PDA

View Full Version : Car Show Season - Advice & Tips!

Dracula
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Since it's almost upon us, here are a few bits of information I'd like to share. When anyone says that "The DeLorean is slow" I typically respond that it's on par with the Corvettes and Ferraris of the year. To illustrate my point, here's a compairison:

DeLorean.......Corvette........Ferrari 308 GTSi
0-60 Times:
Alleged 8.6 ....Alleged 8.1...Alleged 7.9
Weight
2,840 lbs........3,345...........3,250 lbs
Horsepower
130 Hp............190 Hp........214 Hp
Power-to-weight ratio

Really, they're all close and by 1981 standards, there was nothing unacceptable about the DeLorean.

Anyone else care to share their baptized-by-stupid tips?

The last one I have is that, whatever you do, don't have a Flux Capacitor in your car and turn your back for a second. If you do, some idiot will spill soda on your seats and carpet while leaning in to see it.

Also, that's why the seat's sticky, I swear!

Michael
03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
My advice is avoid car shows like the plague and go to cruise-ins.

micmak
03-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I never understood why the DeLorean was labelled as being a slow car. Sure if you throw it down a ¼ mile it is slow, but in normal driving, I find it perfectly acceptable. I have a 1980 Vette with a 350 and an auto trans. The 5 speed DeLorean is no slower in normal REAL LIFE driving situations, and actually driving up through the gears might even be faster! It feels as if it is anyway. I think the whole title of being a slow car just caught on the same way as the cocaine in the door panels and is JZD still in jail, etc.

Dangermouse
03-18-2012, 11:41 AM
But just recently they tested a D against a minivan and the minivan won. Ergo it is slow and worthless.

Be prepared for that one :)

Chris Burns
03-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I never understood why the DeLorean was labelled as being a slow car. Sure if you throw it down a ¼ mile it is slow, but in normal driving, I find it perfectly acceptable. I have a 1980 Vette with a 350 and an auto trans. The 5 speed DeLorean is no slower in normal REAL LIFE driving situations, and actually driving up through the gears might even be faster! It feels as if it is anyway. I think the whole title of being a slow car just caught on the same way as the cocaine in the door panels and is JZD still in jail, etc.

People expected too much out of the car because of the high price tag it carried in 1981 and the sleek looks of it. I rode in a 1979 Ferrari 308 GTB yesterday with 255hp. That was considered a fast car in the early 80's. Now it's a cruiser/ gran touring car, but I like it! It was kind of like being in a slightly faster more expensive Delorean. I don't need the ultimate supercar to be happy, just a cool car.

Delorean owners are true car people. They work on their cars, they modify the cars to their liking. People who actually work on their cars (and fix it right) I admire.:headbang:

Karin
03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Maybe just have some copies of the Certificate of Originality or if that's how it's called just in case. Hand them to the first person that mentions anything of those bad rumors about the car or a bad BTTF joke.

Mike C.
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I dont know why everyone gets so defensive about how fast the car is compared to cars of the same era...

I flat out tell everyone it's slow. It was slow by those standards, and it's slow by today's standards. I deal with it, no harm no foul.

It's nice to know my ford focus daily driver is faster than something.

DMC3165
03-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Went to my first car show today. Turned out to be an unorganized import cruise in DISASTER! There must have been a 1000 cars trying to get into the place and then the cops came and busted it up. A total fiasco for me and my 6 year old son.

On a brighter note the D was very well recieved by that crowd aside from the usual BTTF comments every 3 secs. Most were generally interested in the car.

But that's the last time I do any of these by word of mouth!

sdg3205
03-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I've also heard (but can't back this up right now - think it's from one of the books) that giant conspiracy of negative press and reviews were birthed by the big boys (GM, Chrysler, Ford) who were afraid of DeLorean's success. Lets face it, up until the car rolled off the assembly line it was quick process.

ccurzio
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I dont know why everyone gets so defensive about how fast the car is compared to cars of the same era...

I flat out tell everyone it's slow. It was slow by those standards, and it's slow by today's standards. I deal with it, no harm no foul.

It's nice to know my ford focus daily driver is faster than something.

Pretty much this. Anytime someone tells me about how slow it is or how underpowered it is, I say "I know." Then I tell them I didn't buy a DeLorean because I wanted a fast and powerful car, I bought a DeLorean because I wanted a DeLorean. And hey, that's exactly what I got.

Chris Burns
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Pretty much this. Anytime someone tells me about how slow it is or how underpowered it is, I say "I know." Then I tell them I didn't buy a DeLorean because I wanted a fast and powerful car, I bought a DeLorean because I wanted a DeLorean. And hey, that's exactly what I got.

Well put! :thumbup:

vin6635
03-19-2012, 12:34 PM
This has probably been covered before, but the vin plate shows the weight at just under 3200 lbs. What's the delta between the 2800 above and the vin plate? Two adults? Gas?

DMCMW Dave
03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
This has probably been covered before, but the vin plate shows the weight at just under 3200 lbs. What's the delta between the 2800 above and the vin plate? Two adults? Gas?

Two avarage adults and average luggage. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The weight you see in magazine articles is emply.

Dangermouse
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Two avarage 1980s adults and average luggage. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The weight you see in magazine articles is emply.

Farrar
03-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I avoid any sort of activity where my car would be on display. That way I only have to deal with occasional bullshit, instead of a stream of it passing by my car for hours on end while I get sunburned and my girlfriend checks her watch. And I can leave at any time. :)

sadeeky
03-19-2012, 02:22 PM

So true. Why would I want to go fast in a Delorean anyway. The whole point is to drive slow and cruise so everyone can see a beautiful machine. Whats the rush anyway. HATERS

Farrar
03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
The whole point is to drive slow and cruise so everyone can see a beautiful machine.

I will start saying this when people start hating on my automatic. :lol:

sadeeky
03-20-2012, 12:44 AM
I will start saying this when people start hating on my automatic. :lol:

Tru I am with you on that. I drive an automatic and when Cruise down the road I dont want to have to worry about pushing down on that heavy ass clutch. I just want to pimp down the road

deloumis
03-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Tru I am with you on that. I drive an automatic and when Cruise down the road I dont want to have to worry about pushing down on that heavy ass clutch. I just want to pimp down the road

I wish I had a 5 speed. To many problems with my auto to love it.

Jacko
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Just about the 'funnest' car I ever had was a 1972 MG Midget. No way was that car about horsepower (about 78 HP I believe). It was all about handling and I got my jollies just trying to stay in the seat on curvy roads. I look at the Delorean that way ... horsepower? not a lot but enough to enjoy the ride!

pezzonovante88
03-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Just about the 'funnest' car I ever had was a 1972 MG Midget. No way was that car about horsepower (about 78 HP I believe). It was all about handling and I got my jollies just trying to stay in the seat on curvy roads. I look at the Delorean that way ... horsepower? not a lot but enough to enjoy the ride!

Horsepower? Where we're going we don't need horsepower.