PDA

View Full Version : Electrical New Battery Ground Connections Help

coreydmc
03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I want to redo my battery ground. I read somewhere this is done by running a 4 or 6 ga copper wire from battery to engine and transmission than back to frame. Where and how should I exactly connect the new ground wire?

coreydmc
03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
also do I need to ground the battery o the trailing arm? can i move it to somewhere else?>

jawn101
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Conventional "upgrade" config is battery to frame, frame to a transmission case bolt. Convenient non-epoxy coated holes are provided at the trailing arm, since that is the original ground point. Hervey has a convenient kit for this.

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-battery-ground-wir.jpg

Don't forget to check all your other ground points. Behind the center console, under the LFF at the radiator, etc. See this post for details on those other points.
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1301-Ground-Location-List&highlight=ground+list

coreydmc
03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I have made these exact wires. I just need to know where to connect them. Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? I may not use trailing arm bolt location. I coated my frame with POR 15 so i may grind the coating off somewhere to there is a nice clean connection to metal frame. Is this ok?

jawn101
03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
I have made these exact wires. I just need to know where to connect them. Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? I may not use trailing arm bolt location. I coated my frame with POR 15 so i may grind the coating off somewhere to there is a nice clean connection to metal frame. Is this ok?

No reason you can't use whatever point you want, but don't use the TAB itself. The original point was on the TAB bracket. But that bolt moves as the suspension does and wouldn't be a wise choice for the ground.

coreydmc
03-30-2012, 10:04 PM
ok great! is this how I should run the cables? Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt or equivelent. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? Should the cables splice together at trailing bolt junction?

jawn101
03-30-2012, 10:06 PM
ok great! is this how I should run the cables? Basically I will start at negative battery and run to trailing arm bolt or equivelent. Then connect another ground wire to trailing arm bolt and run to transmission bolt? Should the cables splice together at trailing bolt junction?

Yes. Join them at a common bolt on the frame before continuing on to the transmission. This will give the best connection.

sdg3205
03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Jon do you have pics? I'm a little fuzzy on which trailing arm bolt you are referring to.

jawn101
03-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Jon do you have pics? I'm a little fuzzy on which trailing arm bolt you are referring to.

Oof, I wish I did. I've been scouring my archive and didn't take any when I put in the cables, apparently. The one thing I haven't documented it would seem.

Hopefully this will help. On my car, the main ground point was one of the bolts holding #27 to the frame. So not the primary TAB, but rather the reinforcing plate where it mounts.

http://store.delorean.com/images/Category/large/5-3-0.jpg

coreydmc
03-31-2012, 07:39 PM
is it ok to use 4ga or 6ga wire for this application? is thicker better?

Bitsyncmaster
03-31-2012, 07:46 PM
From the battery I recommend you use 2 AWG but 4 AWG would probably work. The ground side is a shorter cable so less voltage would be dropped on that wire.

It's the 150 to 200 amps the starter requires that make the larger wires produce less voltage drop.

coreydmc
03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
I already have 4 awg copper wire. can I use that for both lengths?

Bitsyncmaster
04-01-2012, 07:27 AM
I already have 4 awg copper wire. can I use that for both lengths?

It most likely will work. The 2 AWG may give you a start with a low battery on very cold mornings.

Mike C.
04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?159-SpecialTAuto-New-Battery-Ground-Cables&highlight=hervey+cable

coreydmc
04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
i always keep a battery tender on my car since i dont use it that often. I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time or money using 4awg copper wire. I also dont want to mess anything up. But my car is original now so im sure anything is a approvement!

coreydmc
04-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Is it ok if I run ground cable from battery to transmission bolt near end cap, than from trans bolt to the rear frame under coolant bottle where the ground is run from behind coil pack? The reason I ask is because i have my frame coated with POR 15 and it will be a pain to grind away coating for a clean contact. it will be easier for me the way i just mentioned above. i always keep a battery tender on my car since i dont use it that often. I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time or money using 4awg copper wire. I also dont want to mess anything up. But my car is original now so im sure anything is a approvement!

jawn101
04-01-2012, 06:49 PM
You can do whatever you want, all that matters is that you have a good connection.

coreydmc
04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
ok great thanks for your help!

sorry...one more thing. do the lengths matter on the ground cables? I wasnt sure if it interfered with current somehow.

Henrik
01-27-2023, 12:39 PM
Revising an old thread that I though was appropriate.

I have been plagued with a "draggy" starter for a while - until now. The solution was a much upsized, pure copper cable from the battery to the transmission and from the transmission to the original grounding point. Details here: http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com/2023/01/slow-starter-issue-fixed.html

Henrik
01-27-2023, 01:59 PM
Revising an old thread that I though was appropriate.

I have been plagued with a "draggy" starter for a while - until now. The solution was a much upsized, pure copper cable from the battery to the transmission and from the transmission to the original grounding point. Details here: http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com/2023/01/slow-starter-issue-fixed.html

Meant to say "Reviving an old thread that I thought was appropriate."