PDA

View Full Version : The D Rex Goes to Hollywood !!

Rich W
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
It's official. The D Rex has arrived at DMC CA GG, to get a little prep work done
in advance of being filmed in a TV pilot over the next few days in Hollywood.

Sorry, not many details right now (I am under contract), but for those of you on
the West Coast near DMC CA GG, the D Rex will be there tonight and tomorrow.

I will be flying out myself tomorrow and I will be at the shop by mid-afternoon.
Feel free to stop by and see the D Rex (and buy some parts while you are there).

More details to follow.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
03-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Day 1 of filming (Friday) went well.
Off for the weekend.
Day 2 of filming (Monday) still to go.
More details soon.

Later,
Rich W.

(maybe a few sneak peek photos too)

DMC5180
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Hmm, Reality show or sitcom? When would it likely "Air" if the pilot is picked up. Summer or Fall?

fnzen
04-01-2012, 11:06 PM
from the photos that Don is posting on facebook its star packed

Rich W
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Since "I don't do FaceBook" (sorry, I just do not have the time now), I am not sure
what Don has posted, but I am limited as to what I can say and do, under contract,
until the TV Pilot is aired. I may know more of a release time-line by mid-May or so.

However, I can point to other public knowledge items, links, photos, etc.

For example: There is only one "in production" TV show currently listed on IMDB
that features a DeLorean Monster Truck, so you can do the math.

Here is the link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2226507/
(this may answer some questions and prompt other questions)

I can also post a few photos of the D Rex taken at the same time as the filming,
but ones not directly connected with the actual scenes during filming of the show.

More photos and details to follow.

Thanks,
Rich W.

SIMid
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Looks like it's based off the UK TV series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081912/

Interesting .......!

Rich W
04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Like many other successful shows in the past, like All in the Family, Sanford & Son,
and most recently, The Office ... all of these shows were based on UK shows.

For each one of these "American-ized" versions of successful UK shows, there are
at least one or more failed attempts, so we will have to see how it is received.

My friends in the UK said the original show was great, but they are unsure how well
the show will translate, since there is plenty of British humor embedded in the show.

Attaching another photo that appears like D Rex was added to the NASCAR circuit.

Later,
Rich W.

SIMid
04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I grew up watching most of the UK telly shows, so I am very familiar with most of them. But you are right! Only time can tell and how it will convert over.

Looking forward to it though, love to see how good the writer is with the conversion from RHD to LHD ;)

Rich W
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Adding a few more photos of the D Rex, pre-dawn, at the Holiday Inn Express
in Pasadena, CA. Yeah, I was taking up more than a few spaces in the lot.

The palm trees in the background were impressively tall ... well over 40ft tall.

Later,
Rich W.

jawn101
04-05-2012, 10:22 AM
....anyone else notice Christopher Lloyd is credited in the cast?? :)

DavidProehl
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM

Yeah, Don has a picture of Christopher Lloyd sitting on a couch next to D-Rex on his Facebook page.

Rich W
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Speaking of sitting next to D Rex ...

I thought I would post the following photo:

This Huge Photo of the D Rex is now in the Reception Area of the Production Studios.

Poster size photo was used to "sell" the idea of using D Rex in the TV Pilot. (It worked)

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Link to photo of D Rex posted by John Leguizamo (Del Trotter character "Del Boy")
on John's "WhoSay" webpage. Link attached below:

http://www.whosay.com/johnleguizamo/photos/153249

Stunt Driver (Rich W.) did all the actual driving.

This photo is the alley set across from Studio 3.

Later,
Rich W.

Chris Burns
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Speaking of sitting next to D Rex ...

I thought I would post the following photo:

This Huge Photo of the D Rex is now in the Reception Area of the Production Studios.

Poster size photo was used to "sell" the idea of using D Rex in the TV Pilot. (It worked)

Later,
Rich W.

They should sell that poster to the public!

Rich W
04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Not "they" ... Me!! And yes, I have thought about selling
D Rex posters in the past. Time to think about it again.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
04-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Another interesting post, from someone at the Speedway filming last Friday.

http://www.audreykearns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Delorean_AudBri_March-2012.jpg

No, I do not recall meeting them, but it seemed like Don Steger knew everyone there.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
The D Rex arrived back home this afternoon ... about 4500 miles, round trip.

I could not have asked for better weather for the entire trip, there and back,
as well as great weather for the two filming days. The only two days that
were a little on the bad side were the two weekend days between filming
(rain on Saturday and high winds on Sunday), so we threaded the needle.

With the D Rex back in town, all "spiffed-up" prior to the filming and running
better than ever, I plan to take some new high-res photos in the upcoming
week, including photos that will highlight a few of the new D Rex upgrades.
I will be away from computers most of next week, but I will post photos soon.

Later,
Rich W.

Dangermouse
04-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Only Fools was part of BBC TV’s backbone in the 90s. It was well written, with some absolutely classic scenes (Chandelier Cleaning Services, anyone). However it is firmly entrenched in England, specifically London, with Del-Boy trying to sell anything he could get his hands on (that fell off the back of a lorry). It has, admittedly, dated quite badly, imho. Having said that, I can see the general principle being recognizable in any big city, with “entrepreneurs” sourcing grey-market merchandise and eliminating these pesky markups (you know, taxes etc). Interesting to see how it turns out.

I don’t mean any offence to Rich W. , but DelBoy drove the most ridiculous vehicle possible in that decade, a battered yellow Reliant Regal van with the company logo “Trotters Independent Trading” – aka TIT emblazoned on the side.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/27/article-1202547-05DAED63000005DC-205_468x309.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/27/article-1202547-05DAED71000005DC-454_468x335.jpg

Did the producers brainstorm what Del-Boy US (Del-Dude?) might drive that would be considered equally ridiculous and come up with the D-Rex? It will certainly get everyone talking about the pilot, but it may not be the inconspicuous vehicle a Del Boy character might need.

Rich W
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Dermot,

Sorry for the reply delay, since I took a week vacation to work on my projects last week (with no computers nearby).

Never fear ... Del-Boy starts out in the pilot TV show with a rather ridiculous car too, before he trades it (plus cash) for the D Rex.

Sorry I am a bit short on the details at this time, but once the show gets aired, I will be able to discuss more of the details.

Hint: Del-Boy may get his ridiculous "American" car back, if the series makes it past the pilot and gets picked up.

Thanks,
Rich W.

I don’t mean any offence to Rich W. , but DelBoy drove the most ridiculous vehicle possible in that decade, a battered yellow Reliant Regal van with the company logo “Trotters Independent Trading” – aka TIT emblazoned on the side.

Did the producers brainstorm what Del-Boy US (Del-Dude?) might drive that would be considered equally ridiculous and come up with the D-Rex? It will certainly get everyone talking about the pilot, but it may not be the inconspicuous vehicle a Del Boy character might need.

Rich W
04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
OK, I saw these details mentioned in several different locations on the Internet, including IMDB, so I can repeat it here now:

Del-Boy drives a '78 Pacer wagon. I am sure Bob Brandys would be proud (LOL).

Later,
Rich W.

BTW: If its on the Internet, it must be true.

Hi Dermot,

Sorry for the reply delay, since I took a week vacation to work on my projects last week (with no computers nearby).

Never fear ... Del-Boy starts out in the pilot TV show with a rather ridiculous car too, before he trades it (plus cash) for the D Rex.

Sorry I am a bit short on the details at this time, but once the show gets aired, I will be able to discuss more of the details.

Hint: Del-Boy may get his ridiculous "American" car back, if the series makes it past the pilot and gets picked up.

Thanks,
Rich W.

Rich W
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Since we were discussing "poster photos" of the D Rex, a few posts back, I thought I would post this photo.

Photo was taken while I had a few free moments after the Hollywood trip and while working on the D Limo.

The neighbor's freshly plowed farm field is in the background (great source for dirt and dust on my vehicles).
Later in the day, with a storm front passing through the area. Not great light, but some cool looking clouds.

This is the "pre-cropped" version of the photo that I sent to Ken K. to put on the DCS 2012 home page.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
For those of you interested (and for those who do FaceBook), a friend sent me this link, initially posted last week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17838662

Feel free to check out the link (and/or the FaceBook poll) and feel free to vote in the poll, as well, if interested.

Later,
Rich W.

SIMid
05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Since it has D-Rex and Chris Lloyd in it, I will watch it.

Never was a fan of the original, so I never really watched it. This version will be a clean slate for me. :)

Rich W
05-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Like many of the commercial, TV and movie opportunities, you really do not know the whole background
of the production until you are significantly into the negotiations. Once a significant time is already
invested, it makes things more difficult to either "back out" or require extra production "limitations".

In the case of using the D Rex in this TV pilot, it was important to me to make sure the DeLorean Marque
was not being used as the "butt" of jokes that included old, worn out (and not funny) drug references or
anything about the DeLorean car being called a failure. However, there may be a few other bad jokes.

And with Christopher Lloyd in the cast, you know there had to be several BTTF references and jokes.

Later,
Rich W.

Since it has D-Rex and Chris Lloyd in it, I will watch it.

Never was a fan of the original, so I never really watched it. This version will be a clean slate for me. :)

Rich W
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Attaching a photo that someone found (on the web) and sent it to me.

Photo is the D Rex parked (just around the corner) from the Coffee Shop set
at the CBS Studios in Hollywood, on the last filming day, Monday, April 2.

Photo was taken just before the final setup, for the last "money shot" gag.

The latest word on this TV pilot is that it is currently being "re-worked" and
the pilot had not been initially picked up for the Fall 2012 season ... yet.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
08-23-2012, 07:15 PM
No news on the ABC/Disney TV Pilot yet, but there was another "D Rex Sighting" of sorts in Hollywood recently.

A co-worker was on a Warner Brothers Studio Tour and they passed through a section that had dozens of photos
of famous TV and Movie vehicles, and right "in the mix" of all these photos was a picture of the D Rex.

While the TV Pilot was an ABC/Disney production, we did film one day at the CBS Studios, but I am not sure how
a connection was made to the Warner Brothers Studio, but I guess "That's Hollywood". Go Figure.

If someone here takes the Warner Brothers Studio Tour in the near future, keep an eye out for the D Rex picture
and if you happen to see it on the tour, snap a photo of it and post it here.

Thanks,
Rich W.

Rich W
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, it was a fun ride for 2012, but ABC has decided against the Kings of Van Nuys TV Pilot (formerly Only Fools and Horses),
even after a significant re-work (early October) of the original filming, that took place in late March and early April of 2012.

Below are a few Hollywood story links, but basically all the same story...apparently the UK humor did not translate well to the US.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/abc-kings-van-nuys-comedy-pilot-not-going-225733069.html

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/abcs-kings-of-van-nuys-comedy-pilot-not-going-forward/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/166031/abc-passes-on-john-leguizamos-comedy-pilot-kings-of-van-nuys/

With this ride officially over, I will post some additional info soon (for those who are interested) and additional behind-the-scenes
photos of the filming at the CBS studios and the finale (the D Rex vs. Robosaurus) at the race-track.

Later,
Rich W.

Dangermouse
12-11-2012, 05:00 PM
That's a pity.

Admittedly it seemed an odd choice for a sitcom conversion, but I was interested to see how it turned out, not least to see the D-Rex on TV.

That's yahoo piece seemed to refer to two pilots being made. Were any of them aired or were they just for internal review/focus groups?

Rich W
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
That's a pity.

Admittedly it seemed an odd choice for a sitcom conversion, but I was interested to see how it turned out, not least to see the D-Rex on TV.

That's yahoo piece seemed to refer to two pilots being made. Were any of them aired or were they just for internal review/focus groups?

The original TV pilot was filmed from March 26 - April 6, 2012 and the re-worked (re-tooled) TV pilot was filmed the first week of October 2012.

Since the original executive producer (my primary contact) was not involved in the re-worked TV pilot, I am not sure how much of the original
footage was retained for the "second" or re-worked TV pilot. The first pilot was screened for a few internal reviews and at least one focus group.

Internally, the reviews were mostly positive, however, some of the results from at least one focus group was mixed, at best.

The goal is to have some of the D Rex footage live on, but we will have to wait and see if that can be made to happen.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
With this ride officially over, I will post some additional info soon (for those who are interested) and additional
behind-the-scenes photos of the filming at the CBS studios and the finale (the D Rex vs. Robosaurus) at the race-track.

Later,
Rich W.

Attaching a copy of the official OFAH Set Map for the first day of filming (D Rex vs. Robosaurus) at Irwindale Speedway.

Rich W
12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
With this ride officially over, I will post some additional info soon (for those who are interested) and additional
behind-the-scenes photos of the filming at the CBS studios and the finale (the D Rex vs. Robosaurus) at the race-track.

Later,
Rich W.

Some storyboard artwork from my first day of filming at Irwindale Racetrack (the D Rex vs. Robosaurus):

Rich W
12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Some storyboard artwork from my first day of filming at Irwindale Racetrack (the D Rex vs. Robosaurus):

The D Rex vs. Robosaurus (first scene, when vehicles "meet")

Mindy and Randy get Robosaurus's attention

Note: Although I was not able to get photos of all the scenes from the storyboard artwork, I was able to get a few storyboard
related photos I may post after selected storyboard artwork. Too bad Tamir did not make it out that day to take more photos.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
12-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Two more storyboard artwork images:

Note the spelling issues in the artwork...Del-boy (Del) spelled Dell, Donnie is spelled Donny and DeLorean is spelled Delorian.

Rich W
12-19-2012, 12:15 PM
The D Rex vs. Robosaurus (first scene, when vehicles "meet")

Dangermouse
12-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm having trouble working out how Robosaurus fits into the OFAH storyline that I knew from the UK.

It seems like it would belong in some sort of Godzilla type show. Was Delboy trying to sell it? Buy it? Was Del on drugs and hallucinating?

Was/is it a real thing or is it all just computer generated?

Rich W
12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm having trouble working out how Robosaurus fits into the OFAH storyline that I knew from the UK.

It seems like it would belong in some sort of Godzilla type show. Was Delboy trying to sell it? Buy it? Was Del on drugs and hallucinating?

Hopefully, the following text (sent to me) describes the TV Pilot (in more detail) as it was reviewed by someone in a focus group:

KINGS OF VAN NUYS (BUSTED ABC PILOT)
(written by Brian Bradley & Steven Cragg; directed by Ted Wass; TRT: 22:19)

The network's description: "Meet the Trotters, Del (John Leguizamo) and Rodney (Dustin Ybarra), two brothers pursuing the American Dream.
But while some folks work in office buildings, the Trotters do things differently, buying and selling discounted, discontinued and slightly damaged
items out of the trunk of their '78 Pacer wagon. Most days, you can find them at The Regal Hound, a bar run by Del's ex-wife Ruby Ross
(Wendi McLendon-Covey) which the boys often use as an office space. Del's the risk taker, always looking for a sweet deal, whether it's
unbreakable pinatas, skinny jeans that are a little burned, or a DeLorean with monster truck wheels. He's got a million big ideas.
And he's just one score away from becoming the next great captain of industry.

Rodney's the more conservative one, the voice of reason, who acts as Del's conscience. Raised by his brother, Rodney is constantly trying
to get out of Del's shadow. And then there's grandpa, Jackie (Christopher Lloyd), a feisty former stunt man in his golden years, who thinks
he's still got it. Even though their half-cocked scams and schemes usually leave the Trotter bank account running on empty, they'll be fine
as long as they avoid the law and rely on each other. Based on Britain's all time favorite comedy, Steven Cragg & Brian Bradley
(Scrubs, MadTV) adapt and executive produce this subversive new comedy about the slightly crooked path two brothers travel on the way
to achieving success."

What did they leave out? The U.K. original, "Only Fools and Horses," ran for seven seasons between 1981 and 1991. That and for whatever
reason Rodney has been renamed as Donnie.

The plot in a nutshell: "I got a line on a deal that's gonna make us so rich, you might actually become attractive to women," Del Trotter
(John Leguizamo) explains to his sad sack brother Donnie (Dustin Ybarra). Said pact is bound to be better than their current gig
(Donnie: "We buy crap and sell crap out of the back of a crappy car. We're basically the Latino 'Sanford and Son.'") and could even get
them out of their ramshackle apartment which they share with their crotchety grandfather Jackie (Christpher Lloyd), a formerly retired
stuntman looking to get back into the game. Unfortunately, this deal of a lifetime turns out to be buying a DeLorean retrofitted as a
monster truck from fellow wannabe hustler Trigger Mills (B.J. Bales).

And despite Del's promises of it leading to greener pastures ("Del: State fairs, carnivals, quinceaneras and if they make 'Back to the Future 4'
using monster trucks then baby we are set for life." Donnie: "Right, 'Back to the Future 4,' Christpher Lloyd's probably dead." Jackie: "Yeah,
I think he is."), Donnie decides he's had enough of playing second fiddle to Del and opts to take a job at a friend's software company in Seattle.
Del of course proves to be lost without Donnie, or as his firebrand ex-wife Ruby (Wendi McLendon-Covey) explains, "You are a stupid freight train
of bad decisions and Donnie is the sad little conductor that keeps you from going off the rails." Ultimately, the brothers make up in time to clean up
Del's latest mess: having the Monster Truck DeLorean face off against Robosaurus at a car show.

Dangermouse
12-20-2012, 09:16 AM
OK, that finally makes some sense. Thanks Rich

Rich W
12-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Armenian Mindy and Armenian Randy get Robosaurus's attention:

(Randy is in charge of the Armenian Mob. Mindy is Randy's daughter.)

Rich W
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Del and Donnie in the D Rex (photo from slightly different view as the artwork):

(Note: set photo included helmets)

Rich W
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM

No special effects. Robosaurus is Real. The Flames were Real (and really hot too, lol).

The Guys in D Rex vs. Robo Flames (photo from slightly different view as the artwork):

Note: Lot's of behind-the-scenes work needed to be done, including calculating the anticipated length of the flames from Robosaurus,
based upon the current weather conditions, wind speed, etc., as well as the pressure released from the on-board propane fuel tanks.

Rich W
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
As big as the world seems to be, there always seems to be something that happens to make it seem small.

Case in point...the D Rex and another story of it's origin...all connected to this recent TV Pilot.

As fate would have it, one of the TV Pilot's writers, Steven Cragg, was born and raised in Texas.
As the story goes, Steven had a cousin who did all sorts or crazy things and had some crazy projects.

One day, Steven went to his cousin's house, to see a project he was working on...a DeLorean 4x4.
Although Steven did not tell me too many details, he said that the vehicle was stuck in his memory.

Flash forward a couple decades and Steven Cragg gets a chance to write a TV Pilot about two brothers
who do all kinds of crazy things and Steven's thoughts flash back to an idea to include the DeLorean 4x4.

Not knowing if the DeLorean 4x4 still existed, Steven and crew check the good old internet, identify D Rex
and contact me through Tamir's website. The D Rex is cast in a leading role and makes a trip to Hollywood.

It was not until I met Steven in person that he told me the back story to selecting the DeLorean 4x4 and
why it needed to be in this TV Pilot. And it was at this time that Steven learned that D Rex was the very
same DeLorean 4x4 that he had seen, decades before, in Texas (with a few improvements and upgrades).
And as they say, the rest is history.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM

With some other threads and posts about Christopher Lloyd being filmed with and next to other DeLoreans,
I thought this would be a good time to post a few photos of Christopher Lloyd with the D Rex last Spring.

Later,
Rich W.

Dangermouse
06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15571&d=1356030667

Robosaurus is now for sale, if you fancy another vehicle:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4504946742.html

$37k seems quite decent for such a vehicle

Year: 2002
Model: Truckasaurus
Mfgr: Maibatsu Heavy Industries
Engine: 500HP Cummins

Rich W
06-17-2014, 02:10 PM
The Highlight of the DCS 2014 for me was after "being paged" while helping other DeLorean owners move their cars out of the tents.

"Paging Rich W" ... "Rich W, please report to the D Rex in front of the hotel, immediately"

I get out front, and Christopher Lloyd is waiting to see my DeLoreans out front. (I had just closed all the doors, minutes before)

Not only did Christopher Lloyd want a ride in the D Rex, he wanted to take his own photos of the D Limo, with all the doors open.

How cool is that? (thanks to Tony Swann for getting a photo with me and Christopher Lloyd in the D Rex, before our "Ride")

Dangermouse
06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Nice shot

Rich W
03-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Day 1 of filming (Friday) went well.
Off for the weekend.
Day 2 of filming (Monday) still to go.
More details soon.

Later,
Rich W.

(maybe a few sneak peek photos too)

March 30th ...

Five Year Anniversary of the first day of filming in Hollywood. (2012) Kings of Van Nuys (TV Pilot)

The D Rex also had it's 15th Birthday about 2 months ago too. (2002) World of Wheels (Chicago)

Rich W
03-31-2022, 10:32 PM
March 30th ...

Five Year Anniversary of the first day of filming in Hollywood. (2012) Kings of Van Nuys (TV Pilot)

The D Rex also had it's 15th Birthday about 2 months ago too. (2002) World of Wheels (Chicago)

Wow ... Time Flies.

10 Year Anniversary of the first day of filming in Hollywood. (2012) Kings of Van Nuys (TV Pilot)

The D Rex also had it's 20th Birthday about 2 months ago too. (2002) World of Wheels (Chicago)

And ... a surprise addition ... a link to a clip of the TV Pilot that I found today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl0V3eqiukg

The D Rex makes a couple brief appearances from about 48 second mark to the 55 second end.

Rich W
12-12-2023, 12:22 AM
Well, it only took about 11 years for this to leak to the Internet.

Wow … has it been that long?

I was doing some backstory research on the Johnny Carson car
over the weekend and I decided to take a look for the TV Pilot
again, and sure enough, there were a few links out there since
earlier this Fall, along with a few UK based commentary links.

I know the UK TV Show, Only Fools and Horses is a revered UK
comedy series through the 1980s and early 1990s, so there was
little chance that Hollywood could duplicate lightning in a bottle
with King of Van Nuys, but I have seen worse TV Pilots.

Yes, a few too many BTTF jokes (less than half made it in Pilot)
and many of the other jokes fell flat (too much laugh track). The
commentary links appear to be spot-on, even though I did not
grow up watching the original Only Fools and Horses.

Only a few minutes of D Rex video footage made it into the Pilot,
after filming for two days, but after having to squeeze onto the
Parcel Shelf for this Pilot in 2012, Christopher Lloyd sought me
out at DCS 2014 to ride in the passenger seat in the parking lot.

A little early Christmas present for all the D Rex fans out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob02R52HK3U

Thanks,
Rich W.