIW I bought it years ago as a blank from a private party. I've never heard if that key was Factory issued with a specific VIN range of cars. But it is a seldom seen RARE version. It may have only been a dealer available option.

As for the (left) key I have have a used one with the guts that I would part with If I can find it in my collection stuff. I originally bought it with the thoughts of modifying it for the ONE key system. I never did it because DMCH made the Late style version of it so I did that instead. I'll do some digging Next week and see if I can find it if your interested. Worst case you would have to buy the WR (left style) cut key from DMCH and the other pieces from from me or someone else.

TripleZeroFilms
03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Well, if you can find it feel free to shoot me some pictures as I'd love to see it and perhaps make a deal.

DMC5180
03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Argh, wish I'd seen your post sooner. I won't be able to look for it till next week. You may want to contact DMCH with your door Lock Key CODE it should be written on the door under the Headlinder panel. It should be shown (WRxxxx) do not confuse it with the VIN number which also may be written on there too. See if they have a pre-cut blank to match it.

03-17-2012, 12:33 PM
FWIW, I believe that Rob Grady has the key blank pictured on the right that you are looking for.

A few years back, I asked him if he had the left side blank available, but he didn't. He showed me the only type he had in stock, and it was the one you are looking for. As I understand, it was for the very early cars.

Hope this helps!

TripleZeroFilms
03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
FWIW, I believe that Rob Grady has the key blank pictured on the right that you are looking for.

A few years back, I asked him if he had the left side blank available, but he didn't. He showed me the only type he had in stock, and it was the one you are looking for. As I understand, it was for the very early cars.

Hope this helps!

I've actually contacted Rob and was informed that (at least anymore) the only "door key" they have available is just the ignition key head (middle) cut as a door key. Functional, yes, but not quite what I'm looking for. Perhaps they did have the others a few years ago but I guess they must have sold out and just never replenished the stock (most likely since very few owners still use the original two key system as many have switched to the one key).

However, if you know anyone who may have purchased that key and has since switched to the one key or would just be willing to part with it, let me know :)

03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I just ordered some parts from Rob and asked if he still had in stock the key pictured on the right. He told me that he DOES have this key available.

If you are still looking for this part, give him a call...

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/images/keys/keys.jpg

TripleZeroFilms
03-19-2012, 11:04 PM
I just ordered some parts from Rob and asked if he still had in stock the key pictured on the right. He told me that he DOES have this key available.

If you are still looking for this part, give him a call...

He did? That's not what I was told.... :hmm:

For reference, what did you call it (i.e. part name, or describe it since he obviously couldn't see the picture)? I want to make sure that when I call back he knows what I'm talking about. Also, you did call the parts order hotline, correct?

03-20-2012, 01:33 AM
I called it the very early lighted key, the one with the DMC logo over the silver button; the one that almost no one has ever seen or knows about.

I call his direct number, 631-589-6224. I don't like to use the toll free number since it costs more to receive a call on toll free lines than it does by me calling, long distance, from my land line phone.

I spoke with him earlier today (Monday) about it. I'll email him this thread so he can see what we are talking about.

TripleZeroFilms
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, I spoke with Rob again and it turns out he misunderstood what I was looking for when I first called in. They did end up having *very few* in stock. Pretty pricey, but considering the rarity that's understandable.

Anyway, I've already got my blank on order. So DMC5180, I guess I won't be needing those pieces after all. Thanks so much 20098 for helping me out! :aniclap:

+1 Karma for this wonderful board

BigBenb84
03-22-2012, 11:28 PM
So how much was one of those early lighted door keys?

I would want one cause I'm using the half-key door key from DMCH, ugly as hell.

But I installed Keyless entry (Wings-a-loft) and haven't used the door key since, or the door handles for that matter.

TripleZeroFilms
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
So how much was one of those early lighted door keys?

I would want one cause I'm using the half-key door key from DMCH, ugly as hell.

But I installed Keyless entry (Wings-a-loft) and haven't used the door key since, or the door handles for that matter.

The key blank was $50 (without shipping). I was told that he only had about 6 or so left, but at the same time I'm sure they're not exactly flying off the shelves either.

BigBenb84
03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
The key blank was $50 (without shipping). I was told that he only had about 6 or so left, but at the same time I'm sure they're not exactly flying off the shelves either.

Not interested at that price.

Nicholas R
03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
A long while ago Ken Koncelik made a small run of reproduction lighted door keys for the 2 key system. They were actually lighted door keys, not ignition keys (identical to the originals). Not sure if he has any left though.

DMC5180
03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
My guess is that those were the ones sold through the DMCH network. They are NLA.

I did some looking for the spare OEM Lighted key I have. So far I've not been able to locate it.

Glad you were able to get a complete key from Rob.