PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Scavenger Hunt for Charity Please help!

brit0n
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi all! I hope this is the way I'm supposed to post this.

I'm part of team WearTheFoxHat which is based in London, England. I live in Franklin, GA (between LaGrange, Carrollton and Newnan.)

One of the challenges is:

"Great Scott! I invented a time machine. Let's go back to 1985. Get a photo of you and your team logo with a DeLorean. [30 points, +20 points if you're driving it]"

More points = more money for charity.

Do any of your members own a DeLorean somewhere within driving range of me? If so, would you let me get this photo?

You all know how rare these beauties are so I don't think many teams will complete this one which is why the points are generous.

Thanks for reading this. Sorry if it's not in the right place.

Dangermouse
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
It's posted in the right place.

(I saw this on the UK Delorean forum also  )

The first part is easy. Post your logo and we can get a pic with it.

Second might be more tricky. I think there is an owner in Fayetteville but he's not on here that often.

Edit : ok I just saw that it was a photo of you and the logo.

There are a few cars just north of the city if you would be willing to drive (Duluth, norcross etc)

brit0n
03-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks! Actually anyone can be holding the logo and email me the photo. As you can see, if they're in the driving seat with the wings closed (apparently driving?), that would get extra points!

I've attached the logo - this can be on paper, laptop, smartphone etc, but obviously the last two would be difficult from the drivers seat!

You can get me through PM or I think the board emails.

Thanks again.

awildermode
03-18-2012, 10:54 PM
More bonus points for driving and holding up the logo...while getting caught by a red light camera?

:mallet:

qwerk
03-18-2012, 11:05 PM
And here I thought this was another one of Steve's attempts to get laid

Dangermouse
03-18-2012, 11:08 PM
OP - is there a time limit on this? We are having a gtg on Sat if it can wait til then.

Mark C
03-18-2012, 11:23 PM
I may be the closest owner to Franklin, GA. PM sent with more info.

brit0n
03-18-2012, 11:24 PM
OP - is there a time limit on this? We are having a gtg on Sat if it can wait til then.

Yep! The hunt finishes at 6pm EDT March 25th so I'd want to get the pic emailed to them at the latest the 24th.

And haha to you two -very good especially as (a) I don't get laid (too old); and (b) I just got stopped by a cop for a traffic offense he invented lmao

brit0n
03-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Replied thanks.

Oh! And I checked and it was one of our team posting on the UK board. They're going to let me know if they find one, but apparently in the South of England they seem to be a well-kept secret!

brit0n
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Mark C is kindly letting me get the photograph.

Thanks everyone.

brit0n
03-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks everyone. Especially Mark who let an infidel enter the sacrosanct. You'll be pleased to know that your answers to my request bumped the team onto the leader board for the first time.

The organisers are adjusting the points for each task hopefully in favour of the people not in Austin TX (for SXSW or Stevie Ray Vaughn). So we're not sure if we made the daily prize.

For those interested, some links:

Main Scavenger Hunt incl. links to list of tasks and leadboard http://scavenger.freelancer.com/

Our Team: WearTheFoxHat resides on Twitter, Facebook and even Google+ (see task #8 <- that's eight - you're forum makes that into a smiley which causes havoc in phone numbers like 678 lol)

The task you so kindly helped with was #40 which I quoted up there somewhere ^^^

The charity the team selected (some teams are doing it for money :( ) is http://www.snehalaya.org/

Thanks all - I'm sure most teams who tried it gave up on that task especially the bonus points :) Shout out for Mark C!!!

And DeLorean? Well, I'm British so to me it was just a waste of taxpayers' pounds. But having seen and touched one, if I ever have any money I've gotta get me one of those! So make sure you keep yours in mint condition for me - ALL of you ;)

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Now you can't go through all of that and not show us the photo !!

brit0n
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Pictures later (I'm out of time this morning) but I thought you'd like to see the news9140

Our team is WearTheFoxHat (say that with an english accent thinking about WTF). The team got to #3 on the leader board now at #4 but they won yesterday' daily prize of $1,000 so far so good.

brit0n
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Pictures (hover over thumbnails for file names which are self-explanatory)

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Mark's is one of the nicest cars in the area; you picked a good one.

(Do you get extra points for a picture taken with multiple cars? We are having a small get-to-gether on Saturday with between 1-6 cars, weather dependent)

(p.s. I'm an ex-pat also)

sean
03-21-2012, 04:10 PM

He's also one of the nicest guy's around too.

brit0n
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM

(Do you get extra points for a picture taken with multiple cars? We are having a small get-to-gether on Saturday with between 1-6 cars, weather dependent)

(p.s. I'm an ex-pat also)

I chose a good one? I think Mark chose me - it's beautiful but I can't compare as it's the only one I've seen "in the flesh".

I assume that's the meet in Calhoun GA? I don't know but I'll ask the Team Leader. It isn't on the task list but you never know.

(Ex-pat? It's so long since I was actually resident in the UK, I have no idea what I am - been resident in too many places and continents. Certainly here is home!)

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 04:47 PM
We'll take one and post it here on Saturday. What you do with it is up to you...

Personally I think it should be 30 points x # of cars :)

brit0n
03-21-2012, 05:20 PM
We'll take one and post it here on Saturday. What you do with it is up to you...

Personally I think it should be 30 points x # of cars :)

That's wonderful! Please remember to include the logo (I did mine by sticking two letter sized cards together so I attach the two halves - the full one is already on here somewhere). I just checked the mileage and I could get more points (definite ones) with that amount of driving!

I'm still trying to get someone who can take a couple of pics in Atlanta (Google office and Capitol - can't think of any other recognisable landmarks) and at Stone Mountain (the world's largest bas-relief - the Confederate heroes), but it looks like I have to head for mid-town and then go on. Any takers? (Rather off-topic with that one :thankyou: )

thirdmanj
03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
That is a fantastic tint job! Where did he get it done?

brit0n
03-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Oops! Forgot to attach the logos - here they are. One is the complete one, the other two if you want to print it in two pieces.

Dangermouse
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Didnt know there were Google offices in town

How about the Big Chicken in Marietta ?

brit0n
03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Didnt know there were Google offices in town

How about the Big Chicken in Marietta ?

I thought of that but it's further from me than doing Stone Mountain round-trip via Google office (might visit High Museum while I'm there). Will also try to get Capitol - and I don't know if one can stop at the Olympic flame that Mohammed Ali climbed.

Are you near the chicken?

Mark C
03-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, but I just did what anyone else here would have done. This is a great group of guys. I wish I had more time for tech sessions and DMCTalk, but family and work have to come first. It was nice meeting you Peter (brit0n), and I wish team WearTheFoxHat all the best in the Hunt.

That is a fantastic tint job! Where did he get it done?

Thanks - I had the tint done (35% - legal limit) at Spectrum Sound in Union City, GA, but they have since gone out of business.

Dangermouse
03-22-2012, 07:41 AM
I thought of that but it's further from me than doing Stone Mountain round-trip via Google office (might visit High Museum while I'm there). Will also try to get Capitol - and I don't know if one can stop at the Olympic flame that Mohammed Ali climbed.

Are you near the chicken?

No I live on the other side of town near........ well there's nothing famous out here.

Double points for a pic of your logo on a DeLorean outside the Big Chicken? :)

Read through the list of tasks last night btw. Some of them are quite challenging to say the least (I mean, getting a Like on Google +, how possible is that ;) )

brit0n
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
No I live on the other side of town near........ well there's nothing famous out here.

Double points for a pic of your logo on a DeLorean outside the Big Chicken? :)

Read through the list of tasks last night btw. Some of them are quite challenging to say the least (I mean, getting a Like on Google +, how possible is that ;) )

Well, I was GOING to drive to Stone Mountain tomorrow (the carving of the Confederate heroes is the largest bas-relief in the world) and pick up Google office in Atlanta on the way back. But re-reading the task "I've got more friends than you on Facebook. I have more circles than you on Google+. I have more twits than you on Twitter, and I'm going to prove it. Get your friends around the world to take a photo of themselves in front of a famous local landmark holding your team logo. [5 points per distinct country, max 100 points. +10 points for each of the following: Taj Mahal, Machu Pichu, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House, Pyramids of Giza,
Times Square, Red Square, Tianamen Square, the Burj al Arab, Tahrir Square, Mohatta
Palace, Ma'amoon Telecommunication Center tower, The Wahgah border, Ahsan Manzil,
anywhere on the Hyujeonseon. 300 points for all 16]" I checked with the Team Leader and my thinking is correct - no points for a second landmark in the U.S. and we have Times Square and I think others so unless the South rises again quickly and declares itself as a sovereign state, the chicken and the carving are no good :(

Thanks. Google office will still get points but it's not worth a drive from here to mid-town just for that! So right now, I have computers doing prime factorization of a 99 digit number (but even with 2 PCs running 4 cores I doubt the algorithm will get to the required 50 digits by the deadline) and trying to decrypt a coded message (all the techies in the team are working it with no joy so far). The DeLorean was the big points from this end :) Of course, if you see any tasks you like the look of, jump in! Goods luck with getting your DeLoreans together - I hope they breed :D

brit0n
03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
This is very off-topic but as you've helped me get so many points and the team is now bouncing between 1st and 3rd places (that's where the money is and we don't want to slip to 4th), we have a very short video clip - spoof ad. We need 1000 views by 6pm Eastern. Someone told us YouTube stopped the counter because of repeat views - dunno if that's true, but could you view this and share it with anyone and everyone please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSgHVcphVk

Many thanks. I'll let you know where we end up when it closes at 6pm or you can see for yourself at http://scavenger.freelancer.com/dashboard

brit0n
03-25-2012, 10:41 PM
I thought you'd like to know the result of the scavenger hunt... well, there were 1,987 teams around the globe.

Our team WearTheFoxHat grabbed 2 daily prizes of $1,000 each and came 1st overall - scoreboard at http://scavenger.freelancer.com/dashboard for $25,000

That means that in addition to donations which the team received while completing some tasks, the competition netted $27,000 for http://www.snehalaya.org/

Thanks for all the help and encouragement and of course to Mark for the use of his beautiful machine which gained 100 points out of the team total of 3,564 which is no small contribution!

I guess this thread is about done lol

Dangermouse
03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Well done !!!

Mark C
03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Congratulations on the win! Glad to be able to help.

Dangermouse
03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Is there a breakdown of where the points came from? I'd love to see which tasks you completed.