PDA

View Full Version : How to get your stainless to shine

sadeeky
03-31-2012, 03:25 AM
I have been using all kinds of household stainless shine and I can't find one that really shines really good. Does any one know what it takes to have a really good shine? Is there some kind of sealant that people use to cut down on fingerprints?

Chris Burns
03-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Bar Keepers friend is a good product for the heavy cleaning. Although extra buffing is required as it will leave a powdery residue.

Windex and Simple Green stainless cleaner is good for the light touch ups.

Michael
03-31-2012, 08:22 AM
If you want your car to be it's best and brightest, BKP is hard to beat. It removes all the steel and dirt left in the grain from blending and really brings it to it's best...but it won't stay that way for long.

In a few days after cleaning, the oxide layer will form on the surface which will dull the stainless slightly. The only way to make your car shine better is to improve the factory grain, which can only be done with abrasives and a lot of elbow grease. A few people have done this to their cars and it looks pretty good, the mirror polished cars are definately a show stopper, but over the top for me.

sadeeky
03-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Bar Keepers friend is a good product for the heavy cleaning. Although extra buffing is required as it will leave a powdery residue.

Windex and Simple Green stainless cleaner is good for the light touch ups.

Ok cool! The Bar keepers friend do I get the powder or the soft cleanser? Where can I get it? And how many cans do I buy for the whole car? How do you apply it?

Sorry for all the questions I figured you probably know more than me

Jonathan
03-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Ok cool! The Bar keepers friend do I get the powder or the soft cleanser? Where can I get it? And how many cans do I buy for the whole car? How do you apply it?

Here's a good link Damian:

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/where-to-buy/Florida

I personally bought a small container of both the liquid and the powder, and have still never even opened the liquid. I like the powder.

Follow these general steps:

1) Wet the whole car down, heck, maybe even wash it all ahead of time like you would a normal car with soap and water.
2) Then on one small section at a time, like a door, or quarter panel, or the hood, get it fairly wet with your garden hose.
3) Put a little bit of the BKF powder on a scrubber (scotch brite pad, or likewise, but not steel wool)
4) With straight strokes going the direction of the grain, push the scrub pad along the stainless, repeating a few times on each little strip. If your scrub pad is 5" wide, then you do a strip 5" wide at a time, then move over or up to the next strip. Try to do this sort of thing systematically.
5) Now make sure you rinse off your little section you were working on fairly quickly. This is key, because as others have mentioned, the powder can leave a white residue behind. So wet the area, push with moderate pressure on your scrub pad with a little powder on it in straight strips with the grain, rinse off, repeat.
6) Once you have a whole quarter panel done, rinse it off well, paying close attention to the black areas of the car for residue like around the windshield.
7) Finish all sections of the car, then for good measure, wash it again with soap and water if you'd like to ensure no residue is left.

Now you're done, get your car show stuff ready and head off to the cruise night!

Jonathan
03-31-2012, 09:16 AM
LOL, nice, just saw this on their car care section of the BKF's website:

“I am restoring a 1981 DeLorean. This car was manufactured with a stainless steel skin. I’ve been trying to find the right polishing compound to bring the original glow back to the stainless steel. I found Bar Keepers Friend and it has worked wonders – much better than any paste type metal cleaners and a little goes a long way, and it takes a lot less elbow grease.” – Bob in Greely, Ontario

QuadcityDMC
03-31-2012, 09:21 AM
I used aircraft polish and the DMC cleaning kit. I washed the car over and over and then used the brush pad, and washed again.

Before:
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248111_227898123903379_100000495801550_987065_4837 030_n.jpg

After:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/219271_221356317890893_100000495801550_934970_2129 221_o.jpg

I did find a product that helps keep finger prints off pertty good. Its called "Ice" I kinda like rainx for wax.

I wash my car ALL the time!

Chris Burns
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM

I used the liquid kind and it worked great! It was like $2,50 a bottle when I bought it. Usually grocery stores carry it. You only need one bottle.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
I used aircraft polish and the DMC cleaning kit. I washed the car over and over and then used the brush pad, and washed again.

Before:
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248111_227898123903379_100000495801550_987065_4837 030_n.jpg

After:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/219271_221356317890893_100000495801550_934970_2129 221_o.jpg

I did find a product that helps keep finger prints off pertty good. Its called "Ice" I kinda like rainx for wax.

Where do you get aircraft polish?

sadeeky
03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Here's a good link Damian:

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/where-to-buy/Florida

I personally bought a small container of both the liquid and the powder, and have still never even opened the liquid. I like the powder.

Follow these general steps:

1) Wet the whole car down, heck, maybe even wash it all ahead of time like you would a normal car with soap and water.
2) Then on one small section at a time, like a door, or quarter panel, or the hood, get it fairly wet with your garden hose.
3) Put a little bit of the BKF powder on a scrubber (scotch brite pad, or likewise, but not steel wool)
4) With straight strokes going the direction of the grain, push the scrub pad along the stainless, repeating a few times on each little strip. If your scrub pad is 5" wide, then you do a strip 5" wide at a time, then move over or up to the next strip. Try to do this sort of thing systematically.
5) Now make sure you rinse off your little section you were working on fairly quickly. This is key, because as others have mentioned, the powder can leave a white residue behind. So wet the area, push with moderate pressure on your scrub pad with a little powder on it in straight strips with the grain, rinse off, repeat.
6) Once you have a whole quarter panel done, rinse it off well, paying close attention to the black areas of the car for residue like around the windshield.
7) Finish all sections of the car, then for good measure, wash it again with soap and water if you'd like to ensure no residue is left.

Now you're done, get your car show stuff ready and head off to the cruise night!

OH WOW THANKS JONATHAN for the step by step. So scratch pad means green pad right? By doing after you wash the residue off it gets pretty shinny? So basically wet the car put some powder on a scrap pad. Scrub with the grain. How much do I scrub the sections. then hose off. Is that in a nutshell?

Jonathan
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
OH WOW THANKS JONATHAN for the step by step. So scratch pad means green pad right? By doing after you wash the residue off it gets pretty shinny? So basically wet the car put some powder on a scrap pad. Scrub with the grain. How much do I scrub the sections. then hose off. Is that in a nutshell?

No problem! Yea, green pad, like the plastic-y one. Just not a metal one, i.e. steel wool. Sort of like similar to what you might have to scrub pots and pans in your kitchen sink (just get a new one!).

Yea, my experience is that it gets impressively shiny once you put the time in for the BKF part, and then finish with soap and water. You'll figure out how much to scrub each section pretty quick. Go over each part you do once or twice or three times and you can be pretty sure you've got as much dirt and grime out as you're going to get.

Good luck!

Nicholas R
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Honestly, I absolutely swear by dawn dish soap. The stuff is made to cut grease! That and mr. clean magic erasers. As long as you go with the grain, they do an amazing job. (dont use on the fascias though)

Notifier
03-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I use this stuff. It's basically Soft Scrub Gel (use the green bottle, the white one won't work). Accidently discovered it when I was cleaning the outside of the refrigerator one day and wiped it down with a rag with this stuff on it. Ten years later the refrigerator still looks fine.

Three rags and two buckets. First rag wet, squirt some cleaner on it, and wipe down the panel. Second rag wet, use it to wipe off any residual cleaner. Third rag is to dry.

DMCMW Dave
03-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I use this stuff. .

BE VERY CAREFUL - it has bleach in it (which BKF does not). You can bleach out the side mouldings and blace fascia parts if not careful. They will get splotchy. The lack of bleach is why BKF is generally recommended.

Rich
03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok cool! The Bar Keepers Friend do I get the powder or the soft cleanser? Where can I get it? And how many cans do I buy for the whole car? How do you apply it?
Answers here, see product's web link below. As others are saying, BKF goes deep, isn't needed for quick spiff-ups. Not that it will do any damage to the SS, of course.

1. I've used both, preferring the liquid over the powder. Others like the powder. Both do the same job.
2. BKF store locator is on the website link. Ace Hardware stores in my area carry them. Also available direct from BKF via web link.
3. A 26oz. bottle of liq. lasts ~3-6 applications.
4. Follow directions. Photo of liquid instr. is below.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Notifier
03-31-2012, 05:28 PM
BE VERY CAREFUL - it has bleach in it (which BKF does not). You can bleach out the side mouldings and blace fascia parts if not careful. They will get splotchy. The lack of bleach is why BKF is generally recommended.

Yea I gotcha. I've been avoiding the side stripes as much as possible with it just in case. And don't use it at all on anything non stainless. Thanks for the heads up!

dvonk
03-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Where can I get it?

the local Walmart here carries BKF... could be worth a look.

pezzonovante88
03-31-2012, 09:12 PM

Before:

After:

I use Ice on my regular cars. I was apprehensive about using it on the stainless, though. I'm glad to hear it works.

sadeeky
04-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I use Ice on my regular cars. I was apprehensive about using it on the stainless, though. I'm glad to hear it works.

Ice????

Nicholas R
04-01-2012, 12:22 AM
???

http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/73607/cute-penguin-blue-ice.jpg

dvonk
04-01-2012, 01:14 AM
maybe Turtle Wax Ice (http://www.turtlewax.com/Ice.aspx)? :dunno:

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/ice_synthetic_polish_T468.jpg

sadeeky
04-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Oh ok Nice. I think I am gonna try that BKF stuff sounds good. Then probably finish it with some Ice stuff

Tillsy
04-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Ice????
Yep, ice :)
http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/1/11/Arrival1.jpg

pezzonovante88
04-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Ice Spray Wax.

http://www.shopthedude.com/filedb/8/8/14188.png

yellowmxwheels23
04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
after washing I use Zep stainlees cleaner. I get it at home depot. It really shines the car up and gives it a nice wet look. It's good for shows but not much after that when the dust starts showing up.

Timebender
11-16-2015, 05:20 PM
after washing I use Zep stainlees cleaner. I get it at home depot. It really shines the car up and gives it a nice wet look. It's good for shows but not much after that when the dust starts showing up.

Dirt roads in Jamul don't help. I'll clean my car, go over it with a SS cleaner (Rocket Lustre) and when I get to where I'm going there's a fine dust all over the panels.

mluder
11-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Dirt roads in Jamul don't help. I'll clean my car, go over it with a SS cleaner (Rocket Lustre) and when I get to where I'm going there's a fine dust all over the panels.

California Duster... Duh! :)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=california+duster&tbm=shop

Cheers
Steven

Timebender
11-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Yeah I have one, but they're not as good as they used to be. Mostly it just moves the dust around as it takes some off, but on a hot day when the metal is hot, it leaves behind waxy red pieces of the strands... Bleh.

Lou and "Boo"
01-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Twinkle was recommended to me by some owners.

88KPH
01-16-2016, 06:55 PM
baby oil. wipe on buff off. cheap and water beads lovely.

Lou and "Boo"
01-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Wasn't lemon pledge the big thing?

Morpheus
01-21-2016, 12:49 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/25455605.jpg

Michael
01-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Baby oil? Wouldn't that be easy to smear and leave marks?

88KPH
01-21-2016, 02:16 PM
You buff it with a dry clothe. Easy to do and leaves a fine film protecting the stainless. I was very happy with results and it cost 50p (75c).
Got a pic somewhere.............

88KPH
01-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Michael
01-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Well that's pretty interesting! I may have to give that a try sometime.

Personally I use a product called Rocket luster found at Home Depot. A fellow owner turned me onto it and I like it a lot.

GR8SCOTT
01-23-2016, 02:23 PM
How is the baby oil after a drive? Does the road dust stick?

88KPH
01-23-2016, 03:52 PM
It doesn't seem to get any more dusty than you'd expect. Although I do live in a green and pleasant land!
Even after a wash with car shampoo, the water still beads up more than you'd expect, meaning it is still protecting the stainless.
Give it ago, what is there to lose, except the 75c?

88KPH
01-23-2016, 03:55 PM

(yes I do live on a building site!)

Lenny
01-23-2016, 08:18 PM
<<<
>>>

This is important my wife grabbed a rag and made maybe 2 or 3 circles. It took me 30 minutes to undo the circles.

I'm going to be prepping my car the weekend before the Celebration Car Show in April. If you want to come over, I live in Seminole.

I cheat, I do bar keepers friend then take the car to a local car wash. They love the car and spend extra time detailing it.

dtavres
01-25-2016, 11:24 PM
baby oil. wipe on buff off. cheap and water beads lovely.
Seriously? Baby oil?

So... wash, dry, squirt on some baby oil and rub it off/in? That's it?

How long does it last?
Does it pick up dust easily?
Can I put the car cover on once it's dry?

Michael
01-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Seriously, try this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rockit-Oil-9-5-oz-Lustre-Stainless-Steel-Cleaner-and-Polish-RIO-LR-951600/203397471;jsessionid=A6A636FA4472E806054FEFB3165A4 586

It has nano technology which does many things. It's good at polishing babys too.

Redsquall
01-29-2016, 09:49 AM
I'd like to know this as well - what is the longest lasting, shiniest and reasonable amount of work solution?
Thanks

Seriously? Baby oil?

So... wash, dry, squirt on some baby oil and rub it off/in? That's it?

How long does it last?
Does it pick up dust easily?
Can I put the car cover on once it's dry?

FLYBOY
04-18-2020, 12:02 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200418/e7c56225cdee11d48777da45827926f2.jpg
Getting rid of the Grain entirely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stainless
04-21-2020, 01:21 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200418/e7c56225cdee11d48777da45827926f2.jpg
Getting rid of the Grain entirely

Looks like a big job! What approach are you taking to get rid of the grain on yours?

Rich
04-21-2020, 05:08 PM
There's a thread about mirror-finish stainless treatment for the D with almost 70 posts in it HERE. (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5682)

Initiated by Flyboy.

Looks like a big job! What approach are you taking to get rid of the grain on yours?

Michael
04-21-2020, 06:50 PM
The only thing about mirror polishing is your panels need to be damn straight. No waves, no imperfections. Mirror polishing will amplify the slightest X in a hood or the smallest distortion around the mirrors or locks. It will showcase it so much that anyone who sees it will be all "Goodness! They left that one in the oven too long! Bet he got it at a discount."

Patrick C
04-21-2020, 07:36 PM
The only thing about mirror polishing is your panels need to be damn straight. No waves, no imperfections. Mirror polishing will amplify the slightest X in a hood or the smallest distortion around the mirrors or locks. It will showcase it so much that anyone who sees it will be all "Goodness! They left that one in the oven too long! Bet he got it at a discount."

This. No car has flawless enough panels to pull this off perfectly.

David T
04-21-2020, 10:36 PM
The main reason for the graining is that it tricks the eye so you don't see all of the minor imperfections, fingerprints, dust, etc. Keeping a mirror finish looking good is an enormous effort. That's why on elevators, escalators, and such you almost never see a mirror finish. When you do they often will protect it with a clear coat of some kind of paint or sealer. My company did a lot of public housing work and elevator work and we used grained S/S and what is called "ridigized" S/S. Kind of like diamond plate with ridges or bumps. It doesn't need paint, and doesn't corrode. Is easy to clean. On a car, having a mirror finish can make the car hard to see or a blinding light. Not exactly what you want (not very practical and very high maintenance). Last point, if you get wet leaves on it they must be removed IMMEDIATELY! They will stain the surface and it is difficult to remove. Even on a grained finish they will stain but on a mirror finish it will be even more obvious and harder to remove. It does look stunning though.

FLYBOY
05-18-2020, 07:29 PM
I have NO X on mine and Front has been done for 2 years now and it’s still as shiny as ever. I do nothing to it except wipe it down (not often)
Agree it is hard work but
Kinda disagree on flaws I actually have a door that has been hit and one can barely see a simple dimple in it yes even shined mirror finish

So what’s my secret to degrain....well, I confirmed with Nicholson
Here it is:

Hard Work

So my method is:: all silicon carbide sandpaper 400 dry approx. 200 4 inch swipes back and forth then another 200 4 inch swipes with 400 grit wet sand with bar keepers friend. Then I repeat that process with 600 grit dry and then wet again then move on to the same process with 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 dry and wet!
Needless to say it is tiring
After the whole will be done I’ll do a diamond paste with 3000 but I haven’t got there just yet maybe by July I think I’ll be done.
Couple hours here and there at night.
I’ve noticed twice now if I don’t take my time with the 600 grit because it is the most critical to get out the lines then have to go back to that step and repeat everything all over.

So far spend bout 150 hours and only 1/2 done.

TheStoot
09-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Isn't that just going to blind other drivers on the road when the sun reflects off the panels in the sun? I would think that could get quite dangerous. Didn't beiber have a chrome shiny car like that and got in trouble cause it blinded people on the highway?

er1c
09-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Isn't that just going to blind other drivers on the road when the sun reflects off the panels in the sun? I would think that could get quite dangerous. Didn't beiber have a chrome shiny car like that and got in trouble cause it blinded people on the highway?

I reckon most panels are angled so much it would reflect up into the sky...... not like a reflection off something like a LR Defender windscreen which smacks you right in the eyeline as its virtually vertical.

MrChocky
09-12-2020, 01:08 PM
I reckon most panels are angled so much it would reflect up into the sky...... not like a reflection off something like a LR Defender windscreen which smacks you right in the eyeline as its virtually vertical.

Not quite; recall your high school optics. All it takes is the sun in the right place. Downtown Sacramento there's a skyscraper with a huge shiny, 45 degree roof. At certain
times of the year, it sends blinding light down highway 80.

FLYBOY
09-12-2020, 01:17 PM
If you want your car to be it's best and brightest, BKP is hard to beat. It removes all the steel and dirt left in the grain from blending and really brings it to it's best...but it won't stay that way for long.

In a few days after cleaning, the oxide layer will form on the surface which will dull the stainless slightly. The only way to make your car shine better is to improve the factory grain, which can only be done with abrasives and a lot of elbow grease. A few people have done this to their cars and it looks pretty good, the mirror polished cars are definately a show stopper, but over the top for me.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200912/4b71052797569df24effb71d13ca18de.jpg

Timeless
12-17-2020, 11:06 AM
Anyone try the BKF spray cleaner/polish?

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/products/stainless-steel-cleaner-polish/

lazabby
12-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Anyone try the BKF spray cleaner/polish?

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/products/stainless-steel-cleaner-polish/

A lot of people use it including myself. It can leave a residue so you have to rinse well.

Timeless
12-18-2020, 08:40 AM
A lot of people use it including myself. It can leave a residue so you have to rinse well.
Thanks for the info.

er1c
12-25-2020, 01:58 PM
I have to be honest I tend to prefer the grained matt looking DeLorean's rather than the high shine ones..

Delorean02378
12-25-2020, 08:22 PM
I have to be honest I tend to prefer the grained matt looking DeLorean's rather than the high shine ones..

Completely agree. I think a lot of people forget, this is how the grain on a Delorean is supposed to look. I prefer to keep it original.

JOrchard
01-10-2021, 11:38 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried using Sheila Shine (https://www.amazon.com/Sheila-Shine-461216-Stainless-Cleaner/dp/B0013MV1BG) on their car. I use it all the time on our stainless kitchen appliances. I used this stuff in high school when I worked at a bagel shop. It kept our kitchen looking very nice, clean, and smells nice too. Just curious as I'm hoping to get my first car sometime this year. learning from all of you and appreciate any insight here.

er1c
01-11-2021, 05:18 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried using Sheila Shine (https://www.amazon.com/Sheila-Shine-461216-Stainless-Cleaner/dp/B0013MV1BG) on their car. I use it all the time on our stainless kitchen appliances. I used this stuff in high school when I worked at a bagel shop. It kept our kitchen looking very nice, clean, and smells nice too. Just curious as I'm hoping to get my first car sometime this year. learning from all of you and appreciate any insight here.

I haven't but I just use regular stainless sprays as well.. BKF is something everyone needs to use once, just so you can endure the pain getting it removed from anything not stainless :)