PDA

View Full Version : Found 300 mile car in storage!!!!

DMC3165
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Sorry no pics. Maybe next week.

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me posting about this on the old site. But for those of you that don't here's the story.

I knew of two low mileage D's just languishing away in storage. Today I got to see one of them. A while back I was told the owner of my company had a D that was bought new by his father back in 81. Not too long ago the owner saw my D and it spawned a conversation about the cars. During that conversation he did confirm he had one and it was in the basement under his corporate office, buried behind years of corporate records. But he didn't know the mileage and said he hadn't looked at it in a while. Our executive VP has also had a keen interest in my car and today we started talking numbers. I told him I really had to see it to get an idea of what its worth. So he said ok and brought down to see it.

It's VIN is 3286 or 3296 it was hard to see. It has 300 miles on the odometer. I believe this is legit. The fella who showed it to me said the owners father bought it new but didn't like the car. He put it up for sale but was getting offers for 5K less then what he bought it for. So they put it under their corporate building and its been there ever since. He passed away five years ago and his son my boss has no interest in the car except for whatever dollar value is attached to it. The inspection sticker expired in 1982. It has a fender mounted antenna and is still on the original tires. The body is in good shape but is filthy and showing signs of neglect. I was told the fuel was drained out of the car when it was put there in 83 and it hasn't been run since. So my question for you guys is what's it worth and can it be started where it is without destroying it. More then likely it will sit where it is for another 30 years but maybe I can convince my boss to sell it to me.

Forgot to add: 5 speed, grey interior, august 81 build and ironically less then 150 away from my own making it the closest VIN to mine I've ever seen.

dvonk
06-10-2011, 08:12 PM
awesome. no technical input, but i am interested in the story! keep us posted!

kajcienski
06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes - Keep us posted! Very cool...

Bitsyncmaster
06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Probably the fuel pump is OK but it all depends how did they empty the tank and did they run the engine until fuel was used up after the tank was drained.

My guess is they syphoned most of the fuel from the tank so any that was left would have turned into tar. The same would go for fuel left in the lines, FD, WUR....etc.

My suggestion would be to clean the tank and lines. Install a new fuel filter and fuel accumulator. Your then at risk of the FD and injectors needing replacement but you may luck out.

Dangermouse
06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
My 2c worth before the real experts chip in.

Biggest concern is whether the engine would have seized with the oil completely draining down into the pan and condensation forming within the engine. Add to that the fact that every single piece of rubber must have perished by now with out any movement (and inherent lubrication).

$10k ? With am Ok engine.

Awesome find though. Always good to have a story with the car.

DCUK Martin
06-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about condensation in the engine, but I would whip the plugs out and squirt some oil down there before attempting to start it. I echo comments about the fuel system - it'll still need cleaning out.

Value: It depends....

lazabby
06-12-2011, 09:30 AM
It's probably VIN 3296. I show that it was originally sold to an owner in Long Beach NY.

Malevy
06-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Nice find.. But, unless you have a collector looking for a low mileage car, I don't think it has any more value than any other well maintained DMC out there.

Because it is NOT running, you have to trust the story of the seller. In this case, your boss.. Because you have a relationship with him, It gives the story more credibility. However, you still run the risk of significant cost to make the car road worthy.

Expect to replace everything that is rubber.

Budget to replace the entire fuel system. If the car was stored properly, you may get luck and just have to run some cleaner through the fuel distributor/injectors and just replace the parts in the tank, accumulator and filter.

Once it is "running", do a full rebuild on all of the seals in the hydraulic (brake/clutch) system. Then, expect to some time in the near future to replace all of the cooling hoses (might as well do a water pump at the same time).

Before driving any distance, it will need new tires.

Obviously, it is cheaper to do it yourself.. But, if you plan on paying someone to do it, get an idea what this will all cost to get done. See what else the car needs to make it "perfect". Any cosmetic problems? They can get expensive.

Total it all up, and subtract it from the total value of the car (a debatable number)... but also consider YOUR goals for the car. Do you want to fix it up and flip it? Or keep it for yourself?

DMC3165
06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Got Pics!!!!!

Well as it turns out it is 3286. Which is kind of strange because i saw the vin list too and that has it listed in North Carolina but here it is. 28 years later in a basement in Long Island. Sorry the pics are a little blurry and out of focus. The vin plate pics came out terrible but trust me on the number. I also think it's very unlikely this car will see daylight anytime soon when i told my boss it was worth about $8500. i feared for my job afterwards. It will most likely rot here another 30 years. Aside from that take note in the last pic all the crap that has to be moved between the car and the door. it would take months if not longer just to clear a path. oh well maybe someone will find it 100 years from now. enjoy the pics

sdg3205
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
That's so cool. Has the window been down the whole time?

DMC3165
06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
That's so cool. Has the window been down the whole time?

I think so. Until last Friday the driver's door was partially open because someone fliped the latch at some point and no one could figure out how to reset it. I set it back and joked with my boss "see I already have a little time invested in it, maybe we could deduct that from the price"

He didn't find it funny

sdg3205
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Any signs of rodents? Given the nature of the storage in your basement it looks pretty controlled.

DMC3165
06-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Any signs of rodents? Given the nature of the storage in your basement it looks pretty controlled.

None that i could see. The underside of the car and the engine bay are full of cobwebs but the interior is near perfect. It's a shame this thing will sit here for eternity but maybe he'll come around.

vwdmc16
06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
wow, good thing a big box of files hasnt fallen on it in all that time. kinda sad ive driven my car in just one day nearly 4 times as far as that car has ever seen in 30 years

Ryan King
06-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I doubt its 300 miles judging by the condition. The angle drive is probably broken. But maybe its just due to the lighting and lack of a good cleaning. Engine looks pretty oily and dirty for only having 300 miles.

louielouie2000
06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I doubt its 300 miles judging by the condition. The angle drive is probably broken.

I was thinking the same thing looking at the oil splashed all over the bottom & even top side of the engine. The entire left hand side of the engine appears to be bathed in oil. Makes me wonder if it was actually mechanical failure which forced the car into it's 30 year hibernation? Plus, there are other little cosmetic markers which point to more use: the leather on the seats & steering wheel have shrunk and are quite taut. This is almost always from being exposed to body oil & sweat. I'd expect a 300 mile car to still have ripples in the seats; and have steering wheel leather that wasn't shrinking/retracting, etc.

That being said, the car is still extremely tidy. For instance, the coolant bottle is still white/opaque... not yellowed/brown. This tells me the actual mileage is likely still under 10,000. It'd be a dream resto, for sure.

DMC3165
06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
I doubt its 300 miles judging by the condition. The angle drive is probably broken. But maybe its just due to the lighting and lack of a good cleaning. Engine looks pretty oily and dirty for only having 300 miles.

The lighting was awful. There was one 60 watt bulb in a pitch black room above the car. As for the mileage I only have the odometer and what I was told to go by. I know it hasn't been registered since 1982. But carfax doesn't go back that far. Either way it will never make a difference because they never sell it for what its worth.

tjd
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Either way it will never make a difference because they never sell it for what its worth.

$8,500? Where did you come up with that number? No way will it take 10-20K to bring that car back to life and make it nicer then 90% of it's road going peers. Perhaps your boss would have been better advised to get in touch with Rob Grady and get the car running and prepped properly before being offered for sale. If I was your boss and owned this car and you advised me to drop my pants and sell this car for $8,500 I would have fired your a$$, no question. If this car stays burried it is partialy your fault for the shite advice you gave. My $.02.

DMC3165
06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
$8,500? Where did you come up with that number? No way will it take 10-20K to bring that car back to life and make it nicer then 90% of it's road going peers. Perhaps your boss would have been better advised to get in touch with Rob Grady and get the car running and prepped properly before being offered for sale. If I was your boss and owned this car and you advised me to drop my pants and sell this car for $8,500 I would have fired your a$$, no question. If this car stays burried it is partialy your fault for the shite advice you gave. My $.02.

Rob Grady gave me that number based on what I told him on the phone conversation I had with him on Friday. And he also said sight unseen 12- 15K to get it road worthy again. Rob also said he had no interest buying it for himself because it would not be worth it right now based on what the market is and what he would have to put into it.

Not for nothing my boss owns a multimillion dollar corp. He's a smart guy and I highly doubt he'll make any descions based on what you call my shit advice. He's got Grady's number as well as DMCH. But trust me neither will make a difference anyway.

uhhair
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Such a shame to see a car that's actually savable just sit and collect dust like that. Just wait though, one of his grandkids is going to go digging in that basement and find it one day, fall in love with it, and we'll have a future owner eventually :)

Malevy
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I also agree with the previous comments. It is a low mileage car, but it is probably more than 300.

After market floor mats? Why would that be on such a low mileage car?

Another interesting thing is the throttle recall plate is installed. Did you check for the other recalls too? I don't know what VIN started getting the recalls at the QAC or at the dealer, but with this low of a vin I wonder if it would have been sold that way. 3965, currently undergoing restoration by Tom and I, has none of the factory recalls done on it. Even still has the blue fan fail relay.

If the recalls are done, I'd say that is further evidence of more than 300 miles. Driving the car one full tank of gas and parking it would not be enough time to get all that work done.

It is a shame when people think they have "gold" with these cars. However, in this particular situation, I don't think the car will be much worse as time goes on.. Unlike cars that are left outside to rot because the owners think they are worth more than they really are.

I don't know your relationship with the boss, but it would be easy to demonstrate what actual value of these cars are.

Delorean02378
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Nice find Chris, we appreciate you following up and getting the photos. Another Delorean tracked down. Tough position to be in considering that's your boss. The interior is very nice, the owner should get it out of storage and take it to Rob. He obviously thinks it's worth something and it might be after Rob got it running again.

I miss being 30 minutes from PJ Grady's and stopping by there once a month to see what Rob and Jeremy were working on, however I always seemed to leave with an empty wallet. :)

Kirk

DMC3165
06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't know your relationship with the boss, but it would be easy to demonstrate what actual value of these cars are.

My time with the car was limited. I did not check for all the recalls. The floor mats you see are cut pieces of red carpet. I can only assume they were put there to protect the floor. I have no idea where the mats are.

My relationship with the owner is good enough where it got me this far. In 30 years no one else who works for him actually got to see the car let alone photograph it. We have a good professional relationship. I'm his top earner for several years now. So he gives me a wide berth. In the end it was my own curiosity that kept pushing the issue and I did finally get to see it hoping I could convince him to sell it. When we left it off today he said "well no one said let's sell the DeLorean" I think he was just curious about the value. But I've waited 10 years to get down there. I can wait a little longer.

Jacko
06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Like everyone on this forum I have followed this thread with anticipation. Chris you've done an admirable job of learning about this car but I have to say the car is worth a lot more than $8500 IMHO. Of course any car is worth only what you can get for it.
This D will need some work of course, but some of the key elements appear new ... the frame looks pristine ... the interior, while dirty, looks new ... the engine compartment, dirty but it looks brand new. While I am always skeptical of a Delorean's mileage, I believe this one; probably had a little over a tank of gas used in it.

The car's worth is in the high teens ... debatable of course.

Good job, Chris.

DMC3165
06-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It's always helpful to have different points of view on this. I'd just like to clarify a few points.

First is I didn't in anyway start this thread to debate values. Some seem rather insulted by that but its not what I'm trying to do. Also $8500 was my "as is" offer without attempting to start it. The rest of that sentence was if it runs I would guess its worth somewhere on the high side of $12-15K. But if the motor is locked or you start it and it blows or swallows a valve, then I'm not interested. Also during our conversation they mentioned that they were not interested in putting any kind of money into it at all. We even discussed sending it to Grady's and they were not interested even for an assessment. We also discussed the fact if this was a road ready car the value may be $30-40K range. But we are so far apart. The number of $50K "as is" was tossed around and even that was a "maybe we'd sell it for $50K." It was at that point I basically said thanks for letting me see it. But if anyone here would like to offer 50K for it I'll give you the number.

The other thing a few of you pointed out was some of the updates that were done. I didn't know the throttle linkage cover was not there at the factory. I did want to check for the fan fail relay. But I had about 10 minutes with the car and I didn't want to start pulling stuff apart. Especially after I realized the conversation was going nowhere. If I should get another crack at this. What other updates or things in general should I look for? If I can debunk the 300 mile odometer maybe I can get it cheaper, or wind up unemployed.

tjd
06-14-2011, 06:37 AM
50K? Wow I guess it will sit then. It's a shame but there are others that share this car's circumstance.

A gentlemen at a Cars and Coffee in north eastern Ohio approached me about valuing a DeLorean that a family member owns with 50 miles on the odometer, apparently it still has the plastic on the seats and the window sticker in place. Poor thing, but there where a lot of speculative buyers on these things in the mid 80's. The cars are victims of bad investments and delusions.

Ryan King
06-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Check to see what brand the tires are its currently sitting on.

DMC3165
06-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Check to see what brand the tires are its currently sitting on.

The tires are defiantly Goodyear NCT. But having said that I did not check the date code on the tires. I will the next time I can get down there.

This is helpful. What else should I look for?

Jacko
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
You may or may not have access to the car again but if you do it would be good to confirm that the odometer reading is correct. Judging the condition of the frame the car hasn't been driven much. If the left front tire could be lifted and the tire spun you could tell if the speedometer/odometer is working. If it is I'd say the mileage is correct. The car probably hasn't had an angle drive or any other part replaced ... key word 'probably'.

EDIT: Also, notice the driver's door seal right on the corner where the rubber usually tears ... that door hasn't been opened and closed many times.

Domi
06-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Really nice find and story.
On the other hand, I don't quite understand why the previous owner (the dad of your boss if I understand) bought this car if he actually didn't like it at this time?
Just for fun and try to sale it in the future at a good price?

DMC3165
06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
You may or may not have access to the car again but if you do it would be good to confirm that the odometer reading is correct. Judging the condition of the frame the car hasn't been driven much. If the left front tire could be lifted and the tire spun you could tell if the speedometer/odometer is working. If it is I'd say the mileage is correct. The car probably hasn't had an angle drive or any other part replaced ... key word 'probably'.

EDIT: Also, notice the driver's door seal right on the corner where the rubber usually tears ... that door hasn't been opened and closed many times.

Was thinking the same thing on the angle drive. If I can I will check it if I get back down there. I was thinking of sneaking down there one day and getting more into it but that'll get me canned for sure!

Really nice find and story.
On the other hand, I don't quite understand why the previous owner (the dad of your boss if I understand) bought this car if he actually didn't like it at this time?
Just for fun and try to sale it in the future at a good price?

Truth is I'm not really sure how or why he got it. These are wealthy people (way more so then me from where I'm standing) and have all sorts of connections with other businesses, I know the old man liked sports cars and he may have been approached by someone when they were coming out who said he could reserve one for him. But that's just speculation on my part. The only thing I know for s fact is after he got it he let his son (my boss) drive it and asked "what do you think?" To which he replied "its not for me" and his father said "ya me neither" then they put it up for sale but couldn't get any good offers so down it went. The old man retired from the business in 88 and suffered from alzheimers until he died in 05. I never met him but at that point I'm sure this was the last thing on his mind.

Dangermouse
06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
The tires are defiantly Goodyear NCT. But having said that I did not check the date code on the tires. I will the next time I can get down there.

This is helpful. What else should I look for?

Don't know if original NCTs even have a date code on them.

You could accurately measure the tread depth on them. If truly 300 miles, then they won't show any wear at all.

Look in the glovebox. You never know what you might find. A receipt for a new angle drive, perhaps :)

I wouldn't try an smuggle a car jack down there. Even if you prove that the angle drive is bust, what good does it do you? They are not going to adjust their sales price. Not worth risking getting fired.

sdg3205
06-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Don't jeopardize your career. As you said the car isn't going anywhere.

Why not ask your boss for a day to do some research on it down in the basement. Just tell him it would be in his best interest and wouldn't cost him a thing. Then at least your being honest and you can do all the work you like with out worrying about being "caught."

Malevy
06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Keep your job.. Forget about the car. Boss knows you have an interest, and he clearly thinks it is worth a lot more than it is. People are very sensitive about stuff like that, so just drop the subject.

Let him continue to like/respect/trust you.. and when the time comes, he will let you know he is ready to sell. No need to rush anything, especially because the car is not getting any worse where it is.

DMC3165
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Don't jeopardize your career. As you said the car isn't going anywhere.

Why not ask your boss for a day to do some research on it down in the basement. Just tell him it would be in his best interest and wouldn't cost him a thing. Then at least your being honest and you can do all the work you like with out worrying about being "caught."

I was half joking. They know I'm interested and they know I can help them move it if they decide to do anything. But we'll just have to give it time.

One footnote if I ever leave this place i'll tell you all exactly where it is and you guys can hassle the secretaries to your hearts content trying to get to the owner. He He He.

jmrydholm
06-22-2011, 03:11 PM
That is extremely cool. :cool:
"It's been buried here for 70 years, 2 months, and 13 days. Astounding!"
(sorry, had to say it)

DMC3165
06-23-2011, 07:45 PM
That is extremely cool. :cool:
"It's been buried here for 70 years, 2 months, and 13 days. Astounding!"
(sorry, had to say it)

Sadly he only has to wait another 40 years for this ironic statement to be accurate.:disapprove:

DMC3165
12-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Hey all just thought I'd follow up with this. I no longer work for this company. At last check nothing was being done with the car. It is probably destined to rot down in that basement forever.

Being that I no longer work here and I wasn't in a position to make any serious offer on the car while I was there. I will give the contact information to anyone reputable who would like to make a serious offer. But don't hold your breath.

I did leave off on fairly good terms with my ex boss although his timing kinda sucked when we parted ways but aside from that anyone seriously interested PM me and I will forward contact info. Maybe one of you will have better luck then I did.

timothymoore
12-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Sadly he only has to wait another 40 years for this ironic statement to be accurate.:disapprove:

correction: this car has been buried for 30 years , 2 months and 13 days, astounding lol

pezzonovante88
12-31-2011, 02:17 PM
correction: this car has been buried for 30 years , 2 months and 13 days, astounding lol

Hahaha! I love it. Clearly everyone reading had the whole BTTF 3 thing in mind. Such a cool story, though. I wonder how many 'lost' DeLoreans there are out there. I love hearing about these ultra low mileage cars - I have a friend who just inherited his late father's Grand National with 500 miles on it, plastic on the seats, etc.
But DMC3165, did you let your ex-boss know that he may be receiving a few phone calls about the car? Or, you should give him a final offer; maybe $10k, pointing out the fact that having $10k now will likely be more beneficial to him than waiting x number of years to potentially get the same amount....

Karin
12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, this should be kept into up-to-date topic. Yeah, don't want another one of our beloved cars to sit and not see daylight ever again.

DMC3165
12-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I will attempt to weed out who I feel is a serious buyer or not rather then just posting the contact info here on an open forum. My ex boss and I had several conversations about this car and how I could help him move it if he liked. At the time of my departure it seemed to be a dead issue. My hope is someone I already know from inside the community would express an interest in the car.

In truth only someone with serious amounts of disposable income would want to get involved with this. It would be best if PJ Grady or one of the franchises purchased it because it will need a lot of work to make it roadable again.

I'm sure he'd be willing to entertain serious offers from a potential buyer. Back when I first posted this I was trying to keel it for myself. But I got my recomendation out of it so I'm good.8)

DMCVegas
01-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Keep your job.. Forget about the car. Boss knows you have an interest, and he clearly thinks it is worth a lot more than it is. People are very sensitive about stuff like that, so just drop the subject.

Let him continue to like/respect/trust you.. and when the time comes, he will let you know he is ready to sell. No need to rush anything, especially because the car is not getting any worse where it is.

Very true on all counts. The car isn't in harms way of anything, so letting it be where it's at isn't doing it any harm. This guy also isn't desperately in need of cash, so pride is still cheaper than any other bills he could have. And that's the thing. As it was mentioned, LOTS of DMC-12s flew off of lots in the weeks after DeLorean's arrest. I've even heard that directly from a sales manager from an original dealership who said they couldn't move a single car, and then suddenly within a couple of weeks unloaded them all.

People have very strange emotional attachments to cars, and especially when they were purchased as investments. People will sometimes take their frustrations out on a car when it's not reliable. That means both in functionality as well as investment wise. The first wave of "investment" DeLoreans hit about 10-12 years ago as older investors started to retire as well as pass away. The next 10-15 years are gonna be good ones to buy classic cars as the Baby-Boomer generation dies off as well. You'll see cars like this and others be sold both under duress as well as by those who inherit them yet have no attachment to them.

DeLoreans bought as investments though are a double-edged sword for those who bought them. You have to remember that people were thinking back on Tuckers and Duesenbergs and the like, and thought that DMC-12s would attain those kinds of values. Which they have not and really probably never will. At the same time the kinds of people who had the financial means to plunk down the cash to buy DeLoreans as investments also rolled in those social circles where these cars were never prestigious enough to be welcomed in with the Jags and Rolls. Lots of people have pushed over the years to try and give the DMC-12 a faux pedigree, which just made it even more laughable. Thus the stigma of owning a DeLorean, let alone one as an investment, just seems to embitter people even further into their delusions of one day finally selling the car at a profit just to prove everyone else wrong. Or at the very least to abandon these cars in storage units to pretend that they've forgotten about them.

And for the record, $8,500 is in fact a VERY reasonable offer for this car.

pezzonovante88
11-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Anything ever happen with this?

Tillsy
11-13-2012, 01:43 AM
I no longer work for this company

Did you get caught down there with a jack trying to prove the angle drive theory? :)

DMC3165
11-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I still speak with the owner of this car. It still sitting in the same spot it has been for the last 30 years. I'm pretty sure they have no interest in doing anything with it. I was trying to facilitate some type of deal for it. But only a few came forward and to my knowledge no one got as far as speaking with the owner. I wasn't surprised. Someone would have to show up with a brief case full of cash and a crew of guys to move all the crap out of its way and then maybe just maybe he'd make a deal. But that's the type of guy he is.

Jimmyvonviggle
11-13-2012, 06:08 PM
If you have to beg the guy to see it or buy it then f*ck him. Theres plenty of other D's out there to buy. He must be from the D1 school of thought where only the right person deserves to see he car. And the line that the father drove the car, then aloud his spoiled privileged son (your future boss) drive it and it wasn't for them, makes me laugh. What's wrong with these people.

louielouie2000
11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
If you have to beg the guy to see it or buy it then f*ck him. Theres plenty of other D's out there to buy. He must be from the D1 school of thought where only the right person deserves to see he car. And the line that the father drove the car, then aloud his spoiled privileged son (your future boss) drive it and it wasn't for them, makes me laugh. What's wrong with these people.

Indeed. Extremely low mileage DeLoreans aren't even rare... DMC Florida currently has two examples with under 100 miles on their odometers. DeLoreans with under 1,000 miles come up for sale in auctions a couple of times a year (DMC Florida has one of those, too). DMC Houston even has a DeLorean which has never been titled. The point of all this being: if one is bent on finding a pristine, extremely low mileage DeLorean, they will likely be able to chose from several at any one time. There's no need to suffer an entitled douche to acquire one (especially given that this car isn't even running!).

DMC3165
11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
In all fairness to this cars current owner. It was me, not him that was trying to get something going with this car. Mainly because I hated to see this thing rot away. While its not really my decision wether or not the owner wants to sell it, I think he may have used my knowledge about the community at large to test the waters and get an idea what it might be worth. After all it was very content sitting in that basement until I started poking around and asking questions. So in all fairness to the owner I could never get a clear signal as to wether or not he really wants to sell it. But like he always told me "Everything has a price you just have live with the sale" in all honesty it's been a dead issue for over a year now.

DMC3165
08-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Even though this thread has been dead for a few years I felt an update was nessacary. Unfortunately I have some depressing news to report. A few weeks back we were hit with severe rains here on long island that were unprecedented. 10 inches of rain fell in a few short hours which is over two months worth of normal rainfall here. Fortunately all my stuff survived with only minor flooding at my house (my living room got the worst of it).
Unfortunately the basement where this car has been rotting away for the last 30 some odd years was completely flooded. I can't get a straight answer as to how much water was down there or if the water actually got inside the car but I was told it was halfway up the tires which wouldn't be very good considering the tires have been flat for years. The good news is so much of the paper files that were down there got water damaged so they brought in a dumpster to clean out all the stuff between the car and the door. But I have a bad feeling the car maybe trashed. I will try to get back down there soon to get a firsthand look but like I said I fear the worst. Should this car come up for sale at any point (which I highly doubt, but you never know) I felt the community at large should be aware of what it's been through recently. It may only be salvageable as a parts car now. Sorry guys wish it was better news.

Rich_NYS
08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
I saw this thread for the first time today, I was thinking what a cool story it is, then I got to today's update....

David T
08-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Even though this thread has been dead for a few years I felt an update was nessacary. Unfortunately I have some depressing news to report. A few weeks back we were hit with severe rains here on long island that were unprecedented. 10 inches of rain fell in a few short hours which is over two months worth of normal rainfall here. Fortunately all my stuff survived with only minor flooding at my house (my living room got the worst of it).
Unfortunately the basement where this car has been rotting away for the last 30 some odd years was completely flooded. I can't get a straight answer as to how much water was down there or if the water actually got inside the car but I was told it was halfway up the tires which wouldn't be very good considering the tires have been flat for years. The good news is so much of the paper files that were down there got water damaged so they brought in a dumpster to clean out all the stuff between the car and the door. But I have a bad feeling the car maybe trashed. I will try to get back down there soon to get a firsthand look but like I said I fear the worst. Should this car come up for sale at any point (which I highly doubt, but you never know) I felt the community at large should be aware of what it's been through recently. It may only be salvageable as a parts car now. Sorry guys wish it was better news.

In the end it is what it is because that is what the current owner WANTS it to be. Of course he never expected it to have gotten flooded but if he really cared for the car he either would have taken better care of it or seen to it that it got a better home. It won't be totaled out as a flood car because he probably didn't have any insurance on it. On a related topic, how did PJ Grady do with all of the rain? Did he have any flooding?

DMC3165
08-31-2014, 09:50 PM
In the end it is what it is because that is what the current owner WANTS it to be. Of course he never expected it to have gotten flooded but if he really cared for the car he either would have taken better care of it or seen to it that it got a better home. It won't be totaled out as a flood car because he probably didn't have any insurance on it. On a related topic, how did PJ Grady do with all of the rain? Did he have any flooding?

Not real sure about Rob. Haven't spoke to him since June I think. My own car has taken a back seat this past summer due to a bunch of things that happened in my personal life. I think I only put a few hundred miles on it all year. May give him a call this week and pick up an oil filter or something. I was kinda curious how he was doing myself.

Delorean02378
08-31-2014, 09:57 PM

That's a shame Chris. I remember this post when you first listed it. From a car that was worth some big money to probably a salvage Delorean that's worth next to nothing. He should have done something with it when he had the chance. Try and get some pictures if you have the opportunity.

Kirk

Trstno1
09-01-2014, 03:48 AM
It's probably VIN 3296. I show that it was originally sold to an owner in Long Beach NY.

Would you have any idea as to whom the original owner of 5625 was?

Dangermouse
09-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Can't tell you the owner, but can ID the dealer

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1917-Original-Dealers

DMC3165
11-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Here is an update on this car.

There may be some movement on it. Recently they've been cleaning up after the flood and have tossed out alot of the old files that were in the way. The VP of the company said the owner might be breaking down on this and may either do something with it or sell it. Because it's really starting to deteriorate in its current state. I was allowed today to take a few updated photos.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/2ef2e6ca40cf4a12e52fa289a2c46e82.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/4216c4bbdd117ae172a3d4eb4cc32bcb.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/4eace447a6daffdb12ff8059822c9a78.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/bb70a223482d82146a48b3168891e7a1.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/92e98bd533e28c3fe9843883949de29f.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/b2920d942425aa3abc935b3429171094.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/7e031b173db8d1bf7647c650e19479d7.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/20/897875c7af388ee0644b26a7e46f035e.jpg

I've added a few old photos for a comparison on the interior.
There was a sticker on the door well that I hadn't seen last time that does indicate the milage is incorrect but only by a few hundred miles. Also the interior is starting to get moldy probably from the flood but no water seems to have got inside the car. Also whatever antifreeze was in it seems to have evaporated. Don't know what the future of this will be but I'll continue to post any updates ad they happen

BABIS
11-20-2014, 01:34 PM
wow. I would rename this thread "a tale of stupidity" lol

vps3922
11-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Yep, these look like mold blooms all over the seats, unless the lens is playing tricks on the sensor. It seems to be a miracle if no water got in. But moisture did at least. I am not sure if you could recover from that or would have to toss the interior. It is still looking ok.

Well, keep us informed.

Delorean02378
11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I'd be interested to see what kind of condition the frame is in. Hopefully it wasn't affected. The car will clean up pretty easily but I bet the owner will still be at $30,000 +.

Thanks for sharing. I love stuff like this.

DMC3165
11-20-2014, 05:52 PM
I'd be interested to see what kind of condition the frame is in. Hopefully it wasn't affected. The car will clean up pretty easily but I bet the owner will still be at $30,000 +.

Thanks for sharing. I love stuff like this.

Sorry Kirk, I peeked underneath but I didn't take any pics. The frame at a glance looked the same as it did a few years ago. Not real sure if what it will look like if someone would get more involved. I'm really trying to push them in the right direction and truthfully now is the time to do something with it because they have got rid of so much stuff. It amazes me how they have almost no interest or acknowledgment of what it is. Again I'll keep the board posted if anything does happen.

Dangermouse
11-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks for keeping us informed on the progress.