PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Misbehavior after changing mode switch diaphragm

opethmike
04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Changed my A/C mode switch diaphragm today. What a pain in the butt. Took the center console out to do the job.

I put it back together, checked that lights, turn signals, etc worked correctly. But have two strange problems:

Not matter which setting I turn the mode switch to, I never feel any air coming out of either the door or center vents. The A/C compressor will come and cycle though.

Also, I noticed that the light ring around the cigarette lighter stays on.

So, uh..... what the heck did I do wrong?!

Rich
04-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Non-functional vents - You'll need to go back and make sure the hoses are all in the right place and the vacuum source is OK. The source hose should pull a vacuum at idle. The diaphragm didn't get flipped over, right?

You say you feel no air - you didn't say whether your recirc fan is working or not. The A/C compressor has little to do with the vents you mentioned. They should blow in the VENT as well as the A/C modes. With the fan running, that is.

It's possible to access and repair the A/C mode switch with the console still in place. Push it back and over to one of the footwells - carefully.

The mode switch hose connection diagram is below.

opethmike
04-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I tried getting the switch out without pulling the console, but I am not a fan of working blind.

Not sure what you mean by the diaphragm getting flipped?

Its dark out now, so it will be tomorrow before I dig back in.

opethmike
04-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh, and the blower fan does indeed work. Way too loud to not notice :)

DMCMW Dave
04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Changed my A/C mode switch diaphragm today. What a pain in the butt. Took the center console out to do the job.

I put it back together, checked that lights, turn signals, etc worked correctly. But have two strange problems:

Not matter which setting I turn the mode switch to, I never feel any air coming out of either the door or center vents. The A/C compressor will come and cycle though.

Also, I noticed that the light ring around the cigarette lighter stays on.

So, uh..... what the heck did I do wrong?!

You have the vacuum hoses connected wrong -or not at all.

The ring on the lighter has rotated so that the feed to the lighter is touching the bulb. You need to rotate it back.

opethmike
04-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks on both points, Dave. Looks like I'll be digging back in tomorrow. Joy! :)

Rich
04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by the diaphragm getting flipped?

The diaphragm seal has a ridged side that faces toward the ports. The other side is smooth, faces the shaft. Unlikely, but it's possible to put it in backward....

Check all of the hoses first.

opethmike
04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
That's what I figured you meant, but wasn't certain. There are those little stubs on the back of the diaphragm, so I'm pretty sure I did get that part right. Probably the hoses indeed, I did manage to knock some other stuff loose while I was back there.