PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo or Stage 3 Upgrade On PRV

Alves
04-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi guys, I have been wondering whether or not I want to swap the engine out of my delorean or rather just build on the PRV. My question is if I was going to keep the original engine and strive for the most power I could, would it be more intelligent to get the stage 3 upgrade or to install a twin turbo. Kind of a second question on top of the first, which would be the best twin turbo, the Island or another aftermarket one.

Ps. I already have the eibach suspension, at what amount of power would I need to replace the tranny and any other parts that would be affected by the increase in power.

Thanks, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge on certain aspects as I am learning as I go.

1batt4u
04-21-2012, 11:56 PM
DPI Josh is working on the Twin Turbo project!

Let's see what he comes up with!! He always does a great job, and good prices!!!

sadeeky
04-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi guys, I have been wondering whether or not I want to swap the engine out of my delorean or rather just build on the PRV. My question is if I was going to keep the original engine and strive for the most power I could, would it be more intelligent to get the stage 3 upgrade or to install a twin turbo. Kind of a second question on top of the first, which would be the best twin turbo, the Island or another aftermarket one.

Ps. I already have the eibach suspension, at what amount of power would I need to replace the tranny and any other parts that would be affected by the increase in power.

Thanks, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge on certain aspects as I am learning as I go.

Good question, I am wondering the same too

outatym2001
04-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Out of all the replies you will get 33.3 % will say, “It’s not worth the money and hassle for so little gain.” 33.3% will say, “Go for the twin Turbo.” 33.3% will say, “Go for the Supercharger.”

Oh, and you asked, “What about an engine swap?”

With out describing how are you going to accomplish the above then it’s really hard to recommend the best solution for you.
Here is a quote I have heard many times. “Speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?”

I’m not an auto mechanic so my knowledge is limited. However, DMC Northwest in Bellevue, Washington installed the first customer paid Sprintex supercharger on a DeLorean PRV. It’s a very new beast and it will take some time to see how well it operates in a daily driver. Our old DeLoreans do not requre any emmissions testing here in Washington state so if there is a future problem it may never be realized since you can keep driving your old car and not have a clue whether the air / fuel mixture and timing are correct.

Thread about the supercharged D.
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2130-Stage-III-Supercharger-Upgrade-Thread

There are no twin turbo DeLoreans that I know of here in the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club so I don’t know what they are like to operate and maintian. There are two DeLoreans that have a single turbo that I have seen for myself. Any modification to the orginal powerplant or swap is going to be big money and big headaches.

I would love to do what you are asking if I only had the money. I just don’t care for the increased resonance (noise) of these more powerful engines and free-er flowing exhaust systems.

Alves
04-22-2012, 12:54 PM
To give you all an idea, I'm looking to spend about 10k on the engine when it's all set and done. If that's not enough feel free to tell me. I'm not unrealistic just not well educated on the subject.

Just so I have an idea, how "little is the gain of the turbo. And how does it compare to a stage 3

Chris Burns
04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
To give you all an idea, I'm looking to spend about 10k on the engine when it's all set and done. If that's not enough feel free to tell me. I'm not unrealistic just not well educated on the subject.

Just so I have an idea, how "little is the gain of the turbo. And how does it compare to a stage 3

This is just me, but I would do a Stage 2 by DMC or a Spec 2 offered by DPI Josh. I have a friend with the Island Twin Turbo kit. It works quite well, but puts out about the same amount as a Stage 2. He did his add on way before the Stage 2 was offered.

Alves
04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
This is just me, but I would do a Stage 2 by DMC or a Spec 2 offered by DPI Josh. I have a friend with the Island Twin Turbo kit. It works quite well, but puts out about the same amount as a Stage 2. He did his add on way before the Stage 2 was offered.

I like this suggestion, the only issue i see is, don't I have to send the delorean in to a dmc shop. Like I said I'm in mass and to ship the car back and forth to Florida is kind of a headache. If i can get the island twin turbo and have it installed it might be less of a headache. Is there any real down side to the turbo other then it's output? I know somewhere on the fourm I saw someone with a twin turbo along with other mods at about 270 HP. I'm not saying I want to go this extreme but does any one know how much he spent on all that?

Thanks

Delorean Industries
04-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I like this suggestion, the only issue i see is, don't I have to send the delorean in to a dmc shop. Like I said I'm in mass and to ship the car back and forth to Florida is kind of a headache. If i can get the island twin turbo and have it installed it might be less of a headache. Is there any real down side to the turbo other then it's output? I know somewhere on the fourm I saw someone with a twin turbo along with other mods at about 270 HP. I'm not saying I want to go this extreme but does any one know how much he spent on all that?

Thanks

Just for a pricing reference:

SPEC I 2695.00 (exhaust only installed on your engine)
SPEC II CAM/Exhaust 6285.00 (installed on your engine)
SPEC II Natural Aspirated 8995.00 (complete engine plus install)
SPEC II EFI Natural Aspirated 10995.00 (includes install)
SPEC 3.0 single turbo 14,995.00 (includes install complete install with forged internals)
SPEC III Supercharged 15,995.00 (includes install complete engine with forged internals)
SPEC III Twin turbo 20,995.00 (includes install complete engine and trans +brakes and suspension)

Delorean Industries
04-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks

We are right in Ohio and sell our SPEC II package as a parts kit for you or a reputable shop to install. Not available anywhere else!

StainlessBullet
04-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Just for a pricing reference:

SPEC I 2695.00 (exhaust only installed on your engine)
SPEC II CAM/Exhaust 6285.00 (installed on your engine)
SPEC II Natural Aspirated 8995.00 (complete engine plus install)
SPEC II EFI Natural Aspirated 10995.00 (includes install)
SPEC 3.0 single turbo 14,995.00 (includes install complete install with forged internals)
SPEC III Supercharged 15,995.00 (includes install complete engine with forged internals)
SPEC III Twin turbo 20,995.00 (includes install complete engine and trans +brakes and suspension)

What kind of power/gains does each spec produce? Is spec III still the 2.8 block?

Chris Burns
04-22-2012, 01:48 PM
130hp for stock engine.

Spec 2 with K-Jet=210hp

Spec 2 with EFI= 230hp

Spec 3.0 (Eagle Premier PRV) stock engine= 165hp

From Josh's webpage.

Alves
04-22-2012, 03:02 PM
We are right in Ohio and sell our SPEC II package as a parts kit for you or a reputable shop to install. Not available anywhere else!

Do you have a website where I can see what you offer?

Chris Burns
04-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Do you have a website where I can see what you offer?

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/spec-engines.html

Delorean Industries
04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/spec-engines.html

We are currently updating the engine section with additional pictures, SPEC III products and associated dyno sheets for each of our products.

Delorean Industries
04-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Link to our SPEC II parts package kit.
https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/spec-engines/spec-ii/spec-ii-engine-upgrade-parts-kit.html

Anything after SPEC II is a different 3.0 bottom end with forged internals. If you are going to produce power the a beefed up bottom end is extremely important. The only reason why others bolt superchargers onto NA upgraded platforms is because the pressure is very low and the camshafts are very mild.

Alves
04-23-2012, 04:06 PM
https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/spec-engines/spec-ii/spec-ii-engine-upgrade-parts-kit.html

Anything after SPEC II is a different 3.0 bottom end with forged internals. If you are going to produce power the a beefed up bottom end is extremely important. The only reason why others bolt superchargers onto NA upgraded platforms is because the pressure is very low and the camshafts are very mild.

Thank You. I'm probably only going to be modifying the engine after the summer but I have bookmarked yourwebsite and there is a good chance I will be making a purchase in the future.

opethmike
04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I have one of (the?) first Spec 2 parts for home install kit. Its a lot of work to install (you are pulling the heads and entire exhaust, after all), but I am very happy with the results. A stock car can't even begin to compare.

Nicholas R
04-23-2012, 04:46 PM
130hp for stock engine.

Spec 2 with K-Jet=210hp

Spec 2 with EFI= 230hp

Spec 3.0 (Eagle Premier PRV) stock engine= 165hp

From Josh's webpage.

Are these numbers from the wheels or the crank. These seem awfully high for a naturally aspirated DeLorean.

Chris Burns
04-23-2012, 06:10 PM
From the crank I imagine.

Delorean Industries
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Are these numbers from the wheels or the crank. These seem awfully high for a naturally aspirated DeLorean.

At the crank.

denis45700
04-23-2012, 10:31 PM
I have a the bae turbo and twin island turbo. Both are quite a bit faster then my stock deloreans. Both can be a bolt on kit but if you want to run more then 5-6 lbs you should have the motor built to handle the boost. Both mine were done buy the previous owners. So as price I can not tell you but well worth doing. The twin turbo is two small turbos with little lag. The bae is one turbo with some lag time. There is not a huge difference between the two.

Nicholas R
04-24-2012, 12:19 AM
At the crank.

Got ya. Still pretty darn impressive! Well... except for that 130 stock, haha.

sdg3205
04-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Josh, what about the bhp for the spec 1 with the cat delete pipe? That's the setup I've got my eyes on for when I'm done redoing my a/c.

Delorean Industries
04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Josh, what about the bhp for the spec 1 with the cat delete pipe? That's the setup I've got my eyes on for when I'm done redoing my a/c.

I will have accurate numbers shortly. Currently everything is calculated from rwhp. As I just invested in an engine dyno for test firing and certifying each build we send out the door.

dvonk
04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
I just invested in an engine dyno for test firing and certifying each build we send out the door.

nice. very nice. :headbang:

outatym2001
04-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Quoting myself.

There are no twin turbo DeLoreans that I know of here in the Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club so I don’t know what they are like to operate and maintain.

I have a the bae turbo and twin island turbo. Both are quite a bit faster then my stock deloreans.

So I sit here corrected. I did not know of anyone (until now) in the PNDC who owns a twin turbo D. I’ve never met him so I hope one day he will bring them out to a club function. And, on top of that I had no idea anyone owns more than two DeLoreans at the same time.

04-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I will have accurate numbers shortly. Currently everything is calculated from rwhp. As I just invested in an engine dyno for test firing and certifying each build we send out the door.

Awesome Josh...I can't wait to see what my car will produce when your done with her.

Delorean Industries
04-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Josh's 3.0 build will be the last "one off" system we produce. Mainly because everyone that sees it wants one too. This is fine but it is extremely time consuming to do it right. Being a perfectionist makes it even worse. After this everything for owners will be manufactured in quantity by SW. Aka our twin turbo system a few of you have had a chance to enjoy so far. For warranty reasons module replaceable components is important. As much as I like spending weeks building custom kits, it just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. I learned early on these were very demanding to produce and have always kept quite only elaborating when asked.

I had already sworn off these custom builds when Josh contacted me last year. He was dealing with the common issue of a rotting cooling system on his 3.0 crate motor swap. I was set back by everything he had figured out for himself on the install, EFI etc and decided this would be a great last one off project to take the rest of the way.

Here is a picture from a while back. Everything is out at Jet Hot right now being coated. (IE turbine housing, all exhaust components etc.) Don't mind the ugly AC compressor. There for mock up use only.
Planning on having this one up and running at the start of June.

I will really struggle tuning this thing in under 300bhp. PRV's love boost but this must be a reliable daily driver in Az with high ambient temperatures to begin with. Also switched to EDIS and Josh installed meth injection prior to dropping it off.

Chris Burns
04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Very nice build!:thumbup: The Eagle Premier engine seems to be very popular in the last few years.

Delorean Industries
04-28-2012, 08:08 AM
It is the future of gasoline powered DMC-12's.

opethmike
04-28-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty sure I just had an engine-gasm. Damn nice work as always, Mr. Bengston!

Delorean Industries
04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure I just had an engine-gasm. Damn nice work as always, Mr. Bengston!

Thanks Mike!

DCUK Martin
04-28-2012, 09:18 AM
You might like to read this thread on the RAOC forum. NB, Martin F, not me!

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5612&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Delorean Industries
04-28-2012, 09:36 AM
You might like to read this thread on the RAOC forum. NB, Martin F, not me!

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5612&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Great thread Martin.

Alves
05-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Sorry guys i hate to grave dig but I didn't want to start a new thread for the same question.

When you say anything after spec II is 3.0, does that mean a new engine or is it a 3.0 conversion kit for the prv.

Thanks

Delorean Industries
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Sorry guys i hate to grave dig but I didn't want to start a new thread for the same question.

When you say anything after spec II is 3.0, does that mean a new engine or is it a 3.0 conversion kit for the prv.

Thanks

Anything above a SPEC II platform utilizes a 3.0 even fire bottom end with EDIS spark control. Basically anything above SPEC II is a completely different engine package.

Alves
05-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Anything above a SPEC II platform utilizes a 3.0 even fire bottom end with EDIS spark control. Basically anything above SPEC II is a completely different engine package.

But it's a purchasable engine package for the prv?

Delorean Industries
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM
But it's a purchasable engine package for the prv?

Yes. The site needs to be updated.

opethmike
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Damn it Josh, are you TRYING to make my wallet angry with me?!

Delorean Industries
05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Damn it Josh, are you TRYING to make my wallet angry with me?!

Yes :)

Alves
05-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Awesome thank you so much!

Farrar
05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
It is the future of gasoline powered DMC-12's.

It sure is. I am in love with that intake manifold and serpentine belt. Now that I have a garage, I am tempted to start shopping for a 3.0L. Can't afford yours, but may end up buying some parts from you. Or I will win the lottery and send you my car to build into a beast. I can hope, right? :-)