PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade options?

jackb
03-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I know a lot of people here say the stock brakes are fine, and you know what, maybe they are. But I DEFINITELY notice a BIG difference in the brakes on the Delorean and my 05 Civic. The pucker factor can get high sometimes. (I don't think the lack of ABS on the D is a major issue in how I feel; it rarely activates on my Civic)

Are the only options for upgraded brakes Delorean Europe (http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=168051&cPath=&osCsid=8d6a98268a5c95765d08bf96c9bd37f6) (€1,100 for front brakes only) or Delorean.co.uk (http://delorean.co.uk/delorean_performance.html) (€2,000 for a whole setup)? Neither is cheap, and I won't be buying them immediately, but the brakes is the #1 area of the car I believe needs improvement.

Does anyone here have either of those and mind sharing your opinion?

(Yes, my current stock brakes are maintained and I flush/bleed them annually)

Squall67584
03-22-2012, 01:35 PM
DPI has a brake upgrade listed on their site. From what I can see, it looks like multi-piston calipers and vented discs. I'm sure Josh will say something more about his product here. I agree, the brakes an upgrade that is a good idea.

jackb
03-22-2012, 09:56 PM
That's the same one as offered by Delorean Europe. I swear I searched DPI before, but all I saw were the factory brakes until now.
OK, so that def affects the prices...
$1,300 for front brakes from DPI/Delorean Europe or €2,000 ($2,600!) for all four from Delorean.co.uk.
Does anyone here have first hand experience with either setup?

DCUK Martin
03-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Just an FYI, the price of my system is in British pounds, not euros. My system includes handbrake cables, new flexi hoses, discs, pads and a new master cylinder. The only items I don't include that would make it an entirely new brake system are a new servo and brake fluid!

In my opinion, there's little point uprating the front brakes alone given the capability of the rear - it's a rear engined car after all ;)

Squall67584
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
This may be a stupid question, but what's the servo? Is it the same as what I've heard called a proportioning valve?

DMCMW Dave
03-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Vacuum booster

jerzybondov
03-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Might be worth driving someone else's D or getting them to emergency brake for you so you can compare your car with theirs? Quite possible your calipers might need looking at etc - this might be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new braking system!

DCUK Martin
03-27-2012, 08:15 AM
That is very true - I haven't seen an original system yet that worked properly, it's by far the most common job I do. Rebuilt callipersn new master cylinder and new flexi hoses.

stevedmc
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
My system includes handbrake cables

Thats ridiculous. These cars don't even have hand brakes.

sean
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Thats ridiculous. These cars don't even have hand brakes.

And that is as far as the handbrake discussion will go here.

DCUK Martin
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Awww - I was going to say that's Steve is correct there too... almost without fail, any DeLorean that arrives in the UK from the US has a non functioning hand brake.

jackb
03-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Might be worth driving someone else's D or getting them to emergency brake for you so you can compare your car with theirs? Quite possible your calipers might need looking at etc - this might be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new braking system!
Good idea. The closest owners to me are in Los Angeles, next time I make it to some kind of function I will ask for a comparison, then go from there.

Nicholas R
03-28-2012, 12:26 AM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6607/polishedframe.jpg

This is the only car I've seen so far with the upgraded brakes and thus far, Cliff has not let me drive it...