PDA

View Full Version : Wanted MOMO Evolution Steering Wheel

sadeeky
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
I love the new MOMO Evolution Steering Wheel that DMCH sells. What are everyone's thoughts about it?

I think it brings out the sports car in the Delorean
Great with Black interior
Modernizes it a bit

Nicholas R
03-22-2012, 01:49 AM
I like it. Just fyi, you can get a knock off on ebay for $35. Yes I know it's a knock off, but I bought one just for kicks, and I was actually surprised at how sturdy it feels. Even has an integrated horn switch if you want to hook it up. I'm sure the Momo one is nicer but I doubt it's $300 nicer.

Here's an example of the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-REAL-LEATHER-350mm-STEERING-WHEEL-EVO-STYLE-/180845603824?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1b3cebf0&vxp=mtr#ht_2954wt_1185

here's the wheel:
http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/23000566/images/sw-94163-bk.jpg

Just add your own "DMC"

EDIT
Here's a picture of my "Knock Off" wheel:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6856/steeringwheelb.jpg

sadeeky
03-22-2012, 04:29 AM
I like it. Just fyi, you can get a knock off on ebay for $35. Yes I know it's a knock off, but I bought one just for kicks, and I was actually surprised at how sturdy it feels. Even has an integrated horn switch if you want to hook it up. I'm sure the Momo one is nicer but I doubt it's $300 nicer.

Here's an example of the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-REAL-LEATHER-350mm-STEERING-WHEEL-EVO-STYLE-/180845603824?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1b3cebf0&vxp=mtr#ht_2954wt_1185

here's the wheel:

Just add your own "DMC"

EDIT

OH wow that looks just like the MOMO one. That is a hell of a lot cheaper. Thanks for the info

Tillsy
03-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Great find!!! You can certainly see the leather is not the same quality and texture as the MOMO, but not bad...

Did you use the DMCH adapter with it?

Michael
03-22-2012, 07:51 AM
I would definately go with the knock off brand...and the blank space is a good spot for a DMC emblem.

I had a MOMO Apache wheel on my modified Talon TSi which I loved the feel of. It was just perfect with the thumb grooves. If you have the extra $$ to spend, the MOMO leather did feel pretty nice, and wear was a non-issue. These knock off brands my look good new, but if they hold up in the long run(both wear and tear, and the dye not rubbing off on your hand) remains to be seen....but for 35 bucks you really can't go wrong giving it a try first.

http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/2010/0707/025804488_07042010223.jpg

thirdmanj
03-22-2012, 08:02 AM
I agree, the MOMO wheel looks great. But I think if it were put in a DeLorean and said DeLorean didn't have the recovered binnacle and dash it would look out of place. Great find on that "knock off". 35 bucks is almost unbeatable!

Nicholas R
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Great find!!! You can certainly see the leather is not the same quality and texture as the MOMO, but not bad...

Did you use the DMCH adapter with it?

I haven't bought the adapter yet but I intend to. It has the 6 holes in the stainless portion for bolting to the adapter.

And yes, I'm not going to try to convince anyone that this is Momo quality, certainly not. Still, my car needs a new steering wheel anyway and compared to all the other options, $35 was just unbeatable. I had intended on getting the momo one until I saw this. I figured it was worth the small gamble; to me at least it was cause I'm sticking with it.

aludden
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I got a similar $35 wheel and I love it. The DMC adapter did cost twice as much! But for that money I can change the wheel anytime and the adapter is the same.
Mine is smaller than stock, so it does cover the instruments more. But I don't care, and it sure enhances the go-kart feel on the car, which makes it more fun to drive.

I love the new MOMO Evolution Steering Wheel that DMCH sells. What are everyone's thoughts about it?

Modernizes it a bit

Is that your car? I'm curious what you did with the shifter. Can you share?

Alex

ccurzio
03-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Is that your car? I'm curious what you did with the shifter. Can you share?

Alex

It's the DeLorean EV.

sadeeky
03-23-2012, 12:40 AM
I got a similar $35 wheel and I love it. The DMC adapter did cost twice as much! But for that money I can change the wheel anytime and the adapter is the same.
Mine is smaller than stock, so it does cover the instruments more. But I don't care, and it sure enhances the go-kart feel on the car, which makes it more fun to drive.

I like the go cart feel too. Do you know if the MOM steering wheel is bigger or smaller than the stock one. I like the small wheel I just don't want it any bigger than whats on there now

You can also get the DMC logo for the middle on the Delorean store. However they are not in stock yet. They said it will probably have some in a month or so.

aludden
03-23-2012, 01:08 AM
For the emblem, I used the Auto Shifter Emblem from DMOCO http://www.dmoco.com/products.html

It's small, but worked fine for me.

It's the DeLorean EV.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought it was a cool auto trans shift with buttons.

sadeeky
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Modernizes it a bit

DMCH also has the DMC emblem to go in the middle. They don't have them in stock as of yet, but they said if you order the wheel they will ship out the DMC emblem to you. Not sure when that will be.

Henrik
03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
I like it..... I was actually surprised at how sturdy it feels. Even has an integrated horn switch if you want to hook it up. I'm sure the Momo one is nicer but I doubt it's $300 nicer.

Hey Nicholas,
I can see that it is a "350 mm wheel". Is that the outside diameter? I agree that this wheel looks cool, just want to know the size to be sure....

Nicholas R
03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
I assume it is OD.

Here are two pictures I just took comparing the new steering wheel to the original one. I'd say it's pretty much the exact same diameter.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3371/img14351600x1200.jpg
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8320/img14371600x1200.jpg

sadeeky
03-29-2012, 01:29 AM
I assume it is OD.

Here are two pictures I just took comparing the new steering wheel to the original one. I'd say it's pretty much the exact same diameter.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3371/img14351600x1200.jpg
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8320/img14371600x1200.jpg

Can you send them again it didnt go through

Nicholas R
03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Can you send them again it didnt go through

You sure? They show up for me both in my original post and in your quote.

Henrik
03-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Yep, the images showed up just fine. So fine that I ordered one of those steering wheels myself.

Henrik
04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I just got my knock-off steering wheel. It looks great! $35 bucks, no tax and shipping included - I can't believe it!

Nicholas R
04-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Glad to hear it! Take a pic of it when you install it.

Hard to beat for 35 bucks!

sadeeky
04-04-2012, 02:07 AM
If you call DMCH they will make a center DMC logo for the center of the wheel

Henrik
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear it! Take a pic of it when you install it.

Hard to beat for 35 bucks! Sure will. I am holding off on ordering the adapter until DMCH has received in the new fuel sending unit.

Henrik
04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
If you call DMCH they will make a center DMC logo for the center of the wheel Oh wow! What is the part number?

sadeeky
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh wow! What is the part number?

Your going to have to call them. I ordered mine and they didnt have the logo in stock but they said they will send it to me as soon as they finish making them within a few weeks.

I am sure that then though you don't buy it from them then you should be able to get just he logo

1800-USA-DMC1

sadeeky
04-10-2012, 10:13 PM
My new NON steering wheel is installed Now it looks like a sports car

Jacko
04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I like the MOMO steering wheel and the knock-off. I wonder if a quick release adapter would work with this wheel ... remove the wheel like a race car. I think it may be easier to get out of the car. Anyone have any comments?

That would impress 'em ... pop the gull wing door, remove the steering wheel, climb out.:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

Chris Burns
04-10-2012, 11:30 PM
My new NON steering wheel is installed Now it looks like a sports car

Pretty cool man! Can't wait to see your Delorean.

sadeeky
04-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I like the MOMO steering wheel and the knock-off. I wonder if a quick release adapter would work with this wheel ... remove the wheel like a race car. I think it may be easier to get out of the car. Anyone have any comments?

That would impress 'em ... pop the gull wing door, remove the steering wheel, climb out.:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:

Naw buddy It doesn't have a quick release adapter. I guess that would be pretty cool. Bit of a pain in the ass to take on and off

SBL
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
I must have made a mistake somewhere. I purchased this exact wheel on ebay (same url), and the adapter from DMCH.

But, the wheel has 6 holes, and the adapter has 12 holes. Where did I go wrong?

steve

here's the wheel:

Just add your own "DMC"

EDIT

Jacko
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
I have always resisted changing the wheel in the Delorean. The stock wheel is the right size, has the right feel and wears well although admittedly conservative in style.

Then along comes the fantastic MOMO EVO ... this steering wheel looks like it was made for the Delorean. Same size as stock, feels perfect in your hand and has excellent craftsmanship. I ordered the MOMO from DMCH and also ordered the knock-off for the hell of it so I could compare them both first hand. The knock-off is a surprising imitation ... looks and feels the same and you have to look closely to see the difference ... certainly a good substitute. I put the MOMO in 4915 and hung the knock-off on the wall. If anyone is contemplating changing the steering wheel in their D I would recommend either of these.

SBL
04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
I have some time on my hands, and want to install the steering wheel. Did I order the wrong adapter (I only saw one on the DMCH website).

I have always resisted changing the wheel in the Delorean. The stock wheel is the right size, has the right feel and wears well although admittedly conservative in style.

Then along comes the fantastic MOMO EVO ... this steering wheel looks like it was made for the Delorean. Same size as stock, feels perfect in your hand and has excellent craftsmanship. I ordered the MOMO from DMCH and also ordered the knock-off for the hell of it so I could compare them both first hand. The knock-off is a surprising imitation ... looks and feels the same and you have to look closely to see the difference ... certainly a good substitute. I put the MOMO in 4915 and hung the knock-off on the wall. If anyone is contemplating changing the steering wheel in their D I would recommend either of these.

Jacko
04-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I have some time on my hands, and want to install the steering wheel. Did I order the wrong adapter (I only saw one on the DMCH website).Steve, I'm sure someone from Houston will chime in when they see your question. All I know is my adapter came from Houston and it has 6 holes ... I haven't the foggiest why yours was wrong.:confused:

EDIT: Hold on ... maybe I do have the foggiest. I ordered the adapter along with the MOMO wheel whereas you ordered the adapter only. Maybe they didn't know which aftermarket wheel you were using ... naaah ...

aludden
05-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I must have made a mistake somewhere. I purchased this exact wheel on ebay (same url), and the adapter from DMCH.

But, the wheel has 6 holes, and the adapter has 12 holes. Where did I go wrong?

steve

Hello Steve,
I just got back in town and saw your post. IIRC, the adapter has 12 holes but you only use 6. It still works. There is an arrow on it that points to the top center.
Alex

Nicholas R
05-04-2012, 10:47 AM
In addition, the adapter only comes with 6 bolts. You just use every other. I'm actually intrigued why Jacko's only has 6 holes. Even on the website they show it with 12:
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/111396.jpg

I believe the extra holes are there to A. work with other steering wheels, and B. serve as jack holes when using a steering wheel puller.

Jacko
05-04-2012, 11:08 AM
In addition, the adapter only comes with 6 bolts. You just use every other. I'm actually intrigued why Jacko's only has 6 holes. Even on the website they show it with 12:
http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/111396.jpg

I believe the extra holes are there to A. work with other steering wheels, and B. serve as jack holes when using a steering wheel puller.Just to re-confirm, the adapter I received with the MOMO wheel from DMCH has six holes.

Farrar
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I have that adapter somewhere at home. (I changed my steering wheel back to stock after I bought the car.) I will get a photo for comparison.

SBL
05-05-2012, 12:26 AM
ALright, here is the story.

The adapter from DMCH does have 12 holes: http://store.delorean.com/c-325-9-3-2-appearance-items.aspx

However, if you look real closely it is actually 2 sets of 6 holes. In one orientation, the 6 holes do not line up with the MOMO or the knockoff, but shift over one and they do. I was really tired the night I got it, and did not try all the different orientations. In the correct one, the screw holes are exactly in-line.

I am going to go ahead and add a horn wire, since its got a button. I will report back on that.

Jacko
05-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Just to re-confirm, the adapter I received with the MOMO wheel from DMCH has six holes.Of course it has 12 holes!! I was thoroughly convinced I was right on this six-hole BS ... I got up, took 4915 to the shop, removed the steering wheel and lo and behold there were
12 holes as shown below.

Sorry Guys ...:shock:

gulwng3
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Great thread! Does anyone know if a D-style Momo steering wheel will fit a Delorean?

Example: http://compare.ebay.com/like/300778631647?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

If you are taller than 6', you will know why a D-style wheel is preferred for getting into and out of the car...:smile:

Thanks,
Andy

Jeff K
03-19-2013, 12:30 PM
I have this Momo Steering wheel.. it's rocks. Feels and looks WAY better then stock.

DMCflux
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Has anyone purchased the steering wheel DMC decal or know if it is being sold without purchase of the momo wheel?

DrJeff
03-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Has anyone purchased the steering wheel DMC decal or know if it is being sold without purchase of the momo wheel?

That center logo looks like a wheel center - black version.

DMCflux
03-21-2013, 09:15 PM
That center logo looks like a wheel center - black version.initial

Sorry, I didn't mean for the steering wheel pic before my post, but the initial pic in the first post on page 1

mluder
03-22-2013, 12:32 AM
OK... Stupid question.

The adapter - I assume it adds some length to the steering column to make up for the fact that the MOMO and the fake are essentially flat on the back? If so - does the wheel end up in about the same place as the original?

Cheers
Steven

Nicholas R
03-22-2013, 01:59 AM
OK... Stupid question.

The adapter - I assume it adds some length to the steering column to make up for the fact that the MOMO and the fake are essentially flat on the back? If so - does the wheel end up in about the same place as the original?

Cheers
Steven

I dont believe it makes it any further out. The original steering wheel has a lot of depth if you include where it mounts to the column. The MOMO is almost completely flat. As far as I can tell, the wheel is in about the exact same place. If I had to guess, I would honestly say it's a little bit less far out from the column.

mluder
03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
I dont believe it makes it any further out. The original steering wheel has a lot of depth if you include where it mounts to the column. The MOMO is almost completely flat. As far as I can tell, the wheel is in about the exact same place. If I had to guess, I would honestly say it's a little bit less far out from the column.

HEy, NIck.

Is it the 330 mm version I'm after? They make a couple sizes but that's the most generic one I found.

EDIT: Wait - It looks like you posted a link to a 350 mm version. Can you confirm?

Cheers
Steven

DMC5180
03-23-2013, 01:35 AM

The DMC center logo as seen on the DMC-EV was custom for that wheel only. DMCH does not offer the LOGO Plate. You are on your own to create one. I asked Stephen about the Logo Plate At DCS 12. He basically said any Trophy shop could make one for you. They weren't planning to offer them. I wish I knew the guy that created the (SS label kits). That type of plate would be the perfect piece for the wheel center pad.

DMCflux
03-23-2013, 02:10 AM
The DMC center logo as seen on the DMC-EV was custom for that wheel only. DMCH does not offer the LOGO Plate. You are on your own to create one. I asked Stephen about the Logo Plate At DCS 12. He basically said any Trophy shop could make one for you. They weren't planning to offer them. I wish I knew the guy that created the (SS label kits). That type of plate would be the perfect piece for the wheel center pad.

thanks for the response. If no one else is looking into getting 1 made I will once I receive my wheel within the week. I will see what the cost and number needed to be made are and then update everyone

Nicholas R
03-23-2013, 02:13 AM

Honestly I dont remember what the exact size was anymore. I will say that I remember laying the wheel up against the DeLorean's original wheel and they were exactly the same diameter. I assume that's why DMCH used it. Whatever the diameter of the DeLorean's original wheel is, that's what you want.

thanks for the response. If no one else is looking into getting 1 made I will once I receive my wheel within the week. I will see what the cost and number needed to be made are and then update everyone

I'll probably be interested :D

Dangermouse
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM
I wish I knew the guy that created the (SS label kits). That type of plate would be the perfect piece for the wheel center pad.

Wasn't that Tamir?

Ryan King
03-23-2013, 04:17 PM
So the knock off wheel is good quality? No complaints from anyone?

The leather on my wheel has been removed. I would consider upgrading to one of these knock off wheels if people like them. But the adaptor seems a little steep, but its cheaper then a new steering wheel

DMCflux
03-23-2013, 05:11 PM
HEy, NIck.

Is it the 330 mm version I'm after? They make a couple sizes but that's the most generic one I found.

EDIT: Wait - It looks like you posted a link to a 350 mm version. Can you confirm?

Cheers
Steven

350mm

Nicholas R
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Wasn't that Tamir?

They were sold through his site but it wasn't him that actually had them made. I bought a set in 2007. Still have all the ones in the engine compartment even though several are now irrelevant. I dont know if the guy is still making them or not. They are awesome though. SUPER high quality. Definitely no complaints.

So the knock off wheel is good quality? No complaints from anyone?

The leather on my wheel has been removed. I would consider upgrading to one of these knock off wheels if people like them. But the adaptor seems a little steep, but its cheaper then a new steering wheel

I love it. I'm actually thinking of trying out a couple different knock off wheels to see how they are. For $30 with shipping I cant help it!

As far as the adapter, I'm not sure if anyone else sells them. Honestly I'm sure someone else does; there are only so many spline patterns after all. Anyone know what the spline pattern is for the DMC steering wheel? I know the column and universal joint splines are 9/16-36 but not sure about the steering wheel. If someone knows or measures/counts the steering wheel shaft we might be able to source a different adapter.

DMCflux
03-25-2013, 10:05 AM

I found an outfit that can make an insert but they said they can't put "DMC" on it because it is trademarked

ALEXAKOS
03-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Got an original MOMO Millenium EVO today barely used for just a $100 on ebay:)
But my D is not in yet from Florida :wrenchin:

Nicholas R
03-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Got an original MOMO Millenium EVO today barely used for just a $100 on ebay:)
But my D is not in yet from Florida :wrenchin:

Damn, I'm actually pretty jealous of that. I would definitely have bought a real one for $100! Nice catch :thumbup:

ALEXAKOS
03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Damn, I'm actually pretty jealous of that. I would definitely have bought a real one for $100! Nice catch :thumbup:
Keep your eyes peeled and your ebay search active;) Another one will be sure to show up very soon.
Good luck Nick!

PS I thought you had already on in your project DMC

Nicholas R
03-31-2013, 01:57 AM
Keep your eyes peeled and your ebay search active;) Another one will be sure to show up very soon.
Good luck Nick!

PS I thought you had already on in your project DMC

I do but it's the knockoff. I can't justify paying $300+ for the real thing but I would probably splurge if it was only $100. Keeping my eyes open! :D

mluder
03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
I do but it's the knockoff. I can't justify paying $300+ for the real thing but I would probably splurge if it was only $100. Keeping my eyes open! :D

Not if I get there first... JK.

Cheers
Steven

ALEXAKOS
03-31-2013, 12:48 PM
oh oh!@

I see a couple of you driving that ebay price up!!;(

I fear no MOMo wheel closing at 100...

Ryan King
03-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Bought a knock off wheel. Here goes nothing!

Ryan King
04-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Got my knockoff in the mail tonight. Wow! Im impressed for what 35 bucks got me. Its a solid piece, seems to be great quality, real leather, stainless steel center. Overall I am pleased. Now I just need to get the center DMC piece made and get it mounted in the car.

Kenny_Z
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
I just ran across the knockoff 350mm again on Ebay and bought one. The seller has more I believe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130884552889?item=130884552889&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

andy blackmon
04-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Here is a picture of wheel installed.
Andy B 0513

DMCflux
04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Newest ebay listing for those who are interested...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Quality-PVC-Leather-JDM-EVO-Style-Steering-Wheel-Acura-Honda-Civic-Integra-/130885683767?vxp=mtr#ht_2370wt_1006

ALEXAKOS
04-09-2013, 11:35 AM
that wheel is PERFECT for the D! And so is the DMOCO shifter set.
The stock wheel looks very poor.

Glad I got a sweet set for that:) Thanx for the photos.

mluder
04-09-2013, 07:41 PM
ANyone know if there's a difference between what this person sells...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Quality-PVC-Leather-JDM-EVO-Style-Steering-Wheel-Acura-Honda-Civic-Integra-/140952172452?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D6850686041013408848%26pid%3 D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D130885683767% 26

And this one... (other than the size obviously - this seller has listed the 350mm one before)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-12-LEXUS-ES300-ES350-100-REAL-LEATHER-330mm-STEERING-WHEEL-EVO-STYLE-/181075685481?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a28f3b069&vxp=mtr

ONe says "100% real leather" the other lists "PVC Leather" (read fake?).

They are probably the exact same thing but I'd hate to get the wrong one if one is crappier for some reason.

Cheers
Steven

ALEXAKOS
04-10-2013, 05:07 AM
I really can't make a logic profit of an item selling for just USD 33 and being real leather or actual stainless at that thickens....
The cost don't add up, not to mention ANY profit.

Head out to buy just a real leather (the cheap sheep skin not any Napa skin) piece and see what that would cost ya.

I believe those are all well processed vinyl leather imitations. Any one has had one for those for a longer time, can tel us if it is worth the buy.

After all, a good vinyl imitation can be way better than a cheap leather quality.

Opel (Vauxhall in the UK) for example, all early 2000 series models all had a terrible real leather quality on their steering and started look like lepers after a few dozen K miles. :shameful:

Ron
04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
was a momo wheel tread erased recently?
I cant find the post where I wrote I bought a MOMO original EVO wheel for $100.

Well.. Wheel arrived.....:sad30:

It's a friggin fake vinyl cast imitation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just glued the momo logo on the horn button and used cheap aluminum centre to represent the stainless.

Opened a dispute and am awaiting my refund....
Either I get full refund or I get to keep it for $10

Sorry for the high hopes guys. And sorry for highjacking this thread FLUX!
Sorry -- You caught me in the middle of cleaning things up...

Kenny_Z
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
It feels like vinyl and aluminum. I really like it.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/steering03.jpg

Quick question for you guys. What size are the pulling holes in the old steering wheel? None of the bolts I have with my steering wheel/harmonic puller will fit.

Nicholas R
04-13-2013, 01:21 AM
It feels like vinyl and aluminum. I really like it.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/steering03.jpg

Quick question for you guys. What size are the pulling holes in the old steering wheel? None of the bolts I have with my steering wheel/harmonic puller will fit.

I believe they're just M6's You have to be careful though because a lot of pullers come with long 1/4-20 bolts and a lot of people try to jam those into the jack holes thinking they're right. Definitely dont; just go to ACE hardware or even Home Depot/Lowes, and buy a couple long M6 bolts and washers.

EDIT: Also did the listings for these actually say the steering wheel's were stainless steel or something? I'm just curious why that assumption was made. I've had mine for over a year and knew from the moment I saw it that it was aluminum, lol.

Ryan King
04-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Got my DMC Plate put on. I am very pleased. Now...to get the adapter.

mluder
04-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Got my DMC Plate put on. I am very pleased. Now...to get the adapter.

Where did the logo come from?

Cheers
Steve

Ryan King
04-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Where did the logo come from?

Cheers
Steve

I got it from DMCflux before he was issued a Cease and Desist.

mluder
04-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I got it from DMCflux before he was issued a Cease and Desist.

D'oh!
That's where I was going to get mine too... It's a shame really. DMCH is strong arming him without a legal leg to stand on.

Cheers
Steve

DMC5180
04-13-2013, 06:10 PM
I really can't make a logic profit of an item selling for just USD 33 and being real leather or actual stainless at that thickens....
The cost don't add up, not to mention ANY profit.

Head out to buy just a real leather (the cheap sheep skin not any Napa skin) piece and see what that would cost ya.

I believe those are all well processed vinyl leather imitations. Any one has had one for those for a longer time, can tel us if it is worth the buy.

After all, a good vinyl imitation can be way better than a cheap leather quality.

Opel (Vauxhall in the UK) for example, all early 2000 series models all had a terrible real leather quality on their steering and started look like lepers after a few dozen K miles. :shameful:

The Genuine MOMO will have a Horn symbol embossed below the logo plate and a [ MOMO made in Italy] w/date stamp under it. Mine says 12 - 11 (2012 - 11th Month) manufacturer stamp is on the back side of the Lower center Spoke.

The Genuine MOMO EVO wheel has a Brushed Aluminum Center and always did. It is definitely 100% leather wrapped.

DMC5180
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Someone was asking the difference in Steering wheel positions OEM vs MOMO/knock-off w/Adapter.

Measured with Wheel Face down on Table.

OEM 5.5"

MOMO/knockoff w/adapter 4.5" You can make up the Difference by telescoping the wheel toward you If need be. Or If your a BIG guy you have a little more room.

ALEXAKOS
04-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the specialist analysis :)

Now after I felt like I was fooled in having bought a replica, I took that thing to 4 MOMO retailers and finally to the Greek importer himself.

The Retailers had never seen a used one so they could not really give me a direct answer. The wheel carried most of the stamps and authentic markings but the leather looked so fake! Almost like vinyl.

Then the importer came in with his verdict. ITS ORIGINAL!

MOMO stopped using hand sown leather applications after 1998. Mine was a 2003 which is a mold pressed leather with fake sticking lookalikes. That makes it l look like vinyl.

Have have never seen a knock off in real life but from the posted images, the leather versions look great.
So if you are looking to get a bargain wheel, between a used and a knock off..... Go with the knock of in my opinion. Unless the used one can be seen before purchase and looks perfect. Not to question the MOMO durability. It is probably way better. But for that price, you can buy 7 knockoffs!!!!!

Will post some real close up images tomorrow as soon as I get it back from the importer.

Anybody interested, I have a couple original ones on sale in my area at about USD120 each. Not sure of condition. If you want I can check.

Nicholas R
04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you for the specialist analysis :)

Now after I felt like I was fooled in having bought a replica, I took that thing to 4 MOMO retailers and finally to the Greek importer himself.

The Retailers had never seen a used one so they could not really give me a direct answer. The wheel carried most of the stamps and authentic markings but the leather looked so fake! Almost like vinyl.

Then the importer came in with his verdict. ITS ORIGINAL!

MOMO stopped using hand sown leather applications after 1998. Mine was a 2003 which is a mold pressed leather with fake sticking lookalikes. That makes it l look like vinyl.

Have have never seen a knock off in real life but from the posted images, the leather versions look great.
So if you are looking to get a bargain wheel, between a used and a knock off..... Go with the knock of in my opinion. Unless the used one can be seen before purchase and looks perfect. Not to question the MOMO durability. It is probably way better. But for that price, you can buy 7 knockoffs!!!!!

Will post some real close up images tomorrow as soon as I get it back from the importer.

Anybody interested, I have a couple original ones on sale in my area at about USD120 each. Not sure of condition. If you want I can check.

Are the shiny/chrome parts on yours metal or plastic? I assume that would be the first giveaway. On the knockoff you can tell they're plastic when you touch them, but I assumed on the original they were metal.

DMC5180
04-16-2013, 02:29 PM
This is what I was referring too regarding the MOMO manufacturers Stamp.

ALEXAKOS
04-17-2013, 02:13 AM
Yup I saw the stamp;)
But that is easy to copy if you are thinking of reproducing the stamp. Aluminum is easy to hit a steel stamp on. All your repro's would then have the same date stamp.

What the importer said, the easiest way to make sure, is weigh it! There is NO WAY a repro can be same weight.

Anyway. Let me know if somebody wants a used ORIGINAL MOMO.

ALEXAKOS
04-17-2013, 02:17 AM
Are the shiny/chrome parts on yours metal or plastic? I assume that would be the first giveaway. On the knockoff you can tell they're plastic when you touch them, but I assumed on the original they were metal.

Nope. Those chrome rings are plastic on the original too.

ALEXAKOS
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
I promised you some images of that original used wheel.

Here are the details that made me think it was fake:

The wheel perimeter had a thin line and it looked like a vinyl mold line

This is the rear MOMO date of manufacture stamp. Notice below how the leather gluing process creates small wholes from the high temperature. Again. looks like raw vinyl bubbles.

Again the same effect on the centre horn leather cover

Aluminum rough scrapes. Could have been made by previous owner

Stitching.... WHAT STITCHING?

All in all I still have a felling this is a fake.. But I can't fight it since MOMO herself recognizes it as original.
My thoughts... Could have bought a knockoff just as well!

Oh...
When removed the centre horn cap, I realized the original button had been replaced.

Or hadn't it?:angry0::angry0::angry0:

Ryan King
07-16-2013, 12:47 AM
SO I thought I would post a little Info on the Momo Knock Off Wheel installation. I just wanted to touch a bit on Houston's adapter for those of you who aren't familiar with it.

So my Original Steering wheel's Leather had worn off, leaving me with the uncomfortable plastic underneath. I have always thought that the DeLorean's Steering wheel was a bit disproportional to the Binnacle.
And what I mean is, whenever I would drive the car, I place my left hand on the top center of the wheel and my right hand on the shifter. The really big downside, in my opinon, is with my hand here, you can't see the MPH/RPM gauge which was really disappointing...

So I opted to purchase the slightly smaller Momo Knock Off version (I believe there are two different sizes) to see how things came together. And I must say, I am very impressed with the results.

Awhile back I decided I wasn't going to install my new wheel without rebuilding the Front Suspension. Which ended up being a New Steering Rack (From Houston), Boxed LCA's, Poly Bushes on the Arms, New Shocks, DeLorean UK Ball Joints, Hot Air Dam, and all that good stuff. But After having done so...Houston sold out of Adapters. :(

Luckily, thanks to vwdmc16 here on the Forum!, I was able to snag one.
This is a great Product!

The outside was nicely powder coated...

And everything came together very nicely. So props to Houston on a great aftermarket product. Hopefully these will be available again soon in the coming months.

So long story short, I got the wheel put into place and bolted things down.

As stated earlier, I am ecstatic with the change. I feel like a smaller wheel is more appropriate for the car. I feel like I have a better handling of the car. I even forgot to mention that this wheel has cut outs on the backside of the wheel for finger placement like on modern cars, which to me results in a better grip all around. All in all I am thoroughly pleased and I will be road testing it to see how it holds up to handling and driving, along with the Fresno 100+ degree heat.

Anywho. Sorry if I rambled on and on. Just wanted to give Houston some mad props on a nicely designed Product and hopefully show some of you that this isn't too bad of a project to do on your own. And these wheels are easy to swap over back and forth if need be.

-Ryan King :rollin:

ALEXAKOS
07-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Great guide! Looks great with a Black interior. Dono what it will look like in my GRAY interior...

WAIT WHAT!??? Houston is out of Adapters????
So I can't find one...at all?

Anybody has a clue how to mount this on now?

EdR5150
07-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Anybody has a clue how to mount this on now?

My research found that the steering column came from GM, so a GM adapter will fit on the splined shaft. Maybe you can find something better than what I found....

http://www.16908.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/112012_0112_NewSteering6.jpg

I bought this adapter for $37 since I tried to be thrifty and save a few bucks. However, none of the mounting holes matched the momo wheel, so I was going to have to drill and tap new ones. Then I was going to have to cut it down so everything would fit nicely. Then, it would need two screws, or something on the back end to make the turn signals work. Finally, all the cutting would have ruined the chrome finish, and so I was going to sand it and paint it black.

I did plan to do all this work, not just because I'm cheap, but because I also enjoy it. However I was pressed for time, and opted to buy the DMCH adapter. For anyone who thinks DMCH is over-charging for their adapter, I beg to differ. If you've got the means and are not afraid of some drilling, cutting, and grinding, I'll give you a great deal on this adapter.

ALEXAKOS
07-16-2013, 06:42 AM
I think the DMCH price is fair, but if they ran out of it... Damn.... I guess we need to get buisy!

ALEXAKOS
07-16-2013, 06:51 AM
ok, Lets roll backwards.
On what other cars was the Delorean steering column used?

Renault?
Volvo?
GM?
Lotus?
Lancia?

I doubt it was custom made for those cars...

I remember all RENAULTS / Citroen / Peugeot had their horn push in on the turn signal button.

Jimmyvonviggle
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I know some early(81) fords and mercurys such as the zephyr and fairmont had the horn on the turning signal.

Kenny_Z
07-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Great guide! Looks great with a Black interior. Dono what it will look like in my GRAY interior...

It looks just as good with the gray interior. (excuse the mess in the photos)

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/steering15.jpg
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/steering16.jpg

ALEXAKOS
07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Looking awesome even with a cracked binnacle:P
Very jealous now!!!

DMCflux
07-16-2013, 03:42 PM
The black wheel matches well with the shift boot in the grey cars. This is why I opted to keep the boot over the shifter plate.

Kenny_Z
07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Looking awesome even with a cracked binnacle:P

Yeah, that drives me nuts. The next major project will be an interior overhaul but that's down the road.

I'm happy to report that I love driving the car with this wheel. It is much more comfortable than the old leather wrapped wheel.

Ryan King
07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah, that drives me nuts. The next major project will be an interior overhaul but that's down the road.

I'm happy to report that I love driving the car with this wheel. It is much more comfortable than the old leather wrapped wheel.

Agreed. And I like how much more accessible the turning indicator is. I feel like its right there. Dont have to extend so far to hit the clicker

ALEXAKOS
07-17-2013, 01:48 AM

For the binnacle I will just have mine repaired with gray leather at a local furniture repair shop. Its less than half the cost of a new one.

I like the MOMO wheel's thickness. I hate thin steering wheels at sports cars. This ain't a rolce royce ot a jaguar!:dork:

virtualchuck
07-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Great thread! Does anyone know if a D-style Momo steering wheel will fit a Delorean?

Example: http://compare.ebay.com/like/300778631647?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

If you are taller than 6', you will know why a D-style wheel is preferred for getting into and out of the car...:smile:

Thanks,
Andy

Did you ever get an answer on this Andy? I'm 6' 2" and DEFINITELY need something like this!

Chuck

gulwng3
07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Did you ever get an answer on this Andy? I'm 6' 2" and DEFINITELY need something like this!

Chuck

Unfortunately, no. Nothing definite at least. I guess only short people drive Deloreans... ;o)

Andy

Marigolo
08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Soooo... nothing concrete on replacement adapters? I called DMCH and apparently they have no intention of ordering new ones anytime soon. :frantic:

ALEXAKOS
08-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Soooo... nothing concrete on replacement adapters? I called DMCH and apparently they have no intention of ordering new ones anytime soon. :frantic:

Yeah... I guess we have to get busy modifying the GM release.

aipri
08-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Man what a depressing thread to read. I just got my D so I hadn't looked into steering wheel replacement options until now. I went from being unsure of the possibilities, to getting super excited at how good the MOMO knockoff looked, to utter despair upon reading that the adapters are gone and DMCH isn't getting any more. What a bummer!

Kenny_Z
08-19-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure we can find some other options. Maybe some research here: http://www.summitracing.com/search/make/chevrolet?SortBy=None&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Steering%20Wheel%20Adapters

We know the spline is GM so if we figure out what our current adapter's specs are we can find a suitable replacement. It just may take drilling and tapping new mounting holes.

The DMCH one is 3 1/4 inches tall and has a slight taper getting smaller at the steering wheel.

Kenny_Z
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
This part looks like it might work: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-2202350030/overview/make/chevrolet/model/corvette

Nicholas R
08-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I can't seem to find what the spline pattern is on the corvette one. Any idea? Also keep in mind the turn signal kick off mechanism is in the Delorean one.

Kenny_Z
08-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Didn't realize the turn signal kick off was in the DMCH adapter. I thought a Vette of that era was a 3/4 36 spline.

Actually, I know a very easy way to check tomorrow. I'll take my D's old wheel and put in on my 66 Nova's spline since the wheel is off right now. I'm pretty sure it is a 3/4 36 spline.

delornut
08-20-2013, 12:05 PM
I can't seem to find what the spline pattern is on the corvette one. Any idea? Also keep in mind the turn signal kick off mechanism is in the Delorean one.

I used a Momo unit for a corvette. I did have to drill and tap to install turn signal cancellers as it had none. I also had to grind a bit of material off the side that faces the dash as it rubbed on the plastic steering column cover.

Bruce Benson

aipri
08-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah for me it would have to be as close a match as possible, I don't know that I'm handy enough to do too much modifying.

Kenny_Z
08-20-2013, 03:29 PM
The wheel fits the spline of my 66 Nova. She's running the stock steering box.

dmcjohn
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
ok, Lets roll backwards.
On what other cars was the Delorean steering column used?

Renault?
Volvo?
GM?
Lotus?
Lancia?

I doubt it was custom made for those cars...

I remember all RENAULTS / Citroen / Peugeot had their horn push in on the turn signal button.

The DeLorean steering column is from the Rover SD-1.

Hope this helps,

John

Nicholas R
08-20-2013, 11:11 PM
The wheel fits the spline of my 66 Nova. She's running the stock steering box.
How tight is it? I thought I measured the spline pattern before to be 11/16-36 but I suppose I could have been wrong and it was 3/4-36. Also yea, the DMCH adapter kind of clicks it off. I think there are roll pins inside it that act as the notches that the plastic signal kick off mechanism rides on. Nothing too sophisticated though.

EDIT, also I mis spoke; it's not that the mechanism is inside the adapter, it's that the adapter has the spring pins on the back side to fit into the plastic piece on the column.

Kenny_Z
08-21-2013, 02:05 AM
It seems to fit without any issues. I didn't go bolting it down though. I don't want to get the D's wheel stuck.

ALEXAKOS
08-21-2013, 02:22 AM
The DeLorean steering column is from the Rover SD-1.

Hope this helps,

John

YOU BET!!!!:aniclap:
The best info we have had so far.

aipri
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Ok who sells steering wheel adapters for old Rovers? I would assume it would have to be a European company since I don't believe they were ever sold here.

ALEXAKOS
08-22-2013, 02:43 AM
I got Ed's GM adapter that fits the column. Just lacks the two knobs in the back for the turn signal off.
Also still sold on ebay at about $40 but needs (not necessarily) mods as Ed described (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3422-MOMO-Evolution-Steering-Wheel&p=112184&viewfull=1#post112184).

I will modify it is as follows:

-Shorten it cause its a bit too long. (could juts add spacers)
-Sandblast the chrome off (cuase I want it black)
-add the two turn signal knobs (To avoid turning it off my self everytime)
-powder coat it black. (cause I sandblasted it)

Al done :smokelot:

So you may just leave it like that in chrome if you don't mind and enjoy your wheel.

ALEXAKOS
10-15-2013, 09:05 AM
here it is before powder painting it:
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/null_zps7171f4b8.jpg
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/null_zpscc0412a4.jpg

and after:

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/null_zpsfc4b0137.jpg

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/null_zpsa0ad0884.jpg

Kenny_Z
10-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Nice work. It looks really good.