PDA

View Full Version : Brake Master cylinder rebuild

rudolf1379
04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi, is there a rebuild kit for the original Girling master cylinder? I have bought a replacement however, I would like to rebuild my original for backup. Thanks.

Nelson

David T
04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
There is a kit but most of the time it won't help you. Typically the interior bore gets all corroded and when you push the pedal down you move the seals past the corrosion and that is what damages the seals and makes everything leak. A light honing usually is not enough to clean up the bore enough to rebuild the master. It takes resleeving and that costs more than getting another cylinder. At Parts Plus you can get a reman'd Cardone P# 11-2329. The kit is a Wagner F1070140 if you can find it. A better approach is to just flush the brake (and clutch) system every other year. This way the fluid never gets bad enough to corrode the metal insides of the parts. A FYI, if you had to rebuild the master brake cylinder expect the calipers to leak in the near future.
David Teitelbaum

rudolf1379
04-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have rebuilt the front calipers, I am working on the rear calipers and replacing the brake lines. I hope to avoid any leaks when I get it back together.

Nelson