PDA

View Full Version : "New Posts" link

dmc6960
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
After clicking on the "New Posts" link on the top left of the page, the link itself disappears. Therefore I cannot click it again to get an updated new posts list. Instead I need to go back to any other page and click it. Any possibility to add/correct this?

Mike C.
06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
When I click on NEW POSTS, it takes me to the new post screen, where the link is gone because im in that section, NEW POSTS.

When I click on a category and enter it, the option to go back to the new post list reappears. :dunno:

I guess you can just click 'refresh' if you want to update the new posts while viewing new posts.

Ron
08-12-2011, 07:10 PM
When I click on NEW POSTS, everything but "Advanced Search" is removed from the menu too. It would be nice if they were still there.

====
Also,
I really miss a quick link for "Today's Posts"...If I scroll through the new posts and pick ones to open in a new tab and then have a power loss (often) it's a PITA. I know there are ways around it...just used to it from .com.

P.S. Please don't beat me Master Mike:chairshot:

Ron
09-12-2011, 01:38 AM
I guess you can just click 'refresh' if you want to update the new posts while viewing new posts.
I sure this is not going on the top of your list, but FWIW, I was trying to figure out why I missed a post and noticed that:

If you click on New Posts and open one, or several, links in the list in a new tab/window, when you return and click refresh, it knows you opened those links and 'un-bolds' them. But it doesn't add posts made after it originally opened.

sean
09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I sure this is not going on the top of your list......

There is just no please you, now I see where bill is coming from.

;)

I think that may be more of a VB4 issue than a DMCTalk issue, but I will look into it......for you.....Ron.

Bitsyncmaster
09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I have seen this also. If a new post comes in when I am ready to clear the rest of the posts, it will also clear that new post. It may do it with other forums but this one is so busy it can happen more often.

Ron
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
THX Sean!!!

Dave,
Yeah I hate that difference. Lately, I've been trying to always use the "New Posts" page to open the last thing in the list I want to view or just close the tab, but I can't break my .com habits.

It's interesting tho. The browser is doing the refresh and it simply resends what is already in the Address Bar, no matter what site or page you are on. I also noticed that when hovering over "New Post" you can see the command is "http://dmctalk.org/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post VB" but once the page is loaded it says "http://dmctalk.org/search.php?searchid=#####", with "#####" being incremented by one each time the former command is used (by anyone). The "New Posts" page seems to be stuck in time (hehe) when you do a refresh because it uses the original "searchid" value. The code that does the "un-bolding" of links one visits since the "New Posts" page was originally opened is a mystery to me...a wild guess is maybe VB is using a list built when the page originally opened to check against a ?"viewed" flag or "viewedby"? so it only makes the ones you haven't visited bold...using this "old" list could also explain why posts created after the "New Posts" window opened are missing. But then that seems like a lot of overhead....eh a wild guess...I don't know diddle about VBulliten other than the user end.

Until Sean or Mike takes time off from giving Bill preferential treatment, here's a workaround.
(I'm trying to be more like Bill and reinvent the wheel, so maybe I'll get a little better treatment around here):

1. Copy this-> http://dmctalk.org/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post
2. Go to the "New Post" page.
3. Add the page to your favorites bar.
4. Right click the newly created button that appears in the Favorites Bar.
5. Choose "Properties".
5. Paste the link from above in the "URL" box.
6. (Change icon if desired) Click "OK".

Although this only saves a couple of clicks, it will take you back to the future...or maybe it's "the page to"...um
Let's just say that it might help keep you from missing new posts...

dvonk
09-13-2011, 12:05 AM
1. Copy this-> http://dmctalk.org/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post
2. Go to the "New Post" page.
3. Add the page to your favorites bar.
4. Right click the newly created button that appears in the Favorites Bar.
5. Choose "Properties".
5. Paste the link from above in the "URL" box.
6. (Change icon if desired) Click "OK".

Although this only saves a couple of clicks, it will take you back to the future...or maybe it's "the page to"...um
Let's just say that it might help keep you from missing new posts...

+1. ive been using that link in my favorite bar for the past couple years. good stuff.